GK-3 in strat case?

Started by Tape, January 18, 2014, 06:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tape

I'm in the process of buying a external GK-3 to fit on my deluxe american strat, and so far I've encountered two potential problems:

a) the space between the strings and the pickguard is ~1mm too short

b) will the whole thing fit in the case?

I've seen that the first one has been addressed in some threads here, and I'll probably be able to handle it one way or another, but it's the guitar case one that worries me. So does anyone have any experience with this?

DeRigueur

Yes, fitting it into the case is a problem.
I bought a used keyboard case off ebay and glued in some foam padding.  Some have suggested using a case for an archery bow.
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

OldGuitarDude

Hi Tape,

I have a Fender "American Fat Strat " (2 SD Humbuckers) that came with a Fender molded case (not the rectangular one). I have no problem with the GK3 fitting in there. Didn't have to mod anything. I changed out the entire pick guard assembly and installed a set of SRV Texas Twisters. Had the same issue with the hex pickup being too close.

There are probably otherer options, but these are all I'm aware of so far:

1) Replace the pick guard with a thinner one (there are ones out there).
2) Use a dremel (or files) to cut a notch in the pick guard so the hex pickup will sit on the guitar body
3) Tip the neck back a very small amount and raise the bridge (either shims or the adjustment screw, if equipped).

I chose option 3 and it works fine for me. The easiest option would probably be #1, which I didn't know about when I did mine....

hth,

OldGuitarDude