GK 13 pin Cable Maintenance Tips.

Started by Elantric, February 12, 2011, 01:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexmcginness

Plugged in my road gear to do some rehearsin for  my next boat gig and right away the noisy cable reared it ugly head. A couple of shots of Deoxit and its like havin a new VG-99 again. Its magic.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

admin

Hi All,

The essential 13-pin plug & socket dusts covers are now available in a 30-pack, with 10 of each type.

Prices including shipping:

UK - £10.00

USA & CANADA - $16.70 USD

EUROPE - 14.67 EURO

ELSEWHERE - $16.90 USD

With shipping they work out at about £0.33GBP each, and feel this is a reasonable price to pay for protecting 13-pin plugs & sockets.

You wouldn't believe it, but there's a new youtube movie in progress, showing how to make all three 13-pin dust covers. It also stars Mr. Dirt & Mr. Dust, and this time I pick up a whole load of verbal abuse - most of which will have to be beeped-out :D

Movie preview.

Thanks for viewing,

Bill

http://www.separate-strings.co.uk/13pinprotection.html

elmo7sharp9

Quote from: Elantric on April 17, 2014, 12:55:50 PM
Many folks are using a Roland US-20 Switcher - then they modify the US-20 to reallocate Pin#9 as a separate Ground Pin - which improves the GK-13 cable reliability for live gigs dramatically.

I cracked open my VG-88 to install a 13-pin output socket for my GR-33, so that I can use both simultaneously.

On the (stock) VG-88, pin 9 is already tied to ground, internally.
One less job to do...

Still need to go round my GK2A collection, connecting pin 9 to ground at the guitar end.
I don't own anything modern enough to react to control voltages on pin 9.

gearhound22

Does anyone have experience with this 13 pin type and how to remove the pins?
This particular one just came out, but I need to do some work to it.

admin

Quote from: gearhound22 on August 03, 2020, 07:18:41 PM
Does anyone have experience with this 13 pin type and how to remove the pins?
This particular one just came out, but I need to do some work to it.
It uses a tool similar to this

gearhound22

Quote from: admin on August 03, 2020, 07:39:32 PM
It uses a tool similar to this

Thank you! Is there any specific name for it? I might have to see if I can make my own or improvise :(

Edit managed to find it
http://aeroelectric.com/articles/D-Sub_Pin/Pin-Extraction.html

admin

Quote from: gearhound22 on August 03, 2020, 07:47:00 PM
Thank you! Is there any specific name for it? I might have to see if I can make my own or improvise :(

Edit managed to find it
http://aeroelectric.com/articles/D-Sub_Pin/Pin-Extraction.html

Just need to determine the correct size tool for the pins you have

gumbo

...and if you're up to it, SOLDERING the cable screen to the strain relief crimp on the end of the jackplug shell is a GOOD IDEA while you've got it all in bits.... ;)

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gearhound22

Quote from: gumbo on August 04, 2020, 02:03:47 AM
...and if you're up to it, SOLDERING the cable screen to the strain relief crimp on the end of the jackplug shell is a GOOD IDEA while you've got it all in bits.... ;)

Cheers,
Peter

Certainly did Gumbo ;)

I think this cable might have been an original Axon one? That is how it came. The circular housing was pretty beat up too so I smoothed it out. Also the pins were filthy! Cleaned those right up.
Never found the D pin extractor (well found some but none fit) so I just resoldered the other side (due to flipping the pins  ::) :'( :-[ )

Got one of these beautys on the end now epoxied up nice :) (with a 13 pin connector of course!)
For anyone soldering these 13 pin connectors if you trim the pins so that from the outer to inner they increase in height makes it a sh** load easier to do the job!

gearhound22

Quote from: Elantric on July 13, 2011, 10:50:33 AM
Its important to note that many (BUT NOT ALL) of the "cheap ebay 13 pin cables" which say "For Roland 13 pin systems" - are actually Clarion or Kenwood Car Stereo CD changer cables  - and have the WRONG WIRING!

A real Roland 13 pin cable will be wired "1 to 1" for all 14 electrical connections (pins 1-13+round metal Ground shield = 14 connections)  at both ends.

Most Clarion or Kenwood car stereo CD changer cables do not use this wiring!!

More details here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2137.0

and note the "Wrong" connections used in "Clarion or Kenwood car stereo CD changer cables " here:
http://image.pinout.net/pinout_13_pin_files/connector_pinout.php?image=Clarion_C-Bus.gif&pinout=

Buyer beware.

I got this one sometime ago and I was always suspect but pin to pin and the ground seems ok...any other thing to be worried about??

admin

Some third party cable either

A) do not lock in place

Or

B) have locking plugs that refuse to unlock

Many use DIN 14 male plugs designed for one time locking  use by car stereo installers. As the cable was primarily designed for Kenwood automotive remote CD disk changer

gearhound22

Quote from: admin on January 15, 2022, 04:05:07 PM
Some third party cable either

A) do not lock in place

Or

B) have locking plugs that refuse to unlock

Many use DIN 14 male plugs designed for one time locking  use by car stereo installers. As the cable was primarily designed for Kenwood automotive remote CD disk changer

Just tested and seemed to work ok  :)
I flipped the orientation of my jacks back so I wasn't useful before, I guess I have another cable!

admin

Elantric

Quote from: Heffy on November 06, 2023, 07:50:02 AMI was getting a lot of glitches. They included Notes not responding and other digital artifacts. I've eliminated 99% of them by thoroughly cleaning the contact ends on all of my cables. I used pure medical-grade alcohol for cleaning first on all of the pins, inserting and removing multiple times from the sockets on both the guitar and the GR-55. Then I used Caig D100L followed by Caig G100L, both with the brush applicators. I purchased Micro Applicator Brushes from Amazon to clean each pin after each application and very closely followed the directions for both Caig products. To say I've noticed a difference is an understatement! I'm able to track much faster. The dropouts are virtually nonexistent. The differences are mind-boggling! If you haven't tried it, it's worth it. It's eliminated all of the frustrations that I've had, especially during live performances. Even my old $14 Amazon off-brand cables work like a charm!

au2002

Hello!
Я выяснил что причина треска и шума кабеля - очень плохое качество экрана.
Со временем проводимость экрана нарушается. Особенно около штекеров и малейшее шевеление вызывает сильный шум.
Решить эту проблему можно если взять какой нибудь гибкий тонкий провод, обмотать им по всей длине наш кабель и припаять концы к земле штекеров.
То есть - параллельно экрану припаять другой провод и тем самым дублировать экран.
Я так сделал и произошло чудо. Кабель стал лучше нового. Абсолютно пропали шорохи, шумы и трески, и общее качество сигнала с гитары очень улучшилось.
Пишу на русском. Ниже автоматический перевод.

I found out that the reason for the crackling and noise of the cable is the very poor quality of the screen.
Over time, the conductivity of the screen breaks down. Especially near the plugs and the slightest movement causes a lot of noise.
You can solve this problem if you take some flexible thin wire, wrap it around the entire length of our cable and solder the ends to the ground of the plugs.
That is - solder another wire parallel to the screen and thus duplicate the screen.
I did so and a miracle happened. The cable became better than the new one. Absolutely no rustles, noises and cracks, and the overall quality of the signal from the guitar is very improved.
I write in Russian. Below is the automatic translation.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Elantric

^^^

QuoteGK-13 Interface Top things to know / Re: GK 13 pin Cable Maintenanc...
Last post by au2002 - Today at 04:18:51 AM
Hello!
I found out that the reason for the crackling and noise of the cable is the very poor quality of the screen.
Over time, the conductivity of the screen is disrupted. Especially near the plugs and the slightest movement causes a lot of noise.
This problem can be solved if you take some kind of flexible thin wire, wrap it around the entire length of our cable and solder the ends to the ground of the plugs.
That is, solder another wire parallel to the screen and thereby duplicate the screen.
I did this and a miracle happened. The cable is better than new. Rustles, noises and crackles have completely disappeared, and the overall quality of the signal from the guitar has improved greatly.
I write in Russian. Below is an automatic translation.

Currently the best GK 13 cables are from
PrimovaSound GK 13 cables
http://www.primovasound.com/cables.html

Higher Quality, Excellent Right Angle GK 13 Plugs, and best prices , Fast Shipping - check inventory

Cable lengths and options
Type  Length  Connectors
GK05-SS  0.5m/1.6ft  Straight - Straight 
GK1-SS  1.0 m/3.3ft  Straight - Straight 
GK3-SS  3.0m/10ft  Straight - Straight 
GK3-SA  3.0m/10ft  Straight - Angled 
GK3-AA  3.0m/10ft  Angled - Angled 
GK5-SS  5.0m/17ft  Straight - Straight 
GK5-SA  5.0m/17ft  Straight - Angled 
GK5-AA  5.0m/17ft  Angled - Angled 

au2002

Quote from: Elantric on January 11, 2024, 05:17:29 AM^^^

Currently the best GK 13 cables are from
PrimovaSound GK 13 cables
http://www.primovasound.com/cables.html

Higher Quality, Excellent Right Angle GK 13 Plugs, and best prices , Fast Shipping - check inventory

Thank you. But it's impossible to buy it from Russia now.

Elantric

Thanks for describing the problem with stock Roland GK13 cable ( many here do understand its short comings) , and how you implemented a solution