Recent Posts

Gumtown Editor General Discussion / Re: FC-300FloorBoard editor
Last post by sjamus - March 24, 2024, 03:03:43 PM
Hi Gumtown.
Any further development regarding the editor for the Roland FC-300?
All the best.
Sjamus
General Discussion / Re: Keys controlling GR55
Last post by billbax - March 24, 2024, 02:26:24 PM
Edited DAW sequencer separate strings, and re-amping to GR-55 PCM voices sound accurate. Basic GR-55 guitar modeling and normal-guitar re-amping is straightforward.

The problem with basic GK to GR-55 PCM voices is getting past critical ears, and producer 3-5 day later regrets.
The Boss GK-SERIAL Connection supports 8 Audio Inputs,  8 Audio Outputs, as well as GPIO control signals for volume and switch peripheral ( like GK S1,GK S2)

In 2024, more products will be released which directly support the  GK-SERIAL I/O connection 
Quote from: chrish on March 21, 2024, 06:28:54 PMSince most of the GR series and now the GM track their internal PCM sample snippets sounds well with clean playing and good guitar setup, what is the process to trigger them?

I know that guitar pitch, pitch bend, velocity etc are eventually converted to midi out. And internal sounds ,except the GR55, can be triggered by midi in from another midi trigger device. Does that mean guitar pitch to midi is used to trigger the internal sounds?

I know some midi is transmitted using TRS cable so is the GK5  doing midi conversation at the guitar or just acting as an AD converter? I believe it the latter but just checking.

No one can say for sure what Roland/Boss do inside their units, but guitar to midi has to be assumed the process.
Not sure if there are other conversions at play, I would say so, as the PCM tones within the boxes seem to play a little bit more expressively than just midi to PCM, possibly a continuous velocity tracking parameter is involved.

I don't think there is any midi in the GK-5 or TRS cable, the GK-5 is just a hexa-phonic pickup and a 6 channel A/D converter, sending the digital multiplexed serial audio data down a balanced co-axial cable.
Guitar to midi would most definitely be done inside the GM-800, if it were done in the GK-5, that would make the GK-Serial eco-system useless for non-midi HRM modeling tasks of future devices.
Of course it is all speculation and opinion, but one fact of the GK-5 system is it uses a chip commonly used in automotive audio for streaming digital multi-channel audio (A2B protocol).
Last post by violinja - March 24, 2024, 12:01:01 PM
Quote from: billbax on March 24, 2024, 10:18:25 AMHi violinja,

All separate string tracks were recorded with a modified GK3 equivalent. I recorded around eight separate string takes, and cherry-picked/pasted best phrase performances to primary composition one.

Input signal path:GK-3 13 pin   Hex output > Breakout Cable with separate strings out > DAW interface line/Mic inputs X 6 > Cubase.

Output playback: Cubase strings out > DAW interface line-outputs X 6 > Breakout Cable > GR-55 hands-free re-amping.

Thank you for taking the time to share this. Definitely have some learning to do in my future. The separate strings device looks intimidating  ;D
Last post by billbax - March 24, 2024, 10:18:25 AM
Hi violinja,

All separate string tracks were recorded with a modified GK3 equivalent. I recorded around eight separate string takes, and cherry-picked/pasted best phrase performances to primary composition one.

Input signal path:GK-3 13 pin   Hex output > Breakout Cable with separate strings out > DAW interface line/Mic inputs X 6 > Cubase.

Output playback: Cubase strings out > DAW interface line-outputs X 6 > Breakout Cable > GR-55 hands-free re-amping.

Re-amping separate strings makeover enhancement page.
https://separate-strings.co.uk/editingandprocessing.html

Last post by Elantric - March 24, 2024, 10:14:09 AM
Quote from: violinja on March 24, 2024, 08:46:27 AMVery interesting. Did you record all of these tracks with a GK guitar? What does your signal path look like for the reamping?
https://www.separate-strings.co.uk/index.html
Last post by violinja - March 24, 2024, 08:46:27 AM
Quote from: billbax on March 24, 2024, 08:02:54 AMThanks Elantric for posting the GR-55 re-amping movie. It seems many folk think analog GK separate string signals are MIDI data.

The better GR-55 re-amping (sound module) movie is my PCM piano demo. It was good to get away from my usual Wishbone rock stuff, and include a groovy 6/4 time-signature (attempted Purdy shuffle sort of works), with four or five Fagen-ish GR-55 piano voices. Guitar and PCM string voices are easy to re-amp, but articulate PCM instruments like a piano need a lot of audio sequencer tweaking.

Deep and extensive GR-55 patch searching is only possible with re-amping.

Very interesting. Did you record all of these tracks with a GK guitar? What does your signal path look like for the reamping?
Last post by violinja - March 24, 2024, 08:44:50 AM
Quote from: Chumly on March 23, 2024, 08:54:18 PMGR55 as a MIDI sound module? (Not Possible)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3860.0

Thank you, this link was insightful. I believe my confusion came from reading the manual and my very basic understanding, or lack thereof, of MIDI. Ultimately I bought the GR55 to be controlled by my violin, which it does fairly well. Some tones (many of the keys or pad styles) do not respond well when played with a bowed instrument. I can work around a little by plucking the string and being very precise with triggering only one note.

Thank you all for the quick responses!