VG-99 - Going for Ice 'Em

Started by dpcoffin, August 16, 2008, 09:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpcoffin

This is my first attempt to see how well I could duplicate an old fav VG-8 patch of mine (Ice 'Em) on the 99; overall, I'm very pleased! The main issue was could I simulate the 8's wonderful per-string pitch blending pedal function on the 99 using A/B mix set to an FC-300 expression pedal, with two identical COSM guitars, one set up with pitch shifts and one without. Seems to be working so far!

The other issues were to do with the new vari guitar and the 99's amp models. The vari worked well. I chose the 99's Soldano sim just because that's the name of the sim I'd used on the 8. I didn't go through all the other options, or fiddle much with the speakers; I just wanted to see if I could get close using models with the same name. I didn't want a clean or full-range sound. I wanted a very slight trebly distortion and a timbre that had a character that would emphasize the out of phase vari PUs. I found it pretty quickly.... BUT when I ran the export by Bill Ruppert (thanks for the help, Bill!), it was way too distorted on his system. Imported back into mine no problem. So, I have no idea yet what the issues are, or where our systems are different. Comments welcome!

The intent is to start with a guitar/amp sound that is trebley in the low strings and bassy in the high strings, plus thinned out and cold overall, then add a pedal-blendable shift up a 5th on the low 4 strings and down a 5th on the 2 high strings, then see how this mixed with mag PU sounds from other processors in my system using an external mixer, the way I did with the VG8.

I'm using a GK-3 set to 50 on all strings except 65 on the high E, btw. Monitoring through a mixer with headphones...

The mp3 shows what the patch sounds like on my system. It's in 4 sections: the VG-8 original sound, the 99 version, then the 99 version layered with a smooth lead sound from the mag pickups through another processor, mixed outside the 99, then back to the 8 for a farewell look at the noise levels that are now history.

Thanks, all!
dc

Kenmac

Sounds great David. I've also been thinking of re-doing some of my old VG-8 patches. BTW for those of you unfamiliar with David, he's come up with some amazing, what I would call "soundscapes", for the Roland VG series and I look forward to not only trying out this patch but also to whatever new patches he uploads here. On one of my old VG-8 patch sets called "Jo And Hex" I created one patch called "SpaceyJo" which used the Banjo model and a lot of delay (among other things) and it was definitely inspired by Davids patches.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

Paresh

one of my favorite VG 8 patches was a clean wah with pitch shifting blended in...I think it was David's?
paresh