Wavemachine Labs - Auria DAW for the iPad

Started by rolandvg99, July 17, 2012, 11:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandvg99

The new multitrack DAW called Auria has reached prime time. Made by WaveMachine Labs, the team behind Drumagog. Downloaded it yesterday and tried it for a couple of hours. This app rocks! A must buy for the traveling recording musician.

www.auriaapp.com
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

cell7

one question before i drop a 50 on this - can you monitor the signal real-time through the plugins? If so how low is the latency? Im keen...

rolandvg99

I'm splashing out for the THM tomorrow. Will check with both the VG and my Presonus VSL and report back ASAP. Just used it for some mastering and easy mixing yet and those features makes up for the price tag.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

mbenigni

Wow - iOS VST support?  Does this mean I can run NI Guitar Rig on an iPad??  Or am I dreaming?

Elantric

QuoteWow - iOS VST support

You are dreaming - but AU support is here

Basically WaveMachine Labs have worked with some third party  VSTi suppliers to create Auria compatible plugins - which cost $$ - you could easily spend $165 if you order all the Auria optional bells and whistles with these plugins.
(more here:)
http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria-tour

I was doing the Auria beta and I'm sure the final version is OK
For those interested in Auria on iPad -Read this excellent article on using the Presonus 1818VSL with iPAD and Auria
http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/review-2/review-presonus-audiobox-1818-vsl-an-interface-for-ipad-and-mac-musicians
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6619.0

Frankly I get a lot more mileage from Meteor Multitrack ($19.95) - that works very well for me on my iPad.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meteor-multitrack-recorder/id417726727?mt=8&ls=1

http://www.4pockets.com/product_info_apple.php?p=8&nb=4

mbenigni

Thanks.  Thought that sounded too good to be true.   ;D

cell7

Im interested to see how well the THM guitar plug works. This could be the solution i was looking for to add the completely nasty fuzz/crushed tones to the vg99 signal paths without carrying my laptop around...  perhaps controlling it with the softstep. Hmmm :)

mbenigni

Quote from: mbenigni on July 18, 2012, 10:55:31 AM
Thanks.  Thought that sounded too good to be true.   ;D

It finally dawned on me last night that I was confusing iOS with MacOS, and free associating from Mac OS VST to MacAU plugins.   ::)

cell7

Quote from:  Elantric
but if you want a low latency mobile IOS Guitar rig app, try JamUp Pro and save some $$

In your opinion this is the best one? i have a bunch of the others like amplitude etc, was never overly impressed. If you say this is your favourite then i will jump on it.

myksara

Now since we are talking of apps on the ipad here, I would realy be very interested to know which one is the best that can be used live,if anyone has dared to used the iPad as a multifx live at compact venues..I have tried a lot of those including amplitube,peavy,fender ones on ipad but none impressed me except the amplitube slash multiFx..I could get a few usable sounds from it..

My goal is to go with just my guitar and ipad to the compact venues and go into my roland Cube 80XL ( :-*) and PA..

Any thoughts or any videos of such a rig?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Elantric

Auria CPU Saving Tips for iPad 2 with Audiobus

For those interested in Auria on iPad -Read this excellent article on using the Presonus 1818VSL with iPAD and Auria
http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/review-2/review-presonus-audiobox-1818-vsl-an-interface-for-ipad-and-mac-musicians

The latest version of Auria now have an output matrix, so all eighteen outputs of the 1818 can be accessed. This is not the case with other audio apps such as GarageBand or the Music app, whose stereo output does not get mirrored across all outputs, and can therefore only be monitored via outputs 1 and 2, and not the headphone jack. Note that at the time of writing it is a requirement that the 1818 is plugged into a powered USB hub, which is then plugged into the iPad via the Camera Connection Kit.

You should also be aware that the features offered by the VSL software are of course not available when working with an iPad. On the plus side, you can also use your iPad to run the free Presonus SL Remote app, with which you can remote control VSL software running on your Mac, over Wi-Fi.

admin

Update - Dec 2013.

I feel Auria is the king of IOS DAW apps

Derek Buddemeyer is a recent member here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10015.msg71967#msg71967

Suggest subscribe to Derek Buddemeyer's YouTube Channel for lots of good advice-
http://www.youtube.com/user/buddemeyer72?feature=watch
Lots of good IOS Music App tips and Tricks he has shared:
Custom IR Cab Files In Auria

Quotebut if you want a low latency mobile IOS Guitar rig app, try JamUp Pro and save some $$

In your opinion this is the best one? i have a bunch of the others like amplitude etc, was never overly impressed. If you say this is your favourite then i will jump on it.

Read review of Positive Grid's Bias+ Jamup ProXT here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9903.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8378.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9882.0

Elantric

Elantric

supernicd

Nice!  I have yet to really push the iPad Air to the limit in terms of CPU and memory usage.  This is a pretty impressive demo of how far it can go.  Looks like I can now be more 'sloppy' in terms of watching the CPU usage like a hawk.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

mbenigni

Hi guys. I'm trying to decide between Auria and Cubasis right now, and if I understand correctly, they each have significant blindspots. Auria is audio-only i.e. no MIDI recording; Cubasis has no track automation, e.g volume/ pan.  Are these two assumptions correct?

I' m actually leaning toward Cubasis right now, despite Auria being more full-featured, higher fidelity, and getting rave reviews from so many professionals, because MIDI recording and editing is pretty important to me, and because I understand cubasis to have a faster more intuitive UI for editing on the iPad. Can anyone comment on my assumptions and help get me off the fence?  Many thanks!

supernicd

I have them both.  As of this moment your assumptions are correct, and those are probably the biggest differentiators.  I'm not sure if I can knock you off the fence because I like them both and really struggle with which one to use when I start a new project.  Here are a few other thoughts that may help or may make your decision even harder:

Cubasis comes bundled with a bunch of decent sounding instruments to use inside of it.  That includes a bunch of sample-based instruments for things like pianos, drums, saxophone, etc.  Probably not as big a library as the fully loaded SampleTank, but still a lot of instruments to choose from.  It also has a built in subtractive synth called Micrologue - very Moog-esque, and fully programmable.

Auria has a lot of very high quality plug ins (for in-app purchase) available.  In particular, the FabFilter plugins are just amazing.  There is a small fortune that can be spent here.  Auria has started on MIDI and right now it supports MIDI clock and sync as well as Mackie control.  This is useable over virtual MIDI so that you can have the play button in another app start Auria or vice versa.  They are supposed to be working on a full MIDI implementation from what I understand (will be IAP).  Both are inter app audio hosts.

My personal opinion is that Cubasis's inter-app audio and Audiobus implementations are slightly slicker than Auria's.  I won't say that Cubasis's UI is easier to understand but it is more modern looking and does seem very much like it was designed from the ground up for iPad.  Auria has a bit more of a traditional desktop DAW/console feel - you stlil have to navigate drop down menus for some things.  They did add a toolbar a while back that improves this greatly.  If you've used a desktop based DAW, you will feel at home in Auria.

So far Cubasis has no IAPs.  Everything Steinberg has added has been included for free in a release.  If you bought everything available in the Auria store (plug-ins, loops, convolution IRs, etc.), you'd be into it for several hundred dollars - maybe more.  I also understand that the most recent SDK for Steinberg's VST architecture includes the ability to compile for iOS and inter-app audio, so we might see the VST market explode for Cubasis in the not too distant future.

So I would say that Auria has a lot more tools available to get you the most professional results.  However, if you want to spend just $50 then Cubasis probably offers a lot more out of the gate.  And if a fully integrated, full MIDI implementation is at the top of your list, Cubasis is the only choice right now.  But both seem to be being actively developed so who knows what the future holds...

VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

Thanks a million, SuperNiCd!  This is extremely helpful. It largely reinforces what I already understood about these products, but I kind of needed to hear the obvious from someone else's perspective, as it seems like there's so much less buzz for Cubasis compared with auria right now.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on cubasis. There's a temptation to buy auria for the simple sake of buying "the best", but realistically MIDI is important to me, for building and editing basic scratch tracks. And I'm pretty obsessive about intuitive UI design - it's the very reason I'm looking for an iOS DAW in the first place.

Combine this with the fact that Auria is so much more expensive all in, and the fact that I'm likely to fly my projects to another computer for final mx anyway, and it just makes more sense.

I only wish cubasis had track automation and a broader variety export formats. Soon, hopefully.

Thanks again!!!

supernicd

Based on what you say you're looking for I think you'll be very happy with Cubasis.  This forum in particular seems to buzz more about Auria, but on the whole I think Cubasis has a pretty large fan base too.  In my opinion neither has emerged as a clear winner of the best iPad DAW award.  ;)  They both have strengths and weaknesses, and while very capable, neither is as robust as [ProTools, Studio One, Reaper, fill in the blank other mature desktop DAW].
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

I'm getting familiar with Cubasis now and I think you're right. It's important to me to have an app that can be realistically used on small touchscreen, with a guitar on my shoulder, that won't induce fatigue or frustration.  Garage Band is a little too chunky/ MyFirstDAW, but Auria might be so much like a full blown desktop DAW that I'd just get lost in it, and lose sight of my guitar and musical aims (as has happened with so many desktop applications over the years...)

Anyway, excited, optimistic... Thanks again!

Elantric

Auria 1.141 Released

Version 1.141 of Auria and Auria LE has been released through the iOS App Store. This update addresses some issues created by the recent 7.1 iOS update, as well as some other bug fixes plus a new FabFilter effect IAP, their Multi-Band Compressor plug-in Pro-MB.

Fixed in 1.141:
iOS7.1 bug related to 96K projects
Low volume issue – added option for speaker/mic processing in settings
Auto-input monitor – Auria now mixes the input with the playback audio automatically
Change to Audiobus when using Auria in the input slot (made Master the default port)
New versions of WOW and Turnado fixing various bugs
New versions of all FabFilter plugins, which fix the spectrum analyzer issue
New versions of all the FXpansion plugins, fixing various bugs
Issue with Auria incorrectly reporting the transport state and positions to IAA plugins

Added in 1.141:

also new plug in for Auria  Fab Filter Pro MB (MultiBand )

Elantric

http://www.musicappblog.com/auria-update-1-142/

If you are looking for the most powerful audio-only iOS DAW app currently available, then you don't really need to look much further than WaveMachineLabs Auria. I produced an in-depth review of the app when it was originally released back in July 2012 and, while the app has received a number of updates since then bringing new features such as Audiobus and IAA support or making new IAP plug-ins available, much of what's described in that review still stands; if you don't know the app, then give it a read.
Since day one, Auria has been a clear demonstration that an iPad can be a serious audio multitrack recording platform. Pair it with a quality audio interface and a few microphones and it will not be the iPad or iOS that is the real limitation to what you can achieve; that is more likely to be down to you, your musicians and the musical ideas.
However, having captured your recording, WaveMachine Labs are obviously keen for you to be able to craft it in as efficient a way as possible. The latest update – which brings Auria to v.1.142 – adds one significant new feature but, from an editing/arranging workflow perspective, it is a very useful one; ripple editing. This feature – which you can toggle on/off via the Edit menu – means that when you edit a track – perhaps by selecting an audio region and moving it along the timeline – all other elements on the track will also be moved along with it. Very usefully, this includes any automation data associated with the track.
If you are prone to the occasional 'oh, wouldn't it be nice to have an extra repeat of the chorus there' sort of moment, ripple editing is a big deal and makes it much easier to make the space required to slot in new content to an existing arrangement.

In addition to this new feature, it also looks like a few bug fixes have been applied. A number of these address issues associated with IAA-based apps and, again, from a workflow perspective, these will be most welcome.
For multitrack recording, Auria – and the 'lite' version Auria LE – are still top of the iOS tree. It is packed with features and, while you can't do MIDI recording, as an audio-only platform, Auria is hugely impressive. Like Audiobus (and now Audiobus 2), Auria was something of a landmark release when it first appeared. The additions since then have improved it even further. Here's hoping WaveMachine Labs can keep it moving forwards.

Elantric

Save 50% on Auria!
Auria:  $49.99    $24.99
Auria LE:  $24.99    $11.99
Auria LE to Full Upgrade:  $24.99  $11.99
http://www.auriaapp.com/

Save 50% on Drumagog!
Drumagog 5 Platinum:  $379    $189
Drumagog 5 Pro:  $289    $145
Drumagog 5 Basic:  $89    $45
http://www.drumagog.com/

All prices in US Dollars. Local currencies and exchange rates may apply.
Sale is for new copies of the Drumagog plug-in only; sample libraries and upgrades are normally priced.
Sale includes Auria, Auria LE, and the upgrade from Auria LE to full Auria; plug-ins and loops are normally priced.

Elantric

WaveMachine Labs

All of PSPaudioware's plug-ins for Auria are currently on sale for 50% off, through Tuesday December 9th via Auria's in-app store.

These plug-ins include:

PSP Echo is a high quality echo processor. PSP Echo's powerful and unusual features combined with its smooth operation makes it ideal for all kinds of creative uses from simple slap back and sustain effects through ping-pong delays and spacious echoes. Use the delay sliders to add special tape echo effects for even more unique effects. The tape wow control and built in ducker further extend the creative potential of PSP Echo. Internally, the Echo is like a combination of four mono tape delays—two for the initial ping-pong pre-delay and two for the main stereo echo. PSP Echo includes a set of extremely useful factory presets that cover a wide range of this plug-in's settings.

PSP MicroWarmer is the "little brother" of PSP's flagship PSP VintageWarmer plug-in. It is a high-quality digital simulation of an analog-style single band limiter/tape emulator. This plug-in combines rich, warm analog-style processing with a straightforward user interface, and comes with a comprehensive library of presets. Just like its big brother, PSP MicroWarmer delivers world-class sound quality and can be used to limit the level or to add a unique density and character to a track.  Careful attention has been paid to PSP MicroWarmer's overload characteristics with the processor being capable of generating saturation effects typical of analog tape recorders. PSP MicroWarmer also incorporates professional VU metering. All of this makes PSP MicroWarmer an essential tool for mixing engineers.

PSP oldTimer is a vintage-style compressor designed for track and program compression and limiting. Our goal in developing this plug-in is to provide a simple compressor that offers an exceptionally musical sound while requiring a minimum of tweaking. This plug-in is not based on any specific hardware, rather it is inspired by vintage circuits and is designed to emulate some favorite characteristics of such compressors.

PSP PianoVerb2 is a creative resonant reverb plugin. It creates its unique sound with twelve resonant filters that mimic the behavior of piano strings. The ability to transpose, tune and detune the set of strings allow you to set up the PSP PianoVerb2 to deliver a wide range of reverberations ranging from traditional wide spread reverb to more unusual resonances. With the addition of optional modulation, A-B settings of time and damping and decay freezing this little plug-in delivers amazing options for creative use.

PSP SpringVerb2 is an emulation of a hardware spring reverberator. It recreates several sound features typical for a spring reverb like a convincing boing on transients or repeatable yet resonating character with a musical and adjustable presence. A selection of configurations from two to four springs total is provided and ability to set a stereo spread to suit various mix set ups - from a usual guitar reverb to an interesting option as a send reverb in the mix.