Roland Cube GX Amps (Compare to old Cube 80 XL)

Started by Elantric, June 28, 2013, 09:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

New Roland Cube GX Amps with IOS connectivity
http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=cube-80gx&_cldee=ZWxhbnRyaWNAZ21haWwuY29t

Versatile Stage/Studio Amp with iOS Connectivity
Building on the top-level tone and rock-solid reliability that's made the CUBE name famous, the all-new CUBE-GX series turns up the heat with even more versatile operation and connectivity for Apple's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

CUBE-80GX
Guitar Amplifier

Versatile Stage/Studio Amp with iOS Connectivity

Building on the top-level tone and rock-solid reliability that's made the CUBE name famous, the all-new CUBE-GX series turns up the heat with even more versatile operation and connectivity for Apple's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The flagship CUBE-80GX packs a punch with 80 big watts of power and a custom-designed 12-inch speaker, delivering first-class performance in a compact amp that's ready for the stage. 11 COSM amp types and three independent channels—including a fully programmable SOLO channel—put a huge range of tones at your command, with remote control of channel switching, effects, and more via the optional GA-FC Foot Controller. i-CUBE LINK takes practice and mobile recording to a new level, providing a simple onboard audio interface for working with music apps on your favorite iOS devices.

80-watt guitar amp with custom-designed 12-inch speaker
    Three channels: JC CLEAN, LEAD (with 10 different COSM amp types), and SOLO
    SOLO channel is fully programmable, allowing you to save and recall amp type plus EQ and effects settings
    Three independent effects sections: EFX (five types), DELAY with tap tempo, and REVERB
    Hands-free channel switching, effects on/off, and more via GA-FC Foot Controller (sold separately)
    i-CUBE LINK jack provides simple audio interfacing with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (interface cable included)
    Free CUBE JAM app for iOS plays songs and minus-one jam tracks, and lets you record the CUBE-80GX's COSM amp tones along with music playback
    Three-band EQ plus PRESENCE control; built-in chromatic/manual tuner

Gig-Ready Dynamo

Equipped with 80 watts of power and a custom-designed 12-inch speaker, the CUBE-80GX is a pro-level combo amp for stage and studio, with rich and dynamic sound, integrated effects, and plenty of volume. For recording sessions or more sound coverage in larger venues, use the convenient LINE OUT and/or RECORDING OUT jacks to send mix-ready, studio-quality tones with COSM speaker modeling directly to the mixing board. The RECORDING OUT jack doubles as a PHONES jack and mutes the onboard speaker, perfect for silent practice at home or backstage. Built with legendary CUBE construction standards for rock-solid reliability, the CUBE-80GX is compact, easy to transport, and prepared to withstand the rigors of the road.
COSM Amps and Three Independent Channels

The CUBE-80GX features a wide range of COSM amp types and three independent channels for maximum tonal versatility. The JC CLEAN channel provides the renowned clean tone of Roland's famous JC-120, while the LEAD channel offers ten different amp choices, from blackface clean to Brit overdrive to the original EXTREME amp for massive, high-gain metal riffs. A third SOLO channel is completely programmable, allowing you to store all settings from either the JC CLEAN or LEAD channel, along with EQ and effects.
Top-Quality Effects and More

With three independent, easy-to-use effects sections, the CUBE-80GX puts a full arsenal of top guitar processing under your control. The EFX section offers five different stompbox-type effects, while the dedicated DELAY section has two different delay types and a TAP button for quickly setting delay times. REVERB is included as well, with your choice of vintage spring emulation or a studio-style plate. The CUBE-80GX also features a chromatic/manual tuner, built right into the amp!
Powerful Performance Control

The optional GA-FC Foot Controller is the perfect partner for the CUBE-80GX, with six footswitches for selecting amp channels and turning effect sections on/off. It's also equipped with two expression pedal jacks for foot control of input and master volumes. Setup time is lightning fast—the GA-FC requires no AC power adapter, and connects easily via its included stereo ¼-inch cable. Remote channel switching on the CUBE-80GX is also possible with optional BOSS FS-5U or FS-6 footswitches.
i-CUBE LINK: Built-In Interface for iOS Devices

Onboard the CUBE-80GX is Roland's innovative i-CUBE LINK interface, which lets you integrate with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using a real guitar amp with great tone. Unlike typical bulky and inconvenient iOS guitar interfaces, i-CUBE LINK connects to your device's audio jack quickly and simply with the included cable, providing two-way communication with your favorite music apps. With i-CUBE LINK, you can play along with music tracks and send studio-quality COSM guitar tones with effects straight into the recording app of your choice. The versatile i-CUBE LINK jack can also be used as a simple stereo input, enabling you to plug in nearly any music player or audio device and play it through the CUBE-80GX.
CUBE JAM App: Powerful, Fun, and Free!

Available for free from the App Store, the Roland CUBE JAM app turns your iOS device into a fun command center for jamming, recording, and learning. Play back commercial songs and minus-one tracks through the CUBE-80GX via i-CUBE LINK and riff along for hours with the amp's great COSM tones. CUBE JAM also records audio through the i-CUBE LINK connection, letting you capture your jams with a single touch. After recording, you can adjust the volume of your guitar and backing music independently in the app, then export your mix to a 16-bit, 44.1 kHz WAV file. CUBE JAM also includes powerful tools for music practice, including independent speed and pitch adjustment of audio playback, Center Cancel to remove solos and create your own jam tracks, and more.

Elantric

My 2 cents - buy the old Cube 80 XL model while you can. The old Cube 80XL actually does more and has important features (Presence Knob,  built in  80 second phrase Looper, 4 voices, External Speaker Out, Line Out that acts as a DI Out that does not turn off the speaker, AC Cord and cord winder ) all are missing on the "new Cube80GX"
Here is the old CUBE-80XL
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1122

Note the presence of an External Speaker jack on the old Cube 80 XL, built in power cord, and cord winder.

And note the removal of this important jack on the new Cube GX

Cube 80 XT manual is a Must Read! 
http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/CUBE-40_80XL_OM.pdf

- It reveals the secret settings that are not obvious.

* the Solo Functions provides Two Alternate memorized knob settings -one for each channel ( JC-120 and Lead) - so its like having a 4 separate amp voices which can be remotely switched.
  You can save and call up the panel settings (those enclosed by the line
in the fi gure) for sounds you create. On this unit, this function is called
"SOLO." This is a convenient way to switch between a backing sound
and a solo sound.
You can save one setting each for the JC CLEAN channel and for the

* The Delay has a mode to specify a short delay time in the range of
90—30 ms. or broad range up to 2000ms

* Looper

* Ability to use Delay and looper at same time.
By taking advantage of the SOLO function, you can use the Looper
function and the delay at the same time.
Normally, you cannot use the delay when the [DELAY/LOOPER] knob is
in the LOOPER position. However, if panel settings that use the delay
are stored in the SOLO function, and you then turn SOLO on, you'll be
able to use the delay while using the LOOPER function.
If you turn the SOLO function on while using the LOOPER function, and
then switch between JC CLEAN and LEAD, you'll be able to record your
performance using the delay settings saved for each channel.

zapantalambda

Hello Elantric. G'day.

I have been scouting for this amp Roland 80XL that you recommend but unfortunately it's like 'finding a needle in the haystack' here in sydney.
Alesis alpha112 is also rare. not really keen for TC helicon bcos it's more like a monitor, not a loud speaker (thats my understanding of the product) There's heaps of Roland 80GX here though but I'm keepin my eyes on the 80XL.

alternatively, i saw there on ebay. are they any good?

ROLAND KC110??
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Roland-KC-110-Stero-Keyboard-amp-/301709234318?hash=item463f45908e

ROLAND KC300 -it was suggested by one of the guys here but change speakers to Eminence deltas. which is going to be a lot of work for me cos i need to buy the amp, buy speakers&tweeters, go to tech for repair etc
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USED-ROLAND-STEREO-MIXING-KEYBOARD-AMP-KC-300-SERIAL-NO-BN56873-/161789408369?hash=item25ab667471

im still keen on the Roland 80XL though vs Alesis ALpha 112. Whats your say sir elantric?

Elantric

in Oz

Alesis Alpha 112A equivalent is known as  Alto TS112A (both are built in the same factory )

A few folks here ( Codesmart) has the Cube 80 GX and likes it.

Where I live Cube 80 GX's are rare.

Quotealternatively, i saw there on ebay. are they any good? Roland KC110, KC-300
IMHO -no.

And be sure to look at the Stereo Roland Cube Street EX
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11600.0

and read Amp threads here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=37.0

Elantric

Finally located a Cube 80GX to compare with my old Cube 80XL.

First off, i find the 12" speaker in the Cube 80GX to be duller sounding, missing the high end frequency response of the 12" speaker in the old Cube 80XL or older Cube 80X.

But for normal straight-up Rock / Blues guitar, the COSM DSP Modeling on the new Cube 80GX sounds like the same COSM DSP algorithm as used in the Boss GP-10 ( which IMHO is still  the best sounding COSM Amp Modeling product sold in 2015 

Yes i have the Roland foot switch for Cube 80GX, which is shared with the old 2011 era Roland GA-212  - which provides a path for remote Pre and post volume control using two Roland EV-5 pedals , which is quite interesting

So final verdict.

Due to their wider frequency range 12" speakers,   the older Cube 80XL (or Cube 80X) feeding their "JC-120 Clean" input channel remains my preferred high wattage Cube Amp for use with third party DSP Amp  / Cab Modelers and guitar synths.

The Cube 80GX has less high frequencies and "duller" sound, which may have benefit of never sounding " harsh and brittle", but instead smoother with punchy midrange for classic electric guitar tones. + the COSM Amp modeling on Cube 80GX is improved  / less harsh compared to the older Cube 80XL (or Cube 80X)   

Elantric

Side note, Ive been playing a new Cube 80GX with my Les Paul, and with the Roland 6 button foot controller and two EV-5 pedals you can dynamically change the gain, distortion  and volume  using the two EV-5 pedals - rather like the GA-212 and this Cube 80GX amp  has a decent Acoustic Simulator, that allowed my stock Les Paul to deliver convincing acoustic tones 

But feed a GP-10 / GR-55 into the "JC Clean channel or feed MP3 / Aux input on the Cube 80, and you have a good small amplification system for the DSP Modeling gear we talk about. I still use my older Cube 80XL live, mostly because  compared to the new Cube 80GX, the speaker in the older Cube 80XL model has a bit wider frequency response with more high frequency clarity for use with Synths.   

The COSM Amp models on Lead channel on Cube80GX can sound a bit "Dull" with no top end, while the COSM Amp models on the  Lead channel on Cube80XL sound much brighter

GlenR

I'm looking at Cube 80's for solo playing of jazz standards as well as big band work. I've been looking at both the XL's and the GX's. I have not had the chance to play either but Cubes have come highly recommended to me. I like the power, size, and for and old guy like me (61) the weight- and no, the 4 pound difference between the XL and the GX is not a factor. I'm not THAT old! LOL

I recently contacted Roland and here's what they sent back:
"Hi Glen,
Thank you for inquiring about our products!
No, the speaker will still be active when connecting to the Line out jack on the CUBE-80GX.
There is a tonal difference between the GX and the XL. Roland reworked the modeling, changed the cabinet design slightly, and the speaker. The GX is also a bit louder and more efficient at higher volume levels.
We hope this clarifies things.
Thank you for choosing Roland and BOSS products!
Kind regards,
Roland Product Support"

I'm totally confused not and would like some input!

XL Likes:
Attached Power cord
Cord winder
No master volume
Looper

GX Likes:
Smoother tone
Better amp models (although I would probably not be using these much- I want this amp for clean tone)
Stays clean at higher volumes
Upgraded speaker
Upgraded cabinet

I have a chance to get an 80XL in mint condition form a guy here for $260. The big band gig starts in a week and I really need to pull the trigger here.

HELP!

Elantric

QuoteI have a chance to get an 80XL in mint condition form a guy here for $260. The big band gig starts in a week and I really need to pull the trigger here.

I say buy the Cube-80XL  and dont look back

Also order one of these too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KoolKats-6-Button-Footswitch-for-the-Roland-Cube-60xl-/381574531941?hash=item58d79d4b65:g:XZEAAOxy3NBSmYeM

I now own all generations (Cube-80X , Cube80XL , Cube-80GX)

The GX COSM Lead channel is rather dull and only gets duller as the gain goes higher, while the older "XL" remains the most punchy and better clarity and high frequencies when needed.

Also with the footswitch above, you can remote select 4 different sounds, as the old XL has a separate clean channel "Solo" memory , and separate Lead channel "Solo" memory     

1 Clean
2 Clean Solo
3 Lead
4 Lead Solo

More info on Cube 80XL here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5077.0

GlenR

Thanks Elantric. Since you own both, what, if anything, do you like better on the GX? I'm kind of thinking that what you describe as a duller less harsh sound might actually be better for jazz...on the other hand the XL would probably be better at cutting through the horns in a big band situation.

Glen

Elantric

On the GX the optional 6 button footpedal is efficient,
Ive been playing a new Cube 80GX with my Les Paul, and with the Roland 6 button foot controller and two EV-5 pedals you can dynamically change the gain, distortion  and volume  using the two EV-5 pedals - rather like the Roland GA-212 and this Cube 80GX amp  has a decent Acoustic Simulator, that allowed my stock Les Paul to deliver convincing acoustic tones 

but the dull GX speaker and  GX COSM high gain Amp sound experience leaves me a bit "meh"

The "improved COSM Amp modeling" on GX might be valid, but the dull GX 12" speaker makes it so you cant effectively hear them.
The GX's  "i-Cube iLink" "iOS iPad TRRS recording I/O jack is a toy gimic  , and too noisy for any use (for same reason the original iRig adapter is worthless as it passes all recorded audio thru the noisy iPad mic Pre)

If you have $300 for an amp today, i advise try the Mustang III V2 if you seek an all in one grab & go amp.

I played a very important $150 a head fundraiser last weekend with a Rock band been playing with for 15 years (Kristen Black Band) - had my choice of lots of gear, but ultimately used my new Reverend Warhawk III 390 into a typical pedal board (Xotic SP Compresser + EHX OD Glove (for blues / Rock solos) + Boss LS-2 ( for clean boost) + Line-6 Echo park into the Cube80XL set on "JC Clean" with all tone controls at mid point , and volume at "3" (9 o'clock), and I got complements from everyone on my great tone with folks amazed it was all emitting from a Roland Cube80XL. I occasionally use the Cube80XL'x built in Tremolo / Chorus / Phaser + Delay and use the footswitch mentioned above for a tap tempo 

I rarely use the  Cube80XL lead channel, as I get better tones and dynamic range use external FX pedals feeding the Cube80XL 's JC Clean channel.

And dont forget the Cube80XL works very well as an amplification system for GR-55 / GP-10 / VG-99 or FTP triggering a Blofeld

Many local jazz cats I know also use a Cube80XL

the Cube80XL's input accepts external FX pedals much better compared to GX and Mustang Amp (both the later amps just squish the signals from an external OD pedal, while old  Cube80XL's JC Clean channel reacts much better, same as Adrian Belews 1976 Roland JC-120

GlenR

I actually owned the Mustang and didn't like it. I found myself spending all my time diddling around on FUSE trying to find a tone a really loved. Never did. In fact, I was spending so much time on the computer my wife forgot my name, my dog no longer recognized me, and one day when I went outside my neighbor asked me if I was new in the neighborhood. I told him I've owned this house for 22 years- and sold the Mustang.

So...I had a chance to try out the 80GX before going to see the guy about his 80XL, and I'm really glad I did. I bought the XL, and as Elantric suggested- never looked back. I much preferred the overall tone of the XL, and for me, the features they removed from the new version almost seemed like a step backwards. As for the tone of the XL- I was easily able to get "the tone" jazz players love, which is exactly what I'll be using it for. It comes very close to the tone I got with a Polytone I bought in the 70's. That amp was problematic though, and once I got to the point where I spend as much on repairs as I did on the amp, it had to go.

I think the 6 button footswitch would be overkill for me. for the gigs I do, I really just need a switch to go from the clean to the lead channel, and maybe one switch for the looper for home use. I do have a question though regarding the non latching or "momentary" switch, as I have never used one. When switching from one channel to the other-is it necessary to keep your foot on the pedal the entire time you're using the second channel? That would seem like a pain.

The 80XL, BTW, was in mint condition. the guy still had the box, and the manual was never even cracked open. He threw in a cover he had for it as well. I feel like it was a steal at his asking price of $260, but ended up doing a straight trade for a Fender Excelsior I had which just wasn't for me. We both ended up happy and no cash spent! It really is a great sounding amp!

Thanks to those of you who replied for all of your help- much appreciated!

Glen

johnnyninja

I'm going to order a Cube gx but I'm on the fence as to whether I'm going to get the 40 or 80. I'm not gigging so I don't need the extra volume, but I've read that some think the 40 sounds a bit boxy. I'm also wondering if the 80 can do low volume as well as the 40. Imlive in a condo  >:(

I like the line out on the 80 because I can set my iLoud on top of the cabinet to round out the sound a bit, but it's not a dealbreaker for me. Any thoughts?

Elantric

IMHO both 40 and 80 "GX" versions sound "boxy"  - they messed up the new speakers - which lack the clarity and high frequencies of the older version.

an older Cube 40"XL" or Cube 80"XL" is more open sounding IMHO.

johnnyninja

Yes, others have said something similar. I would like to have the  latest modeling though. I was going to just get a pa speaker but the sale and rebate that's currently available is tempting.

GlenR

The 80XL sounds great at any volume. I play in a 17 piece jazz big band and the 80XL holds it's own great with no micing. I also use it at home for practice at low and med. volumes and it sounds great in that setting as well. I agree with Elantric regarding the overall sound of the GX series. They changed both the speaker and the cabinet design and to my ears the XL's are much better sounding amps.

By the way Elantric I took your advice and picked up the Kool Kat and love it. I originally bought this amp only for jazz, but I also sub in 2 cover bands and the models sound fine for those gigs. The only pedals I bring to those gigs now are a wah, a rat, and a uni vibe. It's really a lot more versatile of an amp than I realized when I bought it.

I strongly suggest that anyone looking for a cube check out an XL before popping for a GX, and let your own ears be the judge.

Elantric

I have access to a few Cube 80 Amps

* Cube-80X

* Cube-80XL

* Cube-80GX

As an experiment to see if I could get the Cube-80GX to sound brighter and to find out if the Speaker is different , I took my old Cube-80X and swapped out the Cube-80X electronics
and installed the Cube-80GX electronics into the Cube-80X cab.

I discovered all three amps share the same cab design and same 12" Roland Speaker.

The darker sound of the latest Cube-80GX is related to the new DSP Algorithms on the Lead Channel and the new Master Volume knob that is a new feature  exclusive to the Cube-80GX and controls the JC Clean channel too. (older Cube-80X and Cube-80XL have no Master Volume control )

The Cube-80GX is not a terrible sounding amp , it's just not as sparkly as the older Cube-80XL.
It helps if you keep the Master Volume on 10", the amp sounds brighter.

The Cube-80GX would benefit with a speaker swap or a mod to add a Speaker Out Jack , to run an external cab ( like the older Cube-80X and Cube-80XL already have).

But the bottom line is the darker sound of the Cube-80GX is due to the way Roland voiced the electronics of this amp, and not due to a speaker change.

admin

( . )( . )

@ Elantric - Maybe I'll pick up an XL for my ME-80. Have you runs yours through your 80XL?

Elantric

This weekend I should be able to compare all these three amps

* Cube 80XL

* Cube 80GX

* Katana 100

I'll try to compare to Marshall CODE 50 and Vypyr Pro as well

Other Katana Amp opinions

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/new-boss-katana-amps.413082/

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/heads-up-katana-50-in-stock-zzounds.1753102/page-7

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4656438

admin

a few Roland Cube 80GX on display  as Robert Smith's live rig on recent performance  by The Cure

Observe black paint on the roland "CUBE" logo to change it to "CURE"