Tripleplay - Parameters affecting tracking between different soft synths

Started by Headless68, October 05, 2014, 05:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless68

Ok I have been looking at this all night and not found a solution - if I play the piano patch from the presets (sampletank2) the tracking for hammer on and pull of is excellent - if I load up a piano in Kontact and match the triple play settings to the sample tank ones I get almost no response to hammer or pull off - the triple play monitor is showing the miDi event but there is nothing triggering in kontact apart from full string picking - are there parameters which I must change inside kontact to allow it to respond ?

Thanks
Phil

shawnb

Probably...  Gotta find anything pertaining to legato...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

QuoteMy triple play is reading some notes out of tune on my guitar. .  . . I have my PRS set up for me with perfection intonation because I'm studying jazz in school.

If your PRS has a fully floating tremolo bridge and you occasionally palm mute or touch the bridge , then its typical for the FTP to "track" 1/2 step sharp when in Chromatic mode.

I had the same problem with my Godin xtSA, (which also has a floating tremolo bridge) so I added a SuperVee Mag-Lok to stabilize the bridge and solve FTP tracking 1/2 step too sharp.
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Vee-ML-2-Mag-Lok-Anti-Deflection-Device/dp/B00IRNOMYM

Belewguitar

Hey Elantric, I don't rest my palm on my bridge at all. I have a light and precise touch on the guitar(not to sound conceited), but still the mini lead patch is out of tune... The software shows the correct note though, with absolutely no movement as if I was using vibrato..

This is really ruining this product for me. Anyone else have this issue?
NO my guitar isn't broken, its just missing its head.

shawnb

On the VST front, make sure you:
  1) match your bits, only try 32-bit VSTs on the 32-bit client, & 64-bit VSTs on the 64-bit client
  2) make sure you have added the path to your downloaded VSTs to FTP's search path
  3) read the error log

On sour notes, no, that is not normal.    The first two things I suggest are: (1) make sure your pitch bend ranges are aligned.   Your FTP's bend range must match your synth's.   (2) try it in Auto or Stepped mode until you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps,
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Belewguitar

So I checked out how the tuner was responding to my playing.... I'm fine. The exact same note is picked up the same on the tuner, but is some how produced differently by the synth. it's only a few patches that do this.... I don't know if it's the unit or the software.

HELP!!!!

Belewguitar

Sorry I forgot to add.... This is mostly, if not all(still checking) happening within Kontakt 5.

supernicd

I don't have a FTP - this is generic advice.  I find that with many synthesizers, some patches are not tuned to a standard mapping.  E.g. pressing the "A" key on a keyboard does not yield 440Hz or a multiple (octave) of an A note, but might play an E or F, or whatever note.

Could that be what you're encountering?

If that's the case you'd have to alter the patch, changing the oscillator(s) coarse or tuning parameters.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Belewguitar

Oh!!! Here's another twist to everything(also validates that my frets are A-okay)

I can hammer on a note with out hitting a note prior and have the correct note produced. However if I hammer on from a previous note I get an incorrect frequency... GAH!!! So frustrating...

The worst part is that I can pick as hard as I want with zero change in pitch... What gives?

Spider

You use standalone Kontakt? or inside FTP app? Did you set proper channels inside Kontakt? Give as some more info?

Spider

Headless68

Running from FTP front end so have the additional triple play parameters - have spent a few more hours going through every parameter and option I can find - still the same
I can't find anything relating to legato but there is under modules / other there is a selection called something like follow velocity curve which says it follows guitar type input but it's a drag and drop panel but I can't find a location (on the right hand panel where the piano is) which will allow me to place it

Playing it without hammer on and pull off the quality of the sounds are outstanding .....sooooo close just need this playability sorted and I'm happy

Belewguitar

Spider

It is factory patch or it is your patch? Did you set proper PB range?

Spider

It is basic library or K5 from Komplete 9? Did you use 6 patches for every channel? Did you set proper PB on every one?

BackDAWman

When not in chromatic mode hammer on's and pull off's are translated as pitch bend signals so if your synth doesn't have the correct pitch bend range you will get bum notes. I think by default the pitch bend range of the FTP is +/- 12. I can't remember I have quite a few guitar to midi controllers....

Sampletank (not sure about version 3) has only one pitch bend setting of +/- 2 so using HO's and PO's will produce flat notes...

It would be worth setting it to chromatic mode and check for bum notes then...

shawnb

Given your challenges with hammerons & pulloffs I'm almost certain you have a pbr problem, as indicated in my note above.

Both the FTP & your synth need to have the same value for Pitch Bend Range, or PBR.   Sometimes hard to find, as different tools use different names.   But when playing a guitar synth, you need to find these settings & make them agree.   

The setting refers to the # of semitones you may slide/bend/whammy/legato.   All of these actions use MIDI WHEEL events (not MIDI notes) to communicate changes in pitch relative to the last note.  Both sender (FTP) and receiver (Kontakt) need to know what interval (in semitones) the maximum WHEEL # value represents.  When they do not match, you will have issues with slide/bend/whammy/legato.

Sometimes (like in the case of Kontakt), there is a plus & a minus value (or an up & down value).   Make sure both values match your setting on the FTP.   Screenshots attached.

BUT WHAT VALUE?    If you use a lot of slide or whammy bar, or if you do hammerons several frets up, you want a high value, like 12 or 24.   If you only do a little bit of note bending, and want a very precise performance match on your synth, you may get away with 2 or 4.   

Warning: if you ever slide/bend/whammy/legato more semitones than your setting, you will have problems.  Thus, I always set everything to 24, and I find it to be precise enough. 

EDIT: Added screenshots for a couple more synths...
EDIT: Added screenshot Sampletank 2.5 PBR - aka "Bender"...

Spider

On picture above FTP is set to 24 semitones, on screen with Kontakt it is set to 12 semitones, so be careful.

Headless68

Factory - I have just picked 'New York Grand with overtones'
The only PB settings I have changed have been in the FTP panel - will check out PB in Kontact

shawnb

I don't use Kontakt regularly, just showing folks where to find the setting above.

Spider

Spider

In FTP for piano use trigger mode, for best result use 6 patches of piano inside Kontakt on CH 1-6, and set PB on +/- 12 for every channel (the same should be inside FTP). If possible show your settings on screen.

Belewguitar

Thank you all for your help and support. I just got back to school, so I will have to check this tonight!

Much Love

Harrison

Headless68