The unexpected (nice) feature of the VG99

Started by pasha811, October 13, 2014, 10:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

I thought this was good to share even if I bet most of you already know..
I was playing with VG99 and ASSIGNs last night and I was able to start from the initial patch sound and then using CTRL3 and CTRL4 apply modification. On channel A I programmed a Clean Sound, Strat with a Clean Twin and on Channel B I programmed a Lead Sound.
CTRL3 was switching Channels, while CTRL4 added more space to Channel A in terms of Delay and more Reverb/Chorus.
Then I thought... If I add more space to Channel A by pressing CTRL4 and later I switch to channel B for a Lead Guitar solo and then I come back to Channel A.. I am afraid that the 'space' has gone and I need to press CTRL4 again.. double tap.. dancing on the pedals..
And then VG99 surprised me. The buffer memory actually retained the 'space' modification in Channel A (after I pressed CTRL4) and so switching back to Channel A brought me back to the Channel A sound as it was before I switched to Channel B via CTRL3 Press.
Awesome!  ;D

VG99, I love it!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Brent Flash

This is just to get you thinking about how the VG signal path works so maybe it will open up more discoveries for you.

Channel A&B are always active and completely independent of each other and will stay set the way you leave them as long as you do not change PRESETS. So simply turning one OFF and the other ON does not put one in buffer memory while it is OFF. Both can play at the same time and you can turn them up or down independent of each other, plus their FX racks are completely separate. So within a PRESET there are a lot of possibilities to switch sounds like a lot of people do in the GR-55 so that they do not get the gap of audio between PRESET changes. But the VG-99 switches PRESETs pretty fast so if you want to you can switch back and forth between PRESETs if you wish for LEAD or RYTHEM.

This is where some start thinking of the most complex VG sounds that are made to layer A and B so that the two signal paths create a new sound by combining or layering the two sounds into one. A lead made up of a layer of CLEAN TELE and DISTORTED LES PAUL for example will give you what a lot of players back in the 70s and 80s were tying to do with multiple amps on stage and can now be done with one guitar and the VG.

pasha811

Quote from: Brent Flash on October 13, 2014, 12:01:15 PM
This is just to get you thinking about how the VG signal path works so maybe it will open up more discoveries for you.

Channel A&B are always active and completely independent of each other and will stay set the way you leave them as long as you do not change PRESETS. So simply turning one OFF and the other ON does not put one in buffer memory while it is OFF. Both can play at the same time and you can turn them up or down independent of each other, plus their FX racks are completely separate. So within a PRESET there are a lot of possibilities to switch sounds like a lot of people do in the GR-55 so that they do not get the gap of audio between PRESET changes. But the VG-99 switches PRESETs pretty fast so if you want to you can switch back and forth between PRESETs if you wish for LEAD or RYTHEM.

This is where some start thinking of the most complex VG sounds that are made to layer A and B so that the two signal paths create a new sound by combining or layering the two sounds into one. A lead made up of a layer of CLEAN TELE and DISTORTED LES PAUL for example will give you what a lot of players back in the 70s and 80s were tying to do with multiple amps on stage and can now be done with one guitar and the VG.

Thanks Brent,
The Clean and Distorted on the same patch is now first thing to try when I get home :-)
After almost three years of VG99 there's still so much I haven't tried yet. This machine is an endless jar of goodies :-)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/