The FTP: My View (Warning: Very Critical Post; Dainty Sensibilities Beware)

Started by Now_And_Then, April 27, 2013, 02:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Krebs

chrish

I've been reading a lot of the old threads lately to help me with a decision on which pitch to midi converter to buy in order to replace my mis-behaving and aging GR-50. I'm staying with pitch to midi until a new generation of sample based HRM tech hits the market. I've decided to test the FTP with the intention of using usb to midi to control hardware synths, but i don't wish to purchase a usb host convertor until the pitch to glitch tests are completed, so like the OP, my only option is to use an old computer running an unsupported OS, in my case windows ME. It has a midi out via an Ardvark pci sound card, but after reading this old thread i wondered if there had been some update, so i checked the FTP web site. Short answer is, any hardware computer that has midi ports and of course usb, will see the FTP reciever only as a midi device. The FTP software may not be supported however so a currently supported os will still be necessary in order to set up the unit. Also, used ftp can be sold and re-registered for a fee. So, fishman must have heard these concerns that the op (and most likely others) raised and took action. I'm hoping that this unit performs well because it's time to cut the GK cord for pitch to glitch. 

GuitarBuilder

I based my choice of OS on the ability to connect to the highest resolution interfaces with the lowest latency.  Right now that is OS X.  I have nothing against Windows, but the performance is simply inferior at this moment in time.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

whippinpost91850

chrish

Yes, i read (elantric's post on a recent thread) that the mac's drivers are faster than windows with the FTP. I expect the lantency to be slower with windows but would  that also apply to glitch performance? Maybe this setup would not be a fair test.  My other choise was to purchase a gp-10 with one of codesmart's midx usb host to midi units however, from what i have read, the FTP is still the gold standard for pitch to midi. It seems as though the FTP would have the best performance for use with hardware synths by just skipping the computer and using a  usb host to midi device. Is that assumption valid?  Not ready to go down the mac or pc softsynth rabbit hole just yet as i enjoy all the lights, dials and buttoms on the hardware units and there are many 'outdated' ones on the market that sound great. And in keeping with the theme of the thread, I've also seen performers so locked into their computers that they look like kids walking down the street totally focused on their iphones. Some of the live ambient performers even tell their audiance to shut up (no clapping just sit for an hour) until they're done with their set while they focus on what the  computers are doing. Play a note or two and back to the computer. So if i ever want to gig again, i'll have to use the studio set up's from the hardware synths and engage  the audiance, just as before when i used go from table to table and play or, one time at a highschool reunion gig, our bass,sax, guitarist guy, lead a latin jazz conga line, that's were the energy comes from.  i wonder what an ambient music conga line would look like? :-)

aliensporebomb

I also agree with the lower latency assessment of OS X.

The biggest problem of trying to use something like FTP (current hardware) with an old Windows ME computer (older hardware) is that the software has minimum requirements that are very likely not going to work on the ME system. 

A newer system is going to provide better performance anyway since ME was around in the pre Core2Duo days and there have been several generations of better and more capable processors/motherboards and system bus designs since those days.   It's a different world and with the computing world moving to SSD drives we're starting to see that old stuff is just like dinosaur days compared to now. 

As far as live ambient music goes, I don't even use guitar synths - just heavily processed guitar via VG-99 into a looper. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

shawnb

Quote from: chrish on June 25, 2016, 10:47:30 AMIt seems as though the FTP would have the best performance for use with hardware synths by just skipping the computer and using a  usb host to midi device. Is that assumption valid?

Yep.

For a long time, I was very strongly against computers, mainly due to fear of issues.  But I like a lot of flexibility & would bring a ton of gear around (at one point I regularly used a VG-99, a GR-55 & an RC-300...).   

Then I got sick of all the floorspace and setup time.  Got an FTP, & ran my FTP & mono guitar straight into my laptop, using 100% guitar & synth processing there.  Basically only having a laptop & a foot pedal.  Early results were problematic, but since I found an extremely stable vst host (Usine Hollyhock 2) I've been extremely happy. 

I've written a lot of handy utilities - complex modulation, etc. - that I cannot replicate without the laptop.  So I've gone 180o on this... 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

musicamex

Although i have enjoyed the FTP in my studio,  I still feel, both  from the standpoint of having the gear and ability to be consistantly spontaneous,  i prefer the roland vg88 or vg99 at a gig.  I have never tried the gr55 but suspect it would be pretty spontaneous too.  At least for grinding out the classic rock for the margarita crowd, the roland gear has been rock solid with patches i could use right out of the box, or easily tweak or in the case of the vg 99, modify with as much technology in the programing as a guy like me can get his head around.

The fishman tracking is great, but also in that regard,  the 88 and 99 always keeps up with what we are playing.   Maybe allot will change when i get my FC1,  but i know i have allot to learn and to program to be able to play like i do now.  Especially open tunings with slide.  So far the FTP, for me, is not at all like switching from one car to another.  More like learning to fly after driving a car to me.  Flying has that added 3rd dimension and of not being restricted to a road and better speed, but it takes more than an ignition key for that first solo.....thanks to all of the seasoned, patient flight instructors here, i am determined to get my FTP  wings.

chrish

''As far as live ambient music goes, I don't even use guitar synths - just heavily processed guitar via VG-99 into a looper.'' unquote: i had the chance to check out some ambient music video's and one of your (ASB) music poped up, something about 'dust king'. Can't remember the title. Anyway, very nice music. You certainly can get a lot of different sounds out of the vg-99. I also saw a jeff pearce (?) ambicon video and that guy really knows how to include his audience. He engages the crowd and faces them while he plays. No computer screen fixation at all. Wouldn't it be cool if the audience somehow was involved with the ability to add sound textures to the music? Maybe with motion controllers as the ambient conga line moves along :-) or while dancing or yoga or ti chi. Jeff had them hum the opening drone, kind of the ambient music version of a audience sing along.