VG-99 - Brian May Patch Competition

Started by papabuss, December 14, 2010, 08:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A2theT

and heres a comparison of me playing the same riffs through the Brian May patch I created a few years ago.
i like both patches and they both sound a little different.  one may cut through a live mix better than the other so thats the real test for anyone using thes live.
me, i'm just a basement dweller  ;)
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

imdurc

That recording using my patch is excellent A and T! Very nice playing. :D I'm so glad it sounds like it has travelled well as, that was something I remember being a little hit and miss in the ol' VG-8EX days. I'll take a look at your modification of my patch as, I like the idea of eliminating the idle hiss. I guess that's always been a part of Brian's setup, so I just accepted it. It'll be nice to mess with that :) Just hope it still sustains without getting quiet or cut off.

Also, the new patch I made earlier today really does sound very good. Smooth, less harsh, little shimmery, but still gutsy. I guess the only thing missing from it would be the sparkly clean guitar from rolling the volume back. Not sure if it's possible, but I'll try. Even if I fail, I made a decent patch a couple of years ago that nails Brian's clean guitar sound almost perfectly. At least that will be something.  :)

aliensporebomb

It worked this time.  More later....
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

papabuss

Hi everbody (especially Imdurc--great mp3!)

sorry I could't respond to all your posts to the topic I started.
I was in hospital for the last week but I'm getting better now....
gonna test all the patches soon
thx for all your great work
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

papabuss

Hi Imdurc and A to the T
could not wait testing your patches..
they are "hammergreat"
especially the "3 Part Delay sound" makes me healthy again!
THX a LOT!!!!!!!!

imdurc

Papabuss, it's a pleasure  ;) Being a Brian May nut means... more coming soon.  8)

papabuss

Hi Imdurc,

I'm looking forward for more BM patches!
But you've really helped me to get some of Brians "basic settings" !
Once again THX!

papabuss

I found this owner's manual for the BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL PEDAL
http://digitech.com/en-US/products/brian-may-red-special-pedal
The manuals are available in English, German, French and Spanish (at the bottom of the site)
On pages 8 to 11 you have 7 Queen songs with good description for choosing the right pickup and/or phase in/out settings.
I've used them this weekend with the patches fom IMDURC and A to the T..(very good!) But I disabled the two COSM guitar volume settings (Turned them to Zero) and played with my Brian May Red Special. I chose the recommended settings in the manual and turned the volume  of the NORMAL PICKUP (my guitar) to 100 (last page of the Guitar settings). Works wonderful!

ecca

imdurc

Quote from: papabuss on April 09, 2012, 08:37:15 AM
I found this owner's manual for the BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL PEDAL
http://digitech.com/en-US/products/brian-may-red-special-pedal
The manuals are available in English, German, French and Spanish (at the bottom of the site)
On pages 8 to 11 you have 7 Queen songs with good description for choosing the right pickup and/or phase in/out settings.
I've used them this weekend with the patches fom IMDURC and A to the T..(very good!) But I disabled the two COSM guitar volume settings (Turned them to Zero) and played with my Brian May Red Special. I chose the recommended settings in the manual and turned the volume  of the NORMAL PICKUP (my guitar) to 100 (last page of the Guitar settings). Works wonderful!

I own the RS pedal, so am curious as to what you mean! :) Can you demonstrate with a patch download?

Also, I just started finalising my music room, so, once the sound of the room is set, I can revisit the patches I previously mentioned. Had a go today, so it's close :) I'll try to update soon.

papabuss

Hi imdurc
I only used your patch and changed the mentioned settings for the song examples. That means: choice of the right active pickup and Out/of phase settings on my BM guitar ....and activate the NORMAL PICKUP in the VG 99 and disable the COSM guitars......the additional great internal settings of this pedal are of course "another world" but not impossible to realize with the VG 99 ;)

A2theT

I don't know, you could try this..  I tried to copy it from my VG-99 patch.
Yes this response is a GR-55 patch I attempted. Sorry, I know it probably doesnt belong under this forum heading but thought it may be appropriate for the thread.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

papabuss

Hi A to the T
that's a GR 55 file isn' t`it?
Your VG 99 patch for BM patches is also very good! :)

A2theT

yes. I should have been more explicit but it was pertaining to ecca's question.
HEAVY on the METAL

imdurc

I see what you mean now, Papabuss. However, I'm a little confused. If I switch my gk3 to the Brian may guitar pickups, it turns off cosm guitars. So, why did you have to modify the patch to do the same thing?  ???

As to the whole in/out of phase pickup thing, I haven't had a great deal of success on that side of the VG99. I've still got plenty of exploring to do, but initial tests didn't give me anything that sounded similar to my BHM guitar. Anyway, glad we cleared that up. I'll have to remember to check into the whole pickup phase thing as it's something I use on the BHM guitar a lot. Interesting note, when I use the BHM pickup selections for BoRhap (screamy sound), it doesn't sound right. Either modelling has a long way to go, or some clever editing is needed!

Btw, I broke out my ol' Digitech Brian pedal and, damn...I forgot how good some of the amp sounds are. It's especially cool to hear the emulation go as far as recreating the undertone of the AC30 amp (which is on the original recordings btw). some of the pedal stuff is really good. Other parts, not so much. Still, it does make me wish for a bigger evolution of the Cosm stuff. Maybe it'll be in a new VG-variation! I hear the updated GR-55 (at the recent musikmesse) has slightly updated cosm amps. Or maybe that was the Roland GT-100. Hmm...

papabuss

Hi imdurc
THX for your reply. To the beginnng of your response I must say that I forgot a "little detail".
I don't use my BM Guitar with the GK3 (because its on my STRAT) So I go directly into GUITAR IN.
After making the changes (see above) I can then use lots (of course not all) of the QUEEN songs with your posted patch. When you remember that Brian uses the Brigde and Middle Pickup with In Phase in most of his songs you can "do" TIE YOUR MOTHER DOWN and many,many more...For WE WILL ROCK YOU I use the MIDDLE and NECK Pickup out of phase and add some phaser...These settings are described in the above mentioned manual.
BTW Imdurc your PAN DELAY in the posted patch is ideal for BRIGHTON ROCK.
I hope I did not confuse you about the whole topic and  I'm looking forward to more BM patches from you and the others (A to the T)

imdurc

imdurc

Hopefully no-one is getting bored with my Brian May patches because, I think I've got something good in the offing. Stay tuned  ;)

EDIT: taking longer on this as I want to get it right. Sounds promising :)

LPHovercraft

I just found this video - and really enjoyed watching Brian May break down his tone - and the levels of inflection he uses 'naturally' in the guitar-amp connection. I was particularly interested in seeing his use of phase between the pickups to really alter the tone.

Happy New Year everyone! :D
Houston Haynes - LPHovercraft