VG-99 - Controller double assignments and conflicts prevent operation

Started by ktat, March 22, 2008, 07:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warblingotter

Sorry but I don't know what you mean. No controllers assigned? Really appreciate your help. Ps I found the hold and it's off

Brent Flash

Quote from:  warblingotter on November 29, 2012, 03:42:50 PM
Sorry but I don't know what you mean. No controllers assigned? Really appreciate your help. Ps I found the hold and it's off
What I mean is there is not controller assignments on. The GK VOLUME, FC-300 controls are all off so nothing can be controlled in the patch with controllers. Also it came up with PATCH LEVEL set at 8 so I am not sure what to do with it. Sorry!

Brent Flash

warblingotter

Will try patch you sent to me in the morning. Does the patch I sent to you work ok on your system?

Brent Flash

Quote from:  warblingotter on November 29, 2012, 03:52:53 PM
Will try patch you sent to me in the morning. Does the patch I sent to you work ok on your system?
No not really, I am trying to fix it now to get it to sound and assign controllers but I don't really know what you want to have control it so...

Brent Flash

Here is your patch with the amps turned on and the controllers for volume turned on. I tried not to mess with anything else.

warblingotter

I just want to be able to select it using the ctl buttons on the guitar, which I can do ok, to get the sound I want and the volume I want, which I can do today, but to then revert back to the previous patch with the correct volume and not the volume just used. Ie patch 1 has vol=100 patch 2 has vol=8 when I go back to patch 1 From patch 2 it now has vol 8 unless I just nudge the volume know a little. Does the same on both of my guitars.

warblingotter

Will try both your patches tomorrow am in the uk and let you know how it goes. Many many thanks for the Excellent support

warblingotter

??? Well I have donloaded and imported both of the patches you have sent me and I still have the same problem on BOTH patches you sent.

Summary:
I have around 30 patches now installed and they all work on my VG99 and both of my guitars. I have set the initial patch volume to what I need in all of them. When I select them they come incorrectly at the right volume and they can be adjusted from the Volume control on my guitar. I still have the problem with the BREAKFREE patch and indeed the same problem with the ALLRIGHTFREE patch you sent to me. Basically whatever my initial volume is set to in the patches BREAKFREE and ALLRIGHTFREE, in the case of the BREAKFREE patch a value of 8, my volume control on the guitar will not go any louder then this value. I can go less but not louder. I am now at a total loss. It has to be a setting somewhere so where do you think it could be. I am assuming these 2 patches work OK on your setup?  so it must be a setting outside of the actual patch that is causing my problem. Any advice would be welcome.

aliensporebomb

I recently downloaded some patches myself and they didn't sound anything like the mp3s involved - it turns out that for some reason - for a short period of time every patch I downloaded turned the filter on and then closed the filter so everything sounded all muddy and weird.  Once I shut the filter off everything was normal but boy that was odd. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

warblingotter

Just thought I would add this if it helps. Why is my patch volume set to 8 you may ask since all my other patches that work are set to 100 or thereabouts. It's because when I set it to say 100 it is so loud it blows your mind. I need to change to 8 in order to get it inline with all my other patch volumes. Maybe this could have something to do with it. What do you think? How could I change the settings so that the overall patch value is 100 but at a lot lower volume?

warblingotter

If anyone else would like to import the breakfree patch and see if they experience the same problem as me regarding the volume issue I would be most grateful.  :-*

Brent Flash

Quote from:  warblingotter on November 29, 2012, 04:14:50 PM
I just want to be able to select it using the ctl buttons on the guitar, which I can do ok, to get the sound I want and the volume I want, which I can do today, but to then revert back to the previous patch with the correct volume and not the volume just used. Ie patch 1 has vol=100 patch 2 has vol=8 when I go back to patch 1 From patch 2 it now has vol 8 unless I just nudge the volume know a little. Does the same on both of my guitars.
OK, I guess we are just having a little trouble communicating. The VG has so many parameters that do about the same thing I think we are not talking about the same ones. For one thing, I do not use PATCH LEVEL to adjust volume I use FOOT VOLUME (in the FX section) or GTR LEVEL (in the COSM GUITARs), all of my PATCH LEVELs for my performance patches stay set at 100. There are also MIXER LEVELs for A and B that could be used for volume. I thought at first that you just had two CONTROL ASSIGNs set to the same target and that was limiting the amount you could raise your volume but now I see it is much more complicated than that.

Another thing I think we are not on the same page with is what ASSIGNs you are using. I now think (since you posted your patch with no CONTROL ASSIGNS set to ON) that you are using the SYSTEM/CTL ASSIGNs and not the CONTROL ASSIGNS so we need to get on the same page before I can help you. If you are using the SYSTEM/CTL ASSIGNs those do not get saved in the patch so I do not see them since they are not included with the patch you post.

ASSIGN HOLD is something that gives a lot of users trouble and what you have told me so far you should turn that off so that when you recall at patch it will recall with the volume you have set and saved with the patch.

So, I can only help you if you tell me what control assigns you are using to adjust volume and what targets you have set for these control assigns. Also are you using the SYSTEM/CTL/GK/GK Volume Knob or the CONTROL ASSIGN/GK/GK Volume Knob assigns? In addition to that, are you using an FC-300 and do you have any of those controllers targeted at any volume parameters?

Quote from:  warblingotter on November 30, 2012, 05:16:27 AM
Just thought I would add this if it helps. Why is my patch volume set to 8 you may ask since all my other patches that work are set to 100 or thereabouts. It's because when I set it to say 100 it is so loud it blows your mind. I need to change to 8 in order to get it inline with all my other patch volumes. Maybe this could have something to do with it. What do you think? How could I change the settings so that the overall patch value is 100 but at a lot lower volume?
You can change the volume of a patch all through the signal path from the GUITAR LEVEL, FX LEVELS, AMP LEVELS, and MIXER LEVELS. These should be set using the CHAIN area of the VG-99. In this area there are meters that show if you are clipping any stag of the signal path. If the gain structure looks good throughout the signal path then just turn the MIXER LEVEL down in the mixer. This will then allow you to turn up the PATCH LEVEL. Hope this helps!

mapperboy

Hey VG-99 Gurus,
Is there an easy way to diagnose just where the other Control Assignment which results in a Double Assignment being thrown on the Control Assign menus?
I'm trying to use a Roland EV-5 Expression pedal assigned to simply function as a Wah Pedal Position control to a number of exiting dddddpatches.
On some patches, even though the Control Assign for Exp is set for example to FX(A) Wah Pedal Position, the pedal is acting as a switch when I go to the Fx(a) menu and look at the Pedal Pos indicator.  In other patches it seems to act correctly and go from 0 - 100 when going from heel to toe.  I can't find any other parameter which would cause the pedal to act as a on-off switch.
The other question relates to patches which have no apparent Control assigns to start, and when I apply an assignment to the Exp for Fx(A) Wah Pedal Pos it immediately reports Double Assignment on the screen.  How can I locate the other assignment?
Jazzy Cheers to all,
-Mike
"No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time. Go!"
- Henry Rollins

Elantric

Then its easy, use the VG99 Editor Control Assignments page review for conflicts.

mateomasfeo

I have had my VG99 a couple of years and have never successfully assigned anything correctly to my FC-300.  I keep getting referred back to the Owners Manual which I guess I don't understand.

What I can't seem to grasp is a very elementary function of any pedal - On & Off.  Last time I tried this using the FX Mod 1 phaser effect assign to the CRL 1 of the FC300, but when I step on Control 1 the phaser it sounds nothing like the Phaser I set up in the patch.

So I have really never been able to do a Patch with an assignment, so it remains in the studio - laughing and taunting me.

Wish there were more "How to's" on YouTube - I am a show me kind of dumbass!

Some of us are just not smart enough to own one, I guess...

Apologies to the original poster for the hi-jack, but I keep hoping someone will come along someday and show me the way in a way I can understand...Hell, I'll give you my number...
Dances with Sheep on SoundCLoud

https://soundcloud.com/dances-with-sheep

sixeight

Here is a quick rundown how to make the assignment to switch the MOD1 block on and off with CTL-1 on the FC300:

1)  press CONTROL ASSIGN button
2)  press the page buttons and go to page 5
3)  press the F5 button to select CTL1
4)  turn the encoder above F3 to switch the assignment ON
5)  turn the encoder above F4 to select [A] FX
6)  turn the encoder above F5 to select MOD1
7)  turn the encoder above F6 to select MOD1 SW
8 )  press page up and checkif the settings are: OFF/ON/LATCH
9) press page up again and repeat steps 4 to 8, but now for [ B] FX. This way both MOD blocks are being switched

And FC300 should be in sysex mode.
I hope it will work now.