GK-3B PU Distance?

Started by vakmere, February 18, 2011, 05:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vakmere

This may  not be the correct thread however being I have a Warwick Thumb 6 string and the pickups are angled to where the GK3B pup wont have room between the bridge and the bridge pup, can the 3B be placed between the basses pick-ups without concern?

Zummooz

NO.....I don't think so...pretty sure it has to be within 20mm of the bridge.
That seems to far away where your thinking of putting it !

Sorry....up to 50mm on the bass Check the manual for this.
The  Fact  Is......"We  are  all  tactile  creatures  &  physical  interaction  has  always  been  a  big  part  of  making  music"

neophytte

Quote from:  vakmere on February 18, 2011, 05:16:41 AM
This may  not be the correct thread however being I have a Warwick Thumb 6 string and the pickups are angled to where the GK3B pup wont have room between the bridge and the bridge pup, can the 3B be placed between the basses pick-ups without concern?

You may want to see if there is an appropriate bass doohickey as I posted in this thread: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3200.0

GK-3B needs to be within 50mm from the bridge.

Cheers

Richard

vakmere

So, thats just under 2 inches. I may have to us a different bass then.

neophytte

Thanks for moving it, Elantric!

You can post a pic of your bass bridge/pickup arrangement - I'm sure there are a heap of ideas here!!

Cheers

Richard

pjmuck

I've seen pictures of basses that had a GK3B mounted in the middle of the bass. No telling what kind of performance guys were getting out of it, however.

It might work despite the 50mm rule, but you may need to adjust various parameters beyond the normal setup (i.e. sensitivity, etc). Doesn't hurt to try it, just make the mounting of the GK3B temporary with scotch tape or something. I don't forget to report back your findings!
Live gear:

Boss GM-800
Boss GKC-AD
Boss Katana Artist 100
Fender Mustang GTX100
Roland GR-33
Liquid Foot Jr. midi foot controller
Boss EV-5
Godin LGX-SA guitar (lefty)
Line 6 Variax 500 guitar (lefty)
Carvin LB50 w GK3B

fabzx

I've had the same problem....
Proud owner of a 6 string fretless thumb....
I've taken the hard way and decided to make room for the gk3b(with internal kit) that i use moving the bridge pickup....
i've put it close to the neck pickup with the help of a skilled lutherie shop ...
the sound is beautiful as ever...i've found that the bridge pickup is even more usable now...something along the musicman side...
don't have a photo now...i'lltry to post one tonight

Gastric

I personally have not noticed any difference in performance between having my GK at 20mm or 35mm from the saddles. However, that's still under the 50mm the manual states. Just sharing in case that gives you hope you can install it wherever it'll fit for you. :)

gumtown

I had this sudden crazy idea, if there is no room for the GK-3B pickup, how about this idea..

Mount the pickup over the top of the strings by turning the pickup over upsidedown, and using something like one of those chrome string covers (like the vintage fenders or ricks have) to mount the pickup onto.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Gastric

Very out of the box idea. Nice!

Elantric

Yes this could work - but mounting the PU upside down , you would need to work out the inverted PU radius issue. Could compensate by having dramatic different string sensitivities for each string. since strings at the extreme edges will be further away from the inverted PU pole piece .