Has anyone ever tried aguilar bass amps to use with GK-55

Started by mikeowen17, February 03, 2015, 01:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeowen17

I have a tone hammer 500 and SL 112 which I use for bass - I was wondering if anyone tried a similar setup with the GK-55?

Been reading a ton of threads on here and couldn't find any mention of this rig. Would love to use it (either together with or in place of my Dr. Z guitar rig) to get the most out of the GK-55 which is on its way to me!

......and the key plus point is, I already own it so no additional gear purchase necessary!

The SL 112 cab specs are as follows:

One 12" cast frame woofer, 7 oz. neo magnet
Phenolic tweeter with integral phase plug
Custom crossover with variable tweeter control
Power Handling: 250 watts RMS
Frequency Response: 37 Hz - 16 kHz
Sensitivity: 99.9 dB 1W 1M
Impedance: 8 ohms

And the head specs:

Power Output: 500 watts into 4 ohms, 250 watts into 8 ohms
Preamp Section: Solid State
Power Section: Class D
Transformer: Switching mode power supply (SMPS)
Drive Control: Fully adjustable, featuring Aguilar's proprietary AGS(adaptive gain shaping) circuit.
Effects Loop: Series operation. Adds 6 dB of additional gain, making it useful for a broad range of effects units.
Inputs: One 1/4" input jack, compatible with all active and passive basses
Speaker Outputs: Two Neutrik Speakon speaker outputs
Balanced Output: XLR balanced output with pre/post EQ and ground lift switch
Cooling: Two high quality whisper fans with thermal speed control

Elantric

QuoteI have a tone hammer 500 and SL 112 which I use for bass - I was wondering if anyone tried a similar setup with the GR-55?

I'm rather positive you will have great results using an Aguilar Bass Amp for the DSP Guitar Modelers we talk about here.

If you are a soloist - no worries.

However, If you perform with an ensemble that includes a separate Bass Player in your band   - Just be mindful to cut the lower frequencies on your GR-55, to avoid colliding / crowding the lower Bass Region of the audio frequency response curve and leave room for your bass Player. 

Read more here:
Best Amplifier recommendations for Guitar Synth / Modeling systems
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9484.0
Human hearing range is 20-20Khz frequency response.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range

The best amplification systems will have flat response 20-20kHz freq. response speakers and lots of headroom(= watts!) , to support the VG/GR Synths.

A good test for any amp is bring your  iPod and play back some of your favorite pre-recorded music you know  well - and see how that translates on the AMP under review.

If you only do electric guitar modeling then a system with 80-8kHz frequency response works, but Acoustic guitars , Synths , BAss,work best with flat 20-20kHz  frequency response.

Old school "pre 1980s" Bass rigs had 30-8kHz range, modern bass rigs with HF Horn tweeters extend this range to 20kHz 

mikeowen17

Thanks - yes, I play with a full band so will be sure to cut the lows as you suggest.

Would be great if I can get a good sound out of it as it avoids the need to shop for additional equipment.

Another question - would 250W be sufficient for a band? We are neither particularly loud nor particularly quiet!

Elantric

QuoteAnother question - would 250W be sufficient for a band? We are neither particularly loud nor particularly quiet!
Should be fine

Fusion

Comparable specs to what I run but I have more high end range, but should kill. Got to love the wattage.
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."