GR-55 - Gumtown's GR-55 FloorBoard Editor

Started by gumtown, January 18, 2011, 02:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcarb123

>:(
I have the same exact problem.... PLEASE HELP US!!!!
Quote from: cx1uk on July 26, 2014, 01:30:40 AM
Hi,
I'm new to the GR55, but not new to Macs.
I've been trying to get Floorboard to run but it refuses to do anything other than crash the minute it loads. I have:
a) checked I have the latest version from Sourceforge,
b) checked the gr55 is up to date,
c) done three completely clean installs of Floorboard (deleted all the pref files each time)...
d) I'm running Mavericks 10.9.4 in case that's the problem...

In short, I am stumped. Is there anything someone can suggest, or is there a step i am missing?

cx1uk

@jcarb123 - I'm relieved (but disappointed) to find I'm not the only one. I've put off installing Yosemite as I was worried that Floorboard may not have worked with it... but that's a moot point, really! ;)
Strat Plus
PRS CE Custom24
Taylor A10e
Fender and Bassman Amps
Korg Synths
GR-55
GT-100

Mac Software

and a banjo (Sorry)

RolandAllTheWay

Gumtown - I have done everything possible.  Nothing works when trying to load bulk file to GR55.  Crash.  I have screen shots of the error codes if that makes any difference.  BTW FW 1.5 in both.

I also took other additional steps that I thought of to troubleshoot:

1) I wiped out a spare laptop, fresh XP3.  I figured I can keep that one for all my Roland and other software/editors since I had no issues with this until I went to Win7 OR went with the latest Floorboard editor (20131103).  So I'm not sure which it was (yet).
I went on the Roland site for the most recent drivers.  So I have GR55#1 from which I took bank 50 and 51 (and I tried other banks as well) and saved that as a BULK file of only 6 patches.  I then saved that onto a memory stick, put it into the XP3 laptop opened up the editor, tried to load those 6 patches AS BULK to banks 1 & 2.   Crash.

2) I tried as you suggested to run two instances, two different places of the Editor.  Made sure that GR55 "#1" was just GR55 in the MIDI/USB IN-OUT just as you said.  Yes, GR55 #2 was labeled as such in MIDI/USB just like you called when I launched Editor while the first was still open.  I was able to navigate both just fine as far as recalling presets and SAVING as bulk..  BUT when it came to bulk file LOAD, both GRs crash when I go to load onto either.

3) I didn't want to factory reset GR55 #2..but I did, deleted driver on XP3 laptop, reinstalled to start fresh.  Bulk file load, Crash.  no difference.

Wanted you to know a few interesting things I found.  I'm able to save individual patches and load them into both with no crashes, back and forth.

I went back to something I haven't used in a while...The Roland GR55 Librarian.  I can open the Bulk File, I am able to replace and I am able to overwrite - with no crashes. It seems I have a work-around but I don't like the added step of using the Librarian when Editor worked so well before.

Is there anywhere I can find the previous version of the Editor? The one without the frequency curve on the EQ section? I wish I had saved one somewhere so I could try that because that is the only thing left.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

RolandAllTheWay

Does anyone have old versions of this program?

It just doesn't seem to work with my computers (bulk load into GR55) no matter what I try.  I just played a gig last night and prior to leaving I was able to EDIT with the floorboard editor.  However, when it came to bulk loading those changes into my 2nd GR55 (on another dedicated laptop), I used the standard Roland Librarian and it worked perfectly, keeping all my CTL/EXP settings intact, no crashes.  Very happy to have found this work-around.

I am looking for a link to the last couple of versions of the Floorboard Editor that don't have the frequency graph in the EQ section.  I (seemingly) had no troubles with that version of this amazing tool until I loaded v. 20131103  I have ruled everything else as far as I know.

Thank you.

Elantric

QuoteDoes anyone have old versions of this program?

What OS?

RolandAllTheWay

I am using Win7 32bit.  I was using XP SP2 all these years without issue before I went to Win7 at the same time as 20131103 Editor.  Note that 20131103 doesn't Bulk File load on my freshly-wiped dedicated XP3 laptop...that is why I really would like to try an older version (or two older) of the Editor.

Thanks.

gumtown

Quote from: RolandAllTheWay on August 09, 2014, 07:19:38 PM
I am using Win7 32bit.  I was using XP SP2 all these years without issue before I went to Win7 at the same time as 20131103 Editor.  Note that 20131103 doesn't Bulk File load on my freshly-wiped dedicated XP3 laptop...that is why I really would like to try an older version (or two older) of the Editor.

Thanks.
I just uploaded an update
http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/files/GR-55/
and identified a problem with the Bulk Load system, which I hope is fixed.

I also removed some code for auto GR-55 driver selection, allowing you to use 2 x GR-55's with the same program.
The old code worked in such a way where it looked for the first available GR-55 and used that driver/device regardless of which device was selected in the preferences menu.
It was useful for when using multiple Midi devices on your system,
each time the computer boots, the devices are not in the same list order, requiring the GR-55 midi preferences to be manually selected on each start of the editor.

I will update the Mac Osx version shortly as I have identified an issue if your mac has Jack Midi system installed,
the editor may randomly choose that over the native core-midi, even though a floorboard jack driver has not been written,
causing the midi device to randomly 'disappear'.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

RolandAllTheWay

Thank you times infinity.....  it worked the very first time... created a quick 1 bank bulk file from bank 60, then loaded that back in as a BULK to bank 17.  Now I can easily make our setlist on GR55 #1 save it as bulk and load it into GR55 #2 without having to use the anemic "librarian" even though it served its purpose for the show we just played.

Thank you again for checking out that loading bulk file issue I posted on here. 

The time and effort you put into it to address it is invaluable to me and I am grateful.

talljoe

I just downloaded and installed the latest Floorboard 20140810 on my Mac Mini (Mavericks)

Mostly works good but crashes if I try to use an EZ  tone.

Any ideas ? 

Thx

TJ

gumtown

Another mac osx update, added so blue highlighting to the comboboxes and the Patch Tree panel.
Making selections with the keyboard easier.

No ideas on the EZ-Tone issue yet..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

acousticartist

Haven't used my GR55 in a long time... I have always had problems with saving user patches. One example, I make a patch with two synth tones and the second one will be turned off after writing it in a user location. I turn it on, press write get through the dialog box and after the patch is written, the second synth tone is turned off again. I have reset the unit back to factory countless times with no change. I eagerly applied the 1.5 update hoping for a remedy. No joy. I downloaded each new version of the GR55 Floorboard. This is what used to happen and it happened whether I did it from the GR55 Floorboard app or from the front panel of the gr55. This didn't happen with every patch I created, but often enough to get in the way of using the unit as I wish. Fast forward to now and as I try to save the bulk patches to a file, I get the message that patch after patch can't be written. I rest to factory init and tried to save the bulk patches again and the same thing happens. If I just try to change a factory patch and then write it to a user location, the app crashes every time. I can't seem to locate the preference files for the app to trash them (I know how to search for system files and invisible files). I would appreciate any insight. I am desperate to use the thing to make music. Editing the GR55 from the front panel works but is so tedious I just want to trash the the thing. Any others experiencing similar issues with the hardware or the GR55 Floorboard software? Did I just get a defective unit? When this first started to happen (as soon as I was trying write and save my own patches), I attributed it to my unfamiliarity with the unit. I have owned a lot of Midi guitar hardware from Photon Midi converter, through most of the Roland units and the GR55 has come the closest as far as tracking and having the tones that I find useful, but the frustration level is up to an '11' (1 higher than 10!)
Thanks for any and all attempts at constructive advice! :'(
Don
GR55
Yamaha SGL100n w/RMC

gumtown

Hi Don, Need to know which platform you are using (windows, mac, Linux), which version of that (Win8, mavericks, Ubuntu 6:2014), and which version of the editor (latest windows version is 20140810 = 10th August 2014). The editor version is displayed in the Help menu.

I am not aware of file saving issues with the software since the last problem was resolved in 2012.
Bulk patch loading was repaired last week for the latest versions for win & mac.
The preference file is in the same desktop folder as the editor labelled "preferences.xml".

acousticartist

Thanks for the reply Gumtown! Forgot to post the essential info;
I am on the Mac platform running the current version of Mavericks 10.9.4 on a late 2013 Macbook Pro retina with 16GB ram. The version of the software is GR-55 FloorBoard - version 20140811 according to the about menu under file (the GR Floorboard help menu doesn't seem to do anything as far as I can tell, when I click it, there doesn't seem to be any response). By the way, great piece of software!
Don
Quote from:  gumtown on August 17, 2014, 04:06:11 AM
Hi Don, Need to know which platform you are using (windows, mac, Linux), which version of that (Win8, mavericks, Ubuntu 6:2014), and which version of the editor (latest windows version is 20140810 = 10th August 2014). The editor version is displayed in the Help menu.

I am not aware of file saving issues with the software since the last problem was resolved in 2012.
Bulk patch loading was repaired last week for the latest versions for win & mac.
The preference file is in the same desktop folder as the editor labelled "preferences.xml".
GR55
Yamaha SGL100n w/RMC

Elantric

OSX 10.9 Mavericks brings new security for file I/O operations,
Specific setting must be set

Check the security settings.
1. In "System Preferences," click "Security & Privacy."
2. Click the lock icon on the bottom left. When a dialog box requesting a password appears, enter the administrator's password to unlock.
3. On the General tab, change the "Allow apps downloaded from"/"Allow applications downloaded from" setting to "anywhere"

4. Install the Roland GR-55 USB Driver for OSX 10.9 Mavericks and GR-55 Floorboard app.
* When you finish installing or uninstalling the GR-55 Floorboard Editor or GR-55 USB driver, change the "Security & Privacy" setting back to the original setting using the same procedure.

and

Did the computer enter a Sleep mode while the GR-55 was connected with its power turned on?
If the computer entered a Sleep mode while the GR-55 was connected with its power turned on, it may not operate correctly. In this case, after resuming, exit all software that are using the GR-55, and then turn on the power of the GR-55 once again.

Read the GR-55 USB  Driver install and debug instructions.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10197.0;attach=9179

acousticartist

Yep, I did all that and no the computer didn't enter sleep mode while connected to the GR55, learned that lesson when I first got he unit! Good to post that info though for anyone having problems in the future and doing a search.
Don
Quote from:  Elantric on August 17, 2014, 10:23:06 AM
OSX 10.9 Mavericks brings new security for file I/O operations,
Specific setting must be set

Check the security settings.
1. In "System Preferences," click "Security & Privacy."
2. Click the lock icon on the bottom left. When a dialog box requesting a password appears, enter the administrator's password to unlock.
3. On the General tab, change the "Allow apps downloaded from"/"Allow applications downloaded from" setting to "anywhere"

4. Install the Roland GR-55 USB Driver for OSX 10.9 Mavericks and GR-55 Floorboard app.
* When you finish installing or uninstalling the GR-55 Floorboard Editor or GR-55 USB driver, change the "Security & Privacy" setting back to the original setting using the same procedure.

and

Did the computer enter a Sleep mode while the GR-55 was connected with its power turned on?
If the computer entered a Sleep mode while the GR-55 was connected with its power turned on, it may not operate correctly. In this case, after resuming, exit all software that are using the GR-55, and then turn on the power of the GR-55 once again.

Read the GR-55 USB  Driver install and debug instructions.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10197.0;attach=9179
GR55
Yamaha SGL100n w/RMC

acousticartist

A bit more information... I dug out my old 2006 MacBook Pro (10.7.5, which is the newest OS it will run) which is running an older version of the GR55 Floorboard software and was able to edit and save patches without crashing. I also uninstalled and then reinstalled the Mavericks USB driver on my late 2013 MacBook Pro referred to earlier and tried it again with the just released GR55 Floorboard software, and the app crashed every time I tried to save a patch. There must be an incompatibility with my MacBook Pro's hardware/software combination and the current version of the GR55 Floorboard software. Anybody else with a newer MacBook Pro with a retina display have this working?
Don
GR55
Yamaha SGL100n w/RMC

concordal

Same issue here as acousticartist, running on iMac with Mavericks 10.9.4   Crashes on save to Mac and sometimes crashes when clicking an ASSIGN.   

Version 20140325 doesn't crash so it's not permissions or gatekeeper.  Hope this helps.

acousticartist

Thanks for the corroboration! Unfortunately, I trashed that version. Anybody have a link to version 20140325?
Don
Quote from:  concordal on August 18, 2014, 06:09:12 PM
Same issue here as acousticartist, running on iMac with Mavericks 10.9.4   Crashes on save to Mac and sometimes crashes when clicking an ASSIGN.   

Version 20140325 doesn't crash so it's not permissions or gatekeeper.  Hope this helps.
GR55
Yamaha SGL100n w/RMC

gumtown

Hey all you mac users !! How Ya' doin' ??

Just uploaded a new mac update, and found the cause of all that trouble.
Seems the the people who make the RtMidi interface (from editor to Roland GR-55 driver) had decided
in their latest update, to see system exclusive data being the same as patch change data
and removed the sysx data handling code from the driver.
I have re-instated the code and all seems to be well now.

the latest mac-64 version now 20140820

gumtown

Yet one more mac update (20140820) - and found the source of the problem.
I hope this solves all the mac related problems discussed recently.

enjoy..

acousticartist

Doing much better now, thanks for getting this done so quickly! I will have a chance to download the new version later today and will give it a try.
Don
Quote from:  gumtown on August 19, 2014, 08:59:35 PM
Hey all you mac users !! How Ya' doin' ??

Just uploaded a new mac update, and found the cause of all that trouble.
Seems the the people who make the RtMidi interface (from editor to Roland GR-55 driver) had decided
in their latest update, to see system exclusive data being the same as patch change data
and removed the sysx data handling code from the driver.
I have re-instated the code and all seems to be well now.

the latest mac-64 version now 20140820
GR55
Yamaha SGL100n w/RMC

concordal

Many thanks once again, Gumtown.

• The blue highlight works nicely.  Much easier to see which patch is selected.  Nice enhancement.

• Also the problem with ASSIGN 7 has been cured.  Thanks. 

Thanks so much for all your efforts, Gumtown!

Wskip49

Has anyone experienced a problem with the drivers for windows 7?  I have tried to connect my PC to my GR55 but I can not get it connected.

gumtown

From the GR-55FloorBoard program, when you open,
Settings > Preferences > Midi/USB
Are you able to select "GR-55" as the midi input and out devices?
does GR-55 show as an option?

Elantric