Using a rotary midi controller for rehearsals

Started by KeldAmpworks, May 06, 2013, 04:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeldAmpworks

Hi,

I've had a GR55 for a few months now, I started lurking on this forum shortly after and have had seen some great tips.

I love the Gr55 as a tool, great sounds and it's really adding something constructive to the function bands I play for.  I'm slowly working on getting more and more out of it. Here's my question

Obviously I prepare all my patches in advance of rehearsals but they always need tweaking on rehearsal day. So my thought is this: with a guitar amp, turning knobs to change parameters is easy, you can do it mid song. With a menu based bit of kit, its not that convenient.

Is it possible to use a rotary midi controller such as this behringer BCR2000 to control the most used parameters? Would the assignment stay constant across patches? http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCR2000.aspx

How easy will this be? Where to start?

Then if I dont use the controller for gigs, will there be any complications (I cant see why there would be).

I've also got another post about frustrations with midi program change (https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8515.0) on the go but I thought I'd keep this separate.

Thanks,

mbenigni

Man, every time I read the VGuitar forums I find myself wanting to buy something new.   ::)

I haven't done any serious research, but at a glance I get the impression this could work out quite well.  The key is in this point:

Quote16 + 4 illuminated buttons freely assignable to all types of MIDI functions from note on/off, control change and program change to MMC and system exclusive data

Provided you can assign variable (e.g. per encoder positions) SysEx strings to each of the controls (the product description is a little vague as to whether the rotaries are as flexible as the buttons) and save these as a persistent profile of some sort, you can use this product to control most if not all settings in the GR55.  SysEx is (primarily) what Gumtown's Floorboard editing application sends to the GR55, and I used that same SysEx to program the TouchOSC template I use to control my GR55 from an iPad.  In fact, you could probably download the TouchOSC editor app (free) and my template (free) and copy and paste the SysEx strings from there into a BCR2000 editor (assuming Behringer provides one) to set it all up.

I love the visual aspect of a touchscreen, but nothing beats hardware rotaries/faders.  If my assumptions here are correct (up to you to confirm!) then the BCR2000 looks like a great affordable solution.

Elantric

QuoteMan, every time I read the VGuitar forums I find myself wanting to buy something new.   ::)

Its by design, as a method to boost the global economy (and make you poorer) - one arcane music gear purchase at a time!

Welcome to "Elantric's house of feeling inadequate!" a.k.a "How to go broke in 7627 easy steps! or

"Id be a major Star if Only I owned (insert link to recent VGuitarForums post here) ;)

--
Actually Ive owned a BCR-2000 for a while (currently in storage), purchased it with the Goal of using it to Edit VG-88 Patches live.

Be sure to research all the BCR-2000 resources on the net
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/bc2000/

Best one is BC Manager

http://home.kpn.nl/~f2hmjvandenberg281/bcman.html

as Berk, the developer of BC Manager points out :
So considering the abt. 3750 hours it has taken me to develop BC Manager, my earnings currently stand at about $0.10 per hour.

mbenigni

Quote"Id be a major Star if Only I owned (insert link to recent VGuitarForums post here)

LOL Better odds if I'd made time to play half the crap I already owned, instead of optimizing the next set up in my head.  Bassetrox, you have been warned!  ;)

QuoteSo considering the abt. 3750 hours it has taken me to develop BC Manager, my earnings currently stand at about $0.10 per hour.

I've embarked on a few projects like this.  And then I realized that the time I spent answering emails, distributing files, directing people to my PayPal account, etc. was costing me more than the the few dollars I'd ask in exchange for my efforts in the first place.  Never mind the time spent coming up with the solution I was trying to monetize.  Now when I get into this kind of thing I don't kid myself:  it's all gratis.

KeldAmpworks

Thanks mbenigni, Elantric

So (Pardon my ignorance) After a bit of research, it looks like sysex commands are unique to each piece of equip/manf? This is all new to me.

I'll see if I can pick one up 2nd hand and then see where it takes me!

If only I had an Ipad I'd just use your work!

rolandvg99

The BCR2000 is a steal. Parts by themselves cost more than the assembled unit. My next project is to solder external foot control for the 16 push buttons and possibly the 8 pot push buttons as well. Haven't thought about a connector yet, but I might opt for the D25 standard. Any ideas are welcome.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

mbenigni

QuoteSo (Pardon my ignorance) After a bit of research, it looks like sysex commands are unique to each piece of equip/manf? This is all new to me.

Correct.  SysEx is short for "system exclusive", so what you're saying is true by definition.

QuoteIf only I had an Ipad I'd just use your work!

You might find an old iPad 1 as cheap as, or cheaper than, the BCR2000, and that's perfectly adequate for TouchOSC.  Just bear in mind you also need something to get OSC from the iPad to the GR55.  I use a Jabrudian Missing Link, which is something on the order of another $150.  Otherwise you'll need a Mac/PC running Osculator or some other means of translating OSC to MIDI... frankly, I don't know a whole lot about all that.

I shot a couple of videos about the iPad/TouchOSC approach a couple of years ago.  The template I'm using in these is somewhat out of date, but they will give you a sense of the pros and cons:

QuoteThe BCR2000 is a steal. Parts by themselves cost more than the assembled unit.

Agreed, the price is ridiculous.  Cheap labor and economies of scale - I never know whether to feel excited or guilty when I see a price like that!

Can you confirm whether the faders can be assigned custom SysEx strings with variables for their positions embedded?  If so, bassetrox would be in business.

KeldAmpworks

Wonderful!

Thanks,

I don't suppose either of you knowledgable gents (or ladies?) has any input on my midi PC question here?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8515.msg60974#msg60974

Musicman gave me a prompt response, but he didn't sound 100% sure.