DIY use FS-6 as bank up/down in GR-55

Started by markcasq, August 12, 2011, 12:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markcasq

I love GR-55, but what I wish Roland have included is an expansion where I can connect an FS-6 to bank up/down the patches.

Is there a way I can do that?  What do I need to customize?  Someone done it before?  Or is there a midi controller as small as FS-6 which I can program bank up/down?

gumtown

There are two ways to do that..
1) Use the FS-6 as the GK S1/S2 buttons are used to change bank, this would involve either making a GK 13 pin plug adapter in-line with the GK cable and tapping into the S1/S1 wires, or internally modifying the GR-55, as it has an internal wiring loom from the GK socket, and fit a stereo jack socket for the FS-6 to plug into the GR-55 (involves drilling a hole in the GR-55 chassis).

2) A small project i am working on is to implant a midi processor into the foot switch and connect to the GR-55 via midi cable.
  For this i am designing a 'minimalist component count' circuit which will use a 8pin P.I.C. micro controller chip and one resistor, taking up as much room as a thumb nail, plus a 5pin midi socket and battery. It will most likely do patch change up and down, and remember where it's last patch change was, and resume from that patch.
I will be posting it's design in the DIY section, the chip will be capable of using 4 buttons and a variable control like a EXP pedal, and the 'source code' will be opensource.
It is basically a prelude to a bigger project being concidered.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Quote2) A small project i am working on is to implant a midi processor into the foot switch and connect to the GR-55 via midi cable.
  For this i am designing a 'minimalist component count' circuit which will use a 8pin P.I.C. micro controller chip and one resistor, taking up as much room as a thumb nail, plus a 5pin midi socket and battery. It will most likely do patch change up and down, and remember where it's last patch change was, and resume from that patch.
I will be posting it's design in the DIY section, the chip will be capable of using 4 buttons and a variable control like a EXP pedal, and the 'source code' will be opensource.

I look forward to this DIY solution.

Gastric

Quote from: gumtown on August 12, 2011, 01:13:53 AM
There are two ways to do that..
1) Use the FS-6 as the GK S1/S2 buttons are used to change bank, this would involve either making a GK 13 pin plug adapter in-line with the GK cable and tapping into the S1/S1 wires, or internally modifying the GR-55, as it has an internal wiring loom from the GK socket, and fit a stereo jack socket for the FS-6 to plug into the GR-55 (involves drilling a hole in the GR-55 chassis).

2) A small project i am working on is to implant a midi processor into the foot switch and connect to the GR-55 via midi cable.
It is basically a prelude to a bigger project being concidered.

Nice solution.  That is certainly easier than hacking apart the GR-55 chassis and wire loom :) Please consider allowing MIDI THRU so we can still send other external MIDI (clock, for example) into the GR-55 in addition to the footswitch controls.

markcasq

gumtown, you are really amazing.  can't wait to see how that project unfolds, and if I will be able to do that :-)  what do you think about highly liquid midi controller?  I think it is too big to fit inside FS-6. 

If I go with the "tapping the 13-pin approach", where can I find the map for 13-pin?  And how can I implement the switch, momentarily short it to ground?  I'll also try to search the forum for that.

Beirne

Quote from: Gastric on August 12, 2011, 10:35:37 AM
Nice solution.  That is certainly easier than hacking apart the GR-55 chassis and wire loom :) Please consider allowing MIDI THRU so we can still send other external MIDI (clock, for example) into the GR-55 in addition to the footswitch controls.
FYI, IMO, the GR55 has a LOT of room inside the case. And plenty of space for more jacks.
I find this eliminates the need for external electronics and batteries and makes for a more roadworthy unit.
see my mods at the thread...
"GR-55 guitar pickup input output fx loop Mod with Pictures! "
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband

markcasq

I should know how large the inside is, coffee spilled in my GR-55 and I had to open it and clean it  ;D  Still works great!

So can you send a link where we can see your mod?  And how did you do it?