Electro-Voice ELX112p (an entirely unscientific review)

Started by mbenigni, April 03, 2012, 12:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

I've been looking for a FR monitor suitable for gigging with a GR55, and decided to go with the EV ELX112p, primarily because it was so darned cheap.  :)

Up until now, I've been practicing and rehearsing with a Yamaha HS80, or sometimes a pair of HS80's, and I'm happy with the way these compliment the GR55.  But I need something I can throw in the car or drop on a stage.  I bought a Traynor K4, intended to fill this role, but I never liked the way the cabinet is voiced or the way the preamp seems prone to clipping with even a moderately loud input.  So on receiving the ELX, I set up some switching and tried to compare all three, just to be sure I was happy with my decision.

First impressions of the ELX were really positive:  Aesthetics are top notch IMO, exactly my style.  Simple lines, all black, nice textures.  I can remember loving the SRM450's back in the day, but feeling like a bit of a dork lugging around a hunk of gray and blue plastic. (Sure, for a PA it doesn't matter, but for your guitar set up, well...)  The ELX, by contrast, looks as cool as a guitar amp as far as I'm concerned.  People have complained about the finish being too easy to rub off, and to this point I do wish they'd put feet on more surfaces to reduce wear, i.e. when it's being used as a wedge.  But a trip to the hardware store will take care of that.

Another point in favor of the ELX: it's stupid light for a 1000W cabinet, relatively small and easy to carry, and it balances well as a wedge, whereas so many cabs want to topple over backwards.  (The K4 is particularly bad in this regard, as they basically took a wedge design and then tacked their amp head on top of it, so it's very top-heavy.)  For my purposes, the light weight alone just about wins the race for the ELX.  The K4 is 50lbs and awkward as hell; the ELX is 35lbs and has a more agreeable geometry about it and it's theoretically louder.  (To be fair, the K4 is stereo, which was the main draw for me initially, but ultimately that hasn't proven to be worth the other comprimises.)

Of course sound-wise, things get more complicated.  I was hoping to power up the ELX, compare it against the K4, and immediately be blown away by the improvement.  Instead it was kind of a give and take scenario, and much of this comes to the point that, for best results, you've got to develop tones/patches that suit the speaker in question.  The ELX is much more powerful on paper, but in terms of perceived loudness I'm not sure they're so different.  (There's a baby in the house, so I couldn't do full on blast-testing; I'm just extrapolating based on what I did hear.)  Maybe their respective architectures and classes makes the 1000W vs 300W comparison a bit meaningless.  Anyway they're both plenty loud for me.  Tone and timbre are what I was looking to improve.

The K4 has always sounded harsh and boxy to me, and no matter what I do with its myriad (too many IMO) EQ options, I can always hear the construction of the cabinet itself.  The ELX is more transparent sounding, and has a much wider frequency curve, with tons of bass, but it also has a tendency to sound dark and distant, even a bit "hollow" somehow.  It's almost as if EV has rolled off some top in order to sweeten the tone and perhaps mask some shortcomings in the Class D topology.  Consequently, guitar tones on the K4 are punchier and chimier by default, whereas I have to play with EQ to bring this out of the ELX.  As for that bass, reviewers had complained the ELX might not cut it without a sub.  Well, these were obviously reviews by DJs working big rooms, because for my purposes it's way too much bass.  Again, I have to tweak source EQ to bring this in line.  So there are tradeoffs.  If you want the upper-mid punch, the K4 is arguably better, but this comes at the cost of harshness and flexibility.  If you want deep bass, the ELX absolutely kills it.

Regarding flexibility: Overall, the ELX's wider frequency range and more transparent cabinet voicing led me to believe it would be the more adaptable monitor once I programmed tones to suit it.  Listening to synths and samples definitely bears this out.  Still, testing with the GR55 didn't exactly blow my mind. The next night it occurred to me that I've never been crazy for COSM amp and speaker sims in the first place.  So I ran Guitar Rig into the switch box and here, sure enough, the ELX bass response pays off - everything sounds smoother, more musical, and mid to high-gain tones take on a throaty growl that the K4 just can't cop.

I've complained before about a weird preamp distortion on the K4 and I'm surprised to find that it's present w/ the ELX as well, although to a lesser extent.  It must be that it's coming from the GR55, and each speaker calls it out differently according to its own voicing.  On the HS80, I can barely perceive it at all.  (A classic question with monitors as to whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, but with a speaker in a guitar rig, I just want it sound good and not distract me.)

The HS80 remains the most musical of the three - as you'd expect from a near-field studio monitor - but sitting it next to the ELX calls out the fact that it's a small box and ultimately not capable of much bass.  (I'm impressed that it's kept up as well as it has in band rehearsals!)

Other comments about the ELX:

At high volumes it throws a lot of hiss.  It's definitely not suitable for near field or critical listening.

It has a two channel mixer on the back, which is helpful, but it's weird that there are no detents on the gain controls, especially on the per-channel gains, which are -inf. to +6db - they didn't even mark a zero point!  These pots are really smooth, too smooth, and not appropriate for set-and-forget installations.  I fully expect EV will get complaints and wind up using different pots in a future revision.

There is a flat/hyped EQ switch on the back, but to call this subtle would be kind.  I was convinced the switch was just broken until I noticed the 60-cycle hum changing slightly in volume when I toggled it.  The source material I tested (looped guitar chords through various amp models) really doesn't seem affected at all.

Verdict:  At the $479 B-stock price, this is a sufficient improvement over my K4, it's far more practical, and it's a keeper.  But before I spent the street price of $599 for a new one, I'd probably want to compare it against some of the competition from QSC, JBL, Yamaha, etc.  My guess is that some of these might sound a bit better, and maybe enough to warrant their higher prices.

mbenigni

(Now I've just got to sell the K4 for a reasonable sum - at least enough to cover this expense...)

Sold - for just enough to cover this expense.

Elantric

Are these EV ELX112p 's still working out for you?

mbenigni

Actually, I only bought one - I'm using it as a lightweight mono cab.  But yes, I am still digging it.  It has its own voicing as I tried to describe above: not exactly flat, but with a sufficiently wide freq. response to flatter amp/speaker sims IMO.  It's not quite as loud as I expected from the 1000W rating, but it's sufficient for my needs.

I would give it my stamp of approval as a good, cost-effective solution, but I can't say whether it sounds as good as the competition from QSC, Yamaha, etc, as I haven't heard any of those products.

Elantric

Myself, I bought a pair of EV ELX112P powered PA cabs December 2012, and they sound pretty good
I would say when used directly with GR55, I found these sound best when I crank the ELX112P''s Volume to Max, then adjust my level using the GR55's Master Volume control. These cabs require a high Line level signal to get working at a full band SPL to compete with a rock drummer. Inserting a decent Mixer (Yamaha 01V) helps boost the GR55's output to adequate sufficient dB level to get the final SPL Volume up. But these remain smooth without distortion.  If I had to do it over again, id buy a pair of Yamaha DXR12 instead But that would cost $400 more than I paid. ($850 for two ELX112P's)

I found my other amps work better with my DSP Guitar Modelers (Kemper, Mustang Floor, HD500X, VG-99)  Traynor K4 or a pair of Behringer B212A cabs have a more versatile input gain and actually play louder without the need to crank each to max level.

Toby Krebs

Thanks for the review. Very helpful. I am needing larger FRFR speakers for my GR55 rigs and to also be used for PA mains when I occasionally lead my own band. I have come to the conclusion that these class D power amps built into these powered speakers have a few shortcomings. I figured this out when I got my stage rig going at a wedding recently using two alto TS110A 10 in speakers on small stools/stands( I don't put them on the ground anymore. Way too bassy!) During  the sound /line check I got my cabs up to a good starting level for the gig and was kind of happy with the tones. Good enough not to distract me. Just for giggles I hopped off the stage and was blown away by how huge and defined and natural the GR55s tones sounded through the bands front of house system. 2 FRFR 15 in. EV mains on top of 2 dual 18 in. EV subs(no fun to move) plus 4 15 in. EV full ranger monitors on the stage powered by 4 older non D class QSC power amps.  You know the ones that sound like music instead of music with white noise added in. I just don't think these D class amps can ever do what the older amps and passive speakers can do as far as fidelity. I will continue to use the newer FRFR speakers because I can't move and carry separate power amp/rack/speaker cabs anymore for my GR55 tones. But I have noticed a difference in tonality between class D and the older power amps we have all used for decades. I know these sound reinforcement companies did not use the class D technology until recently because of some of the problems they have doing audio tasks. Thus far QSC seems to have the best sound that is closer to the older amps/speakers. I just don't want to pay so damn much for it just to have it onstage with me when I know out front my tones are fantastic.

jshortz

Quote from: Elantric on September 25, 2013, 11:42:31 PM
Myself, I bought a pair of EV ELX112P powered PA cabs December 2012, and they sound pretty good
I would say when used directly with GR55, I found these sound best when I crank the ELX112P''s Volume to Max, then adjust my level using the GR55's Master Volume control. These cabs require a high Line level signal to get working at a full band SPL to compete with a rock drummer. Inserting a decent Mixer (Yamaha 01V) helps boost the GR55's output to adequate sufficient dB level to get the final SPL Volume up. But these remain smooth without distortion.  If I had to do it over again, id buy a pair of Yamaha DXR12 instead But that would cost $400 more than I paid. ($850 for two ELX112P's)

I found my other amps work better with my DSP Guitar Modelers (Kemper, Mustang Floor, HD500X, VG-99)  Traynor K4 or a pair of Behringer B212A cabs have a more versatile input gain and actually play louder without the need to crank each to max level.

I tried an ELX112P and I could not get enough volume from Channel one.Channel two was louder using the mic/line switch.
I did not like the distortion sound with my Digitech RP1000 but I figure with a little work it could be better.
I didn't try it with my 55 although I think running both the 55 and Digitech into channel two with my ABY Mix box should be okay.

Elantric

I find I need additional gain to get the ELX112P SPL levels up

So I feed GR-55 > Phonic Helix18 Mixer > ELX112P Line input, and set Gain on Max on ELX112P

before you buy - I recommend you try everything  AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION - many here prefer a pair of Alto TS110A powered speakers
And I never said the EV ELX 112P is the best speaker (it isnt!)
http://altoproaudio.com/products/ts110a

and read this thread
Recommended Amps for GR-55 / VG-99
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9484.0

mbenigni

People on the Kemper forum seem to be crazy about the Yamaha DXR10's, too.  Less power (and a smaller speaker and enclosure) than the ELX112p, but by the same token, more portable.  I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's listened to both of these monitors.

whippinpost91850

I've listened to both speakers. I liked the Dxr10 better overall, and it could get very very loud . I allmost kept the Dxr10, but liked the Atomic CLRbest of all( I use it with my Kemper and my GR55 at the same time). I my opinion the Dxr10 is probably the best bang for the buck, and hard to beat the 7 yr warranty

jerrycali

the Fishman loud box or performer loudbox is incredible for making your GR 55 patches come alive ! I was able to turn off most of the eq for all of my acoustic gtr patches - theses are worth checking out - if you need more power you can use th DI from the loudbox into a powerful PA . Do yourself a favor and try one of these . Jerry Cali                               UPDATE :                                It  is 2015 and this is an update on this post :  I am currently using qsc k8 's for my gr 55 and rp 1000 ( I am running two guitar signals in my performances ) the k8' s will handle a large frequency pallette of sounds , the bass guitar does not fart out at loud volumes- - - but if I play a large capacity room (300 -500) I use the k8's or  a k10  and 2 JBL 15 inch speaker cabinets 1000 watts /wood enclosure and the sound at all frequencies and volumes is killer -I have a qsc sub but usually only use that for larger outdoor gigs - much of the unwanted distortion and unpleasant sound we experience is because of the lack of headroom on the reproduction of the music - using a larger wattage ,quality made cabinet will give you a better sound - there is no cheap fix that i have found - figure out a way to finance a very good system for your sounds - buy it once -and then get back to the process of writing and playing the music that is inside you-Have a great musical and happy new year !

Toby Krebs

Quote from: Elantric on November 13, 2013, 10:32:07 AM
I find I need additional gain to get the ELX112P SPL levels up

So I feed GR-55 > Phonic Helix18 Mixer > ELX112P Line input, and set Gain on Max on ELX112P

before you buy - I recommend you try everything  AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION - many here prefer a pair of Alto TS110A powered speakers
And I never said the EV ELX 112P is the best speaker (it isnt!)
http://altoproaudio.com/products/ts110a

and read this thread
Recommended Amps for GR-55 / VG-99
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9484.0

Those Evs' are great speakers. One of my Former bands used those and two powered matching 15 in subs. I miss the PA gear way more than I miss playing in that band LOL!

shawnb

OK, I finally bit the bullet & picked up a pair of ELX112Ps.   

Yesterday was my first day.  Absolutely love the sound.   More than enough volume for me...   

One thing, though...   One of the two has that ozone electronic smell, like something might be frying in there.   

Normal break-in?   Or is it about to fail?   I'm wondering if I should return it for smelling funny...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

QuoteOne thing, though...   One of the two has that ozone electronic smell, like something might be frying in there.   

Sounds (or rather "smells") suspect - keep your sales receipt!

I still own a pair of these myself - but to be honest I prefer my pair of  Alesis Alpha 112A instead.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12481.msg90635#msg90635

The EV ELX112p when driven directly from my VG-99 or GR-55 or GP-10 frankly do not go as loud as I need, perhaps due to the -10db output of the GR-55/ GP-10 coupled with the low input sensitivity gain of the built in Input section on the EV   - always requires a Mixer to drive the ELX112P at +4dB Line Level before they get off the ground to concert SPL.

By contrast, I can easily feed VG-99 or GR-55 or GP-10 output into the Alesis 112A and achieve much higher SPL  - and the Alesis are much lighter !

I paid $1200 for the pair of EV ELX112p with covers

I paid $450 for the pair of Alesis 112A with covers ( the Alto TS112A covers are a perfect match) 

shawnb

I fed them from my Scarlett Focusrite 2i4, via TRS cables.  Pretty massive.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

That will work good. SCARLETT Kicks out +4 db on its balanced TRS Outputs.

JeffVolume

Quote from: Elantric on November 22, 2014, 09:47:30 AM

but to be honest I prefer my pair of Alesis 112A's instead.

I couldnt agree more!!  The Alesis speakers ROCK!!

mbenigni

QuoteThe EV ELX112p ... the Alesis are much lighter !

Wow, the Alesis 112A's must be feathers!  I thought the EV's were light!

Elantric

QuoteWow, the Alesis 112A's must be feathers!  I thought the EV's were light!

My EV ELX112P's are made of Wood and 37 lbs each
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1066

The Alesis Alpha 112A's are made of a composite  and a bit lighter  @ 31 lbs each

http://alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/25/5493293bfa0d4f599875af6eddd8ea08/file/alpha112_quickstartguide_v1.2.pdf

Toby Krebs

I keep looking at these EVs too.
Then I look at a QSC K-10/12
Then I crank my Alto 10/12s using any of my  FRFR modelers

and I keep my money in my pocket

shawnb

OK, an update, I've had these over a month now.   

Like mbenigni, I do wonder why they didn't put a '0' marker or indentation on the gain pots.   Very curious.

Also like mbenigni, I noticed a lot of hiss with the gain at max.   This goes away rolling off the gain a bit, though.   

I read a bunch of articles, & the smell I noted above is reported frequently.   Many report it as a "skunky, weed-like smell".   (Which makes me wonder what kind of weed they smoke...)

I am having a bit of a problem with (EDIT: one of) them.   Seems like they shut themselves down for 1-2 minutes to cool off when overdriven.  Happens with the gain at/near max (which I need to do when we have multiple guitarists competing with the drummer) with my loudest voices.   I am going to experiment with putting a limiter at the end of my signal chain to see if that eliminates the problem. 

Elantric

thanks for the report shawnb

Sad to report in my A/B test with EV ELX112P vs Alesis Alpha 112A  If I plug my GR-55 straight into my EV ELX112P - I can't get enough volume for a live gig - even with all controls on max  - the EV's require a true balanced +4dB signal source to drive them -

Meanwhile  - the  Alesis Alpha 112A ( based upon the Alto TS112A) sounds great and plenty loud when its rear gain pot set mid way up -and with Output Level knob on GR-55  / GP-10 set mid way up  - just using a straight 1/4" TS cable.

- no comparison, the Alesis Alpha 112A has more gain, higher signal to noise ( less hiss) and goes louder when used with VG/GR gear. And the silent Fan on the Alesis means it won't be doing the thermal shutdown dance. I prefer the tones I get with a pair of the Alesis Alpha 112A's  too

Not what i was expecting - since the  EV ELX112P is typically held in higher esteem and was three times the cost of the $199 Alesis Alpha 112A.

It might be best to  insert a decent limiter ( perhaps the FMR RNLA
http://www.fmraudio.com/rnla.html

in the Insert loop on a decent Mixer and drive the ELX112P at +4db balanced signal level should help.

shawnb

Did some tests in a controlled environment, i.e., without drums, bass & 2 other guitarists playing...

One of my ELX112Ps fails, but only somewhere above 50% volume.   It doesn't just fail when it's hot anymore. 

Probably the one that smelled funny as reported in my first post above.  Should've just replaced it that day...   

I'm exchanging it tomorrow.  Even though > 30 days have passed, GC will just exchange it for a new one on the spot. 

shawnb

Replaced defective ELX112P and all is well now.   I hold my own vs guitar amps in the practice studio now. 

I suspect it oughtta get a bit louder, heck I have 2 of 'em.  (& Maybe I've read too much here!)

Wondering if one of these might help?  I.e., feeding both Input 1 & Input 2 with the same signal to get the max benefit. 

Elantric

From VG-99, you use the VG-99's Sub Out balanced XLR to drive the Channel #1 XLR input on  ELX112P

The GR-55 / GP-10 1/4"  Outputs are unbalanced -10dB

Feed the 1/4" output of your GR-55 into  the Channel #1 input on  ELX112P, and set the input switch to "Mic" - which gives more gain.

But I find to get the most gain its better to feed the GR-55 Output into a separate Mixer that was a +4dB Output  - and use the Mixer as a Line Driver to feed balanced +4dB audio via XLR
into the the Channel #1 XLR input on  ELX112P