Midi Mouse - minimalist, small, lightweight patch changes

Started by carlb, June 11, 2014, 04:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlb

Thanks to Steve's table of foot controllers, I found the Tech-21 Midi Mouse and tried it out today.

It's small, lightweight, and dirt simple to setup and operate.

Setup: Connect the Midi Mouse to the VG-99's Midi-In socket with a 5 pin Midi cable. Put a 9V battery in the Midi Mouse. Done. No programming needed.

Works superbly for swinging up and down through patches via stomp switches. What I have been doing for the past 5 years by turning back to my rig and twirling the VG-99's patch wheel. Much nicer now.

Question: Doesn't the VG-99 provide phantom power via pins three and one of the 5-pin Midi Connector? The Midi Mouse is wired for phantom power, but no go with the VG-99.

Even battery powered, things aren't bad. The Midi Mouse shuts itself off between footswitch stomps. So a battery can last for a good, long time.

Here's the Midi Mouse with my rig. Sebastian is stoked thinking the mouse is the type he likes. He lost interest seconds later.

gig rig by cbmn, on Flickr
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Elantric

QuoteQuestion: Doesn't the VG-99 provide phantom power via pins three and one of the 5-pin Midi Connector? T

No  - All  Roland Gear with 5pin DIN MIDI jacks simply have standard MIDI pinouts - no phantom power.

carlb

Ah. I wonder if there's something between 8Vdc to 15Vdc internal to the VG-99 that I could bring over to the MIDI-In jack ...

No problems with soldering or crimping ...
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Elantric

QuoteAh. I wonder if there's something between 8Vdc to 15Vdc internal to the VG-99 that I could bring over to the MIDI-In jack ...

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28.0;attach=965

carlb

Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

sixeight

Quote from: carlb on June 11, 2014, 05:57:30 PM
Ah. I wonder if there's something between 8Vdc to 15Vdc internal to the VG-99 that I could bring over to the MIDI-In jack ...

Here is another way to get power over a midi cable without soldering inside the VG99:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=783.0