VG-8 - Need help with VG8

Started by 727lawrence, December 04, 2010, 04:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

727lawrence

Well, I might be an idiot, but I wasn't using most of the VG99 features, so I picked up a VG8 and sold the VG99. Yeah, I got a great price on it, but now I'm finding it very difficult to locate a download for the librarian and editor. I'm also wondering about a driver to communicate with it. Hell, I'm not even sure what revision it's at! Anyone got a clue  ???

Jim Williams

There are some good yahoo groups dedicated to the VG8 and VG-88. I'm not sure what you will find for a driver out there but I think whatever software you find it will communicate via midi cable. The down side to the older VG pedal boards is no usb audio or midi so you will have to have a ASIO interface for your DAW and a separate midi cable for any midi messages. Remember, You also don't have any guitar to midi either (if you are into that stuff). Did you get rid of a VG-99 if so I am sorry but it has alot of features that the other VG pedals could never touch, You may not need them all the time but never the less there they are when you need them. Again, I am sorry for your loss..... Maybee you can undo this tragic mistake and maybe wind up with both units. There are times when I miss my old GT-8 for gigging with when I do stuff that is just guitar sounds.... The good old days much simpler to plug in and play.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

stratosonic

Shame the old vg8.com website has expired, that had lots of useful info? Roland has some stuff on their legacy pages http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=442 . I've had my VG8ex for ages, but I never used a PC to edit the thing, many an hour was spent looking at it's tiny screen, editing the sounds. There are some cool sounds on the VG8, particularly the synth type fx, but I rarely use it since I got the VG-99, its light years ahead in terms of features and sound quality. And it has a nice big display screen :)

Guitarbot

I will look on my older external hard drives.  I have tons of patches, editor, videos from vg-8.com, audio samples, etc.  You can email me at guitarbot@yahoo.com

727lawrence

Thanks to all who replied. We'll see how this experiment goes ...

727lawrence

Ok, thanks to Guitarbot I have the librarian up and running, but there are problems when trying to transfer patches between it and the VG8. When trying to dump the patches to the librarian it hangs at 10944 bytes read. If I push the bulk send button again on the VG it gets as far as finishing the first patch and then the librarian gives a memory error. Anyone have a clue? The MIDI connection is using a Presonus Firebox as the middleman between the two. Thanks for any help!

Guitarbot

ON VG-8:
Press system,press midi,set channel (mine is 2) and device id to 17

CABLES:
USB on computer to Tascam US 122 (very old by today's standards),

On Midi Interface:
midi out connector on midi interface to the VG-8 midi in connector
midi in connector on the midi interface to the vg-8 midi out connector

Double click the V-LIBRARY icon in the folder that I sent you
It will list all midi inputs & outputs so you choose the ones you are using (Tascam US 122 for in & out in my case)

Click options, click preferences, click on vg-8 tab and set VG-8 device id to 17 and midi channel to match the vg-8 (2 for me)
Click file, click open, click the first file listed (Acoustune) which you may have to brouse to but it is in the same folder as V Library so you probably will not have to brouse

The program will list all of the presets of the Acoustune file.  Right click one (the first one is TAYLOR) and click audition
It sends it to the VG-8 and you can play or edit it via the vg-8.

Kenmac

Quote from: Guitarbot on December 18, 2010, 03:37:30 AM
ON VG-8:
Press system,press midi,set channel (mine is 2) and device id to 17

CABLES:
USB on computer to Tascam US 122 (very old by today's standards),

On Midi Interface:
midi out connector on midi interface to the VG-8 midi in connector
midi in connector on the midi interface to the vg-8 midi out connector

Double click the V-LIBRARY icon in the folder that I sent you
It will list all midi inputs & outputs so you choose the ones you are using (Tascam US 122 for in & out in my case)

Click options, click preferences, click on vg-8 tab and set VG-8 device id to 17 and midi channel to match the vg-8 (2 for me)
Click file, click open, click the first file listed (Acoustune) which you may have to brouse to but it is in the same folder as V Library so you probably will not have to brouse

The program will list all of the presets of the Acoustune file.  Right click one (the first one is TAYLOR) and click audition
It sends it to the VG-8 and you can play or edit it via the vg-8.

Yeah, looking back I shouldn't have used my VG-8 as a trade-in for the VG-99. At the time I didn't know they didn't have the "Chet" sim in there as well as some of the HRM models. BTW the Acoustune patch you're referring to was made by yours truly.  :)  Good luck and have fun with your VG-8 727lawrence.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

727lawrence

Thanks Kenmac. I seem to be able to audition a single patch, but the patch name doesn't appear on the VG-8. Is that normal? The bulk load still won't work. I'm thinking it's because I'm running under Windows Vista and the program is pretty old. Memory issues. I have a functioning laptop that still has XP on it, so maybe I'll try hooking that up for a grin. Thanks again to Guitarbot for his help.

Guitarbot

I use Vista on a lap top with no problems.

727lawrence

OK, so if the librarian works under Vista then it's either the VG-8 or the MIDI interface. I'll see if I can pick up a Tascam US-122 cheap on eBay. Thanks!

727lawrence

Just hooked up a Tascam 122L, installed the drivers, configured the librarian and ....

still doesn't work with the VG8. I can't even audition a single patch now, and the bulk dump from the VG8 lights up the MIDI IN light on the 122L, but it never seems to make it to the Librarian. Anyone live in the Tampa area with a VG8 that works right?  ???

Guitarbot

If you get the free program midiox, you can see exactly what is being sent & I will compare it to mine for you.

727lawrence

Midiox shows nothing being transferred. Anyone have an idea how I can narrow down which piece is the problem here? At least when I'm connected via the Presonus Firebox interface I can get as far as the first patch in a dump from VG to computer before I get a memory error.