Can you make the RIBBON ctrl "stick"?

Started by supernicd, September 30, 2014, 05:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

I could not find anything about this in older posts.  The behavior of the ribbon controller seems to be similar to that of a spring loaded mod wheel - when you take your hand off, it returns to zero.  Is there a way to make it "sticky"?  E.g. if you take your hand off at 75% of full, can it be made to stay at that value?
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Brent Flash

I think only if you are using a pedal to activate it.

supernicd

VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Brent Flash

Quote from: SuperNiCd on September 30, 2014, 10:26:31 AM
Hmm, OK, I will give this a try!
Doing this is a little tricky so here is a thread that talks about doing it with the D-Beam but same applies to the Ribbon. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11704.msg85352#msg85352

supernicd

Thanks!  You're right a little tricky to set up, and the thread helped.  And the result is just exactly what I was looking for.  For example, turn the filter (or other target effect) on with the CTRL 1 pedal, then set the cutoff frequency with the ribbon and continue playing (with that filter in place), and be able to keep changing the cutoff frequency as you go, but with a hand on the controller only when you want to change.

So the D-BEAM can work like this too huh?  That actually makes these controllers even more interesting and potentially useful!  Kind of differentiated from an expression pedal because you can get choppy with the values if you want to.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Brak(E)man

Quote from: SuperNiCd on September 30, 2014, 01:17:54 PM
Thanks!  You're right a little tricky to set up, and the thread helped.  And the result is just exactly what I was looking for.  For example, turn the filter (or other target effect) on with the CTRL 1 pedal, then set the cutoff frequency with the ribbon and continue playing (with that filter in place), and be able to keep changing the cutoff frequency as you go, but with a hand on the controller only when you want to change.

So the D-BEAM can work like this too huh?  That actually makes these controllers even more interesting and potentially useful!  Kind of differentiated from an expression pedal because you can get choppy with the values if you want to.

great news , apart from having to haul another controller pedal around , isn't it possible to assign one of the control buttons or the gk ones ??
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

supernicd

It is definitely possible with one of the CTRL buttons on the 99 itself - I actually tried that.  Can't see why the S1 or S2 button wouldn't also work, but I did not try that.

I could not get the D-BEAM to work in quite the same way - it doesn't seem to have the same activate target that the Ribbon does.  So a turning the filter on via a controller worked, and engaging the D-BEAM controlled the freq, but then subsequently moving my hand/guitar neck out of D-BEAM range turned the effect off. 

I only tried it with the D-BEAM's filter effect though, which is maybe kind of hard wired to it.  Next time I'll have to try targeting another effect's parameter with it or maybe use the Ribbon's filter with freq controlled by the D-BEAM.  It's not really clear to me whether the D-BEAM and Ribbon share the same filter or if they are independent FX.  Neither of them appear in the FX chain or appear to be movable.  Based on what I'm hearing I assume they're fixed at the end of the signal chain but I could be wrong.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Brent Flash

Quote from: SuperNiCd on October 01, 2014, 04:36:24 AM
It is definitely possible with one of the CTRL buttons on the 99 itself - I actually tried that.  Can't see why the S1 or S2 button wouldn't also work, but I did not try that.

I could not get the D-BEAM to work in quite the same way - it doesn't seem to have the same activate target that the Ribbon does.  So a turning the filter on via a controller worked, and engaging the D-BEAM controlled the freq, but then subsequently moving my hand/guitar neck out of D-BEAM range turned the effect off. 

I only tried it with the D-BEAM's filter effect though, which is maybe kind of hard wired to it.  Next time I'll have to try targeting another effect's parameter with it or maybe use the Ribbon's filter with freq controlled by the D-BEAM.  It's not really clear to me whether the D-BEAM and Ribbon share the same filter or if they are independent FX.  Neither of them appear in the FX chain or appear to be movable.  Based on what I'm hearing I assume they're fixed at the end of the signal chain but I could be wrong.
Here are more threads on using a pedal to control D-Beam and Ribbon. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5382.msg36831#msg36831