Started by Ringleader, April 22, 2013, 07:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringleader

Share your rig! Here's what I've put together for a solo acoustic rig:

Gear
1 - TC Helicon MP-75
2 - Talent iClaw iPad mount
3 - Behringer Eurolive B205
4 - Three port USB hub (FTP, Zoom G3, EMU xMIDI 1x1)
5 - Ultimate stand Tour-T-Short-T
6 - TC Helicon Voicelive Play GTX
7 - Pedaltrain Mini
8 - Zoom G3
9 - M-Audio Expression (Zoom G3)
10 - Behringer FCB1010

Audio Paths
Mic > TC VLP GTX (mic in/main XLR out) > B205 (line in 1)
Guitar > GTX (inst in/thru) > G3 (in/USB out) > USB hub > CCK/iPad > G3 XLR out > B205 (line in 2)
FTP Synth > USB hub > CCK/iPad > G3 XLR out > B205 (line in 2)

The B205 is used as a mixer/monitor and the thru out on the back goes to the main speaker. Previously using a QSC K12 (just sold) but awaiting an Atomic CLR powered wedge (which will do double duty as a mains speaker for my acoustic rig and a stage monitor for my direct electric rig which is a whole 'nother ball of wax and not shown).

MIDI Paths
Zoom G3 MIDI over USB for preset changes with the FCB1010
FTP MIDI notes to various apps
Behringer FCB1010 (midi out) > EMU (midi in)
TC VLP GTX (midi in) > EMU (midi out)
The MIDI Bridge app ties it all together in the iPad.

Pros
- Reliable - the iPad portion of the rig is just for enhancement (looping, virtual instruments) but the core signal processing is handled by the dedicated processors (GTX, G3). So if the iPad were to get flaky, I still have a normal rig as a backup.
- Modular - Pedaltrain mini can be used by itself (direct), with an amp rig (distressed/customized Peavey Classic 30 combo shown), or full blown as shown in pic.
- Versatile - This is my first real synth rig. It's a blast to be able to bust out virtual instruments and even loop and layer orchestrations. I'm still getting accustomed to what I can realistically do but so far it has been a lot of fun.

Cons
- Unable to charge the iPad while using the rig which usually means I have to have the screen backlighting really low to preserve battery life. If anyone knows how to charge the iPad while it is in USB host mode, please let me know!
- Unable to loop vocals in the iPad. The GTX has class compliant USB audio but it is implemented in a way that makes looping unusable (which has been discussed at the TC forum). And no MIDI sync on the GTX either. I've got an idea for a workaround but haven't had time to pursue it yet.
- Lots of gear/connections. I've really been extremely selective in keeping everything to a minimum but it is still kind of a mess at the moment. I'm still in configuration/experimentation mode so there are cables everywhere as you can see. USB connections for live use seems a bit risky. Always looking to simplify and clean things up and I've got a couple more items coming and will post an updated pic.

FTP currently on my JTV

Eventually it will end up here

But as you can see I am having some issues at the moment

Ringleader

Over 300 views and nobody else wants to share?   :'(

I've been revamping the rig and if everything works as planned once a few more components arrive, I'll post an updated pic.

FreeTime

Looking forward to that ! I'm working on getting USB host to work on an Alesis ioDock so the iPad can run off mains while still using the FTP.

FreeTime

Quote from:  Elantric
Not going to happen, there is no   USB Host port functionality on IO Dock. I own one.

I found this: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8794.msg63119#msg63119

Ringleader

Finally done. Fully wireless guitar signals (midi and audio), midi controlled ABY switcher to also allow vocals to be looped/recorded in iPad, onboard tap tempo and expression control for G3, the entire rig runs off of a single integrated battery pack or a single IEC power cable, and it all fits in the pedaltrain mini bag!

sixeight

Very slick pedalboard. Great job.

thebrushwithin

Wow!! Super cool and clean!!! Please share more about the apps you use and routing!

admin

Quotemidi controlled ABY switcher

I assume this is sitting under the VoiceLive?

What Make / Model are you using?

Ringleader

Thanks for the positive feedback! I had to go back to the drawing board so many times with this thing so now that it is finally finished I just had to show it off lol!

@admsustainiac - it is the Sound Sculpture ABCadabra on the left and the battery bank on the right in that pic. You can hear the relay switch slightly through the audio chain but I just bumped up the noise gate on the zoom a tad so it covers it up.

@thebrushwithin - I currently use audiobus with sampletank, nanostudio, and the mic input (G3) as inputs and loopy HD as the output. Midibridge is still the glue that holds it all together. I currently use two scenes on the softstep, one for switching presets on the G3 and apps, and also one dedicated to loopy HD control. I can run any 1 of 4 parts from sampletank or drums from nanostudio combined with any of 4 presets on the zoom, or independently, within a given bank in the presets scene.

I have a custom cable made that is usb > CCk > dock extender cable that connects to the usb port on the front of the pedaltrain and my iPad 3. If the new iPads that get released next Tuesday have 2gb ram and the A7X I think I will be upgrading, and then the sky is the limit on apps running at once I'm thinking. The ipad 3 can't pull off Animoog with all this other stuff running. Really want to get that one in the mix.

multivir

Hey Ringleader - what a great pedalboard!

Can you draw a signal chain so I understand how you're handling the vocal / guitar paths?
How do you connect the USB devices? I assume the connection to your iPad isn't wireless (Loopy / synths) and I can't see a USB lead going the Kenton.
Also, the material to cover the bottom of the pedalboard seems to be a great idea! What is it called / where can I find it?
Since you were using Loopy on your first post of this thread -
Do you have a trick to handle this:
- Record clean guitar into loop 1 of Loopy
- Switch to another loop on Loopy
- Switch to another sound (maybe a synth or guitar lead sound)
- Record that onto the second loop
...all with the SoftStep / not using your hands to operate the iPad?

(If that works, I'll have to get me a new iPad...  ;D)

Ringleader

QuoteHey Ringleader - what a great pedalboard!
Thanks! I am loving it!

QuoteCan you draw a signal chain so I understand how you're handling the vocal / guitar paths?
Sure, see if this helps. The ABCadabra is being used in reverse which provides 2 ins/1 out. The G3 is still the audio I/O for the iPad. The new audio routing is as follows:
Guitar >  Line 6 G30 Wireless > ABCadabra "A" > ABCadabra "IN" to Zoom G3 Input/Effects > iPad > G3 Output to powered monitor
Mic > TC Helicon GTX (XLR output) > ABCadabra "B" > ABCadabra "IN" to Zoom G3 Input/Effects > iPad > G3 Output to powered monitor
FTP > USB Hub > iPad > G3 Output to powered monitor

So technically I could do just vox, just guitar, or combined vox and guitar but since they would both be summing into the front of the G3, it would have to be clean or acoustic guitar to work. To be honest, the audio signal was the easy part. Finding a way to power all this stuff off of a single battery pack (including 9V, 12V and 5V with opposing polarities) - now that was the tricky part!

QuoteHow do you connect the USB devices? I assume the connection to your iPad isn't wireless (Loopy / synths) and I can't see a USB lead going the Kenton.
There is no Kenton, the iPad is the host. Aside from the iPad and guitar, everything in the rig is shown in the pic. A USB Hub host port is wired to the front of the pedalboard and connects to the host port on the USB hub. The iPad connects to this host port with a custom cable (USB/CCK/Dock extension cable).

QuoteAlso, the material to cover the bottom of the pedalboard seems to be a great idea! What is it called / where can I find it?
The black covering for the bottom is like a vinyl cardboard. I have no idea what it is called or what its original intended purpose is. I just happened to find it on clearance at a local hardware store and came in 4x4 sheets for like $3.50 a sheet. I bought two sheets because I knew it would be handy for projects, and it has been.  :)

QuoteSince you were using Loopy on your first post of this thread -
Do you have a trick to handle this:
- Record clean guitar into loop 1 of Loopy
- Switch to another loop on Loopy
- Switch to another sound (maybe a synth or guitar lead sound)
- Record that onto the second loop
...all with the SoftStep / not using your hands to operate the iPad?
In all honesty, Loopy is the main reason I even wanted this setup. Love, love, love Loopy.

But to answer your question, Yes, that is how I use it. On the SoftStep I can toggle back and forth between the Loopy scene and my preset scene all while loops are playing back. In my preset scene I can switch between guitar sounds, vocals (with optional added G3 effects), and/or synth sounds and then switch back to my Loopy scene to record different sounds on different loops – all hands free. This is because all sounds are running through the Zoom G3 as the audio interface. I might have to do a video at some point to show how this thing works.

Elantric

Great work RingLeader!

Question? - Which iPad 3  Memory size are you using?

and did you build the small Switch with large Level Knob Pot in the center here?:

and thanks for the suggestion on the Ultimate stand Tour-T-Short-T to hold the B-205 mini monitor -  i got one myself!

Ringleader

Thanks! My iPad 3 is standard wi-fi 32GB (1GB ram). I am able to use all apps referenced above with the smaller buffer size in Audiobus (256).

The box with the tap-tempo switch I made with a repurposed hammond enclosure and the switch I robbed from my Digitech FS3X (soft click spst - love these switches). This tap tempo is hard wired to the Zoom tap tempo button, the ext switch output jack on the zoom is being used for the exp pedal below.

The box with the pot started as this, which I had previously used with my HD500, but I had to rewire it to work as TRS:
http://missionengineering.com/?product=mission-xpb-series

DF400

I just picked up an iPad Air and next will be the FTP. I guess I'm behind the curve a bit - was wondering how to integrate use of the FTP along with charging and audio/midi interfaces with a single lightning connector. Any updates in this area? I've been looking at the soon-to-arrive iconnectMIDI4+ and/or the iRig Pro.
I'm trying to use the iPad and both a midi interface and synth host, as well as for setlistmaker and midi controller.

Ringleader

Since nobody else shares their iPad set ups, I'll keep this thread alive!  :D Built a DIY midi controller/hub because I wanted more buttons for Loopy HD and no USB based midi controllers of this size exist on the market, and I need projects like this to keep my sanity.

It has moog style aesthetics, 23 control buttons + 1 scene selector button (all soft-touch), 4 expression pedal inputs and 1 ext footswitch jack. The guts are a korg Nanokontrol version 1. There is also a 4 port usb hub built in with 2 of the ports accessible on the back of the controller for my FTP and an external audio interface. The iPad will power the controller itself, but it needs ext power as soon as you connect anything to the USB ports. Then it is powered by a battery bank or any 5v usb charger.

No display is needed on the unit itself because everything is programmed via the korg editor. The 4 LEDs are for the 4 scenes. They are laid out offset to the right because the button on top left is the scene selector button and this way your foot doesn't cover up any LED when switching scenes.

The Nanokontrol doesn't allow program change messages as a programming option, but I'm still working to figure out the stream byter in Midibridge to convert notes to program change commands. Still deciding exactly how I want the overall layout of the controller to be programmed but so far so good!

tracy

Great work on your rig Ringleader!

Below is a diagram of the FTP/IOS rig I am building. I have mentioned it in a few other threads as well.

And I am blogging about it in excruciating detail at tracyevans.name.
@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

LoopInfinitum

wow wow!  thanks so much for posting, these are all bad*ss -- so much so that i had to register and post: would y'all be so kind to upload/link some videos of these badboys in action?  especially looping + patch changing... would absolutely love to see some of the possibilities you're discovering.  looks like i have some barely-justifiable-purchases to make... ;)

Elantric

How to use Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 + Fishman Tripleplay with iPad on Battery Power
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9581.msg68794#msg68794

IConnectAudio4+
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10419.0

Ringleader

Quote from: LoopInfinitum on January 12, 2014, 12:31:43 PM
wow wow!  thanks so much for posting, these are all bad*ss -- so much so that i had to register and post: would y'all be so kind to upload/link some videos of these badboys in action?  especially looping + patch changing... would absolutely love to see some of the possibilities you're discovering.  looks like i have some barely-justifiable-purchases to make... ;)

Once Sampletank is updated to get rid of the artifacts with AudioBus (known issue) I am hoping to make a video showing how it works.

nateynate

Guys I know this is an old thread, but I'm just getting into doing cool things with the Zoom.  I want a slightly more simple setup, and this is what I'm thinking:

Just doing audio, no FTP....

IPad-> USB hub via CCK
USB Midi foot controller -> USB hub
Zoom G3 -> USB Hub

I'll just use Loopy HD for guitar loops. Basically program the footswitch to do Loopy functions (start. stop clear. overdub, etc)
I might also want to use MidiBridge on the iPad and try to control patch changes on the zoom.

Pretty simple. Any ideas or gotchas?

Elantric

QuoteGuys I know this is an old thread, but I'm just getting into doing cool things with the Zoom.  I want a slightly more simple setup, and this is what I'm thinking:

Just doing audio, no FTP....

IPad-> USB hub via CCK
USB Midi foot controller -> USB hub
Zoom G3 -> USB Hub

I'll just use Loopy HD for guitar loops. Basically program the footswitch to do Loopy functions (start. stop clear. overdub, etc)
I might also want to use MidiBridge on the iPad and try to control patch changes on the zoom.

Pretty simple. Any ideas or gotchas?

That setup works
Be sure to use a powered USB Hub
I would let the G3 do all the Guitar Amp sims - because the Zoom G3's USB Audio is limited to 16 bits, which yields more noise when used with IOS Amp Modeling apps  -but will be perfectly fine for an IOS  Looper.

Read this thread to understand the pitfalls and what works
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9581.0

nateynate

Quote from: Elantric on April 07, 2016, 06:44:50 AM
That setup works
Be sure to use a powered USB Hub
I would let the G3 do all the Guitar Amp sims - because the Zoom G3's USB Audio is limited to 16 bits, which yields more noise when used with IOS Amp Modeling apps  -but will be perfectly fine for an IOS  Looper.

Read this thread to understand the pitfalls and what works
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9581.0

Thanks for the prompt reply!! I'll post back with my results.  Basically, I want to get rid of my looper pedal(s) and replace with iPad + Loopy + Foot controller programmed like I want (mainly dedicated stop), and also gain patch changing enhancements for the zoom.

you guys rock.

Elantric

As many know - 90% of the time I use my Fishman Tripleplay with an iPad to trigger Sampletank sounds

Sure wish there was an IOS Tripleplay  config app

others are discovering FTP > Apple USB Camera Adapter > Ipad  too:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24871832/
JiveTurkey wrote>
QuoteSo I just bought the camera kit, brought it home and connected it to my Ipad. Oh my. I can see why people go this route. Just with stock SampleTank sounds; it falls between SY and 55 territory. Not uber realistic but very doable. With zero tweaking on any sort of parameters on the Ipad; I'd rate it the same as far as tracking and glitches go. Quicker than the GR but not quite as smooth as the SY. I'll be working with this quite a bit more. Suggestions welcome for IPad synth tones But I might just buy some more sample tank stuff and good.

Elantric

https://www.fishman.com/tripleplay-and-ipad/
TriplePlay and iPad
Did you know that with nothing more than a simple USB adaptor, you can plug and play your TriplePlay straight into an iPad (or even an iPhone)? Well, our friend Ernesto does, as he ably demonstrates in these two quick videos, using IK Multimedia's SampleTank 3 for iPad. TriplePlay works seamlessly with any app that supports MIDI input, and there is no shortage of great options available from the App Store.

Lightning to USB Camera Adaptor Kit

admin

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22704.msg165283#msg165283

Smash wrote>

If that's about what I said I was talking about the Jam origin it outputs polyphonically. When I use pads via FTP it sends out monophonically so I can add the A&E on top an octave down - bit like the left hand if a keyboard player so bigger pad sounds. So you have all 6 strings as pad plus a&e as additional octave lower. Jam origin cannot do this nor can it do just the top 4 strings.

Hope that makes sense!

If you listen here you can see what I mean about the low e&a having additional octave lower to sound more like a keyboard player:.

Everything you're hearing is coming out of an iPad air 2

https://www.youtube.com/user/smashmash/videos