Firmware updates to premium products during an economic recession?

Started by Elantric, July 15, 2011, 02:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Regarding the status of possible future Firmware updates this year for existing Roland products we discuss here at VGuitarforums,  It might be good to review Roland's recent Business Performance by market segment report here:

http://www.roland.com/ir/financial_category.html

and 2011 financial results
http://www.roland.com/ir/pdf/2011FinancialResultsandDividends.pdf

As it reveals a significant drop in expected profit, due to the Japan Earthquake, Parts procurement problems, and lackluster sales of Boss pedals and multitrack recorders compared to a year ago.

QuoteIn the Electronic Musical Instruments Business, strong demand is expected mainly in emerging countries such as
China and Central and South America. Nevertheless, owing to a shortage of supply of products stemming from
uncertain parts procurement after the earthquake, net sales are expected to be flat year on year, and as for profit
and loss, operating loss is expected due to factors such as the deterioration in the rate of factory operation caused
by a decrease in production.

QuoteFor synthesizers, although such new products as battery-powered shoulder and mobile synthesizers contributed to sales and sales were upbeat compared to the previous consolidated fiscal year in Japan, Australia, and Brazil, sales of core products fell significantly, especially in North America and Europe.

In terms of electronic drums, sales of new low-end electronic drum products remained robust, both in Japan and overseas, and sales were up greatly year on year in Australia and Brazil. Despite these bright spots, however, sales of electronic drums were down overall, due to poor sales of mid-range and high-end products in North America and Southeast Asia. As a result, net sales for this segment fell by 25.8% year on year, to ¥18,364 million.
Guitar-related equipment    For guitar effects, sales of new mid-range multi-functional guitar effects were robust, and in Australia and Brazil they exceeded the sales of the previous consolidated fiscal year, but overall sales of guitar effects were down, due to factors including sluggish sales for large lineup of single-function compact guitar effects, especially in Japan. In the multi-track recorders category, a series of multi-track recorders also fell substantially, due to the impact of the contraction of the market. As a result, net sales for this segment fell by 23.6% year on year, to ¥9,018 million.
Home electronic musical instruments    Sales were robust for new digital piano products with the new SuperNATURAL Piano sound engine, which went on sale in Japan in the second half of the consolidated fiscal year under review, and sales for this category also increased year on year. The Company also focused on electronic accordions as a new business field, and sales grew in each local market. Nevertheless, the significant impact of reduced sales of digital pianos and electronic organs due to weak consumer spending, especially in North America, resulted in decline in net sales in this segment by 19.9% year on year, to ¥9,628 million.
Professional video, professional audio and computer music equipment    Sales of Computer music category increased as a result of adding a music-production software maker (Cakewalk, Inc.) as a new consolidated subsidiary. Sales of low-end music-production systems packaging software and hardware were also robust. Overall computer music sales, however, were sluggish, due mainly to declined sales of portable recorders caused by intensifying competition. Sales of video and professional audio equipment were down, due to reduced capital investment by broadcasters and other corporations. As a result, net sales for this segment fell by 17.5% year on year, to ¥5,714 million.
Others    Sales of products including sound engine for online karaoke machines and revenues from music schools declined. Overall net sales in this segment were down 18.2% year on year, to ¥2,760 million.

No doubt today's real unemployment rate of 22.7 % here in the USA is contributing to the overall lackluster sales of Roland Products in North America.

[source]
http://usawatchdog.com/real-unemployment-rate-2011/

Roland US recently teamed with GE Capital to provide 12 months - no interest loans for Roland gear (subject to credit check)

http://www.rolandus.com/go/ge_money/

In tough economic times like these, Roland Japan (who designs all the products) will be responding by re-prioritizing and re-tasking its limited engineering workforce to focus on creating brand new lower cost gear (with reduced feature set), to generate new sales revenue in the lower cost product market segments, as a response to today's cash strapped world economy.
I'm of the opinion they are not in a position today to place those same engineering resources creating new firmware, or adding new features to existing premium priced products with declining sales like the VG-99, VB-99 during a global economic recession.
Remember this is the same company that decided to cancel creating a GR-55 Editor and not adding a 1/4" Normal Guitar Input jack on the GR-55, deeming these too costly. Apparently lack of these items has not deterred the extremely high user demand and robust sales the GR-55 has been experiencing since its release this year.
The Roland Corporate Financial Officers call the shots, and I reluctantly agree their decisions have proved to be the smart decision.

The GR-55 is a hit, as reflected in the significant growth rate of www.VGuitarForums.com this year (We've more than doubled our numbers to (effective July 2011) to over 4000 members !)

Ever since the GR-55 was announced at Winter NAMM show in mid January 2011, we are growing at a rate of  250 (average ) new members each month. The good news,  key people at each Roland distributor around the globe are silently observing and paying attention to our discussions, and this will influence the direction of future products.   

I can only hope this will benefit us all with new improved products that effectively raise each of our personal expectations of what a guitar can sonically achieve in the 21st century. 

But to be honest, I would not hold my breath waiting for a possible future VB-99 or VG-99 or GR-55 firmware update during the present economic conditions.

Hopefully our collective luck will change for the better - and very soon!

germanicus

This reflects my conversation with Rolands Director of Sales Strategic Accounts at the gr55 clinic I attended in D.C. recently.

He basically told me that domestic sales of the vg99 were terrible, and they thought it was just too expensive for the market. Gr55 is the new model for price point and degree of feature set.

He didnt rule out a new vg product, but reading between the lines I wouldnt hold my breath. I love the vg99, but I would also wager that for a majority of those guitarists looking to get a VG/GR product, the gr55 feature set and price point makes much more sense. I think the dual modelling chains in the vg99 is fantastic and groundbreaking for many, but overall how many guitarists use that?
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

whippinpost91850

THE PREMISE THAT IF WE MAKE IT CHEAP ENOUGH THEY WILL COME IS SILLY. CONSIDERING ALOT OF LIVE PERFORMERS WILL FIND THE PATCH DELAY ALONE,UNUSABLE.

whippinpost91850

Didn't mean to be so negative in my last post. i'm loving alot of the capabilities of my GR55, but am finding the work around for the patch delay alone to be more expensive then, paying a little more for a more live usable unit. I don't know maybe It's just me.  I just like things (not neccessarily easy)to work

germanicus

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on July 15, 2011, 11:03:12 AM
THE PREMISE THAT IF WE MAKE IT CHEAP ENOUGH THEY WILL COME IS SILLY. CONSIDERING ALOT OF LIVE PERFORMERS WILL FIND THE PATCH DELAY ALONE,UNUSABLE.

Its not silly if they lose money as a result of the vg99 'kitchen sink' method and decide to dump that division.

I would much rather have roland playing smart with market demands than ignoring market pressures and then completely folding their guitar synth development department as a result of losing their ass on a product. Roland for all its faults, has been the torchbearer. I gotta hand it to them for that, and they continue to try and push new tech (ie why the V-Link is included on the vg99 and gr55 - an attempt to push the integration of sounds and live video). Id rather have better alternate tuning performance or quicker patch changes than V-link, but I dont think their resource consumption is equivalent.

Just look at how many companies have stuck their feet into the water of guitar synths and are either no longer in business or gave up on it (this is regardless of how good their products were)....

yamaha....
axon...
K-Muse photon...
Gibson (shadow system)...
Parker (MidiAxe, their onboard midi conversion guitar)...
G Vox...
Casio...
IVL...
Korg...
Zeta...
Passac...
Optek...

Roland is really all there is in terms of a robust live playable setup of this stuff at the moment.
Not much else out there. Sonus mono midi converter and the Keith McMillan stringport. Everything else is vaporware or out of production.

Dont get me wrong id love a vg100 with two modelling chains AND 2 onboard pcm synths with updated COSM everything and crazy effects routing. Id pay a large deal for it as well. But Im (we) are very much in the minority im afraid.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

MCK

Great analysis and views extended in this thread. In the software world bugfixes & maintenance releases are a cost element while new version upgrades are a potential profit generator. I suspect similar thoughts apply here for Roland. I can understand the relative diminishing of the higher end market for a VG99 follow-on and I can understand the lack of enthusiasm for free software updates.

There could be two ways out of the rut that I can see. One is to opensource the code and I'm pretty sure this will not happen given the propriety nature of the technology at hand and how it would possibly clobber the potential future product ranges from Roland.

The other option is to make chargeable updates. I for one would not mind paying a yearly subscription to receive a reasonable updates and a guarantee for bug fixes. This could at the very least enable Roland to keep funding 1 or 2 engineers to be allocated to the VG99 firmware updates.

Elantric

QuoteThe other option is to make chargeable updates.

I would pay for a VG-99 update.

Roland did something similar back in 1996 for the Roland VS-880 V-Studio.

They charged $100 for a VS-880-S1 "System Expansion Kit"update that was available from Roland, only as a Iomega ZIP Disk which contained the new firmware update.

It forced me to buy a Iomega SCSI Zip drive for another $179

http://web.archive.org/web/19970615031127/http://www.rolandus.com/products/MI/MIprod_PA.html#VS-880-S1

The problem is that in 2011, Roland Corp in the USA will not update their web server to support secure sales cart for software downloads - and they figure they will only sell 20% of the potential new "VG-99 Version 2.0 update " sales - before free bootleg copies show up on the Torrent sites.

---

The VS-880-S1 extends the recording, mixing and editing power of the revolutionary VS-880 Digital Studio Workstation. New VS-880-S1 features include auto mixing functions, new effects such as a COSM-based Microphone Simulator, and expanded recording and sync features.

Features:
New Auto Mixing function records and plays back comprehensive mixing data in realtime without the use of an external sequencer
New COSM-based Microphone Simulator faithfully emulates the characteristics of classic microphones and can even simulate the effects of mic distance from sound source
New mixer Snap Shot mode allows for changing effects and mixer settings in realtime
10 new effects algorithms with 100 new presets:

Voice Transformer
    Mic Simulator
    19-band Vocoder
    Hum Canceler
    "Lo-Fi" Multimedia Sound Processor
    Space Chorus
    Reverb with "gate" and "ducking" modes
    Space Chorus
    4-band Parametric EQ
    10-band Graphic EQ
    Vocal Canceler

New effects insert and routing options including master inserts for using EQ and compression on the entire mix; 2 simultaneous reverbs
Simultaneous playback of six tracks recorded in MASTER mode
New easy method for recording w/ EQ and effects
Enhanced disk drive functions including disk reliability check and disk repair
Sync Track/Tempo map generation from marker points
Improved editing features with locate point buttons; new Shift Lock mode
Effects selection and parameter adjustment in realtime via MIDI

Here's a long time VS-880 user who makes good use of the "VS-880-S1" update

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/01/a-stunning-live-performance-on-rolands-1996-workstation-vs-880/

MCK

Hah. I recall the zip drives. Sunk so much money into so many similar dead end tech... Oh well. You are right of course as usual. Good thing VG99 has so much to offer that I have yet to master!

whippinpost91850

I'ld pay for a GR55 update. Too bad a few bad apples might spoil it for everybody.

aliensporebomb

Sure I'd pay for an update - heck I've done it before.

I've still got my Roland VS-840 which I was able to turn into a VS-840EX by using a software update on ZIP disc Roland produced - I think it was about $55.
I still use it for effecting and routing my analog guitar rig (Boogie StuPre + Lexicon + TC gear) using its digital out into my computers' digital in.

That being said - I'd be EXTREMELY leary of updating a $1400 piece of equipment using an illegal download from a torrent site - brrrrr, no thanks!  Legit all the way.
You need to have recourse from a manufacturer when it's a piece of gear you rely on and use to run your music business.

Face it - things are tough all over.  That earthquake in Japan just being one problem.  My previous day gig was IT in the securities industry.  Around 2005 I moved to IT work in the real estate sector just before it blew a gasket and things got very bad - I don't really know if things will ever go back to the way they were but I do admit the VG-99 is an expensive device - it can do some spectacular things and it can do some things that other devices have probably eclipsed it some.    But most of the guitarists I know are not using this type of setup - they've got a Strat or a Les Paul and a Fender or Marshall amp and some pedal effects.  Or a more modern guitar and some type of low to medium priced modeler.

But I'm not "most guitarists" (link to footage from most recent gig):

-Yes the market is in a down economy. 
-Yes these are specialty devices that are expensive (the GR-55 less so but still a fair chunk of change).
-Yes, guitarists are arch traditionalists who don't often explore the far out reaches of sound but mine well worn "safe" paths.
-Yes, many guitarists are often seeking out the guitars and gear their musical heroes played.  Only a handful of "names" seem to play the VG-99.
-Yes the guitarists who would buy a VG-99 would have their hands full exploring the box just as-is.

But in some ways Roland has itself to blame for the poor sales:
-Little to no marketing in music magazines for the VG-99.  What marketing there was didn't play to the devices' strengths.
-The two ads I did see poorly illustrated the product capabilities and I didn't actually even think of buying one until the Premiere Guitar article plus Bill Ruppert's samples.
-The display kiosks I've seen for the VG-99 were only briefly operational.  Just long enough to make me go "yeah, I want one".
-One was pulled out of the store I was trying it out in two summers ago and was never returned to the sales floor.
-That same kiosk started to exhibit display screen problems (not the VG-99 but the little video display that shows the capabilities with little buttons that played segments
of the video) so maybe that's why but...
-The other had a partially-functional GK cable and I would often find the kiosk and VG shut off or a salesperson pushed a half-stack in front of it so you didn't even know
  it was there.  You had to look for it.

I always had before made sure these things were on and working and I'd sometimes demo the stuff while in the store but it's sort of a futile errand. 

As far as the GR-55 - that device does appear to have a lot more interest and notoriety than the VG-99.  The marketing appears more spot-on and just finding one to buy is difficult since the demand is still there.  I don't rule out getting one at some point but I'd actually consider getting a second VG-99:  I want to run four paths of COSM audio
at some point with my custom patches.

But maybe the market finds it a tough sell to push a product with a several year learning curve?  Most players don't have the patience.

I've pretty much given up on the software update of old but if I can illustrate the nylon guitar hysteresis problem maybe they'll fix that one. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

tekrytor

First, Kudos Ion Man for posting your lovely spatial immensity! Let's get ethereal! Shades of Kitaro, Gilmore and Eno.

I second the paid upgrade option. Around 1985, I paid Roland $ 17 plus postage for an official EPROM (remember those) upgrade for my GR-700 (remember those), which provided significant performance improvment. I would gladly pay for factory upgrades and that is one reason why I believe in Roland. Their customer service has always treated me like a rock star despite my much lower position on the food chain. I think they take us musicians, pro and amateur, seriously. They also know many of us are lifelong buyers, like cars, we may not but every year, but when we so make a major purchase, they want to be the one. Their products are always at the top of my wish lists because they know what I want and they treat me right. Times may be bad, but Roland will be there for us, trying as hard as they can in a very tough environment for then too.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

cynegetic

While I lave the 99. Because of their lack of support I will not buy another roland product unless the sound if out makes me wet my pants.

I mean jeez the can't even update their editor to reflect the changes in the last firmware update from how long ago?

Vgunn

Quote from: cynegetic on July 16, 2011, 04:41:33 PM
While I lave the 99. Because of their lack of support I will not buy another roland product unless the sound if out makes me wet my pants.

I mean jeez the can't even update their editor to reflect the changes in the last firmware update from how long ago?

Do they even make an editor?   I thought the editor was something created by a user-fan?

cynegetic

aliensporebomb

Yes, the official editor works well.  The 55 is the unit that had a fan created editor.

Re: Germanicus' quote about the Roland staffer who said the sales of the VG-99 were "Terrible".
How many of these did they sell I wonder?  <10,000 surely?  <5,000?  Anyone have a ballpark figure of VG-owners who signed up on this board prior to the GR-55 release?

How many people took advantage of the group buy?  Just to get an idea of what RolandUS figures was "terrible".

Elantric

The VG-88  had a User created Editor.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=20

With the VG-99, we have a post called "Top things to know"
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13.0

which describes the requirement to toss away the Factory VG-99 software CD that comes in the box, because everything on it is stale.

With the VG-99, they released firmware 1.04 in December 2007 within 6 months of 1st release, which ALL VG-99 USERS NEED TO VERIFY THEY ARE USiNG VG-99 VERSION 1.04 !

If your VG-99 is still using an earlier version, you will not be able to load any patches we have here. With VG-99 firmware 1.04 , Roland rewrote the internal structure of everything, which means you must use VG-99 Editor and Librarian Version 1.01, and not version 1.00 which is on the VG-99 software CD.

VG-99 Editor and Librarian Version 1.01 must be downloaded.

For a while there were no Win7 drivers, but that changed.

Today there are downloads available to run the VG-99 on many operating systems with an Editor and Librarian that are 100% effective with the latest VG-99 firmware 1.04

But none of these are on the VG-99 software CD.

kenact

Quote from: germanicus on July 15, 2011, 12:00:02 PMJust look at how many companies have stuck their feet into the water of guitar synths and are either no longer in business or gave up on it (this is regardless of how good their products were)....

And don't forget Fender, who has stopped production on their Squier Strat Midi Controller/Guitar.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

audiotrax

Here's my 2 cents:  I still wish they would come up with a full-featured GI-20 style MIDI only guitar interface with the GR55's form factor.  Just the MIDI out - no sounds or modeling.  It could be much cheaper than the '55 but still have significant interest for the guitar to MIDI crowd.  Let's face it - soft synths and samplers rule these days for recording.

If it's at all possible come out with another JUNO 60 type all analog synth for the common man.  If someone is interested in a hardware synth, I think it's what everyone wants. Not another piece of hardware based on modeling. Please Roland take an example from the hideous failure that the hi-end Jupiter 80 is.
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Elantric on July 17, 2011, 07:34:13 AM
The VG-88  had a User created Editor.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=20

With the VG-99, we have a post called "Top things to know"
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13.0

which describes the requirement to toss away the Factory VG-99 software CD that comes in the box, because everything on it is stale.

With the VG-99, they released firmware 1.04 in December 2007 within 6 months of 1st release, which ALL VG-99 USERS NEED TO VERIFY THEY ARE USiNG VG-99 VERSION 1.04 !

If your VG-99 is still using an earlier version, you will not be able to load any patches we have here. With VG-99 firmware 1.04 , Roland rewrote the internal structure of everything, which means you must use VG-99 Editor and Librarian Version 1.01, and not version 1.00 which is on the VG-99 software CD.

VG-99 Editor and Librarian Version 1.01 must be downloaded.

For a while there were no Win7 drivers, but that changed.

Today there are downloads available to run the VG-99 on many operating systems with an Editor and Librarian that are 100% effective with the latest VG-99 firmware 1.04

But none of these are on the VG-99 software CD.

I wonder if the VG editor/librarian software will operate on Mac OS X Lion which should be out in a few days - I'm a little reluctant to update until I hear it's okay..

Elantric

I'm holding off updating to Lion too. I expect many issues with all my hardware until new Lion OSX drivers are released.

Jim Williams

Regarding firmware updates, when you pay this much for a product you should expect updates. If you buy software you get updates when you register right? Even microsoft Windows updates and microsoft is the most money hungry corporation that I can think of. If hard times are to blame for companies giving us garbage for way to much money it is time for us to raise our voices louder and louder and force corporations to give us our money worth. I work hard for my money and I expect that I get what I pay for. My VG-99 and GR-55 are very good units but what I paid for them, I have paid for updates and I want what I paid for. We are all being ripped off by the fat cats sitting in plush corporate offices, forcing us to except meritocracy while they get rich off the sweat off our backs.

I feel the need to modify this post I was rather harsh and I may have rambled a bit....I still believe that the cost of a product should include updates. This is my opinion and in no way do I wish to stop purchasing Roland products, I still believe they are the best gear out there. I am sorry if my other thought offended anyone.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

whippinpost91850

Having previously run a business for 18yrs, I don't know that I would go quite that far, not everyone running a business is getting fat;but when there are obvious problems that show up in "the real world "I feel they should be addressed.
  I just spent another $225 (ordered RJM Y-not) to do a work-around for the MIDI switching mute/delay. I'll post my finding once I get it and see If it at least solves this problem.

Elantric

QuoteI just spent another $225 (ordered RJM Y-not) to do a work-around for the MIDI switching mute/delay.

And how is the "RJM Y-not" going to solve the GR-55's patch change Mute delay?
http://www.rjmmusic.com/ynot.php

Describe your signal flow.

Instead I use a Line6 HD500. Feed the HD-500 Input from the GR-55 Guitar output.

Feed the GR-55 Output to the HD-500's stereo Loop Return, and use the HD500 to change all patches and to kick the GR-55 in & out of the signal path, using its switched Stereo FX loop.

whippinpost91850

I use an Egnater IE4 (midi channel switching)preamp to a PV tube power amp to a 2-12 cab for my reg guitar sound. By running a cable directly from my guiar to the Y-not to my Preamp in , I will be able switch channels with no delay or mute my guitar when only the GR55 alone is in use. I think I will also be able to switch my 2 inline pedals in line as well. I'll run a seperate MIdi cable directly to my preamp,bypassing the GR55 ,ergo avoiding the delay 8). I think I said that right. I'll try and post video on line once I get it set up.

whippinpost91850