VG-99 - Match EQ

Started by Andre Moreira, February 10, 2011, 03:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andre Moreira

I'm trying to match as much as possible the sound that I ear from the headphones with sound that I get from my amp.

Since I don't know much about eq, I'm using Voxengo CurveEQ  to create a fingertip eq of the sound that I want( VG HP or USB ) with the sound of the amp.

This stuff is all new to me, so Is this the way to do it ?

Brent Flash

What amp are you using?

Brent Flash

In a perfect world the headphones you use and the amp you use would not need any help to sound the same. In other words a good set of headphones would not color (change) the sound put into it and a good full range amplifier would not color the sound either. But we don't live in a perfect world so...you do the best you can with what you got. That is why the VG-99 has output EQs and different amp selections.

If you have the output set to LINE / PHONES that means you should use an amp that does not color the sound. If you like the sound in the headphones you would need to determine what is different from what you hear in the headphones and what you hear from the amp and adjust the EQ to try to compensate for the difference. For example the headphones seem brighter or have more treble. Then you would add some high end on the EQ. Or if you think the amp is too bright you would lower the high frequencies on the EQ.

If you have SMAART (an analyzer program for the computer) or some other frequency analyzer you could run some tests to determine the difference but it would be hard to get a good sample out of the headphones because they are designed for your ears and would not sound the same with a reference microphone stuck in them. Any of this make sense?

Andre Moreira

I have two small amp, Frontman 65-r and Roland KC-150

I was making this match eq experiencie with i think it's one of your  patches, 24th strings ? It's sounds so great on my HP, and I always get frustrated when I tryed to use them in studio. A lot of quality is lost.

Is there any specs about this amps that i need to know about ?

Brent Flash

I would say the Roland KC-150 would come the closest to what you hear in the headphones but I would not expect it to be that close.

I would just trust what you hear in the headphones and go ahead and record your tracks in the studio.

If you have reference monitors in your studio just run the output of the VG into the mixer and listen through your monitors.

If you were not referring to a recording studio and do not have reference monitors then I would try to get a better amp to use than the two you have.

The 24 string acoustic patch? Is that one in the patch area? Could you point me to it? I think I made that one in 2008.

Andre Moreira

Hi Brent,

I found someting that was making the patches( most of them ) sound bad, the Fletcher Munson Effect, lol!

Reducing the Bass and the Treble when playing lound, helped a lot, because they were too loud when I ear them with the HP, but I do have more tweaking to do.

Anyway I decided to try a new amp, and buy the MRS250, going to do sometests this weekend.

What do you thing about this amp MRS250 ?

Regards

Andre Moreira

sorry...not MRS, but yamaha MSR 250.

Elantric

Typically hate the "B" word, but I own one of these "swiss army knife"units with a nice RTA display to assist in tone matching - $180 on ebay
DEQ-2496

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ2496.aspx

many mods are possible to tweak that unit too

http://www.dcx2496.fr/en/tweakanalog2.php

Brent Flash

Quote from: Andre Moreira on February 16, 2011, 10:58:52 AM

What do you thing about this amp MRS250 ?
Sorry I have no experience with the MSR250. I like Yamaha products in general but have never used this model. Maybe someone else here has?

Andre Moreira

How are you connecting your VG-99 with the DEQ, are you using the subout XLR ? or are you using the main out and then converting to XLR in of the DEQ ?

Andre Moreira

One more question...:-) Which one is better the DEQ or the DCX ? they seem very similar...

Elantric

Review each

"The ULTRADRIVE PRO DCX2496
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx
is the ultimate digital loudspeaker management system" - in other words its main target function is to be inserted between a live sound mix board and the power amps of a large PA. Its a bi / tri Amp Electronic X-over, and strictly has Analog Output signal path
see here:

By contrast the
ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ2496.aspx
Ultra-High Precision Digital 24-Bit/96 kHz EQ/RTA Mastering Processor

* Ultra-high resolution processor for all EQ, RTA and dynamic applications, especially for PA and audiophile mastering
    * 4 concurrently selectable EQ modules (31-band graphic EQ, 10-band parametric EQ, Feedback Destroyer plus 3 Dynamic EQs per stereo channel)
    * Flexible compressor/expander function with peak limiter per stereo channel as well as additional stereo imager and stereo delay for delay line applications
    * Unique VPQ (Virtual Paragraphic EQ) option allows parametric control of graphic EQs
    * Ultra-high resolution 61-band real-time FFT analyzer with additional auto EQ function for room and loudspeaker equalization
    * Multi-functional level meters (peak/RMS, VU and SPL meter with dBA/dBC weighting via RTA/Mic input)
    * 64 user memories for complete setups and/or individual module configurations
    * Separate RTA mic/line input with phantom power, professional Wordclock input and MIDI connections for full remote control, preset dumps and system updates
    * Ultra-high resolution 24-bit/96 kHz A/D- and D/A converters (113 dB dynamic range)
    * Open architecture allowing future software updates via MIDI
    * 2 high-performance 32/40-bit floating-point DSPs for ultimate sonic resolution
    * Balanced inputs and servo-balanced outputs with gold-plated XLR connectors, stereo aux output, AES/EBU and S/PDIF inputs and outputs (XLR and optical)

They are apples and oranges IMHO

I can only recommend the DEQ-2496

The DEQ-2496 can also work as a Stereo Limiter / leveling amp, to solve the problem of the GR-55 preset patches being all over the place volume wise at gigs.

(tip - avoid using the factory presets at gigs!)