Boss GP-10 Reviews

Started by myksara, June 12, 2014, 12:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myksara

I got the opportunity to try out the GP10 for a brief time (15 mins) at a music expo here.
A few observations:
- Very compact in size as compared to the GR55
- Small display. So if the GR55 display has spoiled you then you are going to have a tough time
- Changing parameters on the fly is cumbersome as the edit layout is different. For example if you have to change phaser/chorus parameters, you have to scroll through all the amp settings,OD/stompbox settings and then the effects.
- acoustic modeling seems improved to my ears (some acoustic factory patches sounded very good)
- You finally have alternate tuning applicable to 12 string models too. So you can play hotel california intro on a 12 string model in an Em shape that is transposed +7 steps...infact they have a factory preset that demos exactly this!
- No USB drivers are available yet, so couldnot try the main thing USB-MIDI. Although Alex Hutchings video briefly shows that it is doable. Remains to be seen if it is as fast as a triple play. Fingers crossed.
- You can use your external BOSS FS6 or 5 footswitches for more control parameters
- Getting rid of USB drive and adding aux in makes more sense if you are a one man band and want to play backing tracks
- Not so bad synth factory demos as to what you can achieve. Ofcourse you need to tweak to make them actually usable.
- Could not dial in good lead sounds on the fly. They sounded muddy or too harsh thru headphones. But I am sure that's possible after you spend time tweaking. I could see a few new amp models too.
- Harmonizer has been included. Finally!!!
- Only 3 GK sets allowed. Now I have 5 GK equipped guitars so how do I manage???!!
- They include a GK3 pick up, GK cable, power adapter. No USB cable but that's a standard one that everyone should be having.

** Disclaimer: All this understanding is based on my 15 mins. fiddling with the unit.
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Elantric

Thanks for posting the first Boss GP-10 User review!

Kevin M

Only 3 GK sets??  I have 3 for one guitar alone on my 99!

myksara

Being a gr55 user and having used vg99 in the past, I don't see any WOW THIS IS AMAZING factor
in the GP10 and would happily continue using my GR55..
unless the GP10 has a fantastic guitar to midi.

GP10 clearly seems to target new audience with a reduction in cost
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Rhcole

The "Amazing" factor will come from any of these three factors: 1) the Dual oscillator synth really working and sounding good; 2) Great re-guitaring and split hex out (not of interest to me); 3) Substantially improved MIDI out.

I'm betting on 1 or 3 with my pre-order.

Now_And_Then

Quote from: Rhcole on June 12, 2014, 05:25:51 PM
The "Amazing" factor will come from any of these three factors: 1) the Dual oscillator synth really working and sounding good; 2) Great re-guitaring and split hex out (not of interest to me); 3) Substantially improved MIDI out. I'm betting on 1 or 3 with my pre-order.

#3 is not a good bet; the technology that Roland employ is, in itself, a limiting factor that makes significant improvements unlikely (to say the least). Of course I could be wrong - but in this particular matter it's not likely.

But we will very soon see...

Spider

About latency (comment from my cyfrowogitarowo.pl site):

"Product Support [Roland] commented on New BOSS GP-10 Guitar Processor.

in response to XXXXXX:

What are the delays (latency) in Guitar to MIDI mode compared to the GR-55? Is the GP-10 is here faster than the GR-55?

We expect the MIDI processing time in the GP-10 to be the same as in the GR-55."

nervoteso

I'm testing....i have impression roland have been making same products for years....anyway it's very small and fit well in the pedalboard and polyphonic effects sound very cool. Tweaking isn't so flexible and distortions sound less organic then vg99 and gr55. Maybe impressions. I keep testing

nervoteso

This device is nice acoustic models are very good also on piezo. Xtsa on gr55 is bad with steel, on gp10 no issues.oscillator sinth is fantastic. Also the effects are good in the boss style if you like. It sounds very good but, i think,  it' s too limited, no looper no dual chain, no pcm. You can choose a model, if you want make some textures you' ve to play with your pickup and then choose a pad or a sinth. No acoustic + sinth for example. Tweaking is boring you've to press a lot of stuff.

DeRigueur

I just went through the presets and was impressed.  I, too, thought there was improvement in the acoustic models (at least the Martin D28).
There won't be any on the fly tweaking with this.  The UI is a bit clunky.  Reminded me of my GT-5.  One string at a time tuning.
There were numerous synth presets.  I'm not really a synth guy, but they may come in handy.
I liked that 12 str Rick - always been a favorite for me.
There was an SRV style patch.  The strat neck pickup tone sounded a bit less 'intense' (maybe more like the middle pick up) than it did on the gr-55.  Maybe it was just that patch.
I made a LP Bogner patch.  There's a band I like called Kutless and it sounded like their tone.
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

Elantric

It would be handy if all GP-10 Reviewers posted their type Guitar and 13pin PU type used for testing.

And if there is "gap" of silence anytime you use the Patch Up / Patch Down foot switches ?

Waiting for a Godin User to test the GP-10's GR-300 sims and see if the low frequency noise is diminished / acceptable  -compared to a stock GR-55 / VG-99 which both suffer low noise rumbling problems for Piezo PU users anytime the Bridge is touched during GR-300 Simulation.

EDIT: read my initial thoughts review below after 1st day of ownership I ordered a 2nd GP-10, this is a working mans toolbox in small tight handy package that blows away other guitar modeling systems in 2014. My Variax guitars do not sound this good!

DeRigueur

I use a gk-3 equipped strat-style guitar.
Patch changes are pretty quick.  There's not gap of silence.

Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

nervoteso

Quote from: Elantric on July 08, 2014, 02:34:26 PM
It would be handy if all GP-10 Reviewers posted their type Guitar and 13pin PU type used for testing.

And if there is "gap" of silence anytime you use the Patch Up / Patch Down foot switches ?

Waiting for a Godin User to test the GP-10's GR-300 sims and see if the low frequency noise is diminished / acceptable  -compared to a stock GR-55 / VG-99 which both suffer low noise rumbling problems for Piezo PU users anytime the Bridge is touched during GR-300 Simulation.

i tested with xtsa godin and i did not notice issues i have with gr55 neither with steel or with gr300. i'll try better in the next days also with other godin ac nylon. also i did not notice any gap between patches change. i think roland improved this stuff and made a great job but in a limited box.

merman93

Left work early today after roommate emailed that FedEx delivered GP-10 earlier than expected,....

I will be using this TOTALLY differant than 99% of the users, so forgive me.
After two hours of digging, I have determined this will be the programmable GR 300 analog synth I have dreamed of having since 1981. The GR 300 emulation is sooo good, I swear I had tears. I'll explain further down why I really won't be using most of the other modeling features, but I'm sure they are great.

There are 3 Basic Synth models, (as well as acoustic and electric sims but these are what I've used so far), all of which Rock!! The ability to control many parameters has finally allowed me to use rise and fall timed sweeps of pitch change up to an octave either way Duet, vibrato etc just like my old GR 300. I put on Discipline by Crimson and made sax type Synth Jabs to Belew's squeals just like I did 30 years ago. The one thing I didn't like about my GR 300 is it was not programmable. Well I've already stored 10 presets of just gr-300 sims with slow pads, crispy raspy leads, wide lush analog swirls .etc.

The same items could be controlled the same with GR-55, but the way my brain works, the GP-10 seems easier to accomplish this. Other uses may disagree. I base this on the fact that I've had the GR-55 for 2-3 years now, and I never set these features up, but in half an hour with the GP-10, I have and am really enjoying this.

I've just started playing with the other analog Synths,.. OSC  as well as the Wave Synth and they are winners also. I found that When I turned off the magnetic pickups these two patches really excited me,....Cosmic Drive/54, and OSC Crystal/35. To me, the synth tones sounded much better without the guitar tones mixed in.

So, I highly recommend getting a Boss FS-6 as that will give you two more controllers to assign. Of course all assignable by Patch, or System. One of my Ibanez controllers with a GK3 kit installed has no synth volume, s1,s2, or mix switch installed, so I had to set GK system volume off to get it working, but after that hiccup it sounds really good. Since I don't have S1s2 switches on that one, having the extra FS-6 allows me to assign virtual pickup selection . As usual for Roland manuals, there are many contradictions. Creative users will notice Systems settings allow many possibilities that manual suggests aren't allowable.

Of course the Roland GC-1 Strat plays flawless , and my other two ibanez with Factory 13 pin outputs do too, one has a gk2 hex, the other LR Baggs Piezos. I tried many combinations of sensitivity and Piezo settings for the Ibanez RG 1520 and it was the most difficult one to dial in with the Gr-300 sim, typical trem, and body noise from Piezo without a low cut filter installed. But, I have found a good balance and it is no where near as bad as with the GR-55, but I won't say it isn't noticible. The acoustic sims are way better than gr-55, even with the piezo guitar. Rubbing my finger across  a string, or a good pick bounce really sounds like I'm using acoustic bronze strings and tapping on top of a sound board.

Patch 46/wide clean and 48/super modulate really show the quality of Roland Chorus and Effects, and this a great patch to get into and modify to make your own.

The amp/cabinet sims are very usable, but I will not be using them. I didn't expect a $400 unit to compare with a $2000 KPA, but,.. On the other hand, this $400 unit has lots of delay, modulation  effects that actually surpass ones in the KPA, and I am looking forward to experimenting with them.

I no longer have my JTV Variax so I can't honestly compare how the GP-10's guitar modeling rates.
Honestly, I just found in live situations the subtle differance a in guitar models gets lost, and recording wise,... I have a good collection of vintage guitars and prefer to use them.

Well, it's calling me again,... Waiting on the editor as everyone else, but there's plenty of empty patches to play with until then.

I added a pic of the guitars used in the review. Roland GC-1, Ibanez RG920 GK kit, Ibanez RG 1520 GK, Ibanez RG 420 GK.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Elantric

merman93 said it all!

After spending the past 2 hours playing the Boss GP-10 - all I can say is Wow - Wow- Wow !

( I'm in a hotel in Fullerton and in Los Angeles until Noon Saturday- PM me if you are in LA area and want to meet up this Saturday)

A few observations:

The early GP-10's I saw appeared to have identical Pantone Yellow color as 1980 Roland GR-100, while the in person the final production Boss GP-10 has a pearlescent semi metallic Yellow  color.   

Gear used for my Boss GP-10 Initial review

* 2012 Godin xtSA with RMC Piezo saddles and summer 2011 era Polydrive board.

* Planet Waves 10FT 13 pin Cable

* 2012 Apple MackBook Pro Retina w/ Logic X

* Audio-Technica ATH-M80 Headphones + USB Cable

* Galaxy Note 2 (used as MP3 player feeding GP-10 Aux Input

On Boss GP-10, I set the GK Type to "PIEZO_R" for the RMC Piezo Pus (and GK Phase = Reverse, and I assigned the GK3 S1 and S2 to COSM MODEL PU Up/Down - just like VG-99) ) on my Godin xtSA. And this thing rocks-  While there do exist occasional minor Piezo PU rumble anomalies here and there (which GK-3 users will never see ) [EDIT: since tamed by adjusting the PIEZO Low EQ Freq to -2dB) , I can report  the Boss GP-10 with GK Type set to Piezo_R' should work fine out of the box for owners of 2012 or newer Godin xtSA / LGSA / LGXT guitars

I've been going through the GP-10  factory presets - and Im struck by the clarity,dynamic range and low noise.
Its rather clear the GP-10 has the BEST DSP emulation of acoustic guitars and 12 string acoustics I ever tried. The COSM Modeling "bar has been raised to new heights in the Boss GP-10 -it has the Best Nylon model  Roland ever delivered to data ( blows away the VG-99 & GR-55  Nylon and Acoustic models)
All the above experience might be owed to the excellent RMC Pickup and Richard McClish's commitment to "'improving the breed ' in response to market demands 

Bottom line the Boss GP-10 Definitely delivers pro performance.

Many of the Boss GP-10 presets repurpose CTL 1 as a Tap Tempo, and others use CTL 2 as a Infinite Hold.

And Eureka, the Boss GP-10 makes full use of the GK-3 three way select switch ( THANK YOU Roland!)

Patch changes occur swiftly and clean, zero gaps in any audio.

I fed MP3 backing tracks to the 3.5mm Aux In and no skips  or dropouts during any Boss GP-10 patch change which are almost seamless.

I installed the Boss GP10 USB Driver on my Mac - and after USB connection the Mac "sees" the Boss GP-10  as a multichannel Core Audio Interface with Eight Input Channels and Eight Output Channels.

In Logic-X  - I assigned the GP-10 to be the Audio I/O Interface with I/O Buffer size set to 128 samples (8.8ms Roundtrip Latency ) Excellent zero problems - and very clean  24 bit audio.

I made a test recording of all patches , then I rewound, and jammed along with the prior recording  while making lots of patch changes on the GP-10  - and experienced flawless audio - no drop outs.

The GP-10 can become the central heart of  a small system  - the tone is very organic responsive and sounds very good.

I'm tempted to order a spare asap. - I love this thing! 

Other Boss GP-10 concepts worth reading

Boss GP-10 Control Expansion Options
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11818.0

montyrivers

Anybody try to confirm Usb midi/audio class compliance?  If not, is there a work around that doesn't involve a computer?  Anyone try plugging it into their ipad?  Advanced vs Standard driver setting?  :0

drbill

Quote from: montyrivers on July 11, 2014, 05:51:57 AM
Anybody try to confirm Usb midi/audio core compliance?  If not, is there a work around that doesn't involve a computer?  Anyone try plugging it into their ipad?  Advanced vs Standard driver setting?  :0

Yeah, if it could at least run class compliant for MIDI (i.e. no audio), then a iConnectMIDI could allow you to use a regular MIDI pedal to control it.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

drbill

Elantric's review really has me GASing for this pedal. It could really replace the -99 for what I use it for almost all the time (guitar modeling & GR-300 synth), since I use the FTP for soft synths and Kemper for amp tones. The primary issue is that I don't really want to bring a computer all the time, but I guess I can get over that since having the 828 for routing is pretty desirable when using both the GP10 & Kemper.

I suppose that if Bias as a AU turns out to be light enough on the CPU that I can leave the Kemper at home, then it's a net plus on the amount of gear & complexity.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

Spider

@Elantric
I wait for your opinion about emulation of electric and acoustic with GK3 compared to GR-55 and JTV. Any way... it looks like I must buy it :D and get back into GK camp again...

FrugalGuitarist

Got mine last night as well. this is my first foray into these devices and attaching the GK-3 was harder than I expected and I wasn't getting great tracking on the synth patches. Based on the other reviews, clearly my setup is incorrect somewhere. I'll need to read up on some optimization hints. Until I get that set up right, no comments really on the synth stuff for lead work. However for chordal/ambient pad type stuff, very, very nice.

Electric/Acoustic/Bass/Banjo/Sitar Modeling? Fantastic! Really incredible what their able to do. I concur with the above post, slapping on the strings on acoustic models you can hear the soundboard resonant. Incredible. I've been wanting a classical guitar for a couple tunes I've been working on and the nylon setting will absolutely work for me despite not having a great reputation among VR users. You can also hear a "woody" quality to the banjo and sitar patches which was absolutely surreal.

Poly FX are also very, very cool.

Amps/FX - If you've played a GT-100 or GR-55 you likely know what to expect. Amps are certainly usable, but not what I'll be using the unit for. Effects are very good.

carlb

From experimenting with the GP-10 and perusing the manual, it appears there is not a global EQ. The closest is setting what amp or effects-return input you set the GP-10's output for. What sounds best for my small self-powered PA speaker is the "JC-120 Return" setting, although even that's too "midrange-bassy."

I know I could EQ each patch separately, but I'd prefer to set an overall EQ good for for the majority of patches. I might purchase an outboard EQ toward this.

I'll need to do a bit more experimentation, but it may be that the Graph Tech piezo's do best with input filtering, ala Wayne Joness' fillter/buffer module.

I like the clarity and immediacy of the sound when compared with the VG-99. I much prefer the VG-99 for user interface, configurability, and extensive editability.

I don't see an option for the GK pickup controller's toggle switch to go from "up/down patch" to "modeled-pickup-position-selection." I can work around this by having an FS-6 on the floor with patches set to have those select the modeled-pickup position.

Because I like running my modeler affixed to my gig-rig and pre-wired for "plug-n-play," I could end up modifying it to bring the internal expression pedal connections to a separate output jack. With that I could run an EV-5 on the floor. That and the two control switches of the FS-6 might be just enough to get by.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

mbenigni

Blargh!  I was thinking I'd probably skip this one on account of the MIDI limitations, but you guys are giving me serious GAS now!  I might have to sell my Kemper to pay for all the cool new toys distracting me (e.g. GP10, VoiceLive 3...)  The KPA may be the pinnacle of tone, but in truth I just don't use it all that much; the iPad apps, Roland stuff, etc. seem to inspire more creativity for me.  I can always run any of the above into a real guitar cab if I want to put that "real amp" feel on them.

Decisions, decisions.  If only Roland hadn't boned up the GP10's MIDI, and I could develop my own control surface for the thing, it would have been a no-brainer.  Still looking like a 90% at this point.

FrugalGuitarist

Quote from: mbenigni on July 11, 2014, 08:07:44 AM
Blargh!  I was thinking I'd probably skip this one on account of the MIDI limitations, but you guys are giving me serious GAS now!  I might have to sell my Kemper to pay for all the cool new toys distracting me (e.g. GP10, VoiceLive 3...)  The KPA may be the pinnacle of tone, but in truth I just don't use it all that much; the iPad apps, Roland stuff, etc. seem to inspire more creativity for me.  I can always run any of the above into a real guitar cab if I want to put that "real amp" feel on them.

Decisions, decisions.  If only Roland hadn't boned up the GP10's MIDI, and I could develop my own control surface for the thing, it would have been a no-brainer.  Still looking like a 90% at this point.

I sold my KPA long ago. Very, very good device which every studio  (or studio guitarist) should own. But I can get very pleasing results with any number of more affordable modelers paired with a Logidy EPSi and some choice IRs. The GP-10 unlocks the boundaries all the traditional modeling solutions (regardless of price) live within.

BTW...This thing truly is tiny. Smaller than my Digitech RP360, not much larger than the Zoom G3. About the size of 2 Whammy pedals. A huge design win that they were able to get 4 switches on there and still some type of graphical display and minimal controls.

mbenigni

Quote from: FrugalGuitarist on July 11, 2014, 08:25:19 AM
BTW...This thing truly is tiny

LOL - Dude, you are totally pressing my buttons.   ;D  I've got a GP-10 in cart and have been hovering over the "Buy" button, and - seriously - wondering whether it will be significantly more portable than my GR55.  You're killing me!  If it's convenient for anyone who owns both:  I would love to see a picture of the GR55 and GP10 side by side.

I hear you re: the Kemper.  I seriously love the thing, but I'm not cutting records in a professional studio.  Arguably its greatest strengths are wasted on me.  Meanwhile, the lack of a GUI (excepting the new PC app, which I haven't even found time to test), the need to keep up with firmware updates, the potential to get completely bogged down in zillions of profiles...  those last two things are actually strengths of the KPA's, but I simply don't have time to stay adequately invested and get the most out of it.

This is a problem across the board, frankly.  New iPad apps come and go and I'm still getting used to them by the time they're one-upped and I'm moving on.  I never performed, recorded, or even documented all of the great ideas I had for the GR55 - and here I am with GP-10 envy already.  Commerce is pushing music tech - and every other tech sector - along too quickly.  As a part-time musician, I can't hope to keep up.

merman93

Quote from: carlb on July 11, 2014, 07:43:32 AM

I don't see an option for the GK pickup controller's toggle switch to go from "up/down patch" to "modeled-pickup-position-selection." I can work around this by having an FS-6 on the floor with patches set to have those select the modeleyd-pickup position.

I recommend an FS-6 but you can do that with the gk switches.
Several ways to assign , system or by patch. When set up by patch, ( page 12) you can make 8 different sets of settings. See parameter list at Rolandus.com page 9 lists the Assign Target list (1-8). Sorry I can't be more detailed yet,... Not at home, but I ran through last night and totally doable, as is using FS6 as mentioned. Can even assign GK volume to control delay parameters or envelope resonance/cutoff. Some presets even have Ct 2 changes several functions together. Example is you could change modeled pickups and eq simultaneously.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9