GR-55- Suggestions for Ambient Guitar Sound for GR-55?

Started by The Musician, September 19, 2015, 11:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Musician

I've had the GR-55 for several years, and it still continues to amaze me with what types of tones I can create and discover either by myself, or by accident. But there is one particular sound that I want to create, and it's getting an ambient sound for either clean or crunch uses. For the crunch type, I was aiming on using it more towards a song by Rush called "The Pass". During their Rio performance, it sounded like Alex Lifeson added some ambiance for the verse sections.

Has anyone tried making an ambient guitar sound using the GR-55? I would love to hear some suggestions, and maybe some instructions, on how I could achieve this. I appreciate those who reply back to this!

DreamTheory

I am not sure if this is the kind of ambient you are looking for, but my patch "Cave Troll" has tons of white noise with sort of a windy feeling.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11466.0

Needless to say big reverbs and huge delays are a place to start. Then I would choose a hissy sounding PCM tone, experiment with (increasing) the resonance and filter (high pass may let more white noise through).

ADSR parameters might be set with big, slow sound in mind:

Attack and Decay: higher value, slower note fade in and fade down to sustained volume
Sustain: set to taste, but I suggest rather lower than the attack
Release: set this very high, so notes fall slowly into space and smear into one another

You could go for a mellowe ambience by using a sine wave type PCM tone and low pass filter. Maybe combine the two.

Don't forget the potential of the models, either, Crystal synth for instance can be quite spooky

If you want ambient with guitar sound only and no PCM tones, I would suggest selecting the model most like your guitar and globbing on vast delays and reverbs, maybe mess with super filter and EQ. Then use your normal pickups without the globbed on ambience, and you can vary the blend between the two to go from laser sharp to utter oblivion. Maybe assign the VOL pedal to the model volume and/or effects, depending on how you want the ambient sound to trail off. It might be cool to assign the delay parameter to the GK vol knob, so you could turn it up to infinite or back off after hitting the note. All depends on how you play.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

The Musician

Quote from: Dream_Theory on September 20, 2015, 06:09:18 AM
I am not sure if this is the kind of ambient you are looking for, but my patch "Cave Troll" has tons of white noise with sort of a windy feeling.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11466.0

Needless to say big reverbs and huge delays are a place to start. Then I would choose a hissy sounding PCM tone, experiment with (increasing) the resonance and filter (high pass may let more white noise through).

ADSR parameters might be set with big, slow sound in mind:

Attack and Decay: higher value, slower note fade in and fade down to sustained volume
Sustain: set to taste, but I suggest rather lower than the attack
Release: set this very high, so notes fall slowly into space and smear into one another

You could go for a mellowe ambience by using a sine wave type PCM tone and low pass filter. Maybe combine the two.

Don't forget the potential of the models, either, Crystal synth for instance can be quite spooky

If you want ambient with guitar sound only and no PCM tones, I would suggest selecting the model most like your guitar and globbing on vast delays and reverbs, maybe mess with super filter and EQ. Then use your normal pickups without the globbed on ambience, and you can vary the blend between the two to go from laser sharp to utter oblivion. Maybe assign the VOL pedal to the model volume and/or effects, depending on how you want the ambient sound to trail off. It might be cool to assign the delay parameter to the GK vol knob, so you could turn it up to infinite or back off after hitting the note. All depends on how you play.

I'm just mostly looking for a big reverb type of sound that just echoes across without getting the delay sound itself. I have been experimenting with using Analog Delay and setting the Reverb time to 10 seconds at max, and I'm liking the results so far.