IOS: The Idiot Savant Operating System

Started by Rhcole, June 25, 2016, 01:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

You only get one chance to have a first impression of something.
Having purchased an iPad Pro 9.7 and now used it for about a month, I have to say I am mostly blown away: all the synth apps I can eat, effortless FTP integration, recording, generative apps, smooth and fast performance, it's totally incredible. Low latency synths for $10, are you kidding me? I navigated the hurdles of MIDI transfer, Audiobus, etc. without any great efforts.

But this lack of file sharing leaves me speechless, my jaw flapping and no sound coming out. I make a wav file in app A and I have to connect to my computer to get app B to find it using iTunes? Really?

Is there any trick, any kind of workaround, any app to bypass this? I'm still a newbie, so there is the outside chance I just don't know how to do it right.

But just like Microsoft has its dark side that is getting baked in deeper to each revision of their OS, so does... well everybody. Except for Linux, it seems like all modern OS's are designed to shunt your eyeballs and wallets to the next movie they want you to rent, the next song they want you to buy. You buy the TV set, you are paying to see the commercials, so to speak.

I can forgive no cursor and no mouse. After all, IOS started as an app for a phone. But no file system...?

johnnyninja

Much depends on what features each app provides regarding backup, archive, and "open in". I use a few options depending on my situation.

1) Use an app like filebrowser to save to/ open from.
2) use a wireless drive that will connect to the ipad. You still need an app for this but it's good for large files.
3) Dropbox, iCloud or any other cloud service that your apps connect to.

I do 95% of my computing on my iPad and don't use iTunes at all so it's possible to this. Granted, a bit of a pain figuring out your workflows in the beginning.

chrish

Once you start down that rabbit hole, expect some tripping about, said the toad on the shroom :-).

Chumly

Hi Rhcole,

I like my iPad Air 2 128 and I am a confirmed app-addict.

I suggest you direct your posts to https://forum.audiob.us/ as you'll find they are the wizards (no offense vguitarforums.com) when it comes to navigating the peculiarities of music apps on iOS.

I also urge you to view http://thesoundtestroom.com/ as it's simply wonderful for video reviews plus they list all the price drops. 

Only once you're fully addicted, plus you recognize that free will is simply an illusion, do I then urge you to view  https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice?language=en
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

admin

One reason I like Yonac Tonestack is due to its built in Wi-Fi audio File transfer utility.

If I have MP3 audio files of songs to learn , I can use Yonacs Wi-Fi Song Import Function, that provides n IP address. To log into my iPad using  Chrome  Browser on my Windows PC,

frummox

Admsustainic--very interesting about Wi-Fi transfer on the iPad. I've had my iPad a little over a year and one of the most aggravating aspects is having to use iTunes to move and manage files on it. I got a SanDisk WiFi pen drive which I load up movies, audio and pictures on and access them that way on the iPad. Can Yonacs Wi-Fi also move video and photo files on to the iPad? And can those files be deleted the same way?

admin

Yonac WiFi file transfer only works with Audio media for use with Yonac ToneStack's built in recorder / slow downer and multitrack recorder.

I've only transferred MP3 files from my Windows pc to iPad via WiFi. Was easy follow Tonestack instructions in the Yonac Tonestack Manual

I highly recommend a DropBox account

It's cross platform and Most of my band mates share files using DropBox.