VG-88 V2 - Can you use without MIDI pickup? Also can home user change battery?

Started by curt3260, March 25, 2016, 11:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curt3260

I have an opportunity to purchase a VG-88 V2 that's in great shape.  However, it does not come with MIDI pickup.  I plugged in and seems to work but what functions will I not have if I just use it with the 1/4 inch output of guitar to Roland VG-88 box?  I realize that I will not be able to blend regular guitar but am I missing other stuff?

Also, it says battery needs replaced.  Is this something a home user can do and if so is there anything I need to know?

Thank you all!!

Elantric

Without the hex PU  - a VG-88 V2 is similar to a Line-6 POD or Boss GT

No Alt Tunings, no Guitar modeling - but you can use the FX, COSM Amps  / Cabs. and VEditor
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12574.0

curt3260

Thanks you for the information Elantric!  I appreciate it. I have a couple other questions related to battery.  As I mentioned, my unit says "battery low".  I ASSUME that when the battery goes, my custom patches are gone right? Same happens if I have battery changed by a dealer or can they backup?  Perhaps my most important question is this: When battery goes out or is replaced, Ver 2 is still intact, right?  Just lose my patches I assume.

Thanks for your patience and sharing your knowledge with a newbee.

Elantric

The internal battery is  for your VG-88 User patch data (stored in Static RAM) , as this type can be edited and rewritten swiftly

The V2 firmware is stored in Separate  EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Read Only Memory) and V2 upgrade will be retained even if internal battery fails

To save your patches, You should make a MIDI Sysex Backup dump ASAP (this is NOT the responsibility of a repair shop - you WILL loose all your user patches if you or a repair shop removes the battery, 

Since you are already getting the Low Battery error message, your VG-88 internal battery could fail any minute.

Get it replaced soon

==

Roland Corporation U.S.
5100 S. Eastern Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90040-2938
Customer Service Tel: (323) 890-3700