Fender Stratocaster and GK3, difference in string heights

Started by KuRi, September 19, 2014, 05:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KuRi

Hi!

I was using my Fender American Stratocaster with 10-46 string gauge and everything was running smooth with my gk3. I just put the gk3 on the pickguard with no spacers added and it fit perfectly.

Now I have switched to 9-42 and after setting everything up (truss rod, bridge height, saddles, ...) the gk3 is way more separated from the strings on the bass side, so I had to add some spacers to make it work again.

I know this is more a fender set up question that a gk3 question, but... is this normal? This means that the distance from strings to pickguard has changed, and it is greater on the bass side, but I have checked the distance from the strings to the frets and it is ok, more or less the same as before. I am wondering if this means that with the new string gauge the neck is twisted or not leveled... is the only explanation I can think of.

Thanks for any comments on this issue.
Regards!

Elantric

Search on "Shim Strat Neck", as most Strats will require a neck shim to adjust action for GK-3

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/tech-talk/274273-cant-intonate-guitar-2.html

KuRi

Thanks for the answer Elantric, but do you know why when using 10-46 string gauge the problem was not present?

Elantric

lespauled

Without seeing your guitar, I can't help with the diagnosis.  But, if you are planning to shim the neck, do a full shim, not a partial.  Some people put a matchbook, others a pick, but I recommend taking a couple of extra minutes and doing a full shim.  It's easy and is overall better for your guitar.

Get some veneer that matches the wood of your neck. 

Place the heel of the neck on the veneer and trace the heel with the pencil. 

Cut the veneer to size and place it in the body pocket.  If it doesn't fit, simply sand down the sides (of the veneer, not the body) until it fits.

Place and nail of some instrument (even a allen key will work) to make a mark on the veneer for each screw hole. 

Drill out the marks on the veneer for the screws (so the veneer doesn't crack when you put the screws in).

Now you shape the veneer.  Put a pencil mark on half of the veneer.

Sand that part of the veneer until the mark disappears.

Put the veneer in the body and install your neck on top of it.

Believe me, it took longer the read or write this, than to actually do it.

KuRi

Thanks for your post, lespauled, but I think I am not skilled enough to do the shimming :(

lespauled

Believe me, it's very easy. If you are skilled enough to take the neck off and on, you have 95% of it.

Like I mentioned in my post, it's harder to read than actually do.

musicman65

You are skilled enough. Just don't over tighten the neck screws on reinstallation. If you can read, you have more skills than needed.

CodeSmart

This is what I did. I just used white masking tape to make a "perfekt slope". At the thickest section perhaps 3 layers, and then two layers and then one layer and finally no layer at all. The four heights carries the force evenly creating a new angle and the tape by nature is elastic witch is good. Very easy. The only fault I did was to think I needed MANY layers, but you don't. I think I had to take the neck off three times removing tape layers before I was satisfied. You can do it in one or two hours. No tools and it's fully reversible.

Good luck!
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!