I own all the Roland GK gear

Started by Bill Ruppert, July 27, 2015, 06:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

I own all the Roland/Boss GK gear.
Gr-300, Vg-88, Vg-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-300.
The VG-99 is still miles ahead of all of them.
Sorry
Bill

Elantric

I have
SC55
PMA5
JX3P
SE50
GM-70
GR-30
GR-33
VG-8EX
VG-88
VG-99
GR-55
GP-10
RackVax Electric
Antares ATG-1
Line-6 JTV59
Line-6 Helix
Line-6 Firehawk FX
Kemper Toaster
Axe-FX II +
Headrush

I play the GP-10 the most at recent gigs where size matters, and Antares ATG-1 for Song writing, due to to its stellar Alt Tunings.

But nothing else does what the VG-99 does!

(and Nothing else does what the VG-8EX does)

Headless68

+1  Bill
I have owned them all and nothing replaces the 99 yet - I would love an updated version with current reverb and pitch shift technology in though :-)

aliensporebomb

The 99 is the king all right.  It's been 7 years and it still can produce sounds that surprise.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Nobulusprime

I'd agree with that ref the VG99. Keep coming back to it, selling SY300 to the violinist in the band...
I pick up a GR1 a few months back, they're fun especially with manual tweaking of cut off, reso and attack etc. The pitch to midi on the GR1 is about the best I've had especially when using my Mac, it just goes to show not that much has improved over the years  :)

alexmcginness

Love the 99 so much I bought a second one. I have a VG-88 and a GR-55 but the 99 still does the job.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

pasha811

Bill, I agree 100% and I wish I can learn to use it 20% of how you use it! :-)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Frank

Quote from: Elantric on July 27, 2015, 06:31:45 PM

+1

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on July 27, 2015, 06:31:45 PM

+1
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

supernicd

As a creative studio tool, I agree, it's the most powerful guitar processor I own, hands down.

For gigs, I'm using the GP-10.  For me, it does what I need for live shows in a smaller, sturdier, easier to set up/tear down/replace-if-accidentally-damaged package.  I do miss the tactile control the VG-99 offers at a live show, and especially the global EQ, but I can get by without it.

For me, I find sound design on the GP-10 and the GR-55 easier/more natural than the VG-99 (using PC-based editors, the VG-99 kicks everything else's butt for ease of programming standalone).  Sound design on the VG-99 is like a whole different paradigm that I can flirt with but definitely haven't mastered like some here have.

The GR-55 opens up a sonic palette that none of the other units offer but it has idiosyncrasies that make it challenging for live use -for me anyway.

I am essentially agreeing with you but I like the other GK units too.  Different tools for different jobs, I suppose.  I'll keep them all.  :)
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

CodeSmart

Even though I'm a newbee compared to most of you other guys here (bought my first GK abt. 4 years ago) I starting to find myself having a pile of  things. GT-10, GR-33, GR-55, VG-99, GP-10, SY-300. Actually I don't know why...but it's fun :-) And now when the three kids have left there's more time and money to buy stupid things, be stupid, play and have fun  ;D
Aging has it's up-sides too!!!
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

mbenigni

Quote from: CodeSmart on September 24, 2015, 03:44:45 PM
Even though I'm a newbee compared to most of you other guys here (bought my first GK abt. 4 years ago) I starting to find myself having a pile of  things. GT-10, GR-33, GR-55, VG-99, GP-10, SY-300. Actually I don't know why...but it's fun :-) And now when the three kids have left there's more time and money to buy stupid things, be stupid, play and have fun  ;D
Aging has it's up-sides too!!!

Let me guess - the GR-55 group buy reeled you in?  That was like the VGuitar gateway drug!  :D

I got off to a late start so I'm dealing with the double-whammy right now: old and chasing a kid around the house.  :)  Can't complain about the kid (understatement, am smitten); would prefer not to be so damned old LOL.

Elantric

Suggest read
Codesmarts first post here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8743.msg62688#msg62688
He performs in Sweden and  a good lead guitarist too

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on September 25, 2015, 07:36:07 AM
He performs in Sweden and  a good lead guitarist too
Ha-ha, where do you dig up all your stuff  ;D
Nevertheless, I did the hours required.
Some people say "you are so lucky you can play the guitar",
It's not about "luck". It's the hours you put into in. We all know it.
When I was young I spent many hours every day, many years.
When I got older and after a 15 year pause and kids left, all the backbone hours spent in the youth payed back. Just grabbed the thing and after a couple of months, back on track.
Not better playing but "different". And Steve, you play really good :)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!