GR-55 - How to set the GR-55 to a particular alternate tuning

Started by pv5150man, April 27, 2011, 12:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pv5150man

Ok.....So Ive figured out where to go to set the alternate tunings but Im at a loss for a starting point.  I saw a real nice vid on Youtube on the Rain Song.  The guy set his tuning to DGCGCD and then added some strings.  My problem is  Im not sure how to do what he did.  did he start with a certain patch and just tweak it? or did he create a new one?  One guy even posted a .mid file on the forum for the rain song  but Ive found the GR-55 doesnt recognize them and I havent found a way to convert them.  Any suggestions?

Elantric

Be sure you are seeking GR-55 patches.

The patches here in *.Mid file extension are SMF type for other Roland gear (VB-99/VG-99)

But for research, you could download the free VG-99 Editor from Roland, and load those SMF files to see how they were built.

Wayne Joness's  Zep "Rain Song" patch for VG-99 is here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3774.msg25489#msg25489

There is no VG-99 to GR-55 user patch file converter.

drjoness2001

Here are the tunings I used, high to low: D (-2) C (+1) G (0) C (-2) G (-2) D (-2)

The Acoustic is Steel, TRP-0, (Martin 00-28), Body 92, Tone +15

In the VG-99, I'm using Poly Compression, that is, compression applied equally to each string. You can try regular compression for a similar effect. Plus a little reverb.

The Electric is a Les Paul, both pickups on, full tone. The guitar goes through a JC Clean/Jazz Combo, all default settings (50 for all the controls)

As noted, you can download the VG-99 editor, and even without a VG-99, open VG-99 patches with the librarian to see the settings used.

Wayne

turenko

hello i have tried to change some patches that already have the ctrl pedal to control the alternate tuning  on and off, but somehow on the 5 and 6th strings there is a mix up sound with two different tuning at the same time... someone have succeeded to create alternate tuning without this problem? i was trying to create one that puts the capo on the 2nd fret... or on other frets and i am using as base sound the martin 000 patch.
Brian Moore iGuitar 9.13
KRAMER Richie Sambora 1989 with gk-3
Squier Japan 1989 with Gk-2
Takamine EF 291M(E) with Gk-3

Vin

Hello, just wondering whether you manage to solve the issue. I am experiencing the same .... In my case the problem exists also for the bass model: if I select the bass model I obtain both the bass note and a slightly detuned guitar note.

turenko

I am having the same problem of having two sounds at the same time on the 5th and 6th strings.. does anyone know how to solve this issue?

thanks!
Brian Moore iGuitar 9.13

Elantric

Jeremy Hall

I was convinced I had something like this problem too. I could have sworn that both normal and detuned sounds were coming out of the speakers at the same time despite having deselected normal PU on the GR-55.   

However, since I use a fairly low volume for audio monitoring I suspected that my ears were hearing the normal tuned guitar acoustically/directly. I even tried monitoring through headphones but the acoustic sound of the guitar was still been "bleeding" through the headphones.

The simple proof was to record my rendition of Rain Song and then play it back. Sure enough the recorded version contains only the detuned notes and sounded fine. It is REALLY off-putting though trying to play the song when you can also hear the normal tuned guitar in the background. I haven't really found a good solution to this yet other than to turn up the monitoring volume!

turenko

Hey Jezebabe, you were right... i was hearing the sound of my guitar together with the GR... when i put the sound louder i didn´t hear anymore the double sound! thanks my friend!

do you know how to set a particular tunning on the GR-? i want to create a "cavaco" (samba) sound with the tunning D G B D but couldn´t find were to change the notes of each string...

thanks a lot!
Brian Moore iGuitar 9.13

markiemoose

Thanks for the info on alt tuning and the double sound. Saved me a lot of time. I was wearing headphones, but the acoustic sound of the guitar still came through. Was frustrated until I read your post.

Smart_Object

I realize this thread is a bit old, but it is the only one on the forum I've found that deals with the problem of the double tone problem I'm having with some (not all) alternate tunings on my GR-55.  The open E,A &G tunings are fine, however open D, D Modal, and a custom setting all have the double tone dissonance on my first 3 strings, not 5th & 6th.  Like some of the other posters have reported, I can hear it in my headphones right out of the GR-55.  But when I record a track, it sounds perfectly fine.  Obviously, this is no solution for live performance.   I've made adjustments of practically every parameter in the "Master" and COSM screens (using FloorBoard), and nothing I've done has helped.  My question is has anyone found a work-around for real-time performing?  And when does this become a "bug" for further investigation by Roland?  Thanks

Brent Flash

Quote from: Smart_Object on February 08, 2012, 05:53:52 PM
I realize this thread is a bit old, but it is the only one on the forum I've found that deals with the problem of the double tone problem I'm having with some (not all) alternate tunings on my GR-55.  The open E,A &G tunings are fine, however open D, D Modal, and a custom setting all have the double tone dissonance on my first 3 strings, not 5th & 6th.  Like some of the other posters have reported, I can hear it in my headphones right out of the GR-55.  But when I record a track, it sounds perfectly fine.  Obviously, this is no solution for live performance.   I've made adjustments of practically every parameter in the "Master" and COSM screens (using FloorBoard), and nothing I've done has helped.  My question is has anyone found a work-around for real-time performing?  And when does this become a "bug" for further investigation by Roland?  Thanks
Welcome to the group Smart_Object!  :)

I know it sounds crazy but if your recordings are coming out good then you are hearing your guitar's acoustic sound with the transposed sound. Turn the volume up and it will go away.

sevn_music

I can hear bleeds coming out of the amp no matter how loud I turn it up

sevn_music

I did have this working too initially, then allof a sudden the bleeding of notes was there, makes me think I changed something to cause this.

Elantric

Wear headphones - its not a fault with the GR-55, unless you have "Normal pickups" enabled. Turn them off.

sevn_music

ok, I'm using a Godin XTSA with the GR-55 and just discovered if I have the switch in the middle position (mix) I get bleed. If I keep the switch down (synth only) the alternate tunings work perfectly, no bleeding of other notes. Awesome! Maybe this is an issue for others?

sevn_music

Thanks, turning off the normal pickup also fixed the issue so it doesn't matter which switch I choose   :D