FTP- How much latency added running FTP at end of GK13 cable?

Started by Smash, May 01, 2015, 02:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

I've been reading all the info about sharing GK3 pup with FTP and, IF I've got it right, it seems there are two options:

1) split the mag pup at source using decoupling capcitors into FTP
2) split the output of GK13 cable before entering VG99 or whatever and trim pot per string to tame the levels down to something the FTP can handle.

I expect option 1 is the best but option 2 gives much more felxibility as it's not tied to a single guitar. However, I'm curious whether there'll be any kind of latency hit having had the HEX feed go through the active circuitry of the GK wart and then the run down the cable. Is this something to worry about?

Also curious whether running throught the GK wart circuitry may have any effect on the FTPs note translation abilities - will it reduce performance?

Just like the idea of a single splitter box that house the FTP as a bolt on.

Frankster

It shouldn't add much latency, other than the extra time required for a few electrons to travel down a GK cable. The propagation speed is around 300,000 kilometres a second so I don't think this would be any kind of problem.

I'd guess the main problem would be signal attenuation in the cable. The GK pickup is very low output, it may not trigger quite as well on the end of a cable. Just guessing here though, not something I'd ever want to try.