GR-55 - New to GR55 help needed - will pay for help; gig coming up!

Started by tplesko, August 28, 2015, 01:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tplesko

Hi all, I am in a jam - I just got a gr55, have had very little time to learn it, and we were just asked to play a wedding next weekend.  Apparently the other band had an accident and can't make it so I have 8 days to prep.  We are a rock 4 piece with a female vocalist that plays rock versions of pop tunes like Gaga, Pink etc in addition to our rock and hard rock sets. 

My issue is time.  As opposed to not using the gr55 and simply playing my amp to the pop tunes I wanted to see if anyone was interested in helping a guy out with 1-2 hours of training and config via Skype?  I'd be happy to pay for your time via PayPal or Whatever and also to keep it real simple.  The set list is below.  I'd say about 60% of those tunes could use some synth, pad, some horns at times, acoustic guitar, etc.  I play a standard amp with a les Paul.  Ideally I'd set up the expression pedal for volume, configure 6-8 patches that I can simply engage with the vol pedal, and focus on my playing as opposed to tap dancing.  I want to keep it easy until I have time to learn the 55 properly.

Ideally we could meet as early as tomorrow or Sunday via Skype and focus on some clever things I can do with these songs.  Doesn't need to be perfect but if we can add a pop element to our set list it would be a huge success for me and our band as we've been put into this emergency spot.  We can save the day with a great sound. 

Any takers?  Let me know - I am in the U.S. In eastern time zone.  Best way to reach me is at Todd.plesko Skype handle or ping me here, 

I love learning my new toys - and will- I'm just out of time and need some help.  Happy to pay someone, I don't expect it for free. 

Thank you!

Set 1
1. Dreams
2. Give Me One Reason
3. Proud Mary
4. Hard to Handle
5. Lights
6. Hurt's So Good
7. Mary Jane's Last Dance
8. Moma's Broken Heart
9. Sugar
10. Rolling in the Deep
11. Funky Music
12. Domino
13. Hella Good
14. Love Shack
15. Treasure
16. All About The Bass
17. Applause
18. Blister in the Sun
19. Locked Out of Heaven
20. Something to Talk About

Set 2

21. All The Small Things
22. What I Like About You
23. Harder to Breath
24. Flagpole Sitta
25. Good
26. Hit Me With Your Best Shot
27. Girl Crush (Little Big Town)
28. Picture
29. Brown Eyed Girl
30. Beverly Hills
31. Fortunate Son * (Steve to play)
32. Shook Me All Night Long * (Steve to play)
33. Sweet Child
34. The Middle
35. I Love Rock n Roll
36. I'm the Only One
37. Piece of My Heart
38. Rock N Roll
39. What's Up
40. Don't Stop Believin

I thank you so much in advance!

Jim Wintringham

have you checked out you-tube? lots of explanations of how to use the GR-55. Also, the patches here for download (you need the Roland driver, and a USB cable to your computer). The built in patches are also useful...they mainly need to be set at lower volumes.
Roland GR-55
Wechter Pathmaker PM 7354
Brian Moore i91.13 (China)
Zoom G2
Ventris Dual Reverb
Roland kc-300

tplesko

Hi there, I have only been able to spend a limited amount of time on it so far - I just got the GR55 a couple of weeks ago and have been slammed with work.  As I mentioned in my post, time is the issue as I have a gig one week from today and wanted to use it during the show.  I know I will not have many hours to spend on it this week so I am leaning toward not using it at all.

It's not that I don't want to learn it, I will and learn it well, I just don't have time and wanted to really let it shine during this wedding gig.  That's why I was hoping I could pay someone some money to help me get a kickstart - just enough so I can use it during some of the songs for the gig.

Thanks for your response,

-Todd

Jim Williams

You can Skype me at gtrjimmy41315 I would be more than happy to help you out.
Jimmy.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

vablows

I play some of those songs as well in my band.

But in all honesty, if you have a high profile gig I would NOT use the 55 until you are very comfortable with it.
The possibility for mis-triggers and volume jumps are very high when you are just learning how to use it, and assuming you are going through the PA with it (like you should be if you want to use it properly), then it could have the potential to make you guys sound bad.

If you want to ad dit later you always can, but it is not something that you can learn in a few hours even with someone teaching you.

You have to radically change your whole playing style and that just takes time.

You can check my video I just did to hear some of the things I do with a Kemper & GR-55, Hella Good is in there actually.

concordal

QuoteThe possibility for mis-triggers and volume jumps are very high when you are just learning how to use it

+1.       It also takes time just to set up the GK pickup so the strings are balanced.  Not impossible, just not a quick task the first time through.

Having said that though, you are in good hands with Jim Williams on skype.

tplesko

Man you guys are the best!  Jimmy I have Skyped you - let me know what works this week.  As for the comment about using the GR55 for a big gig for the first time - great point.  My intent is to use is sparingly and only to highlite some horns and what-not.  Ideally I'd use the expression pedal as a volume pedal so when I want to use the GR55 I simply push the pedal down and back when I am not using it.  That way I don't have much tap dancing.  I use a 4 channel tube amp with built-in analog effects for most of my tone.  Yes, I will be running the GR55 mono thru the PA. 

For example here is what I am thinking for this set list.  Jimmy, ping me when you can and we can work on a time that works for you.  Thank you SO MUCH.  I am really excited about a crash course in the GR55 and then learning it much more deeply after this gig,

Thanks!

Set 1   GR55
1.   Dreams                      Acoustic
2.   Give Me One Reason     Synth
3.   Proud Mary   
4.   Hard to Handle              Piano and Synth (verse)?
5.   Lights                     Pad
6.   Hurt's So Good   
7.   Mary Jane's Last Dance   Harmonica
8.   Moma's Broken Heart   
9.   Sugar                     Synth and Pad
10.   Rolling in the Deep   Acoustic and Pad
11.   Funky Music            Trombone
12.   Domino                    Synth
13.   Hella Good                   Synth, Octaver?
14.   Love Shack             Trombone
15.   Treasure                    Pad
16.   All About The Bass   
17.   Applause                    Synth
18.   Blister in the Sun     Acoustic
19.   Locked Out of Heaven     Synth
20.   Something to Talk About   Pad

21.   All The Small Things            Pad
22.   What I Like About You    Harmonica
23.   Harder to Breath   
24.   Flagpole Sitta                  Bridge (horn?)
25.   Good                                  Pad
26.   Hit Me With Your Best Shot   
27.   Girl Crush (Little Big Town)   
28.   Picture                           Pad
29.   Brown Eyed Girl                   Acoustic and Steel Drums?
30.   Beverly Hills                  Talk Box??
31.   Fortunate Son * (Steve to play)   
32.   Shook Me All Night Long * (Steve to play)   
33.   Sweet Child   
34.   The Middle                         Octaver
35.   I Love Rock n Roll   
36.   I'm the Only One   Acoustic
37.   Piece of My Heart   
38.   Rock N Roll   
39.   What's Up                    Acoustic
40.   Don't Stop Believin   Piano and Synth

Jim Williams

I am on vacation all week and I am available for some one on one Skype tutorials.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Klaus

This just such a great Forum always people who wants to help, amazing.

Thanks Guys.