VG99 Juno G 6 strings / channels / Sounds - set up

Started by jackeb77, September 12, 2014, 09:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackeb77

Hi, i am new to this forum and have just purchased the VG99, FC300, GK-3 pick up and stand second hand in great condition for £500.

I have a roland juno G and srx-7 board.

Im totally new to the world of midi guitar and indeed midi full stop.

I have managed to rig up the VG and juno and im getting some great sounds.
but i wondered if it is possible to assign sounds from the juno to different strings of the guitar?
As a beginner Im guessing that the strings are treated as separate channels and there may be a way of getting the juno to assign sounds to each channel, but how i have no idea how to?
e.g. it would be good to have a range of sounds like a bass sound on the bass e string, an synth sound on the a and d strings strings, an organ on the g string string and an fx sound on the b and e strings thats the kind of thing im looking to achieve.

Any tips on how best to set up the vg-99 with the juno G would also be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help.
i have the manuals for the juno g and vg99

really pleased i jumped into the midi guitar world, so many possibilities to explore, looking forward to it.

Elantric

#1 Good New - i also own a Juno G and VG-99

#2 Bad News -my time is overbooked and cant see my way to having free time until 2015

But you will want to explore having the VG-99 transmit using MIDI Mono Mode. See VG-99 OM Page 164

MIDI MODE This sets the transmission mode for the MIDI messages.
MIDI MONO -  In this mode, one channel per string is used, thus using a total of six channels.
Since each string uses a different MIDI channel, you can select a different tone for each
string, using string bending or continuously varying the pitch on a specific string; however, this requires use of a multitimbral sound module.

Read how to set the Juno G as a  multitimbral sound module here on page 11
"Using the JUNO-G as a Controller and Sound Module"

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/JGWS02.pdf

and read these docs

http://www.rolandclan.com/media/3/Juno-G%20Micro%20Manual%20en.pdf

"63 Seq:Template (multitimbral template for the on-board sequencer)
64 GM2 Template (multitimbral template for the GeneralMIDI 2 specs)

jackeb77

thanks so much for your help / tips and time Elantric.
It All makes sense now.
Im away from the vg / juno for couple days - look forward to getting it all working next week.
And thanks to This site, what a great resource for learning how to use the VG and other bits of midi kit, will go thru the posts bit by bit over next few months

thanks you for your invaluable time - much appreciated