Positive Grid BT4 Bluetooth Pedal Control for Bias / JamUp Pro

Started by Elantric, January 07, 2014, 12:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Word from Positive Grid re BT-4 is : Problems in manufacturing have delayed the BT-4

In 2015, there is a market if they could actually produce a BT-10 ten button footswitch.

Elantric

http://www.positivegrid.com/2015/08/bt-4-bluetooth-midi-controller-update/

https://www.facebook.com/positivegrid/photos/a.266625346689136.73621.245580448793626/1027999963885000/?type=1&fref=nf

For the last months we have been working hard to deliver a world class bluetooth pedal, and with that several third party delays came through. Today we are happy to announce the BT4 pedal is a reality, and we are getting ready for an October release and shipping.

In the meantime, the tech specs go as follows:

Compatible Apps
JamUp XT (free), JamUp Pro XT, BIAS Amp, BIAS FX
GarageBand, AmpliTube, AmpKit
Most Core MIDI apps

Compatible Devices
BT-4 is compatible with iPhone 6, iPhone 6 plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPod touch 5th generation, iPad Air2, iPad Air, iPad 4th generation, iPad 3rd generation and all iPad Mini series. iOS 6.1 or later is required.

BT-4 Technical Specs
Connection: Bluetooth 4.0
Buttons: 4 buttons
Expression Pedal Jack: Yes
Audio interface: No
Battery: AA x 2
Size: 280 x 100 x 37 (mm)
MIDI messages: Program Change, Control Change

That's it for now, stay tuned as more is coming, including our official forum, and a top secret hardware unit.

Rock on,

The Positive Grid Team

mordecai

I saw this and am glad I didn't bite on the blueboard I had nearly went for. Now these promises have been made nearly over a year ago I believe but this seems legit now. I can hold out till October.

Headless68

......the week after I buy a blue board - I knew it would happen :-)

Headless68

whippinpost91850

This could be interesting, I wonder if they will allow you to connect more then 1 unit somehow ???

Elantric

QuoteThis could be interesting, I wonder if they will allow you to connect more then 1 unit somehow ???

They are already starting off "weak" only supports one Expression pedal -

IK BlueBoard supports two

and I see they decided to omit the noisy "IOS LINK" TRRS Headset Audio Interface ( as seen in the early PG BT-4 Press release last year

For best wireless Bluetooth flloor pedal for iPad PG BIAS FX control, I'm currently using Quiccosound mi.1 plugged into the MIDI I/O on an old POD XT Live+EV5 - yields two expression pedals and simultaneous 4 pedals for MIDI patch Change and separate 4 pedals for MIDI CC Control change, Bank Up/Down. Use  Line-6 Edit GUI editor for editing the XTLive MIDI Control assignments   
http://line6.com/software/index.html

Details in the POD XTLIVE MIDI Controller Reference

http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593546810e/application/pdf/MIDI%20Continuous%20Controller%20Reference%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20F%20).pdf

http://line6.com/support/manuals/podxtlive

mbenigni

I hope that Positive Grid updates Bias FX to include "native" recognition, MIDI Learn, and LED syncronization with the BT4, as opposed to requiring a clumsy background app to translate Bluetooth to MIDI.  (Right now the only way to get similar functionality out of a Blueboard is to run Amplitube, and I just don't really care for the sound of Amplitube.)

mordecai

http://www.positivegrid.com/bt4/

They are doing a pre-order deal at $99 starting at 7pm PST tonight. The very last line states the projected release date is now January 2016... They did opt out of the I/O from the original prototype which has the junky headphone jack in/out for guitar. Looks sturdy but does only have one expression pedal out and is iOS exclusive on release. Blueboards have been on sale for $80 as of late... the main thing at this point is what those metal buttons are like. If they are smooth silent foot switches great if not...

Elantric

QuoteThey are doing a pre-order deal at $99 starting at 7pm PST tonight. The very last line states the projected release date is now January 2016...

These guys smoke a better brand than I have access too

I'm doing a pre-order deal at $999 for my new water driven "Water Guitar" Synth system, projected release date is Jan 2020 !

mbenigni

Have they clarified as to whether the "BT Editor" app needs to remain running in the background in order for Bias etc. to recognize events?  Or is it a set and forget kind of thing?  Running one more background app is a potential deal breaker for me, as I'm typically juggling three or four already.

mordecai

Not that I can see in clear writing. It does say there is an editor and that it is iOS only. So it very well may be like the Blueboard.

mbenigni

Quote from: mordecai on September 08, 2015, 12:58:41 PM
Not that I can see in clear writing. It does say there is an editor and that it is iOS only. So it very well may be like the Blueboard.

Beating a dead horse here, but I'll only drop another $100 if they get it working seamlessly with Bias Amps, Bias FX, and JamUp, without any background app.  Failing that, I don't see much improvement over the Blueboard.

whippinpost91850

I see Positive Grid has sold the first 600 BT-4s. But not me just doesn't seem to be a $100+ product

patrick802

marcwormjim

Not even the Blueboard was worth $100 to me ($75, used), and they're competing with essentially the same product, but at a higher price-point. I get that it's "metal where it counts", but the thing will be obsolete as soon as someone else releases a plastic version with only one more switch. And it doesn't help that PG's track record has me expecting they'll react to mass complaints about some functionality to do with this pedal by just promoting next week's product.

Elantric

If it had 12 footswitches and two expression pedal inputs  - i might be interested 

But Positive Grid has a poor batting average with their hardware

and raising $30,000 capital today to build 300 units that will not be delivered until January - Feb 2016 is par for the kickstarter type product capitalization these days

And I'm not seeing anything here that is not already covered by the BlueBoard ( which Ive abandoned due to MIDI over Bluetooth latency)

And 2016 Winter NAMM in January will bring a new round of competition - you might be setup for buyers remorse come Feb 2016

gscroggin

Quote from: Elantric on August 09, 2015, 04:30:46 PM
For best wireless Bluetooth flloor pedal for iPad PG BIAS FX control, I'm currently using Quiccosound mi.1 plugged into the MIDI I/O on an old POD XT Live+EV5 - yields two expression pedals and simultaneous 4 pedals for MIDI patch Change and separate 4 pedals for MIDI CC Control change, Bank Up/Down. Use  Line-6 Edit GUI editor for editing the XTLive MIDI Control assignments   
http://line6.com/software/index.html

Elantric, any reservations at this point with the Quiccosound device? I was debating the PG BT4, Blueboard, or a DIY thing, and came across this thread. As it is I've got tons of MIDI gear (long time synthesist) so I'm quite interested in the mi.1 even outside of the pedal board thing, but the reviews/feedback I've seen on the Internetz seem to be all over the place (including a firmware that bricked the device?) I tend to take this stuff with a grain of salt as it seems at least 80% of the time people don't know what the hell they are doing with technology...curious on your feedback. I'm still rocking a wireless MIDIMAN system from the 80s!

Elantric

QuoteElantric, any reservations at this point with the Quiccosound device?

Yes - IOS9 broke the Quiccosound, and the Japanese support is terrible and not too concerned 

I have a Quiccosound version 1.01 firmware that works great with my iPad Air  / iPhone 6 Plus - as long as I run Quiccosound Control IOS app and make the connection and remain on IOS 8.4.5 I'm good.

I have a 2nd Quiccosound mi.1 that I updated to latest firmware 2.00 - and now it only works with Apple Garageband IOS and nothing else. 

read the Quiccosound thread here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11231.0

iamdave

Hi Folks. I got the new bt4 from positive grid. Seems ok. But I need to use some wah in my setup. A standard boss expression pedal wasn't working.

Would the EX-P from M-audio plugged into the bt4 pedal allow me to operate the wah when using the bias fx or jamup on my ipad?

Thanks,
Dave

Elantric

You are going to have to go diving into MIDI debug mode on IOS

I use an IOS MIDI monitor

and the rest is typical remote MIDI control setup / debug - explained here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

iamdave

Wow that stinks. The blue board and the BT4 both have expression board plugs. Is there any product that is pretty much plug and play to act as a wah then?

Thanks,
Dave

Elantric

IK AMPLITUBE IOS. And IK Blueboard and M-Audio EXP pedal

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: iamdave on December 02, 2015, 09:00:10 AM
Hi Folks. I got the new bt4 from positive grid. Seems ok. But I need to use some wah in my setup. A standard boss expression pedal wasn't working.

Would the EX-P from M-audio plugged into the bt4 pedal allow me to operate the wah when using the bias fx or jamup on my ipad?

Thanks,
Dave

Is there a trick to getting this to work?  I can't seem to get mine to control anything.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973