Using FC-1 to control Boss SY-300 possible?

Started by lumena, January 05, 2017, 02:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumena

I have been using my tripleplay and my sy-300 together and I would like to simplify and interconnect them. I would like to be able to switch patches or use on expression pedal to control events on both at the same time. I have been looking at lots of solutions but before I jump into a standalone midi controller I am wondering if anyone using an FC-1 has tried to use it to change parameters on the Sy-300.

So any thoughts you have about this or a better solution would be helpful to me. Simple is best and the fewer parts the better.
L>

BBach

Are you planning to use your setup live without a computer ? If you plan to use the FC-1 as the sole source of midi control, you will be limited to three foot switches and one expression pedal. These are set globally for all patches on the FC-1. If you use two of the foot switches to send program changes, you are left with one foot switch that will toggle between a value of 0 or 127 of whatever CC message you set in the FC-1 setup and one continuous expression pedal transmitting  the CC message of your choosing. The SY300 can be programmed to have as many of six parameters controlled by a single CC message with the min and max ranges assignable. Basically, you would need to reprogram every patch that you plan on using in the SY300 to conform to the FC-1 rather inflexible control options. You would also have to set the tempo of the SY300 to internal because I don't think the Triple Play generates midi clock if you want to take advantage of the note sequencer and other tempo based effects. The problem with that is that the beginning of the measure will not be obvious and tempo based stuff will be difficult to use effectively.

lumena

Thanks for the quick reply...

I am trying to avoid buying extra gear that will sit at home. I will probably be using the tripleplay with a computer most of the time but thought the option to not use a computer would be nice. A good scenario would be to be able to set up patches easily and use an ipad as a synth source.
Either way it sounds like using the FC-1 with the Sy-300 would be better with the Sy-300 as the master and the FC-1 as the slave. I really wish fishman had more detailed info on the FC-1 on their site. I will keep looking through the info that is there and try to clear this up.