After 1 year... really happy with FTP but.... brass still SUCKS!!!

Started by Papablosky, May 21, 2016, 06:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papablosky

Hello folks!

First of all I'd like to share my satisfaction using FTP for my musical needs. We are rock band, no keyboard player, so I wanted to play every piece of synth and I did the job quite well. Strings, ethnic, pianos, organs, etc etc etc.

But I'm stuck with brass... I've spend a few bucks on VST's and tried a lot of different kinds.

After a few months of testing, I decided to work with Fable Sounds Brass, Sessions Pro and a cheesy trumpet which allowed me to change Octaves without bugging me like the rest...

BTW.. Mac user Mavericks 9.5, 8gb ram 256 SSD Kontakt player 5 and the amazing keith macmillen's softstep2 as a foot controller.

My problem is that I still can't make brass sounds 100% right... sometimes it goes out of tune and my band look at me like saying WTF!!! but I know I didn't mess up, it was the FTP which "misunderstood" the note...

Ok let's be honest, I'm not Frank Gambale kind of player but I'm not a sloopy guitarist... So I figure  it was my technique which was affecting FTP sound.

Indeed.

If I play 100% articulated I have almost no out-of-tune notes but It takes the vibe out when you´re playing live because you don't wanna mess it live.

So I was wondering if there is any trick or tweak in order to get more "space" to play brass. Most of vst's I dont have any problems...but fast licks using brass are a Pain In the back....

Thanks in advance.

Pablo.

Elantric

If I wanted to nail a Trumpet-like sound live - id use my GP-10 and one of Ainsoph's brilliant GR-300 or Brass patches.

jbone1313

If your VST has an envelope, try turning the decay, sustain, and release down to zero. Then, turn up the decay to taste. This works brilliantly for me when playing my Prophet-6.

Papablosky

Quote from: Elantric on May 21, 2016, 10:30:06 PM
If I wanted to nail a Trumpet-like sound live - id use my GP-10 and one of Ainsoph's brilliant GR-300 or Brass patches.

Yeah, I've though using hardware synth... but I still wanted to know how to tweak FTP software in order to avoid "out-of-tune" notes... That's my main concern nowadays...

thanks for your input

Papablosky

Quote from: jbone1313 on May 22, 2016, 06:14:04 AM
If your VST has an envelope, try turning the decay, sustain, and release down to zero. Then, turn up the decay to taste. This works brilliantly for me when playing my Prophet-6.

I'll try that tomorrow! thanks!

Do you have "out of tune" notes sometimes? I'm starting feeling I'm a sloppy player! :P

Thanks!