WoW! Bobby Parker - who knew?!

Started by Smash, December 17, 2013, 03:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

I "discovered" Bobby Parker last night courtesy of Radio 2. Holy wow! That guy was ground zero for a lot of licks, riffs and styles of later players. Even John Lennon nicked his "Watch Your Step" riff for some band called the Beatles or whatever! Stevie Ray looks to be indebted too.

I'm not really a blues man by any stretch but what a tone and style the man had.

Elantric

QuoteEven John Lennon nicked his "Watch Your Step" riff for some band called the Beatles or whatever! Stevie Ray looks to be indebted too.

Might also say the the "Watch your step lick" besides being the basis for " i feel fine"  is also very close to

Allman Bros "One way Out"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Way_Out_(song)

Piter

And just to add to the list here is Deep Purple with their "Rat bat blue":

Elantric

mchad

Quote from: Piter on December 18, 2013, 04:02:22 PM
And just to add to the list here is Deep Purple with their "Rat bat blue":

Mr B was a huge influence on me when I started playing. I love this riff and the way the whole band kicks in to grab a higher gear. Love it.

Ed Driscoll

"Watch Your Step" was also the inspiration for the riff on "Moby Dick," the drum solo by some unknown band called the New Yardbirds, or something like that.  ;)

I believe Jimmy Page tried to sign Bobby Parker for Swan Song Records during its early days, but one way or another, it never happened.