Midi hold question - Midi guitar

Started by germanicus, May 12, 2013, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

germanicus

I know that most synths use cc#64 as hold pedal.

The FTP uses cc#66.

The above two function to hold all midi notes struck while the pedal is held down (in Momentary mode) or activated (when in Latch mode).

It is also possible with midi guitar synths to use a type of hold which will sustain only the notes played when the pedal is first activated/depressed. Then either it will play subsequent midi notes but not sustain them when the notes are released, or not play any subsequent midi notes at all until the hold is released or deactivated.

The FTP will function as noted above if you set the patch in the FTP to Block notes after Hold. Additionally, in both the vg99 and the gr55 you could specify these types of holds.

My question is regarding whether this is a type of hold that is specified by a specific CC (other than 64 or 66), or whether this is some activated/programmed filter which first applies a sustain command to the notes that are already 'on' when the Hold is first activated, but not subsequent ones.

Im trying to create this type of hold on my fc300.

Anyone know how to go about this?
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Elantric

What you describe is typically named "Sostenuto:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sostenuto

Sostenuto Definition

On a modern grand piano with three pedals, the middle pedal is usually a sostenuto pedal. It sustains only those notes that are being held down when the pedal is depressed, allowing future notes played to be unaffected. It is commonly abbreviated "S.P.", "Sost. Ped.", or "ThP." (from the German equivalent "Tonhalte-Pedal").

Not all gear supports Sostenuto, but there is a dedicated MIDI CC#66 for it (see below)

I know Chapman Stick folks tend to be a good resource on knowing which SoftSynths support Sostenuto

====
List of Standard MIDI Continuous Controllers (CC's)
Here is a list of the standard MIDI continuous controllers. Use these controllers to manipulate your MIDI data to make the music more expressive. You use these to add expressive devices like add vibrato, add abrupt or gradual volume changes, add and control the amount of reverb, tremolo, and/or chorus, and so on. The most commonly used CC's are in bold typeface

For most controllers marked (on/off) controllers, on=127 and off=0. For all others, the higher the value, the more intense the effect is.

Note: Not all synthesizers respond to all CC's. There should be a list in your synth manual. It's usually in the back and it is usually called the MIDI implementation chart. If you don't have the manual or can't google one, try a few to see if they work. If you find this page helpful, feel free to link to it.

CC number and Description

0 Bank Select (MSB)
(followed by cc32 & Program Change)
1 Modulation Wheel
2 Breath controller
4 Foot Pedal (MSB)
5 Portamento Time (MSB)
Only use this for portamento time use cc65 to turn on/off
6 Data Entry (MSB)
if you follow cc100=0 & cc101=0 this is pitch bend range
7 Volume (MSB)
Note: CC7 and 11 both adjust the volume. Use cc7 as you would the control on the amplifier - set it and leave it at the beginning of the MIDI track
8 Balance (MSB) Some synths use it
10 Pan position (MSB)
11 Expression (MSB)
Note: CC7 and 11 both adjust the volume. Use cc11 for volume changes during the track (crescendo, diminuendo, swells, etc.)
12 Effect Control 1 (MSB)
13 Effect Control 2 (MSB)
14 Undefined
15 Undefined
16 Ribbon Controller or General Purpose Slider 1
17 Knob 1 or General Purpose Slider 2
18 General Purpose Slider 3
19 Knob 2 General Purpose Slider 4
20 Knob 3 or Undefined
21 Knob 4 or Undefined

22-31 are undefined, available for use by synths that let you assign controllers.

32 Bank Select (LSB) (see cc0)
33 Modulation Wheel (LSB)
34 Breath controller (LSB)
36 Foot Pedal (LSB)
37 Portamento Time (LSB)
38 Data Entry (LSB)
39 Volume (LSB)
40 Balance (LSB)
42 Pan position (LSB)
43 Expression (LSB)
44 Effect Control 1 (LSB) Roland Portamento on and rate
45 Effect Control 2 (LSB)
46-63 may be in use as the LSB for controllers 14-31 in some devices, but I have not seen one yet.
64 Hold Pedal (on/off)
Nearly every synth will react to 64 (sustain pedal)
65 Portamento (on/off)
66 Sustenuto Pedal (on/off)
67 Soft Pedal (on/off)
68 Legato Pedal (on/off)
69 Hold 2 Pedal (on/off)
70 Sound Variation
71 Resonance (aka Timbre)
72 Sound Release Time
73 Sound Attack Time
74 Frequency Cutoff (aka Brightness )
75 Sound Control 6
76 Sound Control 7
77 Sound Control 8
78 Sound Control 9
79 Sound Control 10
80 Decay or General Purpose Button 1 (on/off) Roland Tone level 1
81 Hi Pass Filter Frequency or General Purpose Button 2 (on/off) Roland Tone level 2
82 General Purpose Button 3 (on/off) Roland Tone level 3
83 General Purpose Button 4 (on/off) Roland Tone level 4
91 Reverb Level
92 Tremolo Level
93 Chorus Level
94 Celeste Level or Detune
95 Phaser Level

It's probably best not to use the group below for assigning controllers.?
96 Data Button increment
97 Data Button decrement
98 Non-registered Parameter (LSB)
99 Non-registered Parameter (MSB)
100 Registered Parameter (LSB)
101 Registered Parameter (MSB)

It's very important that you do not use these no matter what unless you want to invoke these functions
120 All Sound Off
121 All Controllers Off
122 Local Keyboard (on/off)
You might actually crash your keyboard if you use this one.
123 All Notes Off

You typically don't want your synths to change modes on you in the middle of making a song, so don't use these.
124 Omni Mode Off
125 Omni Mode On
126 Mono Operation
127 Poly Operation

====

ToonTrack EZ Keys does support Sostenuto
http://www.sonicscoop.com/2012/06/26/review-toontrack-ez-keys-grand-piano-by-zach-mcnees/

germanicus

Thanks Elantric.

Ive made headway programming the FC300 in 'control' mode and its quite easy with Cantabile/FTP to assign various footpedals to activate different synths on the fly.
Sustenuto seems to work with some of my synths, but not all.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

vxboogie

Quote from: germanicus on May 13, 2013, 11:22:14 PM
Thanks Elantric.

Ive made headway programming the FC300 in 'control' mode and its quite easy with Cantabile/FTP to assign various footpedals to activate different synths on the fly.
Sustenuto seems to work with some of my synths, but not all.
Hi Germanicus. I know this is an old thread, but I'm delving into the whole sostenuto issue as well. What soft synths are you using that sostenuto works? Do you use iOS as well and have you found an there?

Spider

FTP use #66 for ITS pedal  function but how it works, what it do with external synth depends on programimng particular patch inside FTP.