IOS MusicAppBlog

Started by Elantric, December 06, 2013, 11:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

With a quick apology for the regular newsletter being a few of days late this time around (an internet outage that lasted nearly 5 days unfortunately), can I start with sending all the subscribers to the newsletter the very best of wishes for the New Year. Here's hoping it is a happy, healthy and (musically) productive 12 months for all of you.

I don't know about you, but I always find this time of year a little unsettling. On the one hand, there is the very common, post-holiday, anti-climax feeling and the prospect of getting back into the routine of work is, for many, not always an appealing one. On the other hand, it is also a time to look forward and think about what might be achieved in the coming year. And like lots of folks I'm sure, I can easily find myself switching between the two very different moods these thoughts can generate.

As creative types, however, musicians (including those using iOS technology), unless they are very lucky, are faced with these kind of negative/positive thought processes all the time. It is easy to switch from the 'ooh, that's a great idea for a track....' state of mind to the 'everything I write sounds like c**p' state of mind and, if you are not careful, get stuck in the latter.

And one of the temptations when these more negative thoughts appear is to resort to techie-based excuses and distractions. 'If only I had an app that could do this....' or 'Perhaps it will sound great if I spend a few hours tweaking the compression and EQ settings...'. Yes, in a DIY, one-person-band music-making project, there are times when the creative mind-set has to take a backseat to the technical mind-set, but it can't be that way all the time. Music is a creative art form and you need to let that creative aspect have its head (and the technician in you to step aside) long enough for some initial ideas to flow uninterrupted. Yep, some of them might still be 'c**p', but until you get them out there in the first place, you won't be able to discover the occasional gem.

Anyway, if you recognise any of these issues in your own music making (iOS or otherwise), then you might want to read (or maybe re-read?) a couple of articles that appeared on the blog during the last 12 months. Both of these deal with aspects of the mental approach to music creation and, if you are looking forward to a musically productive year, there might be a few ideas there to help you keep that positive frame of mind intact.

http://www.musicappblog.com/master-muse/

http://www.musicappblog.com/getting-music-done/

Backwards and forwards

Looking back and looking forward is also something that we all find ourselves doing at this time of the year. In terms of iOS music making, I've done both on blog recently, with a personal selection of my top ten iOS music apps of 2014:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/top-10-ios-music-apps-of-2014/

... and a few thoughts about what might be interesting to see happen during 2015:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/ios-music-in-2015/

Thanks to everyone who has already been in touch to responded to these two posts but, if you have thoughts on either issue, or ideas/suggestions of your own you would like to add to my own take, then drop me a line or leave a comment. You're input is welcome and its great (and always interesting) to get alternative takes from those that make music in different ways (and for different reasons) to myself.

'appy' Christmas?

Finally a very bit 'thank you' to all of you who took part in the Christmas giveaway, whether as entrants (that's everyone on the email newsletter list) or developers (for donating the prizes). The response from developers was overwhelming and, having expected to get perhaps half a dozen offers, instead I ended up with copies of over 50 apps to give away.

Anyway, compiling the list of winners therefore took the best part of two days (!) and, while not everyone could win something, it has been great to get some emails back from lots of happy folk who were lucky enough to have their names pulled out of the hat.

If you didn't win in this time around, don't give up hope though...  there are already new giveaways running on the site this week. When you don't need them to strum your guitar, play your keyboard or tap your touchscreen, keep your fingers crossed and good luck :-)

Until next time (which will not be long given how late this one was!)... and, as therapy for all that usual holiday excess, enjoy making some music... :-)

Best wishes,

John

http://www.musicappblog.com/

John Walden
The Music App Blog
West Cottage, Newton of Wormiston, By Crail, FIFE KY10 3XH, UK

Elantric

It's been in an interesting week in the world of iOS music technology this week with – for me at least – some good, some bad and some downright ugly.

The ugly stuff...

On the ugly side (and, I admit, this is also just a tad on the sad side), I was without internet access for about 5 days.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are times when I really like to unplug myself from the online world and forget about email, Twitter, Facebook and web browsing and doing something a little more... well.. tangible... you know, like spending time with my family or making music. However, when the disconnect was not through my own choosing and I actually wanted to get on with some work (er.... email, Twitter, Facebook, web browsing and blog posting), it was, frankly, a pain in the a**.

All of which just goes to show either how dependent we (I?) have become on the amazing technology that makes the internet happen or how sad we are (I am?) that this technology has become such an important part of how I organise my life.... Anyway, the technical gremlins have now been dealt with and my intravenous online drip is now restored. I'll let you know if that is a good thing or not once I've fully recovered from my bout of offlineness :-)

... all of which is a lead in to an apology for the lack of activity on the blog during the first half of this week....

The good stuff....

I know it was released just before Christmas, but this week I finally got around to taking a serious look at Flux:FX from developer Noiise. This is a creative multi-effects app and, therefore, aimed at the same sorts of applications as apps like Turnado, Effectrix, birdStepper, Deregulator or csSpectral. All of these apps have something unique to offer and, whether you are after sound design or simply have an experimental streak in your electronic music making, you would enjoy exploring any of them.

Of these apps, perhaps the one I turn to most has been Turnado. The interface is perhaps a bit on the busy side even on a full-size iPad, but the depth of control and the range od options is just amazing. However, Flux: FX is, I think, going to become a very creditable challenger for my own personal creative multi-effects app top spot. The design is very slick, the real-time control well implemented, there is a clever automation/sequencing element and (thankfully) the quality of the individual effects matches the brilliance of the rest of the design.

You can read the full review here...

http://www.musicappblog.com/fluxfx-review/

... but if you are in to electronic music styles or sound design, this is a top-notch app and well worth the current UK£14.99 asking price.

Oh, and while we are at it, check out the reviews of Elastic Drums and Limiter that were also posted this week. Both apps are worth a look....

The bad stuff

Unfortunately, ugly stuff aside, there was also some 'bad' stuff this week...  bad – and certainly very sad to see – was the demise of music software developer Camel Audio. iOS musicians will be familiar with the brand because of Alchemy Mobile app, a long-standing favourite for many iOS musicians, but the company has an even longer-standing track record in music technology products on the desktop market.

It's not yet clear what triggered the decision to close the company, or whether their iOS product line had any impact on the situation, but the consequence will, at some point, be that any Camel Audio software you might currently be using will eventually get left behind as operating system move on. Unless some deal is done by another developer to take over the products, whatever investment you might have in them will, eventually, be lost.

In the world of music technology software (and software in general), this is not a new phenomenon. I was on the wrong end of something similar when Apple bought out Emagic back in the day. As a then Logic user on a PC – and at that point with no desire to move over to a Mac – I was left with a DAW/sequencer which I had invested plenty of time and money into but which now had a limited life span. I moved DAWs (to Cubase) rather than platforms (to Mac) at that stage for a variety of reasons... but it required new investment to do so. The same will, I suspect, apply here for any users for whom Camel Audio products are a key part of their production process.

The bottom line here is that the business of music technology is in a constant state of flux; change is the only constant and, for better or worse, we have to try to be creative despite any uncertainty over the tools we choose to exercise that creativity with.

And the stuff that might be good or bad?

Today also saw the launch of Christopher Rice's Holderness FX Bundle for iPhone. $8.99
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app-bundle/holderness-fx-bundle-audio/id918292581?mt=8
Now, personally, I see this as a very good thing. The bundle consists of iPhone-specific versions of four of my favourite iOS audio effects apps – Caramel, Crystalline, Swoopster and Stereo Designer – all as low-cost 'mini' versions ('mini' as in the interfaces are re-designed for the iPhone screen; the features and sound are identical to the iPad versions).

However, Chris is also bracing himself for some users to see this release as 'bad' – not because they don't like the apps (they are brilliant) – but because he has chosen to release separate iPhone versions rather than make the current iPad versions universal; existing users on the iPad will therefore have to buy the new versions if they want to use the apps on the iPhone.

Of course, given that Chris is selling these apps at such a low price and that the bundle pricing makes them even cheaper AND that existing owners of some of the Holderness iPad versions can qualify for even further reductions, the cost for getting all four of the 'mini' versions might be as little as US$1 per app. I suspect, however, that Chris is still expecting to kop some flack for not releasing universal versions.

I can't claim to know Chris very well other than we have had a good number of email exchanges over the last 18 months or so when I've reviewed his various apps. He has, however, always struck me as one of the good guys; dedicated to the iOS platform, delivering great software, good support and keeping prices amazingly low considering just how good the software is.

He works hard at what he does... and he deserves a decent return for that work. You can also bet your bottom dollar (the one left over from the $5 bill required to buy the four 'mini' apps via a bundle) that he thought long and hard about which way to go here....  but you can also bet that complaints will come from some users for the route he has eventually chosen. Each to their own, of course, but I won't, however, be one of those complaining....

There is, of course, an obvious link here between this story and that of Camel Audio; that music software developers have to navigate a sometimes difficult path to profitability. I've discussed this before on the blog...

http://www.musicappblog.com/ios-music-app-pricing/

... but I'm sure it's a topic that we will need to return to on a regular basis as iOS music technology struggles its way out of infancy and becomes a difficult teenager.

Until next time, enjoy the apps you have...  and get some music made... :-)

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

With one notable exception, it's been a pretty quiet week this week in iOS music making. That's not altogether surprising as, in the wider world of music technology as a whole, the couple of week post the Christmas/New Year break tend to be a quiet time as manufacturers and developers prepare themselves (and their new products) for the winter NAMM show. And, by this time next week, representatives from almost every branch of the music technology industry will have made their way to Anaheim, California and the show will have kicked off.

If you are as geeky about music technology as I am (and you have my sympathy if you are), then NAMM is always worth watching. The show does, of course, cover every aspect of music making, from guitars to studio gizmos, from software to hardware and from the mundane to the miraculous; if it is part of the music making process, the odds are you will be able to see the latest and greatest incarnation of it at NAMM.

As in the last few years, there will undoubtedly be an iOS presence amongst all the product announcements and launches. It may still be something of a minority sport, but iOS music making does now have a well-established niche foothold in the wider music technology world. And, as in the last few years, your favourite iOS music making websites (Music App Blog included) will do their best to keep you posted on the iOS-related stuff that seems the most interesting. You can, of course, also visit the NAMM site yourself:-

https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2015

... and once the show gets underway, there will be links there to all sorts of press releases, etc. that you can wade through and enjoy.

In the glow of the Auria

The notable exception in the 'slow news week' was. of course, the announcement from WaveMachine Labs that Auria Pro is going to be demoed at NAMM and will be available to buy at some stage in the Spring. And the headline feature that will be introduced is MIDI sequencing; Auria Pro will, like Cubasis, become an 'audio+MIDI' recorder/sequencer.

WaveMachine Labs have been indicated that full MIDI support was in development for some time so the announcement wasn't perhaps a complete surprise. However, as I posted earlier this week...

http://www.musicappblog.com/auria-pro-announced/

... the detailed specification list for the new version contains some very interesting – and very sophisticated – sounding features. With tempo/time-signature tracks, groove quantize and real-time audio warping – plus a fairly significant updating of the user interface, Auria Pro looks very impressive. On paper at least, this will become something much closer to a desktop DAW/sequencer.

There are no further details on pricing or release dates as yet. However, WaveMachine Labs have already stated that existing Auria users will be able to get the new version as a discounted (upgrade) price, that all existing IAPs owned will work with the new version and that existing Auria projects will open within Pro. They will have working demos available at NAMM so it will be interesting to see if some video footage of the new app 'in use' becomes available. I'll keep you posted....

What else?

I've no insider knowledge as to what other announcements might be of interest to iOS musicians but it will be really interesting to see if the likes of Steinberg (for Cubasis) or Korg (for Gadget) have anything ready to go public with to sit alongside WaveMachine Labs Auria Pro announcement.

As both a regular Cubase and Cubasis user, given suitable development resources, I know there are all sorts of workflow elements that could, in principle, be ported in some form from the flagship desktop DAW and onto the iOS platform. Whether we will learn more about that at NAMM (or perhaps a couple of months later at the Frankfurt show?) ...? Well, we will just have to wait and see.

More technically challenging I suspect would be the introduction of audio recording into Korg's Gadget. Again, this is something that they have, in the past, indicated is within the development plans. It would be great to see and, given the 'scene' based arrangements that Gadget provides, it would make for a very interesting alternative to both Auria Pro and Cubasis. Announced at NAMM/ Again, we will have to wait and see....

Back to work...

For those in work, the other thing about this time of year is that dreaded 'back to work' feeling after an extended break :-( ... never welcome (although I guess it does depend upon your job). In my case, it means playing catch-up with a whole much of new app releases that came in prior to, and over, the festive period... I've posted a few of these reviews this week:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/category/music-app-reviews-2/

... but I've still got a number of apps sitting in my 'to do' queue. That said, I better go and get on with them before any new stuff arrives with NAMM next Thursday!

Best wishes,

John

Elantric

As I mentioned last week, the annual NAMM show is now underway, having started in sunny California yesterday. It runs until Sunday so there are bound to be lots of additional new products to be announced over the weekend. Even so, day 1 saw some very tempting possibilities across the whole spectrum of music technology... and, amongst the masses, some things that will undoubtedly appeal to the iOS based musician.

I've just posted a 'round-up' article for day 1 that covers some of the things that I thought were particular highlights:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/news-from-namm/

Of these, the Line 6 Firehawk floorboard guitar amp/effects modeller – with its iOS-based editor app – is the one that most appeals to me (I'm a Line 6 fan anyway) but there is some neat looking hardware items that are scheduled for release over the next few months from the likes of Arturia, IK Multimedia and Novation amongst others.

However, while many of these items are 'coming soon...', if you want a fix right now, then two new apps launched this week (and with their official launches done at NAMM) might well deliver. First, Casio have released their CZ App for iPad:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/cz-app-launch/

As a former CZ101 owner, I'm looking forward to revisiting those PD sounds in an app format. Looks very cool and I suspect the editing will be easier on the iPad than it ever was on the original hardware.

The other is UVI's BeatHawk:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/beathawk-launch/

Having had a quick play with this it does sounds very good indeed and the interface is very slick. Yes, there is an element of Akai MPC homage being paid here but UVI have a great track record in virtual instruments/sound modules in their own right and BeatHawk looks and feels impressive right from the off. Full reviews of both apps to follow soon via the site....

Oh, and if you are in the market for a NAMM inspired bargain, then both Korg and Noiise have sale pricing going on for the duration of the NAMM show. So, whether it's Korg Module, Gadget or Flux: FX – all of which are brilliant – then check out the lower pricing available until Sunday.

http://www.musicappblog.com/korg-sale-4/

http://www.musicappblog.com/fluxfx-sale/

Finally, this week also saw a significant update to a personal favourite; DM1 from Fingerlab. This has been a 'go to' choice as a drum machine app for me for a long time but, after iOS8 appeared, like lots of users, I did experience some weird audio behaviour with the app. Thankfully, the update this week appears to have addressed this:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/dm1-update-3/

Pascal at Fingerlab tells me there is still some work going on in terms of the IAA support but it's great to have the app in a useable form. Oh, and Fingerlab also have a new effects app about to be released – DFX – so look out for a review of that also when it finally hits the App Store. 

There will be more from NAMM over the weekend but, until next time, enjoy the apps you have...  and get some music made... :-)

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

With the dust settling on the 2015 winter NAMM show, iOS music technology has – in app terms at least – got off to a promising start. I've still got BeatHawk and Casio CZ to fully explore but this week saw a further app launch; Fingerlab's DFX Digital-Multi-FX:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/dfx-digital-multi-fx-launch/

This also looks promising and, with a launch price of UK£1.49, would seem to be well worth a speculative punt. Follow the link above to check out the basic details but a full review will follow shortly on the website.
With all these new apps appearing, I'm still playing catch-up with a number of the more significant releases that appeared around the Christmas break. I have, however, dealt with one of these this week; FM4:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/fm4-review/

While my iPad already has more synth apps than I could ever learn how to fully exploit – and FM4, despite its well-designed and deceptively simple interface, has plenty of depth to exploit – as a mid-priced iOS synth – FM4 has a lot to recommend it. Sonically, it captures the essence of Yamaha's DX series synths but at a price point almost anyone could afford. Synth-heads will lap it up but it is an app worth looking at even if synths are just a part of your musical tool kit.

Update of the week?

For me, this week, that prize goes to Rock Drum Machine. Don't let the title fool you; while this is an app aimed at those making 'rawk', it can be put to good use for a range of musical styles that require an acoustic drum sound.

http://www.musicappblog.com/rock-drum-machine-update-2/

The app has new sounds and new patterns but the highlight of the update is well conceived 'song mode' that allows you to chain patterns together into a song structure. The app might not have the subtly of something like DrumPerfect but, as a means of very quickly building a full drum track, it is just the ticket.

Is it fixed yet?

Reading comments from a couple of regular visitors to the website, and following a couple of forum/Facebook threads where folks were obviously struggling with technical issues in their iOS music system, got me thinking this week (not always a good thing, but there you go). My personal transition to iOS8 has been, in the main, trouble free, but I know that's not the case for everyone. Anyway, in my own (often rambling) fashion, I've put a few thoughts together on the topic...  Pour a stiff drink and have a read....  I'll be interested in hearing your comments and personal reflection on where you think iOS music technology currently lies...  and what the immediate future might bring...

http://www.musicappblog.com/ios-music-technology/

Oh, and on a slightly different tack, Clif Johnston's recent article on the Apptronica site is also well worth a look.

http://apptronica.tumblr.com/post/109503318374/the-numbers-game

This deals with the song writing process and, if your own personal productivity needs a bit of a kick up the behind, then Clif's piece might be just what you need. Read and obey... :-)

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

I was lucky enough to get around to reviewing two particularly stellar apps this week; BeakHawk and R0Verb. Klevgränd Produktion (pehaps like Sugar Bytes?) seem to make apps that consistently come at a specific function from a somewhat different angle, and R0Verb – which is sort of a hybrid reverb/delay audio effect – does exactly that.

I'm not sure I've seen anything quite like this before, whether on the desktop or for iOS and, while it sounds very good indeed, what's really interesting is the level of control that it offers you when creating a delay treatment and the graphical means by which you adjust those controls. You can read the full review here....

http://www.musicappblog.com/r0verb-review/

....  but at just UK£2.99 this is well worth experimenting with even if you already own some of the more conventional reverb/delay effects available under iOS.

Ready to fly

BeatHawk is a different sort of beast. While the virtual drum pad format is a tried and tested one and does, of course, suggest drum and beat programming to most potential users, these days, most of these kinds of sample-playback devices – hardware or software – can do much more than that. This is certainly true of BeatHawk. While it can do a brilliant turn as a sample-based drum machine, as you can actually load any sort of sample material onto its pads, and it includes a 'pitch' mode so you can then play those samples as a melodic instrument, this is really an app that can be used as a complete electronic music production environment.

Read the full review to get the complete picture...

http://www.musicappblog.com/beathawk-review/

... but where the app really scores is in the very slick, streamlined, modern design. The selection of features suggests some very careful thought has gone into the app and, while it is possible to think of a few additional things it would be nice to see (loop slicing for example), I think UVI have done a brilliant job given that this is v.1.

Help! What apps should I buy?

The BeatHawk review also prompted a question from one reader that is, essentially, one that appears in my email inbox on a regular basis in one format or another... 'I'm interested in XYZ, so what app should I buy?' This week, in response to reading the BeatHawk review, the question was from someone wanting to get into electronic music production and feeling a bit bewildered by the range of options that the App Store now offers on this front.... NanoStudio, Caustic, Gadget, Oscilab, ReBirth, Cotracks, TriqTraq, iMPC Pro and, of course, a number of others that now also includes BeatHawk...

This kind of question is, of course, actually very difficult to answer, whether it is focused on EDM apps such as those listed above, DAW apps, synth app, guitar amp sims or some other category of iOS music app. Taking just the sort of 'all-in-one' EDM apps listed above as an example...  they are all brilliant in their own way and, while some of them are perhaps direct competitors (Caustic vs Gadget or iMPC Pro vs BeatHawk, for example), they also have their differences.

I do try to help with these sorts of questions when I can but it is those differences that are what gives each of the apps their specific appeal and, as a consequence, would make them 'right' for a specific iOS musician, whether that's because they are particularly suited to a style of production or whether it's because they are more 'introductory' as opposed to 'advanced'.

When reviewing any app, I try, where I can, to give some indication as to whom it might suit best... and this is very different from saying 'I don't like this app because of X, Y or Z....'. Again, taking these EDM apps as examples, they all having something useful to offer in their own way and none of them are what I would personally describe as 'bad'. Individually, they might not suit you (or me) in terms of the music you make but, to someone else, they will be just what's required....

Of course, there is one obvious advantage we iOS musicians have when it comes to making decisions about which software to buy; the App Store pricing model. While no one wants to buy an app only to use it once and then leave it gathering dust, that's something that is less of an issue when the software costs a few £/$/€ rather than a ten (or more) times that price as it does on the desktop. App Store pricing – whether sustainable in the long term for developers or not, does at least allow us users to experiment with a wide range of options without getting too badly burned financially. And, for that, I, for one, am quite grateful....

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

There were all sorts of interesting new things going on with iOS music apps this week. For example, I noted a number of very useful updates to some of my own favourite apps, including iFretless Bass, Photophore Synth, Jam Maestro, Amp ONE, DM1 and Navichord. Check out the 'News' section of the website for more details:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/category/news/

However, I also reviewed three new(er) apps this week that, in one way or another, were very impressive; DFX Digital Multi-FX from Fingerlab, Zed Synth from Jazzman Ltd and AUFX:Push from Kymatica. Again, hit the 'reviews' section of the website to check out the full details:-

However, one of these – AUFX:Push – for me at least, really struck a chord (doh!). On the surface, there is nothing too exciting about a dynamics processor. Every DAW has them and there are a number of other iOS audio effects apps that include compression or limiting within their overall spec.

However, on a number of fronts, I don't think we have seen anything quite like AUFX:Push under iOS before. First, it does a nice job of combining a noise gate, compressor/expander and a limiter... so far, so good. However, it does those things in a very well featured fashion and with a simple, straightforward interface – including plenty of graphical feedback for the user – that makes the whole thing much less of a mystery if you are new to the whole 'dynamics processing' experience. Technically, this is about as much dynamics control as I think we have seen in an app dedicated to the task.

But, of course, the real technical icing on the cake is that somehow, Jonatan Liljedahl – the man behind the Kymatica brand – has managed to implement a side-chain input system into the app. And, used via Audiobus or IAA, this works beautifully. Not everyone will have need of side-chain options but, given the challenges that moving audio around in real-time under iOS can bring, this is very clever stuff...

Now, there are lots of music tech types that will get very geeky about the sound of their compressors – and discuss at length how one device (hardware or software) sounds different to another – and you can have that discussion about the software compressors currently available under iOS. I've not done any sort of A/B/C comparison testing of AUFX:Push alongside the other dynamics options I currently have available, but to my ears (admittedly not as good as they used to be due to standing too close to too many crash cymbals), it sounds very good indeed; corrective or creative dynamics processing, AUFX:Push can do it all.

And you know what the real kicker is? You get all this technical smarts and ease of operation for just UK£3.99. It is perfectly possible to find fault with the world of iOS music making – it is not a perfect platform in many ways – but it does also have some very big positives. A small app that serves a niche function but that delivers quite so much, and yet costs so little, is most definitely an illustration of that.
Checkout the full AUFX:Push review here....

http://www.musicappblog.com/aufxpush-review/

...  a great little app from one of the best developers out there....

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

EDIT

AFX Audio Effects Bundle is here
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app-bundle/aufx-audio-effects/id917595316?mt=8

Elantric

There have been a few iOS music things that have caught my interest this week. Top of the list, however, was SoundScaper – Igor Vasiliev's new app – that I reviewed on the blog this week:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/soundscaper-review/

While I'm fond of the occasional soundscape or drone for use in the production music work I do, ambient music and sound design is not where I spend a lot of my musical time. However, SoundScape is a fascinating app. Used with suitable audio source materials (the app creates sound using up to three audio files as its source) it can be considered a 'music' app but it is perhaps as easy to think it is as a 'sound design' app.

I can't pretend to understand all (many?!) of the processing options provided by the app but, whether you actually understand what each of the controls are doing or not, there is a lot of fun to be had simply experimenting and seeing (hearing) what happens. I still wouldn't say SoundScaper was a 'must have' app for every iOS musician... but given the pocket money price, it's not going to break too many banks to give it a pop and find out if it is something you might use, even if only occasionally.

Port report

After I posted the review, I happened to show SoundScaper to a friend of mine who does the occasional bit of sound design work on TV and film projects; 'kid in a candy shop' is probably the best way of describing his reaction. While he knows of my iOS habit, he doesn't own an iPad and, when I told him (a) the price of SoundScaper and that (b) it isn't available as a desktop plugin, his beaming smile cracked somewhat. This is an app that he could really imagine using in a professional work context alongside the other (sometimes quite expensive) software tools he currently depends upon.

This kind of emphasised for me the comments that I made in the SoundScaper review; this is an iOS app that some desktop audio/music users would love to have available to them. We have seen lots of music software ported from desktop to iOS (Thor, Z3TA+, Tera Synth, etc.) but that got me thinking again about a number of iOS music apps that I'd like to see go in the opposite direction. We have seen a few – Positive Grid's BIAS, for example – but I can think of a number of other personal favourites including Sector, Stereo Designer, Flux: FX and DFX, that I'd love to see as VST or AU plugins.

This leads me to two further things. First, for all the technical limitations of iOS when compared to a powerful desktop platform, it hasn't stopped some of our more imaginative developers from offering us iOS music software that is, in its own music technology niche, as good (if not better) than some of the software available on the desktop. This is kind of cool (in a 'mine's better than your's' sort of a way) but also a testament to the quality of the brains behind some of the apps we use.

Second, it got me thinking more carefully about which apps I'd like to see making that 'reverse port'. I can think of a few others besides the ones I've listed above...   but it would be fun to find out what you think. And, if I get enough suggestions, I'll perhaps put a list together in a post to share with the site's readership....   So, if you have a favourite iOS music app that you think would be good to see available in a desktop format, drop me a line and let me know....

And finally....

With Auria Pro obviously on its way, it was interesting to see Steinberg get in a bit of a pre-emptive strike this week with the v.1.9 update to Cubasis appearing on the App Store. The update brings the first IAPs to Cubasis – two packs of additional audio effects – so it marks a bit of a change in the way Steinberg hope to see a return on their development investment. Personally, I've no problem with that (your mileage may differ) as I think margins for iOS music app development must inevitably be tight given the App Store pricing model.

Anyway, as a Cubase user, and hence a Cubasis user, the two new effects packs are very welcome – optional – additions. You can read my run through of what's included in each pack here:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/cubasis-update-4/

If you are a regular Cubasis user, both are well worth the UK£4.99 asking price....  I'd still like to see Folder Tracks, a Tempo Track and Group Channels added though...  Maybe that's something for a further IAP or even v.2.0? Fingers crossed....

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

I posted a news item a week or so ago about the most recent update to Auxy – the rather neat pattern-based MIDI sequencer app with a beautifully minimalist interface – and that can be used to drive other, MIDI-compatible, iOS music apps:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/auxy-updated-2/

In response to the post, a couple of readers contacted me with questions that essentially boiled down to 'what's the best MIDI sequencer available on iOS?'. There are, of course, a number of options but, unlike on the desktop, where pretty much every major DAW/sequencer includes a pretty fully-featured MIDI sequencer and, in the main, follows a pretty standard, tried and tested format, under iOS, things are perhaps less standardised and less fully featured.

Of course, we have MIDI sequencing built into the likes of Cubasis, Beatmaker2, NanoStudio, Meteor, Garageband, MusicStudio, Gadget, Caustic, etc...  There are also stand-alone MIDI apps such as Auxy but also things like Thesys, Arpeggionome Pro, midiSequencer, B-Step Sequencer 2 Pro, etc...  (and, by the way, most of these apps have been reviewed on the Music App Blog at some stage; just do a search on the site to find them).

Anyway, one reader suggested that a 'MIDI sequencer round-up' article might be a good idea... and I agree. However, while I've used a good number of the apps listed above (some more than others), there will also be a few others that I have not. Which is, of course, where you come in. If you use MIDI under iOS, then drop me a quick line and let me know which app (or apps) you use for MIDI sequencing/patterns etc. and, if you have time, a line or two about why you like it. This might point me in some new directions and, when I can get my act together (!), I'll put the round-up piece together.  Your input is welcome so please get in touch.....

Technology vs tunes

The other thing that got me thinking this week was a question from a reader asking about the best way to get audio from their iPad into their desktop computer. It was a fairly simple question and there are, of course, a number of different answers depending upon the other hardware/technology you have available to you.

However, underlying the question was the issue of how to best integrate your iOS music tech with your OSX/Windows music tech. That's also a topic worth a post (or three) on the blog at some stage but the question got me mulling over the issue of time spent mastering technology in the pursuit of making music. And, in particular, how easy it can be to become preoccupied by the technical issues (which are interesting in their own right) when your creative side really ought to be in the driving seat and the music should be taking centre stage.

Anyway, I've posted a few thoughts on the subject here:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/ios-tools-vs-music/

Again, I'd be really interested in hearing your own take on these issues...  and, in particular, from those of you who do combine both iOS and desktop technology in your music production processes...  or are you an 'iOS-only' musician and, if so, why?  Drop me line... :-)

And finally...

... a quick 'thank you' to the various developers who have provided free copies of their iOS music apps for me to give away on the blog over the last week or so. There have been some great apps up for grabs. As a subscriber to the email newsletter you are automatically entered into the draws for these giveaways... and if didn't win in the last few examples then better luck next time...  yes, there are more on the way.... :-)

Until next week, enjoy the apps you have...  and get some music made...

Best wishes,

John
John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

I posted a discussion piece a few weeks ago in which I looked at the various ways iOS can be used by the musician and, in particular, at the issue of picking the right tools for your own workflow, be that exclusively iOS, iOS combined with a desktop system or, of course, some combination of gear that doesn't include iOS music technology at all. The bottom line here is that it isn't, ultimately, the tools that matter; it's the music that you create because that's what the listener will (hopefully) want to put on repeat play. Your average music punter will not be terribly interested (or impressed by) the OS you use.

At a personal level, I'm very much in the 'integrated' approach camp. I love what iOS can do and I appreciate the flexibility and portability it provides (oh, and some fabulous tools that, actually, you can't find anywhere else). However, I'm also lucky enough to own (er...  I worked away at building up) a very respectable desktop-based music creation setup.

In an ideal world, I'd like the two environments to be seamless. And while we have been able to use them together in various ways for quite some time, the technology required to get us further from clueless and closer to seamless seemed to take a bit of a leap forwards over the last week or so.... and all because Apple seem to have changed their attitude to the use of the USB connection between your desktop computer and your iOS hardware.

I reviewed Duet Display a few weeks ago – an app that allows you to use an iPad as a secondary monitor when connected to your OSX computer (including being able to display desktop music software on the iPad 'monitor' and, to a limited extent, make use of the touchscreen to interact with that desktop software – all via the humble USB-to-Lightning (or 30-pin) cable supplied with your iOS device.

I'm not sure I understand why developers are now finding it easier to get apps that exploit this connectivity through the Apple approval process (although a couple of developers have told me that this is something of a change in policy rather than any technical change) but, this last week or so, we have seen three new products also using this approach. Air Display 3 has arrived and does a similar trick to Duet, although perhaps also offers a couple of extra things over and above Duet. Both are currently iOS/OSX only but Windows support is in development.

http://www.musicappblog.com/air-display-3-review/

However, perhaps even more interesting for musicians are Music IO and Midimux. Both of these apps allow you to send bi-directional MIDI data between iOS and OSX via the USB connection. This produces a very solid, very low latency, connection and the ability to send multiple MIDI data streams in both directions.

http://www.musicappblog.com/midimux-launched/

http://www.musicappblog.com/music-io-launched/

I can see all sorts of uses for this technology but, for me, the most obvious use will be to (a) send MIDI data out of Cubase on my desktop to drive various of my iOS synths and (b) to send MIDI data to Cubase on my desktop from any of the iOS MIDI performance apps I regularly use for creating MIDI parts. The latter will be a real benefit and so much less hassle via a simple USB connection. And having tried it with both apps – and enjoyed the experience very much – even with just MIDI data, I think this is a big step forward for integration of iOS and desktop music production.

It would, of course, be even better if I could transmit audio over the same connection. And, that's exactly what the developers of both apps seem to have up their sleeves; audio is promised soon as upcoming updates. Obviously, I'll cover this in more detail on the blog when it arrives...  but the ability to send MIDI data out from my Mac-based DAW/sequencer to my various iOS synths and then get the audio data back from them and into my desktop DAW – all via a simple USB connection – is going to make integration of iOS and OSX music technology a whole lot easier....  I can't wait :-)

MIDI matters – and a 'thank you'

Last week I asked readers of the newsletter to suggest their favourite iOS MIDI sequencing options to me. This was with a view to putting together a 'MIDI sequencer roundup' article at some stage to go with the other roundup pieces I've already done on the blog. This is clearly a topic that seemed to resonate with many of the email list subscribers and I got some very helpful responses...  so a 'thank you' for that; it's much appreciated.

However, what I also got was a whole bunch of responses asking for something a bit more ambitious.... essentially what amounts to a 'What is this thing called MIDI?' series, looking at the basics of MIDI as a technology, what it can be used for, how it works (and often doesn't) under iOS as well as a discussion of MIDI in some of the more popular iOS music apps.

It's clear to me from these responses that a lot of folks find MIDI just a bit on the baffling side. Anyway, it has certainly given me food for thought.... and I'll mull over the various ways in which I might (er...  or might not if I think it might be more than I can handle!) dig into this material via the blog. Watch this space and, if MIDI is a bit of a mystery to you, then drop me a line while I gather my thoughts....  It might just help me decide how to approach the topic is some possible future articles on the site.

Until next time, enjoy the apps you have...  and get some music made...

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

A couple of weeks ago, via the newsletter, I asked a question about MIDI sequencers under iOS and, while I got some very useful responses, I also got lots of suggestions and questions about MIDI in general including many readers that simply find the whole MIDI thing a bit of a mystery.

In one sense, these caught me a bit by surprise but, given how often I've expressed the opinion that iOS is a great place for those new to music technology to get started, perhaps I shouldn't have been....  While I've grown up with MIDI and experienced the technology in it hardware-only format, for those that are plunged straight into the world of 'virtual' MIDI – in a totally software-based system – it is a somewhat less tangible technology, often hidden away in the background with the user only vaguely aware of what might be happening.

This is, perhaps, a good thing as it suggests that software designers are doing their best to make MIDI connectivity something that the user doesn't really have to worry about. In the mature world of desktop music software, that is perhaps an aim that is close to being realised. However, as many iOS musicians are probably all aware, under iOS, MIDI is still somewhat rough around the edges.

Anyway, the consequence is all those responses I got from newsletter subscribers that essentially amounted to a request for more information about MIDI, what it is, how it plays a role in music technology and, more specifically, how to use it under iOS with some typical iOS music apps. And, while I lay no great claims to be some kind of MIDI guru (heck, I'm really just a guitar player), in an iOS context, this does seem like a lit of an information gap waiting to be filled.

So, this week, I've posted a sort of 'MIDI 101' piece on the site that is a gentle (and very much just scratching the surface) introduction to MIDI, its history and its role in modern music making. You can read it here:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/midi-101/

For experienced music technology types I'm sure this will all be old news but, hopefully, for those new to the whole music technology habit, hopefully it will provide a little bit on context. And, while I'm not going to tie myself to a timeframe or agenda, I do hope this will just be a first part of an on-going series of posts looking at MIDI within music technology and, in particular, how it applies under iOS.

Those earlier replies have been filed away to help me assemble a list of possible topics to cover...  but, if you didn't respond before, and yet have some MIDI-based questions of your own, then feel free to drop me a line. Will I know all the answers? No, probably not...  but I'm hoping one of the side-benefits for me will that it will force me to do a little digging for myself and learn a few new things. So, feel free to drop me a line and encourage me to do some research :-)

Quiet week, big video

While there have been a few nice updates during the last week (check out the News section on the site for those that particularly caught my attention), in the main it has been a pretty quiet few days on the App Store. Still, one news item will have got a lot of iOS musicians quite excited...  the trailer video released by WaveMachine Labs giving further details of Auria Pro.

http://www.musicappblog.com/auria-pro-trailer/

As far as I'm aware, there are still no further details on the target release date...  but this does look like a seriously cool update/upgrade to what is already the most powerful audio-based multitrack recording environment available for iOS. The list of features is very impressive and the new MIDI sequencing support looks to be well-specified.

Of course, powerful software tends to require powerful hardware, so it will be very interesting to see just how well Auria Pro works on older (iPad 4th gen and earlier?) hardware once it is released. Still, I can't wait to have the opportunity to find out though....

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog                                                                                           

Elantric

It's been a relatively quiet week or two in terms of iOS music app releases and, having seen a flurry of interesting releases at and around the New Year/NAMM period, developers seem to be keeping their powder dry at present. Well... apart from one exception; Audiomux.

We knew Audiomux was on the way on the back of developer AppBC's Midimux that I looked at alongside Music IO on the blog a couple of weeks ago:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/midimux-launched/

http://www.musicappblog.com/music-io-launched/

Both of these apps provide what is, to date, the most simple means by which MIDI data can be passed between an iOS device and a desktop computer (providing, of course, that the desktop computer is running OSX), all made possible through the simple USB-to-Lightning/30-pin cable provided with your iOS hardware. No additional hardware is required, no MIDI interfaces and no (occasionally unpredictable) Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity. Windows support is, apparently, something both of the development teams behind these apps are exploring.

We have, of course, been able to send MIDI data to/from the desktop to iOS for some time and there are all sorts of different options that are possible. However, as I commented in the newsletter at the time, what is unique here is just how easy Midimux and Music IO make this task; app purchase aside, there is no cost and no fuss.

However, as both developers have indicated, the intention was that MIDI support would be complemented with audio support and AppBC have been first off the mark here with Audiomux. I put up a full review of Audiomux on the website earlier this week:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/audiomux-review/

I have to say that, despite already having a wish list of additional things it would be great to be able to see Audiomux perform (multichannel audio connections and send-return audio processing), this first release of Audiomux is very impressive. As with MIDI data, we can find other ways of getting audio between our desktop and mobile devices, but to achieve it in what seems such a simple and very integrated fashion – and again without the need for additional equipment – is a very attractive proposition.

It will be very interesting to see how Music IO approaches this when it is also released but, for me at least, these apps have made combining my iOS music tech with my OSX music tech significantly easier. Let's hope that something similar comes along for Windows users shortly because I'm sure there will be lots of interest.
Very quietly...  and with the minimum of fuss... iOS music making and desktop music making have just become much more compatible bedfellows. If you are up for a touch of music tech integration, then Midimux, Audiomux and Music IO are a bit of a revolution in an app-shaped form.

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

I've been running the Music App Blog website since the beginning of 2012 and, as anyone who runs an active blog themselves will tell you, there is always plenty to do to keep the content coming and things interesting for the readership. In the case of the Music App Blog, while I do try to cover some of the obvious 'app news', that content is often in the form of app reviews. I've lost count of the number of apps I've reviewed over the last three years and, while I like to think I've covered the majority of the higher profile releases in that time – and plenty of things that might seem like they have sneaked in under the radar - there are still plenty that have slipped through the net...

Occasionally, as time permits, I do try and do a bit of a 'catch up', reviewing an app that has been around the App Store for some time but, for some reason, I've never had a chance to take a close look at. I've got a few such apps tucked away on my own list that I hope, at some stage, to deal with in this way...  but I thought I might actually seek a bit of help from you via this week's newsletter and ask for some suggestions from the floor...  So, do you have a particular favourite iOS music app that you think I have not yet looked at via the blog? If so, drop me a quick line by reply and let me know what I've missed... and, if possible, I can add them to my list :-)

MIDI over USB – Windows included

Audiomux and Music IO have caused quite a stir over recent weeks (and, just as I'm typing, the update to Music IO that adds audio over USB to its capabilities has arrived on the App Store; that will keep me busy for a few hours later) but, if you are an iOS/Windows user, the obvious potential of these two technologies might currently leave you feeling a tad frustrated as both apps are OSX only.

However, on the MIDI front at least, there is a USB solution. I've posted a short review of MIDI LE on the blog today:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/midi-le-review/

On the MIDI side, this app does the same job as Midimux and Music IO in that it can pass MIDI data via a USB connection between an iOS device and a desktop computer. However, compared to Midimux and Music IO, MIDI LE has three notable differences. First, it's currently free. Second, it also offers Bluetooth LE connectivity if you like the wire-free approach.

Third – and this is the most interesting bit – it can work with both OSX and Windows systems. I haven't been able to test the iOS-Windows connectivity extensively, but it works great between iOS and OSX and regular Music App Blog reader Toz Bourne has, I know, also had no problems getting it to work with a Windows-based setup. Thanks Toz...  and if other readers have tried this and got it working, then feel free to add a comment at the end of the review so others can benefit from your experience.

Oh, and literally, also as I type this week's newsletter, I received an email from Pascal at AppBC (the developer behind Midimux and Audiomux) to say that a Windows server for Midimux is now available on their website... time to go and check it out I guess :-)

MIDI 101

Finally today...  thanks to everyone who sent me messages in response to the first couple of parts of the MIDI 101 series. The feedback has been both welcome and very helpful. I've other topics for this series lined up and I'll post them as time permits...  but ideas and suggestions are welcome at any time as they will help me shape the content to best suit your needs...  so, thanks again, and keep the feedback coming.

Best wishes,

John

Elantric

It seems to have been a pretty busy week on the App Store this week for iOS music apps with plenty of interesting updates to some of the more popular (well, popular with me!) apps. It's a pretty impressive list – Korg Module, Loopy HD, SongSheet, Lemur, Harmony Voice, Take/Figure (and Figure is currently free), VocalizeU and Xynthesizr – so check out the News section on the blog to find out the latest details on this.

However, two other updates were perhaps my personal highlights. First, it was great to see the new version of Oliver Greschke's Elastic Drums along with its 'universal' support. The app looks great on the iPad now and, although there were some gremlins for iOS7 users when the update first hit, I think Oliver has now resolved these with a further patch that became available yesterday. Elastic Drums is great fun to use and sounds awesome.

http://www.musicappblog.com/elastic-drums-updated/

Second, Borderlands Granular received an update to v.2.0, the app's first update since it was initially released back in 2012! I have to admit that this was not an app I was familiar with so, for me, this update was a bit like seeing the app for the first time as a new release. I'm not entirely sure I've got my head fully around what it can do as yet (!) but I've posted a review on the site earlier today as a sort of 'progress report' :-)

http://www.musicappblog.com/borderlands-granular-review/

This is very much a niche music/audio app but, if you are a fan of soundscapes, sound design or creative ambient textures, then I suspect you will have a lot of fun with Borderlands Granular.

The other thing that I think all iOS musicians can appreciate about the app – whether you would use the 'sounds' it creates or not – is that it makes brilliant use of the touchscreen interface and the motion control options provided by a mobile computer. This is software that would be difficult to create in such an elegant fashion on a desktop computer and it is an example of music/audio software for which iOS is simply the best platform; a desktop or laptop could not really accommodate it in the same fashion.

Easter bunny

Aside from some excellent updates, as we have yet another 'holiday' period upon us, a number of those rather nice iOS music app developers are running sales. Again, check out the News section for details but there are some bargains from the likes of Sugar Bytes and Igor Vasiliev for starters if you have a little spare change tucked away somewhere...

Until next time, enjoy the apps you have...  maybe treat yourself to a holiday bargain or two...  and get some music made...

Best wishes,

John

Elantric

In terms of stuff for the blog, the highlight of my iOS music tech week was the release of Johnny by Christopher Rice/Holderness Media. I reviewed Johnny - a kind of 'super tremolo' effect a couple of days ago so check that out if you have not already:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/johnny-review/

I'm a fan of what Chris does anyway - and happy to 'fess up to being so - and regularly use his various other iOS audio effects apps in my own iPad-based recording projects. Indeed, if I could patch in Stereo Designer into my desktop system (and I've a sneaky feeling that's going to become possible quite soon given the recent 'audio over USB' developments we have seen with the likes of Audiomux and Music IO), then I'd use it with my desktop system as well; it is, quite simply, one of the best stereo manipulation tools I've ever used.

Johnny is a very worthwhile addition to the Holderness Media portfolio and, as with the other apps in the series, they manage to combine some cool sonic options with a very useable interface that even a novice music tech newbie could get their head around with very little effort. And hat's off to Chris for managing to strike such a clever balance. All are perhaps niche audio processors. They are maybe not everyday tools (OK, except for Stereo Designer; I could use that everyday) - although that might depend a little on the kind of music you make - but they are a great source to creative effects without any complex learning curves.

Reality check

There is one other element to the Holderness Media apps that Chris also (somehow) manages to achieve but, in order to appreciate the reality check that Johnny gave me a dose of this week, I need to relate a little side story.

As I've mentioned here before, I run a perfectly respectable desktop music production system alongside my iOS one. In the main, that system gets used for library/production music work... and while that means I work mostly with instrumental compositions, I do occasionally have to produce stuff with vocals.

When it comes to mixing, I've always found getting vocal levels - and, incidentally, bass levels - to be a real challenge. You can go so far with compression or limiting but, with vocals in particular, if you want to approach the consistent level - but also natural sound - that is so commonly achieved in some of the very best commercial song recordings, then you often have to resort to some very detailed level automation. I've seen this done by some seasoned mix pros and the automation curves can often end up being drawn down to the syllable level. This is detailed stuff and can take a lot of time.

There is, of course, a short cut as a number of music software developers have plugin effects processors that can attempt to do this level management for you. Perhaps the best known of these is Waves Audio's Vocal Rider and Bass Rider plugins. And as Waves had an Easter sale going on recently, at the end of last week, I decided to take the plunge on both of these audio processors as there was a chunk off the full price.

Now, both of these are niche tools. They are designed to do a very specific task; control volume levels without using compression. There is actually some very clever processing going on in both plugins but, eventually, both generate detailed automation data on your vocal or bass track in order to give it a more consistent volume level. The task of then slotting that element into the overall mix becomes a much more straightforward one and you don't end up some of the negative side effects that can result from compression.

So, with both plugins on sale - and a further discount for buying two plugins as opposed to one, I stumped up my US$100+ for the Vocal Rider and Bass Rider combination... and very good they are too.

And the reason for sharing this little story with you? Well, it's an obvious one really - but always worth remembering - Vocal Rider and Bass Rider are very much niche audio processing tools. They are brilliant at what they do and, on sale, I was quite happy to snap up a bargain. However, Johnny - or Stereo Designer or Caramel or Echo Pad or Crystalline or Swooptster - is also a niche audio processing tool and, if it's the niche tool you want or need, you can snap it up at full price for just UK£3.99.

Now, I've no complaint about the price I paid for Vocal Rider - it will pay for itself in time saved very quickly - but the reality check here is that iOS musicians are blessed with a software pricing point that is, frankly, unbelievably inexpensive. It is also difficult to understand how many of our favourite developers  - Christopher Rice included - actually make a crust from their work.

So, while an iPad itself is a considerable investment, as I did this week, do try to keep in mind just how much brilliant music software you can put on that iPad for what is a relatively modest further outlay. As a music production platform, iOS has its limitations compared to a fully featured Windows or OSX desktop system, but, boy, does it provide a considerable bang-for-buck...

... and while some of that is down to Apple's rather odd App Store pricing model, a huge chunk of it is because of the hard work and creative skill of developers such as Christopher Rice....

Until next time, enjoy the apps you have...  maybe treat yourself to one or two 'full price' new iOS music app treats...  and get some music made...

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

Absolutely no prizes for identifying the most high-profile new iOS music app release of this week; Sugar Bytes port of their desktop virtual instrument Cyclop. I'm sure I've done no more than scratch the surface of what this app has to offer but you can read the full review here:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/cyclop-review/

I'm a confirmed Sugar Bytes fan. I love Turnado (nope, never quite mastered it even though I regularly use it both on my iPad and the desktop) and love what Egoist does and how much fun it is to use. I was, therefore, looking forward to giving Cyclop a bit of a spin...

... I wasn't disappointed. Cyclop is typical Sugar Bytes; deep, very creative, great fun to explore, a bit bonkers and featuring yet another eye-strain inducing user interface... oh, and as monophonic bass synths go, it sounds absolutely huge. Take a listen on some decent monitors and be prepared; something as compact as an iPad really should not be capable of making quite such a big sound.

Of course, not everyone will either (a) have a need for Cyclop or (b) 'get' the slightly left-of-centre approach that Sugar Bytes bring to their view of music technology. I like the personality their software has (and which, I think, derives from them being a relatively small company so that the ideas are therefore not diluted by a massive committee where the end result can often be some sort of stale compromise). Whether Cyclop or Egotist or Turnado are your 'thing' or not, music technology is a better – and more interesting - place to be because of these kinds of independent/small development teams.

Anyway, here's looking forward to whatever Sugar Bytes might have to offer next...  and, if you like your synth bass sounds big, bad and delivered in a way that is just slightly mad, then do check Cyclop out.

Steinberg sale

As regular readers here will know, I'm also a confirmed Steinberg user; Cubase and various of their VSTi on the desktop and Cubasis on my iPad. In Cubasis – and until we finally see Auria Pro – I think Steinberg have the best all round iOS DAW/sequencer that there is currently available. There are enough features included to get some pretty sophisticated recordings made and mixed...   but without there being so much stuff that you just get lost in a mass of features (which is a danger for any new user with many of the top-end desktop DAWs, including Cubase).

Yes, I can still think of a few things I'd like to see added – a tempo track and folder tracks, for example – but the whole balance of features, user interface design and price seem to be very well thought out to me.
Although, if you don't own Cubasis, if you are quick, the 'price' issue might be an even better one. Steinberg have all their iOS music apps on sale for the next couple of days (while the Musikmesse music technology show is on). This includes Cubasis at 40% off the usual price. You can read more about it here....

http://www.musicappblog.com/steinberg-sale/

...  but get on with it as the offer only lasts until the 19th of April....

Until next time, enjoy the apps you have...  maybe treat yourself to a Steinberg-shaped bargain or two...  and get some music made...

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

I don't know if you are also a subscriber to the iPad Musician Facebook Group

but there was an interesting thread started today by Tony Saunders – the developer behind MidiSequencer app – where we was wondering whether the iOS music app market has been slowing down recently. I'm not sure if it was prompted by changes Tony has seen in MidiSequencer (!) or in whatever discussions he might have had with other iOS music app developers, but the discussion on the Facebook group is an interesting one and there are some very thoughtful responses from folk.

These kinds of questions do get you thinking... and I'm sure many (all?) of the points made by group members have some truth in them, particularly the fact that some long-standing iOS musicians are perhaps a little more wary about their purchases given the somewhat troubled times the transition to iOS8 has bought.

However, if there has been a slow down in the market (and I've absolutely no actual data from any developers to say with any confidence one way or the other), I also wonder whether some element of it might simply be that the initial 'hole waiting to be filled' has, more or less, now been filled.

What I mean by this is that over the last few years, as the iPad appeared and its usage went through a massive initial growth stage, there was a similar initial surge as musicians recognized a new music making opportunity. And when something interesting (and rather cool) new likes this comes along, there is bound to be an initial surge of uptake. However, once that initial surge has been dealt with, then the market calms down a bit. As with other branches of music technology, new users continue arrive and generate some sales, but those involved in the initial uptake have what they need and therefore become more selective.

If there has been a bit of a slowdown in sales it might also be a reflection of the fact that the market itself is now becomes more mature...  or saturated... depending upon your point of view. While it is still possible to identify a few niche gaps in terms of 'there is an app for that' in the music app category, actually, we have a very creditable set of synths, DAWs, sequencers, audio effects, guitar amp sims, utility apps, etc....  and in almost every sub-category here there is some fabulous choices...  or 'competition' if you are a developer.

That's not to say that these apps are all perfect – far from it, there is lots that can be done in terms of functionality and workflow – but unless developers adopt the IAP (In-App-Purchase) upgrade route (or Apple start allowing developers to charge for upgrades), it's going to be 'interesting' for the development community to work out how they keep a revenue stream coming in without continued growth in the user base.

App addict's news

Of course, slow down/maturity of the market place doesn't mean that the new releases are going to stop appearing and, if you have an iOS music app habit, then I think the next couple of weeks may well have some interesting offerings to supply your fix.

Hopefully, Auria Pro will be with us before too long, but if you want a few new toys in the shorter term, then keep your eyes peeled for BIAS FX from Positive Grid (I've been lucky enough to try the pre-release version and it sounds excellent), Enkl from Klevgrand Productions, Waldorf's port of Attack and the rather interesting looking Tin Pan Rhythm from – ta da! – developer Tin Pan Rhythm. The latter is a sort of song prototyping tool and, again, having given a beta version a bit of a spin, it is definitely something just a little different for iOS...

... and, of course, I'm sure there will be others :-)

All that said, until next time, enjoy the apps you have... and get some music made... This is, after all, the main reason for having all this amazing technology in the first place :-)

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

As I mentioned in last week's newsletter, there are a few new – and highly anticipated - iOS music apps releases due and two of those, Enkl and BIAS FX arrived on the App Store in the last few days. I've reviewed both these apps on the blog this week so feel free to hop over there and check out the details:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/enkl-review/

http://www.musicappblog.com/bias-fx-review/

Both of these are, in their own way, excellent. Klevgränd Produktion's Enkl is a really neat mono synth. It's not as deep as something like Sugar Bytes Cyclop but then neither is it as expensive or as demanding in terms of a learning curve. However, for some great bass, lead and special FX types sounds, it does a great job.

Positive Grid's BIAS FX is a new virtual guitar rig from Positive Grid. I'll come back to the 'new' bit in that sentence in a minute but the first thing to make clear is that the app itself sounds brilliant. The interface is also very slick and there are several very novel features that mean this is – as a total, feature-rich package – now the app to beat for other developers who make virtual guitar amp sims/rigs for iOS. Paired with BIAS Amps (where you can design your own custom amp from virtual components), it makes for a very impressive system... and to repeat, it sounds brilliant.

Here's one I made earlier....

BIAS FX does, however, pose a question that gets us right back into the App Store economics issue. While BIAS FX is a 'new' app, at its heart, it does the same job as one of Positive Grid's current apps; JamUp Pro. JamUp Pro is an excellent app in its own right and it has a dedicated user base (myself included). Now, BIAS FX does, I think, improve upon JamUp in almost every aspect – technically and in terms of sound quality – but, if you are a current JamUp user (and have perhaps invested in a number of IAPs for use within that app), are you going to set aside that investment and buy into BIAS FX?

However, I think this example highlights a more general principle...  and it's a principle that goes well beyond the confines of BIAS FX and Positive Grid; the App Store lacks a creditable 'paid upgrade' system that is transparent to users and fair on developers. I've posted a few thoughts about this on the blog earlier today. Have a read but I'd be interested in hearing your own take on this issue (it might well be different to mine):-

http://www.musicappblog.com/updates-vs-upgrades/

Until next time, enjoy the apps you have, new or old... and get some music made...

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

First, many thanks to all of you who got in touch after last weeks newsletter and the post on the whole 'updates vs upgrades' issue that I highlighted. I'm not, of course, claiming to be the first person to raise any of these issues but the topic obviously does strike a chord with many iOS musicians.

http://www.musicappblog.com/updates-vs-upgrades/

Anyway, the piece did bring in quite a number of heart-felt responses, both as comments on the post and via email in response to the newsletter itself. Will this collective venting of feeling actually achieve anything? Well, we can hope but who knows....? However, for me, it is always good to hear the views of the blog's readers... so thanks again.

Better than the real thing

As a guitar player, my 'app of the week' this week was Yonac's Steel Guitar v.2.0. This was a pretty substantial revamp of an app that had been around on the App Store for some time and, while it had always been a good idea, v.2.0 has bought it to another level while also bringing it right up-to-date in terms of iOS music making technology:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/steel-guitar-review/

I went into the details of the app in the review itself so I'll not repeat that here. However, I would like to return to one point I mentioned; the concept of a virtual instrument being better than the real thing. Actually, providing you are careful with what you mean by 'better', I think there are lots of examples of this in music (including iOS music) technology (virtual analog synths that stay in tune, for example) but, in the case of Steel Guitar, I think 'better' can be used in a couple of quite interesting contexts.

While I'm a guitar player, I think I've only ever played a lap steel guitar twice in my life and, frankly, I was rubbish. It is really quite a specialist instrument and, in the right hands (not mine) can sound absolutely magical. Now, I like the occasional bit of country music and I love slide guitar in general but, even for my own library/production music work, I couldn't justify the expense of buying a real lap steel guitar (or the space it might require) for the (very) occasional use it might get.

However, within the context of a full mix (which is about the only place I'd be likely to use it), I actually think your average listener probably wouldn't know if I dropped in a few steel guitar licks whether they were the 'real thing' or the 'virtual thing' (even if they knew the virtual thing existing in the first place). OK, a regular steel guitar player would know.... but they are in a pretty small minority amongst those likely to hear my music. Yonac's Steel Guitar can get me a taste of that sound at a fraction of the price of the real thing and in a format that I can carry around in my pocket.

Second, what also made an impression upon me was just how easy Steel Guitar was to play compared to the 'real thing'. No, it will not have the subtlety of expression or the dynamics of the sound, but in terms of getting (pretty) instant gratification, it is very easy to learn how to 'play' this virtual lap steel. Certainly, an hour into using the app and I was getting better results than my previous couple of encounters with a real instrument.

So is a virtual instrument app even better than the real thing? OK, maybe not, but I think Steel Guitar, with its brilliant touchscreen interface is a great demonstration of why an iOS virtual instrument can, in some ways (in this case, price/convenience and easy of use), offer the user some advantages. And if you can think of any other iOS music apps that you might place in the same 'better than' category, then drop me a line and let me know....

Getting integrated

Music IO got a pretty significant update today and I posted about my first experiences with v.1.3 on the blog earlier:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/music-io-update/

The new version adds an 'effects loop' option for audio so that you can, in principle, use your iPhone or iPad as a send/return effects processor within your desktop DAW/sequencer system. I had this going with Cubase on my iMac today and it worked very well. I really hope this same technology can be ported over to the Windows platform; it's already very useable and the potential is great. To open up the user base to all those Windows music system would be a big step forward. Fingers crossed....

Big can also be nice

Sometimes, big companies can be a bit of an easy target for their customers (heck, and maybe sometimes they even deserve it) but it is also nice to acknowledge when they do something positive....  Just as the nice folk at Steinberg have done this week and offered me a bundle of their iOS music apps to giveaway on the blog:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/steinberg-giveaway/

No, it doesn't cost them much in the wider scheme of things.... but it is a welcome gesture, so many thanks for Lars and Stefan at Steinberg for making this giveaway possible. And, of course, as you subscribe to the email newsletter, you are automatically entered for this draw. Yes, there can only be one winner but, as the lottery cliché goes, 'you have to be in it to win it :-)

Until next time, enjoy the apps you have... and get some music made...

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

One of the most interesting things I've found about running the Music App Blog has had nothing to do with the iOS music technology it has exposed me to but the people it has allowed me to get to know, even if in many cases that has been in a virtual, online sort of a way. That includes, of course, lots of the regular readers at the site (and don't be shy; feel free to drop me a line and say 'hi') but, equally, many individuals who work within the development side of the industry.

Whatever the quirks the iTunes App Store has (including the totally unfathomable pricing structure), I think one of its virtues is that it does allow a keen and talented indie developer (one person in their spare room) to at least have a shot and, within the iOS music app development community, we have a number of such individuals (or small teams) that have had a go and produced some brilliant work.

Many of us – myself included – are often prepared to cut these indie developers a bit of slack in terms of what they do. That's not to say users are happy for the apps to be a bug-fest but, because these indie developers often come from the musician community anyway, and are generally very willing to interact with the user base, there is a perhaps a sense of 'one of us'; that is, these developers are part of, and helping to support, the iOS musician community... We might politely point out an issue and, ever grateful for some input, the developers will acknowledge said issue and, as soon as they can, deal with it.

By the same token, it is often tempting to have a pop at some of the bigger, and more anonymous, developers when things don't go quite to plan or they do something that doesn't quite sit comfortably with our own particular needs. It can be more difficult for individuals to interact with these companies or to get their views or issues listened to. It doesn't taken very many seconds with Google to go and find more forum threads than you can shake a stick at where a disgruntled user is airing their frustration at 'Big Music Technology Company X' because of some problem they have encountered with one of the company's products. As I'm sure we are all aware, these kinds of online discussions can, at times, get a little heated :-)

Credit where credits due

There may well be occasions when criticism is well and truly called for but, equally, even with the bigger companies, there are also times when credit should be duly given. I can think of a couple of examples of that this week in my own interactions with some of the bigger iOS music tech developers....

First, Steinberg – for all their Yahama-inspired mega-sized-ness – took the time to provide me with the prizes for the app giveaway I was able to run last week. Now, in terms of their budgets, it was pretty small beer but the fact is that they bothered at all. It's a small gesture but it does suggest that someone within this big company is doing their bit to spread a little good will (as well as generating a modest amount of additional product exposure) amongst their potential user base. So, thank you to Steinberg from me (oh, and from reader Jez Shervell who seemed very happy with his prize).

The second example is perhaps more one of 'potential' rather than actually delivery at this point but, given just how much flack this company has copped from some iOS music making quarters in the not-so-distant past, it is perhaps a surprising one; IK Multimedia.

Now, this is a company that used to favour the pop-up ad when you launched their apps and many iOS musicians gave them plenty of grief for that policy. That does now seem to be a thing of the past and, while I'm sure there are still some that are wary of IK Multimedia as one of the bigger music tech developers, it has to be said that they make some very good apps and have embraced iOS music making in a pretty full-on fashion.

As many of you might well be aware, IK Multimedia have started leaking teaser details for an imminent release of the next generation of AmpliTube for iOS; v.4 is due before the end of May.

http://www.musicappblog.com/amplitube-4-announced/

The interesting thing here is that IK Multimedia have already gone out of their way to make it clear that (a) v.4 will be a free upgrade to existing users, (b) existing IAPs will work within the new version and (c) that, for a few days at least, the current version is actually available for free. While there may well be a certain element of competition-driven decision making behind some of this given the recent release of Positive Grid's BIAS FX, it's difficult not to be impressed by the approach and it can only be welcomed by the existing AmpliTube iOS user base.

Of course, we have no idea at this point what AmpliTube 4 for iOS is going to sound like but, as it apparently includes a comprehensive port of the modelling engine found in the full desktop version of AmpliTube, the odds are that it will sound pretty good. Fingers crossed and we will have to wait and find out...  but, until then, a nod is due to IK Multimedia for the approach they seem to be adopting to the new version whatever the underlying marketing logic might be behind said approach.

Oh, and I might have a third example to mention with another giveaway that I'm trying to line up....  but I'll save that for the website when I have all the details confirmed :-)

Until next time, enjoy the apps you have...  and get some music made.

Best wishes
John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

There have been all sorts of interesting app-related things going on in the last week (including, for the guitar player in me, the release of AmpliTube 4; and very good it is too). However, here at Music App Blog Towers, this week seems to have been dominated by drum machines of one sort or another.

First up was the very welcome update to the already rather impressive Diode-108. Vibrant have turned a very solid start into something a whole lot easier to use with other apps by adding both MIDI in and MIDI Clock sync support. Check out the full details here but this is now a very impressive package if you want an iPad-based 'classic' drum machine tool:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/diode-108-update/

Hot on the heels of Diode came an update to Brazilian Drum Machine. The app had been released a few weeks ago but a bug was discovered with the Audiobus/IAA implementation so I held fire on a review until that was addressed. However, not it has been dealt with, like Rock Drum Machine 2 also from Lumbeat, Brazilian Drum Machine is a bit of a gem. Again, check out the full review here:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/brazilian-drum-machine-review/

I'm no Latin American music expert but, to my ears, this captures the character of many of the complex and exciting rhythms associated with Brazilian music....  and I can easily imagine myself using this in my own recording projects if I need a taste of 'Latin'.

To round off my drum machine week, today I published a bit of a 'catch-up' review looking at the Gumdrops app. This is an app that totally passed me by when it was first released but I'm now kicking myself a bit over that. Gumdrops has borrowed an idea from Propellerhead's Figure but run with it in a very clever and flexible fashion. If you struggle with programming drumbeats from scratch then this would be a tool well worth looking at:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/gumdrops-review/

Oh, and while its internal sounds are good, with support for MIDI out, you can actually use Gumdrops to drive other drum machines if you wish... Very cool and very easy to use.

Spending time with all three of these apps this week really did make me appreciate just how many brilliant drum/beat making tools we have available under iOS. And, when you consider that you could buy all three of these apps for less than the price of pizza for two, it really is remarkable just how much beat making you can get for such a modest price. For all the quirks that iOS has as a music making platform, you would be hard-pressed to make any sort of argument against the idea that the software offers incredible value for money.

Going free

Congratulations to Roger Fralich who was the winner of the mega-bundle of apps from Sugar Bytes in the special giveaway that was running last week. Many thanks to everyone who entered but also to Sugar Bytes themselves for very kindly providing the prize.

Apologies and commiserations to everyone else who entered though (only one winner I'm afraid) but, as there are two further giveaways that have been launched on the blog today (for Flection and Diode-108), keep your fingers crossed :-)

Until next time, enjoy the apps you have...  and may the beats be with you as they were with me this week.
Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

admin

No prizes for guessing the highlight – well, actually, highlights – of my personal iOS music making week this week; two new synth app releases in the form of Korg's iM1 and KV331 Audio's SynthMaster Player. I have more iOS synths at my disposal than I need already and certainly more than I can ever hope to possible learn how to use properly...   but that hasn't stopped me from wanting to get to grips with both iM1 and SynthMaster Player. In their own ways – and they are very different virtual synth apps – they are both just plain brilliant.

I've looked at SynthMaster Player already and you can read the full review here:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/synthmaster-player-review/

The interface might be a bit unsophisticated looking (functional) but don't let that put you off. Just download the base app – it's free – and try out the 100 presets you get for free. Then register the app and get the extra 100 presets...  and I suspect by the time you have done that, and realised that it sounds pretty darn good, you might find the UK£3.99 IAP that takes you up to 800 presets quite tempting...  I know I did :-)

Don't be put off by the 'player' tag either. Yes, this is an app that is about some high quality preset sounds but you can tweak the sounds in a number of ways...  That said, if programming is not your thing, then SynthMaster is going to be right up your street :-)

Korg are, in my eyes, already up there as one of the better iOS music app developers. Gadget and Module are a pretty awesome combination and, with iM1, which can also be used within Gadget, I think they have done more than enough to maintain their lofty status. The app is, of course, based upon the classic hardware M1 synth and, if the user feedback I've seen already is reflective of the mood of the majority of early adopters, then Korg have pretty much nailed this virtual recreation in the app.

Oh, and for a while at least, you can get the iM1 at a 'launch' price of just UK£14.99. Yep, that's more than the 'free' entry point for SynthMaster Player, but it is also brilliant value for money; iM1 simply sounds awesome. And if you have not yet taken the plunge with either Gadget or Module, then now is as good a time as any...  these apps are currently on sale also:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/korg-news-2/

A full review of the iM1 will follow shortly on the blog :-)

Do I need any more synth apps? No, of course not, but both of these new releases are well worth adding to almost any synth collectors sonic arsenal.

Oh, and talking of free stuff....  do check out the review of Amazing Noises new DubFilter filter app. This is a very neat audio effects app and I could imagine lots of folk getting plenty of good use out of it:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/dubfilter-review-2/

... and it is, of course, free. No, I don't understand why that's the case either but, if I was you, I'd grab a copy quick before they change their minds :-)

Until next time, enjoy the apps you have...  and get some music made....

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

John Walden's YouTube Channel with many reviews of IOS Music apps and techniques

https://www.youtube.com/user/daftdogjw/videos

Elantric

I know... this is (a) a difficult question to answer, (b) depends upon what sort of app function we might be talking about and (c) is perhaps more of a 'pub and a pint' conversation than a quantifiable argument that could ever be resolved (in the sort of 'what's the best song ever?' category of question).

That said, like all iOS musicians I guess, I've a few personal favourites amongst the many excellent developers that make iOS music making possible. And, as I mentioned last week, with the release of their iM1 synth app to add to the excellent Gadget and Module, Korg are making some serious efforts to get to the top of that personal list.

I think its fair to say that the iM1 has been pretty well received all round. Yes, it is possible to identify some specific additional things it might be nice to see and it is perhaps not the 'only' serious synth you might want on your iPad but, with some fabulous sounds covering a very broad pallet, some detailed editing options and 8-part multi-timbral performance, it could certainly sit at the core of your sound source options for electronic music making.

Anyway, I put up the full review of the app at the start of the week so, if you haven't checked that out yet, then give it a look:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/im1-review/

Korg's iM1 has become an instant 'go to' synth app for me....  How about you? Well, if you are tempted but haven't picked up a copy just yet then don't leave it too long. The launch pricing - UK£14.99 - is still in place and, at this price, iM1 is pretty amazing value for money.

Best iOS music app developer ever?

I've mentioned in the past that iOS music making needs to keep working on its profile in order to attract more musicians into the fold. Given just how make iPads and iPhone are likely to be in the hands of musicians, the potential must be huge and, for the industry as a whole, if it is going to transition from a niche interest into a fully-fledged (mainstream?) branch of the wider music technology world, a bigger user base is required. Eventually, this translates into more app (and hardware) sales and, therefore, a more sustainable environment for developers to work within.

So how do we spread the word about iOS music making? This is a topic of talked about before on the blog and, while the article was written just over a year ago, I think many of the points are still valid:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/ios-music-technology-industry/

One of the various ways in which that process might be encouraged if for the iOS music development community – both software and hardware – to have some sort of formal industry body. I'm not, in general, a fan of bureaucracy (I have, in part, become a self-employed musician/music tech journalist to escape that type of experience!) but I think it would offer some interesting opportunities for (a) some standards to be refined, (b) as a pressure group to liaise with Apple on behalf of iOS music making and (c) for some self-promotion.

Various branches of the music industry do this in one way or another and, in terms of the music making process, industry shows such as NAMM and Frankfurt offer an example of how a co-ordinated approach can help in the promotion of an industry sector. It would be interesting to see if iOS music technology could gain some traction from having its own (probably small scale to start with) 'industry body and/or events' to help the push towards a more mainstream profile.

Which brings me back to my question in the title of this week's email....  The music industry – like most specialist industries – has its fair share of annual awards. These are, of course, seen by many as a complete waste of time and, as with the 'best song ever?' question, when it comes to something that is artistic, it is all about opinions (oh, and sales figures...  don't forget sales figures....). However, these sorts of events do create a buzz, whether it's in the international press for the Oscars or the music tech press for the 'best guitar of the year' type awards.

So how about some music app awards? Best synth app of the year (iM1 will be a contender when we reach the end of 2105)? Best audio effects app? Best recording/composition app? Maddest music app? Overall app of the year? Oh, and best music app developer?

I've no intention of attempting anything scientific or quantitative here but I'd be interested in your own thoughts on the last of these questions. Over the last 18 months or so, Korg would have to be near the top of my own list of contenders....  but what about you? Who would be top of your own list and why? If you can spare a minute then drop me a reply and let me know....  I'll round up the responses and provide some feedback next time around....

Until then, enjoy the apps you have...  be grateful to the developers involved (!), and get some music made....

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog

Elantric

The last 9 months or so has been an 'interesting' time for iOS using musicians and, as implied by the use of quotation marks, in this context I mean interesting 'good' and interesting 'bad'.

On the 'good' front, we have had the appearance of the iPad Air 2 which, if you could justify a new device, has bought yet another significant hike in performance, more RAM, and continued the very rapid increase we have seen in the underlying capability of iOS hardware.

Also on the 'good' front has been a bewildering number of really brilliant new iOS music apps. These include apps such as Module, Egoist, Cyclop, iM1, SynthMaster Player, Flux:FX, DFX, SoundScaper....  well, the list could go on but check out the reviews section of the blog if you need to catch up:-

There has, however, in a ying-yang sort of a fashion, also been some 'bad'. Much of this has been as a result of the introduction of iOS8 and some of the difficulties changes within this release of the operating system have posed for music app developers. Now, unless you are particularly fond of conspiracy theories, I don't think anyone would seriously suggest Apple set out to make life difficult for the niche musician group of its user base but, one way or another, that is kind of what has happened over recent months.

Of course, things have improved more recently as developers have gradually caught up with quite what has changed in iOS8 and Apple themselves have continued to refine this iteration of their mobile OS so that we now have iOS8.3. Indeed, while there is still plenty of workflow optimization possible for iOS music making, right here, right now (that is, for me, running iOS8.3 on my iPad Air 1 test system), things are working rather well thank you very much....

So, watching the WWDC 2015 keynote, and following some of the reaction, as iOS9 was announced, has left me with somewhat mixed emotions. I posted a few thoughts on the blog earlier in the week so, if you have not already, take a read:-

http://www.musicappblog.com/ios9/

The key point of interest for musicians hinges around a single, rather brief paragraph in the technical support documentation Apple also released this week and, if everyone is reading the runes correctly, suggests we might be about to see a true audio plugin format (based upon Apple's Audio Units format that has been available on the desktop for many years). The geeky, tech-head part of me is already very excited about that prospect.

On the flipside, the pragmatic, 'want to get some music made' part of me does wonder whether we might, having just got most of the dust settled from the arrival of iOS8, be in for another bout of disruption. Anyway, I'd be interested in your thoughts so drop by the post and leave a comment if you feel so inclined.

We could all decide not to get involved, stay with iOS8 and just ignore iOS9. After all, lots of iOS musicians are still quite happily using iOS7. The same thing applies in the desktop music world....  lots of musicians are, for example, still using Windows 7 (or even Windows XP) rather than Windows 8 or embracing the prospect of Windows 10.

Of course, the 'keep my head' down approach only works for so long. Eventually, as we have seen with iOS6, your OS just becomes so far out of date that everything else passes you by and, solid though your OS may be, none of the software you really want to use continues to run under it.

There will undoubtedly be a few brave souls who will take the plunge with iOS9 on day 1. Will I be one of them? Well, I certainly won't be too far behind....  the geeky tech-head will, I suspect, win out... and I would probably being doing the regular readers of the blog (and members of the email list) a bit of a disservice if I didn't (even if I keep my eyes closed while doing it) upgrade to the new OS for the purposes of research.

Still, we do have a little bit more calm before the iOS9 storm might hit so, until then, enjoy the apps you have... and get some music made....

Best wishes,

John

John Walden
The Music App Blog