GR-55 No signal on G String

Started by Taylorman, August 02, 2015, 10:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

I had a couple GK-2 pickups back during the prior version of the GR and there was a bad connection in the pickup itself. I also had two strings that were wired wrong and the output for the string was on the wrong string, so there can be problems with the GKs. That being said I have 2 GK-3 versions now and they have been perfect.
Never had much problem with cables or jacks, don't recall ever having to clean them.
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

xcession

Thanks to everyone on this thread. I've been having trouble for months with my new GK-3 pickup on my GR-55. I was swapping cables but with no success, and everything else. Cleaned the connections, reverted to factory setting, etc. Then I realized I had a 3rd extra long cable, and tried that, after reading this forum, since I was sure I was doing everything right. And VOILA. It works! I'm going to go out and buy 2 more cables and put the recalcitrant ones to death! Cheers!
terminal amateur noise maker
2 x Godin XTSA & 2 x GR-55
Jaguar Bass GK-3B

MakeNoise Shared System Plus

admin

Get GK 13 cables from Primovasound
https://www.primovasound.com/cables.html

xcession

I'm having the same problem with my GK-3B. Brand new GK-3B but 7 year old GR-55. It works for 20 min and fails. I have 3 cables... all same. Bought 2 new cables. Same. I even coated pin-4 with solder to see if fattening it would help. Same. I just unplug it and plug it back in, but very carefully until it works, and another 20 minutes of voila. I did factory reset the GR-55 first. I don't think it is an opamp over heating as it happens when the machine is just turned on, or if it was turned on all day. Any suggestions appreciated.
Jaguar Bass GK-3B

gumbo

Check and clean the contacts of the multiplugs that connect the pickup to the PCB inside the GK3B, and the (in the GR-55) those that connect the Roland 13-pin jack to the mainboard.

Each of these exercises require a degree of dismantling to gain access...if you don't understand how to do that, ask questions.

Buy a can of DeOxit to do the cleaning.

Do NOT put solder on pins that are designed to plug into something else.

HTH

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

xcession

Quote from: gumbo on April 03, 2023, 07:16:29 PMCheck and clean the contacts of the multiplugs that connect the pickup to the PCB inside the GK3B, and the (in the GR-55) those that connect the Roland 13-pin jack to the mainboard.

Each of these exercises require a degree of dismantling to gain access...if you don't understand how to do that, ask questions.

Buy a can of DeOxit to do the cleaning.

Do NOT put solder on pins that are designed to plug into something else.

Thanks for the advice on pins. I mostly work with eurorack synth modules, and I'm happy to do any stupid thing to make things work, like hardwiring pin connections and jumpers and things. I'll wick off the solder on the pin. Can you direct me to any link's where you've previously dismantled the GK3? Sometimes there are more than just screws, like hidden clasps. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine on opening the GR-55. I have DeOxit. Tried IPA first and then DeOxit.
Jaguar Bass GK-3B

philjynx

Quote from: xcession on April 04, 2023, 07:37:51 AMThanks for the advice on pins. I mostly work with eurorack synth modules, and I'm happy to do any stupid thing to make things work, like hardwiring pin connections and jumpers and things. I'll wick off the solder on the pin. Can you direct me to any link's where you've previously dismantled the GK3? Sometimes there are more than just screws, like hidden clasps. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine on opening the GR-55. I have DeOxit. Tried IPA first and then DeOxit.
When you take the bottom off the GR55, watch out for the cable which connects the USB stick port to the PCB, I always lift the base from the opposite side of the unit just enough to be able to unplug that cable from the PCB.

Elantric

Quote from: xcession on April 04, 2023, 07:37:51 AMCan you direct me to any link's where you've previously dismantled the GK3? Sometimes there are more than just screws, like hidden clasps. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine on opening the GR-55. I have DeOxit. Tried IPA first and then DeOxit.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=11.0

Go to 1 minute

billbax

1. Multimeter with continuity tester. For socket testing, solder a 13-pin plug pin to the end of the meter probe. Wiggle test while the other probe is on the relevant PCB pin.

2. Abrasive 13-pin plug pins for sockets.  One original smooth and the other slighty abrasive. Both these pins will clear any contact tarnish in seconds!

3. Mini Felt pads for 13-pin cable plugs.  Make yourself three of these, one impregnated with metal polish, one to clear metal polish, and the last one to fine polish. Deoxit will NOT clear tarnish, and pin tarnish sets in after 12-18 months - Deoxit is best applied within the first 12 months off a new cable, after that you are fighting a losing battle (tarnish gets a foothold after 12 months).

4. 13-pin socket ground connections can be resurfaced with an abrasive din connector, minus the original pins. Three or four quarter turns will easily resurface any 13-pin ground contact.

5. After the fix fit dust covers - make your own whatever.

DIY 13-pin plug and socket maintenance kit - It's all here in simple baby talk.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26362.0

xcession

Quote from: Elantric on April 04, 2023, 09:36:00 AMhttps://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=11.0

Go to 1 minute

Thanks. I didn't realize it was THAT easy to take apart. It literally fell apart in my hands after removing the 4 screws and the cap on the pot. Thanks.
Jaguar Bass GK-3B

xcession

Quote from: billbax on April 04, 2023, 09:37:02 AM1.- 5. After the fix fit dust covers - make your own whatever.

DIY 13-pin plug and socket maintenance kit - It's all here in simple baby talk.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26362.0

Wow, Bill. What an education. Thanks. I'm doing it all.

That said, in my situation, I was using a brand new GK-3B out of the box directly from Roland, and I had the same problem with 3 old cables and 3 brand new ones. But still, I need to know all this stuff. Thanks heartily.
Jaguar Bass GK-3B

gumbo

Quote from: xcession on April 07, 2023, 05:49:59 AMWow, Bill. What an education. Thanks. I'm doing it all.

That said, in my situation, I was using a brand new GK-3B out of the box directly from Roland, and I had the same problem with 3 old cables and 3 brand new ones. But still, I need to know all this stuff. Thanks heartily.

If all the cables gave you the same result, it's GOT to point to a problem with either the original Roland jacks (no comment on that!) and/or the quality of their connections to the other bits that are supposed to be doing the work....    ...just saying.. ;)

The signals that are going down these tiny connections are pretty minuscule in their own right, and it does NOT take a lot of built-up resistance in a connection point to throw the whole mess completely out of he window...that's why BillBax has gone to his usual extraordinary lengths to point out just how important it is to look after all these connections.

(Personal vested interests acknowledged....)

Peter

gumtown

If using the GK-3B (bass version) you need to correctly setup the pickup pole useage, if set wrong the G string will not register if used for a 4 or 5 string Bass.
For 4 string basses, two of the pickup poles are switched off, usually the low B and high C,
but for 5 string, if the 6th pole (C) is used over the G string and setup for 5 String type 1 (or is it type 2) the pickup pole is switched off either one end or  the other, depending on that GK SET 5 string pickup type setting.
Depending on which way the physical 6 pole pickup was offset under the 5 strings.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Quote from: gumtown on April 08, 2023, 12:16:27 AMIf using the GK-3B (bass version) you need to correctly setup the pickup pole useage, if set wrong the G string will not register if used for a 4 or 5 string Bass.

Dang !  I always forget that little mess-waiting-to-happen...thanks Colin.
...down to one bass these days and it currently doesn't have the GK attached...  ::)

xcession

Quote from: gumbo on April 08, 2023, 12:26:27 AMDang !  I always forget that little mess-waiting-to-happen...thanks Colin.
...down to one bass these days and it currently doesn't have the GK attached...  ::)

Quote from: gumtown on April 08, 2023, 12:16:27 AMIf using the GK-3B (bass version) you need to correctly setup the pickup pole useage, if set wrong the G string will not register if used for a 4 or 5 string Bass.

Thanks for this, both of you. My problem is actually with the low E. I just wasn't paying attention, and because of my tenor guitars, I keep thinking of the G as the lowest.

I swapped out my GK-3B for another GK-3B I have (bought two for a project), and everything's fine. I'm going to see if Roland Canada will give me a replacement for the busted one. I bought it off them directly. Wish me luck.

And of course I'm following all these instructions so that I can KEEP them working. Thanks.
Jaguar Bass GK-3B

gumbo

Quote from: xcession on April 08, 2023, 02:21:10 PMI'm going to see if Roland Canada will give me a replacement for the busted one. I bought it off them directly. Wish me luck.

Will be interested to hear what happens.. ;)