Use VG-99 interfaces to process vocals to MIDI?

Started by mapperboy, September 29, 2014, 01:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapperboy

I'm wondering if anyone's tried to use the VG-99's GK 13 pin interface +/- Guitar-In (analogue) input to trigger a MIDI-out event?
I hacked a 13 pin cable to trigger a single string (pins 1-6)  on a 1/4" jack and that works great for experimenting with guitars and basses which have no GK type individual pickup systems, i.e. I can get a std guitar pu to trigger a VG-99 MIDI-Out to an external synth (albeit limited voicing depending on patch settings).  Shouldn't I be able to take a mic preamp out with sufficient signal into the VG-99 and sing a pitch to trigger a midi note?

Oh, BTW I can get a vocal input to process with all the wild effects available using the non-COSM processing thru Guitar-In (as expected), just looking for the elusive MIDI trigger ability now.

<Always Messin' Around With The Hardware>

(Mods please bump this to the appropriate forum section if needed)
"No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time. Go!"
- Henry Rollins

gumtown

I would work in theory, but since vocals are rich in complex harmonics and artifacts, that you may need to filter out the highs (and extreme lows & sibilants) to leave mostly fundamental pitch.
I have tried it with software based pitch to midi, and the tracking is not quite consistant (might be my voice).
Fun to try though.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

musicman65

An XLR to 1/4" TR adapter with built-in impedance matching transformer will work. I've connected an SM58 and used my voice to drive the pitch to midi. The issue is that my singing isn't pitch accurate so the results where not great...but it works. An in line EL to cut the highs and lows might help.