FTP - new triple play many problems. HELP!!

Started by musicamex, April 19, 2015, 02:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicamex

hi amigos,

my fishman triple play arrived and i feel the hardware part is physically ok and much nicer than the old gk and axon warts, which i hated.  the hardware installed easily and looks good even to an anti wart guy.  i bought this to see whether i want to pursue an oem style build in kit(s) for the guitars i build.  i have installed countless fishman pickups and recommend them so this hardware part was positive in a familiar way.

but re the software side of this product, i have had so many glitches with the software, that so far i have only been able to play patches in nexus.  i did the download and installation onto my windows 7 laptop but have gone through screaming speakers requiring a power button shutdown, 2 FTP crashes that shut down the FTP program one blacklisting sampletank then crashing.  so far after hours of downloading and CIA level registering of software i have had a minus 11 amount of enjoyment on a scale of 1 to 10 in actually playing anything other than nexus patches.  sample tank prompts me to register within 10 days each time it opens though i have done that twice already and have gotten emails from them thanking me for that.  i have uninstalled and re installed the ftp program twice. no luck.  i did all of the Native instruments downloads per instructions including the updates and installations after installing the the Komplete etc programs from the fishman download page.  on the FTP program page everything seems very unresponsive and even my mouse pad wont respond to taps.  i have to physically click the mouse buttons and even then they seem unresponsive. the toggle button on the ftp is also sluggish and quirky.  i have the computer requirements fishman suggests and plenty of HD space left.  windows  7 64 bit, but i have tried in both 32 and 64 bit modes.

any suggestions without losing my registrations for the downloads?  i would start again if i thought i did something wrong but i reread the instructions and ALLOT more trying to find what went wrong.

if someone from fishman is reading this, you could ship the product with a memory stick or dvds to make this somewhat easier.  if i can get a 16 gig usb memory stick for 7 bucks you could do much better supplying them, loaded with streamlined installations and get your product up and running easier so we could be musicians, advertising your gear, instead of being frustrated computer jockeys, mumbling unflattering expletives followed by fishman.  make this process as close to buying a car as possible.  pay the guy, sign the form, put in the key and drive.  for me this has been like walking to mecca and finding out i was going to hell anyway.  i could have done 50 of the hardware installations in the time it took to have zero luck with the software side of this.   give the good guy in the hardware design dept a big oak stick and send him to the software procurement/design office and have him whoop some sense into those guys.

sorry for the rant, but to get something here in the first place is allot harder than pushing a paypal button.  but if it makes me smile its worth it.  id really like to get this working and see if it lives up to its good reviews.  i now know it lives up to some of the bad ones.

Elantric

musicamex

I was saving that as a last resort, Elantric.  Thanks For the reply.

musicamex

I copied and pasted what i wrote here in the Fishman contact form message box.   Interestingly, even the contact form is quirky!   You can't use the prompts that come up as you type in android.  It kept rejecting my submission stating the form had errors.   below it said to enter a valid email address.  I tried 4 addresses i use for business and personal with no luck.  I removed my phone in mexico as it is longer than normal and tried my usa magic jack.   I even had the "are you human" number verification at the end speak the numbers to me.  until i typed the email address letter for letter instead of using the useful suggested word prompts that appear as i touch type with one finger, the communication wouldn't go through.  Even though auto fill and using typing prompts always worked everywhere else, after this last week,  I guess im not surprised.

I hope i get some help.  I won't  be back from Mexico City till sunday and will devote myself to their suggestions, or put this on ebay until they make them more user friendly or dissappear like all of the splashes in the guitar synth pond.  THIS IS SUCH A GREAT CONCEPT I REALLY WANT IT TO WORK.!  I'D LIKE TO BUILD A CLEAN WIRELESS SYNTH GUITAR, BUT WITHOUT THE COMPUTER CAVEATS.

shawnb

The greatest miracle of modern technology is how much we tolerate it...  (You can quote me on that!)

Can't really help you with download issues or web forms.  Sorry, gotta work those out on your own. 

If you have any working synth, either hardware synth or a soft synth, you can get started with just the quick, short FTP download.  Use that software to do the initial setup, and if necessary, to have it talk with your existing synth.   

The NI and IK software is really a bunch of demo versions of their soft synths & guitar processors to show you what can be done.  If you have any existing working synths & guitar FX, you can get started with those instead. 

Only download the IK and NI software if you really need it.   The only required download is the small FTP software.

YES, the large downloads are a significant pain.   See if FTP support can send you DVDs - specifically ask them for that & see what they say. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Vade

I wasn't fond of the FTP install process; but it did work. What you're experiencing with both the install and the attempts to contact support is ridiculous. If it were me I'd form a new partition on my hard drive, install Windows with updates and necessary drivers/software, and try the FTP install on that. If successful then it's probably a software/virus issue causing problems, but if unsuccessful, I'd get an RMA via phone support and replace the FTP. If a second FTP failed on a fresh Windows install then I'd suspect an issue with my laptop/usb hardware. I love my FTP and wish you much luck getting it working so you get your smile.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Elantric

FWIW - If you lack a high speed internet access - I highly recommend  buying the Fender Tripleplay Strat

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/fender-fishman-tripleplay-stratocaster-hss/product-0141800.html

Why?

Because Fender understands the daunting  / lengthy Software download hurdle required to jump through to install the Ftp software bundle ( which took me 4 days to install too)

So Fender includes all the FTP software on a separate USB Thumb Drive.

http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/fender-fishman-tripleplay-stratocaster-hss-install-for-mac-os/
QuoteIncluded USB flash drive containing Fishman® TriplePlay, IK Multimedia SampleTank 2.5 and AmpliTube Custom Shop, and Native Instruments Komplete Elements

If High Speed internet access was nowhere near, and I wanted a Tripleplay - its the only path Id use.

musicamex

Shawnb, i will quote you !  So true.  It seems designers often can't imagine us mere mortals aren't happy or comfortable when something we order comes imbeded in layers of technological concrete we must chip away before we, well, not me in this case, can enjoy the intended use of the product we bought.  I KNOW fishman could have and might in the future, streamline this process.  I hope they do.

The fishman instructions mention to install NI and IK and updates BEFORE  Installing the FTP software.  I dont have software synths already on my computer.  I have been a hardware synth guy for  almost 20 yrs.  I really bought the FTP to leave the hardware in my studio on gig nights.  If all of those gb i downloaded are just demo programs i hate to see how much space the full programs would take!  So far, no reply from Fishman.

Vade, thanks for the suggestions.  The new partition might work, if i have enough space for windows and the 40 gb space fishman requires.  Getting a rma is easy but returning something from here and getting a replacement through customs isn't.   At least now that the snow birds have gone north And the slower hot summer season is kicking in.  We depend on "mules" as we affectionately refer to tourists that bring us musicians our toys in their baggage.   Thats how the 2 FTP units got here.  Since we have 2 fishman hardware units here i will put my friends on my guitar and visa versa to see if it is a hardware issue.  I suspect it is not.   If this is going to possibly be built into my guitars, I'd like to know that it isnt so quirky with windows machines, because guess who the customer will come to first if it is. >:(

musicamex

Quote from: Elantric on April 22, 2015, 08:02:36 AM
FWIW - If you lack a high speed internet access - I highly recommend  buying the Fender Tripleplay Strat

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/fender-fishman-tripleplay-stratocaster-hss/product-0141800.html

Why?

Because Fender understands the daunting  / lengthy Software download hurdle required to jump through to install the Ftp software bundle ( which took me 4 days to install too)

So Fender includes all the FTP software on a separate USB Thumb Drive.

http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/fender-fishman-tripleplay-stratocaster-hss-install-for-mac-os/
If High Speed internet access was nowhere near, and I wanted a Tripleplay - its the only path Id use.

I feel better knowing someone with your savy, Elantric,  had a 4 day date with the DOWNLOAD too.  Not that i would wish that on anyone.  Especially someone as devoted to v guitar and helping us.

Since i build every guitar i play, i would like the fender thumb drive, but playing their guitar in public would not speak much for my axes.  The important thing about what you mentioned is FENDER FIGURED OUT THE THUMB DRIVE.......SO WHY COULDN'T FISHMAN?  Its like buying a boat motor and having to build a boat exactly right so it works, OR go buy the boat with the motor pre installed.  Now what do i do with the custom boats i already own and am attached to when i bought the motor in the first place, based on advertising.  I can't help the coastal analogy.  I live a block from a 300 slip marina.

I really hope fishman reads this stuff.

Elantric

QuoteFENDER FIGURED OUT THE THUMB DRIVE.......SO WHY COULDN'T FISHMAN?

Exact words were spoken by me to the Fishman Tripleplay beta team - Its a huge struggle that makes it almost a social class exclusion.

"No high speed internet = no using the Fishman Tripleplay Bundle.

Also if you have never used IK Multimedia or Native Instruments products - there is a learning curve for newbies just to get the individual Licence managers operating and knowing the correct sequence to enter codes, and how to "Activate" the software.  The support response from N.I. was like - "go find a 16 year old to help you with computers  - old man".

Fishman Tripleplay - Great hardware - crippled by a poorly executed support decision to not offer an option for ordering a "Tripleplay Software Bundle Blu-Ray DVD-ROM"  for the 40GB software installation - for the "have nots" without access to high speed internet     

shawnb

Quote from: musicamex on April 22, 2015, 09:33:55 AMThe fishman instructions mention to install NI and IK and updates BEFORE  Installing the FTP software.

The install guide says to install them first "to enable TriplePlay's factory patches".   

If you don't want to use the IK or NI software, or the FTP presets based on them, you don't need to download them at all.

***However, if you do install the FTP software first, then choose to install the IK and NI software later, a quick re-install of the FTP software will properly load the presets.***   So you can gain access to the presets if you install them 'out of order'.   

The manual also talks about simply operating the device with NO software in BASIC mode in their "In a Hurry" section:   
"Fishman's TriplePlay controller and USB receiver will likely be usable without any additional software, when connected to systems and applications that support MIDI input. This may even include hardware and software not meeting TriplePlay's written requirements. Basic MIDI Controller Mode is useful for quick access to MIDI functions, with little or no software installation required, and will allow access to proprietary plug-ins and instruments not usable within Fishman's software.
A minimal installation of TriplePlay software on any compatible computer will allow you to set your string sensitivity and transport it with your hardware for use in Basic MIDI Controller Mode with other systems."

Quote from: musicamex on April 22, 2015, 09:33:55 AMI dont have software synths already on my computer.  I have been a hardware synth guy for  almost 20 yrs.  I really bought the FTP to leave the hardware in my studio on gig nights.  If all of those gb i downloaded are just demo programs i hate to see how much space the full programs would take!  So far, no reply from Fishman.

You should try playing the HW synths, it's worth it.   

Though the IK & NI software are their freebie demo programs, there are worthwhile patches in there.  Definitely usable.   

AND YES... If you buy the full packages, the downloads can get MUCH bigger...    :o
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

cadarette

Hello -

Sorry that you have had difficulty getting set up. There is definitely a learning curve when entering the world of soft-synths, and there's no doubt that it is a multi-step process to get the 3rd-party software downloaded, registered, and installed correctly. That being said, I see you have been in touch with Frank here in support, and I'm sure he will get you sorted out quickly. Please note that it's always best to contact us directly with technical questions, as we have experience resolving most common issues (and uncommon ones as well). In addition, we are always willing to provide remote support on your computer directly.

Matt Cadarette
Fishman Transducers

shawnb

Elantric

QuotePlease note that it's always best to contact us directly with technical questions, as we have experience resolving most common issues (and uncommon ones as well). In addition, we are always willing to provide remote support on your computer directly.

Matt Cadarette
Fishman Transducers

Excellent  - thanks for posting Matt!

whippinpost91850

That support, makess me want to get another FTP

musicamex

thanks for the reply matt.  i am setting up a remote session on monday when i am back in my shop/studio.  i know it is best to contact the source, but after a few days throwing biscuits at a barking dog sometimes it is more calming to go elsewhere and ask others if their dogs barked for 2 days and what they did to make peace.  i look forward to the remote session now to see if my computer will handle the huge files.  i really want this to work.

Elantric

Quotebut after a few days throwing biscuits at a barking dog sometimes it is more calming to go elsewhere and ask others if their dogs barked for 2 days and what they did to make peace.

Reminds me of the Dr. John  tune:

"How come my Dog don't Bark when You come around"
http://youtu.be/KfDjOEWghIo

BackDAWman

Another way to get started quickly is to use an iPad with a CCK and some cheap soft synths. For me this worked straight out of the box.

Elantric

QuoteAnother way to get started quickly is to use an iPad with a CCK and some cheap soft synths. For me this worked straight out of the box.

Correct! - and this is the way I actually use the FTP bulk of the time

Fishman Tripleplay F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8427.0

musicamex

Quote from: shawnb on April 22, 2015, 11:38:59 AM
The install guide says to install them first "to enable TriplePlay's factory patches".   

If you don't want to use the IK or NI software, or the FTP presets based on them, you don't need to download them at all.

***However, if you do install the FTP software first, then choose to install the IK and NI software later, a quick re-install of the FTP software will properly load the presets.***   So you can gain access to the presets if you install them 'out of order'.   

The manual also talks about simply operating the device with NO software in BASIC mode in their "In a Hurry" section:   
"Fishman's TriplePlay controller and USB receiver will likely be usable without any additional software, when connected to systems and applications that support MIDI input. This may even include hardware and software not meeting TriplePlay's written requirements. Basic MIDI Controller Mode is useful for quick access to MIDI functions, with little or no software installation required, and will allow access to proprietary plug-ins and instruments not usable within Fishman's software.
A minimal installation of TriplePlay software on any compatible computer will allow you to set your string sensitivity and transport it with your hardware for use in Basic MIDI Controller Mode with other systems."

You should try playing the HW synths, it's worth it.   

Though the IK & NI software are their freebie demo programs, there are worthwhile patches in there.  Definitely usable.   

AND YES... If you buy the full packages, the downloads can get MUCH bigger...    :o

the reason i bought triple play was to slim down the "gig gear" so i DID want to test the softsynths.  in the studio it is different.  i have a few hardware synths and like what they do through the 13 pin, but i dont haul them to gigs.  less is more for us old guys with bad backs.  the girls might get prettier at closin time but the gear multiplies in quantity and weight and the car gets further away too.  a laptop or tablet, my guitar and an amp for the guitar output? now yu have my attention.

that being said, if the fishman improves on being hardwired into the hardware in the studio/lab, i would be more than interested in trying that.  but if it is for gigs, i'll stick with my 13 pin setup if the fishman doesn't provide increased simplicity.  i have an emu proteus and 3 or 4 other hardware synths i don't use much (orbit, carnival old roland) along with an old bluechip with the good sound card, a couple of ax100's a string of roland gear, a gk 1 to 4 splitter, on and on, but not much of it moves from the racks.  what do you use/recommend for hardware/software synths?  we are still in the stone age here.  but i keep bring toys home from my trips north.  i have one planned for the end of may.  i might have to get a more souped up laptop.  is windows going to work? 

musicamex

thanks for the support guys.  i don't feel like ripping my FTP off of my axe now.  and the dr john tune brought back memories and made me smile, Elantric.

what kind of ipad is what i should get?  seems like maybe twice what the FTP cost for an i pad.  or can i get by with a windows 8 laptop with more ram and a substantial hard drive for less.  lots of those out there for less.

Elantric

Quotewhat kind of ipad is what i should get? 

Today - at minimum an iPad Air 32GB ( or larger memory) $359  ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-Air-9-7-034-Retina-Display-32GB-iOS-7-Wi-Fi-Tablet-White-MD789LL-A-/261844955870?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Explore our Tablets & SmartPhones for Music area here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=132.0

Elantric

Read my use of its predecessor -

the Acer Aspire R7 15" Touch / Laptop

here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8917.msg64020#msg64020

I'm currently only using it for Boss Tone Studio and some Windows apps I need ( Vegas, Soundforge, Reaper)

the hidded cost of the FTP is it really needs a fast machine - but Windows users are advised to find a laptop with a USB 2.0 port ( essential for low latency / snap / crack/pop/ free USB audio interface on Windows Laptops. Firewire is rather dead now, and no Expresscard 34 or PCMCIA cards  on todays Windows laptops   

Good luck locating a 2015 Windows Laptop with a USB 2.0 port 

======

http://www.costco.com/Acer-Aspire-R13-Touchscreen-2-in-1-Laptop-%7c-Intel-Core-i7-%7c-1080p.product.100153664.html

Looks OK on paper - though I find 128GB SSD way too small ( my machines now have 768GB or 1TB SSD drives

Processor & Memory:
Intel Core i7-5500U Processor 2.4GHz
8GB LPDDR3 RAM

Drives:
128GB Solid State Drive
No Internal Optical Drive

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 8.1

Graphics & Video:
13.3" Touchscreen Full HD LED Backlit IPS (1920 x 1080) Corning® Gorilla Glass 3 Display
Intel HD Graphics

Communications:
Dual-Band Wireless-AC WLAN (featuring MIMO) + Bluetooth 4.0
Integrated HD webcam (1280 x 720)
2x Digital microphones

Audio:
Optimized Dolby Audio Processing
2x Integrated Stereo speakers

Ports & Slots:
2x USB 3.0 (1x with Power-Off Charging)
1x USB 2.0
1x HDMI (with HDCP support)
1x Combination Headphone / Speaker Jack
1x DC-in Jack for AC adapter

Power Supply:
4-Cell (Up to 10-hours) Battery

Additional Information:   
Dimensions: 13.54"W x 9.07"H x 0.71"D 
Approximate Weight: 3.31lbs

===========

musicamex

i suspecting this FTP experiment is going to get expensive.

i am in awe of all you know and understand.  i hope we eventually meet up at a NAMM show.

all the best amigo, russ