SEARCHING here using Google

Started by notnomiistakes, September 20, 2010, 09:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notnomiistakes

Another way to search here - I found this on Google.  It's not perfect.  Even clicked on advance search and pasted vguitarforums with not much help.

From Google Help
http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=136861
To search within a specific website (site:)
Google allows you to specify that your search results must come from a given website. For example, the query [ iraq site:nytimes.com ] will return pages about Iraq but only from nytimes.com. The simpler queries [ iraq nytimes.com ] or [ iraq New York Times ] will usually be just as good, though they might return results from other sites that mention the New York Times. You can also specify a whole class of sites, for example [ iraq site:.gov ] will return results only from a .gov domain and [ iraq site:.iq ] will return results only from Iraqi sites.

(sample search)    fender:vguitarforums - and then click search or hit enter

Any better ideas to find things here?

paults

Yes! This is a great way to search for patches that also contain MP3 demos.

Step One:

(enter this)      *.mp3:vguitarforums

And.....you only get ONE result.  

BUT! Look below your results, Where it says:

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 1 already displayed.
If you like, you can

Step Two:

Click on: "repeat the search with the omitted results included."

You'll get links to the patches that include a sound sample :)

notnomiistakes

paults
I tried your method in google and it came up with many after I clicked on "repeat the search with the omitted results included."  The reason I brought this up was because if you type in something in the SEARCH box here on the website it can be frustrating to find something.  Next time I need to locate something I'll give your way a try.  Just a couple qs for ya what does the * sign do?  Is it just for file extensions or all searches on google?

Elantric

Anytime you want to search here at vguitarforums, be sure to click to the Forum Home page first, (click Home on upper left ) then enter your search terms in the search box on upper right, then click on the small magnifier glass icon on the left of the search box

If you omit these steps, the search is rather useless here.

notnomiistakes

Quote from: Elantric on September 22, 2010, 09:10:57 AM
Anytime you want to search here at vguitarforums, be sure to click to the Forum Home page first, (click Home on upper left ) then enter your search terms in the search box on upper right, then click Search.

If you omit these steps, the search is rather useless here.
I typed in fender today and it worked perfect as you suggested.  I typed in fender as a sample search for this post on the day I posted and nothing came up.  very weird.  try chicci.  she is an 8 year old girl that plays ventures surf guitar tunes.  I searched for her and nothing came up here so I tried chicci:vguitarforums at Google  and it found two on this site.  I only am suggesting this when you can't remember where it was.  Just an added tool to help you find things.  The other day I typed in l tool and nothing came up.  today I tried 'gk3 tool' in the search box and there it was. But only one.  Then I tried google and nothing came up there either.  I just want to find a better way to locate things here.

paults

The asterisk is a "wildcard" in a search. 

"*.mp3" searches for text that contains the phrase ".mp3," with something immediately before it.  If you search for just "mp3", it doesn't look for the "dot".   

It wroks at the end of a word, too.  If you search for "synth" you just get that result.  Searching for "synth*" gives a result that includes all words that begin with synth (synthaphobia, synthetic, synthesizer, synths, etc).   

notnomiistakes

Quote from: paults on September 22, 2010, 03:28:54 PM
The asterisk is a "wildcard" in a search..................
I'll give it a try next time thanks!