Positive Grid BT4 Bluetooth Pedal Control for Bias / JamUp Pro

Started by Elantric, January 07, 2014, 12:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Positive Grid  BT4 Bluetooth Pedal Control for Bias / JamUp Pro
http://www.positivegrid.com/bt4/

New BT-4 & BT-2 Bluetooth MIDI Foot Controller

Coming in spring 2014, sign up to get the latest news!

Meet BT-4 Foot Controller

BT-4 is a Bluetooth MIDI foot controller for iPhone and iPad that allows you to control JamUp or other music apps wirelessly.

BT-4 brings the live control solution to iPad®, iPhone® and Mac for just $99. Now guitarists can have a metal case, plug in and play, wireless foot controller at an unprecedented price and experience ultimate tone with the guitar amps and effects in JamUp, BIAS, GarageBand or other compatible applications

Now JamUp users will be able to use BT-4 to toggle between dozens of studio-grade amp and stomp box effects hands free. From toggling amps and effect switches, to switching between presets, controlling Jam Player's iTunes song playback functions, triggering phrase sampler recording and over-dubbing, and even controlling the built-in metronome or tapping out the tempo, wireless and hands free.

Features

Bluetooth MIDI foot controller for iPad and iPhone
Solid metal case with 4 assignable foot switches
Made for JamUp XT, JamUp Pro XT, GarageBand
Send Bank Change, Program Change and Control Changes
External expression pedal jack
Built-in iOS link for plug and play audio interface
Optimized for active/passive pickups for both guitar and bass
BT iOS app runs in background on iOS to send MIDI
AA x 2 batteries
iOS 7 ready

JamUp, GarageBand, OnSong and more...

Designed for JamUp XT and JamUp Pro XT, the BT-4 foot controller also works perfectly with many music apps.

Including* GarageBand, OnSong, AmpliTube, AmpKit and most processing and recording apps.

How It Works

BT-2 and BT-4 foot controllers are MIDI foot controllers based on Bluetooth 4.0 technology. They allow users to assign MIDI messages to the controllers by using an iOS app that edits the assignments. Each and every MIDI-compatible iOS app supports a standard communication protocol that enables them to be controlled wirelessly.

These apps can be from the Positive Grid family of products – JamUp XT and JamUp Pro XT — or any other MIDI-compatible app such as GarageBand, OnSong, Auria and so forth. Both BT pedals can be expanded by adding an expression pedal or footswitch using a ¼-inch phone-type jack, allowing musicians to control rotary functions like whammy and wah effects, keyboard sustain, amp gain and volume, EQ and more.

Technical specs

BT-4 Foot Controller

Connection: Bluetooth 4.0
Buttons: 4 buttons
Guitar Input: 1/4" guitar input
Line Out: L: mono 1/4" jack
Headphone Output: R: stereo 1/8" jack
Expression Pedal Jack: Yes
iOS audio connection: iOS Link 1/8" jack
Battery: AA x 2
Size: 280 x 100 x 37 (mm)
MIDI messages: Bank Change, Program Change, Control Change
BT-2 Foot Controller

Buttons: 2 buttons
Size: 140 x 100 x 37 (mm)
Compatible Devices

BT-4 is compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPod touch 5th generation, iPad Air, iPad 4th generation, iPad 3rd generation and iPad mini. iOS 6.1 or later is required.

Elantric

FWIW  - I'm less impressed with the BT4's built in "Guitar Interface" (which requires a 3.5mm TRRS cable to directly feed the iPad Headset jack) -( Poor headroom and high noise due to running the guitar signal straight into the iPads's noisy Mic Pre is the problem)   but its so little cost to add this so why not.

But the ability to have the switches perform multiple functions should force IK Multimedia to update firmware to Blueboard to provide similar functionality.

Bluetooth Expression pedal will always be sluggish though

mbenigni

I'm a little confused about the pricing of the BT4 and how that ties in with the audio interface feature.  Is the audio I/O optional somehow?  I can't imagine they're delivering the 4-button footcontroller and audio input for $99.

Either way, wish this had been announced 5 minutes before I bought the Blueboard, instead of 5 minutes after.   ::)

mbenigni

QuoteBut the ability to have the switches perform multiple functions should force IK Multimedia to update firmware to Blueboard to provide similar functionality.

This is what I'm hoping for.  I'm in the minority that prefers quiet switches over the "professional" loud metal switches that appear to be in Positive Grid's design, so I'd like to see the Blueboard step up to the task.

Also not too jazzed about running a cable from the floorboard to the iPad; I've already got an iRig Pro for that.  But for someone who hasn't spent any money yet, the BT4 sounds like quite a bargain. ($99 as opposed to $99 + $149 for a Blueboard and iRig Pro.)

QuoteiPad Headset jack

Didn't notice that it was a headset jack input, just assumed it was an audio to lightning feature.  This explains how they've kept the cost so low.  Surprised they went with just a single expression pedal input though, vs. the Blueboard's 2.

Elantric

There is a 2 button version too, the BT-2 - but seems pointless at $79, compared to BT-4 at $99

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/01/07/positive-grid-intros-bluetooth-midi-foot-controllers-w-ios-features/#more-54135

Positive Grid Intros Bluetooth MIDI Foot Controllers w iOS Features
Posted on January 7, 2014 by elisabeth
Positive_Grid_BT-41Positive Grid, maker of mobile guitar apps BIAS and JamUp, today announced the release of the BT-2 and BT-4, two fully-programmable Bluetooth MIDI foot controllers. These two-button and four-button controllers boast I/O features for iPhone, iPad and Mac, allowing hands-free control over iOS and Mac apps.

Users of MIDI-supported apps will be able to switch any parameter without connecting cables — change stomp box effects in real time, raise and lower volume, turn sheet music on a screen.

How it works
Positive_Grid_BT-4_anglePositive Grid's BT-2 and BT-4 foot controllers are MIDI foot controllers based on Bluetooth 4.0 technology. Users can assign MIDI messages to the controllers by using an iOS app that edits the assignments. Each MIDI-compatible iOS app supports a standard communication protocol that enables them to be controlled wirelessly. Both BT pedals can be expanded by adding an expression pedal or footswitch using a 1/4-inch phone-type jack, allowing musicians to control rotary functions like whammy and wah effects, keyboard sustain, amp gain and volume, EQ and more.

Technical specs:

BT-4 Foot Controller

Buttons: 4 buttons
Guitar Input: 1/4? guitar input
Line Out: L: mono 1/4? jack
Headphone Output: R: stereo 1/8? jack
iOS audio connection: iOS Link 1/8? jack
Size: 280 x 100 x 37 (mm)

BT-2 Foot Controller

Buttons: 2 buttons
Size: 140 x 100 x 37 (mm)
Pricing and availability. Positive Grid?s new Bluetooth foot controllers retail for a suggested price of $99.99 (BT-4, four-button set) and $79.99 (BT-2 two-button set), and will be available for purchase sometime this spring. Additional product specs for Positive Grid's new Bluetooth MIDI foot controllers can be found on the Positive Grid website.

mbenigni

The good news is I only paid $79 for the Blueboard.  I suppose if they play nicely with one another I could always use the Blueboard for patch selection and a BT4 for effect on/off.

Elantric

QuoteI suppose if they play nicely with one another I could always use the Blueboard for patch selection and a BT4 for effect on/off.

Thats my dream as well - guess we will know in April, Summer 2014

Ringleader

My blueboard is a creaking cracking unit when flexed. The metal enclosure on this is nice. But I do like the silent switches of the blueboard. If these click I wouldn't be as interested. But dammit I just bought my blueboard too and I absolutely would have waited if I had known this was coming.

Elantric

I bet there will be other Bluetooth pedal board announcements, at 2014 Winter NAMM   - only  16 days away.

DeRigueur

Quote from: Elantric on January 07, 2014, 04:14:50 PM
I bet there will be other Bluetooth pedal board announcements, at 2014 Winter NAMM   - only  16 days away.
Were there any announced?
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

Elantric

Nothing that grabbed my attention - probably best to google "Bluetooth MIDI foot controller" 

Some Home Brew Version exist
http://www.jaycoggin.com/home/ios-midi-over-bluetooth/

lusov

Elantric

QuoteA question regarding expression pedals, does a "regular" expression pedal like a Boss or Behrenger work fine with the BT4?

Of course the Positive Grid BT-4 Bluetooth pedal is still weeks away from release, and no docs exist yet

Today it appears the M-Audio EX-P Expressions Pedal seems to be the most popular type recommended.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalExp?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=COmk_7upiL4CFQZcfgoddFMAfQ

On M-Audio EX-P  - for improved Roland compatibility,  replace the 1K ohm resistor with a straight wire. and set bottom Switch to "Other"
M-Audio EX-P

I'm using two with my IK BluBoard with good results.

I do not recommend the Behringer, its too bulky and needs batteries. and not as flexible as an expression pedal compared to the M-Audio EX-P. There is a mode  switch on the bottom of the EX-P, and if you set this to "Other" then you can use the EX-P with Roland gear too. Just perform a Pedal Calibrate procedure on the host processor and I get good full sweep, and its 1/3 the cost of an EV-5 

Note on some gear- the MAudio EXP can be modified by removing a resistor.
http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/19057
QuoteSo I bought an M-Audio EX-P expression pedal mainly because there are NO EX-1 pedals in my area!!!

1st thing I n oticed was the inherent problem...would NOT fully sweep!!!

So I took it apart and attempted the MOD.

It's SIMPLE and works PERFECTLY!!!

Right after the 1st pot theres a tiny  little board with a 1k resistor (TINY RESISTOR!!!) located at the top. I simply bridged that resistor by adding a wire between it's 2 points and WHALLAH!!! The pedal now works FLAWLESSLY!

I'm going to get another as I need 2 for my M13.... and total cost for TWO will be $60!!!

I am RELY GLAD I gave the EX-P and MOD a go!!!

lusov

tomtheguitarguy

Quote from: Elantric on January 07, 2014, 12:17:23 PM
FWIW  - I'm less impressed with the BT4's built in "Guitar Interface" (which requires a 3.5mm TRRS cable to directly feed the iPad Headset jack) -( Poor headroom and high noise due to running the guitar signal straight into the iPads's noisy Mic Pre is the problem)   but its so little cost to add this so why not.

That thought crossed my mind as well - why wouldn't they go for a lighting/digital type connection to improve audio quality?
http://www.tomtheguitarguy.com ~ http://www.tomcatsband.com
CIJ Blue Floral w/ McVay G Bender
G & L Will Ray Signature ASAT w/ Hipshot B Bender
JTV-69 James Tyler Variax
Fishman TriplePlay ~ Roland GR-55
Dr. Z RxES 2x12
Quilter MicroPro200 10" ~ Quilter Aviator 8" ~ Quilter Steelaire
Bose L1 Classic

mordecai

I am really excited about this as I am just getting into the world of iPad. It's crazy just how much has changed in 3 years with this device. I just completed my Dream Rig purchases and then found Positive Grid Jamup XT and this pedal and almost feel like a chump. BUT I love the Line 6 gear and will hopefully will be able to integrate these two. I've been using my HD500 as a midi controller for awhile to trigger stuff in Ableton but now this pedal will come in real handy with the new iPad coming and help make my back like me a bit more.

What I am really hoping is someone will make a pedal like this or Positive Grid will eventually make an updated version to include the Lightning connector. Not sure why Apple has released a connector type that is just so limited, at least currently.

I have a Lexicon Omega that I am wanting to try out with my iPad. I have seen a lot of interface reviews done here but only for the new stuff but from what I have read the Omega does work. Just not so sure I'd be taking it on stage as it is just a plastic housing.

Has anyone tried the "noise filter" in JamUp with the TRRS input? I can't imagine it really cleans up the signal that much without sonic compromise... But hey I am a noob to the iPad so maybe I'll get surprised.

Elantric

Quotewhy wouldn't they go for a lighting/digital type connection to improve audio quality?
It boils down to cost and what features can be incorporated into a product to differentiate itself from the competition.

Adding a cheap Guitar to iPad TRRS 4 conductor 3.5mm Headset adapter interface to the BT-4 was a trivial  / low cost method to differentiate the BT-4 from the IK BlueBoard. If you have ears, all Guitar to iPad / iPhone TRRS 4 conductor 3.5mm Headset adapter interfaces are rather worthless IMHO, because all are compromised by the noisy Mic Preamp (internal to the iPad/iPad) which must be employed in the signal path.

The best iPad Guitar Interfaces will be  24 bit and will connect to the iPad / Iphone Dock Port
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9903.50
I would only recommend these 24 bit  / lightning port audio interfaces.

* iRig HD
* iRig Pro
* Apogee Jam

If you want to do more with iPad than just guitar ( and need two XLR Mic Pres, 5 pin MIDI I/O and 24 bits and battery power  - then i would point you to this thread
Use Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 + Fishman Tripleplay with iPad on Battery Power
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.0
or

iConnectAudio 4+
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10419.0

I have a Lexicon Omega that I am wanting to try out with my iPad. I have seen a lot of interface reviews done here but only for the new stuff but from what I have read the Omega does work. Just not so sure I'd be taking it on stage as it is just a plastic housing.

Many folks use Omega with iPad

It only requires the Apple USB Camera adapter and a Usb cable - no powered USB Hub required

http://www.wavemachinelabs.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

http://www.lexiconpro.com/en-US/videos/play/I66-zD55f7Q

mbenigni

QuoteBut I do like the silent switches of the blueboard. If these click I wouldn't be as interested.

I've come to appreciate that not all clicking footswitches are created equal.  The worst I've encountered (as I've said over and over) are those used on Native Instruments Rig Kontrol boards.  But for instance, TC Electronics uses a fantastic metal footswitch on their Ditto looper - quiet and smooth, but tactile.  It's the best of both worlds, IMO, and I would choose it over a silent plastic switch, even.  Feels confident and is quiet enough for any environment.  I'm guessing the TC part is more expensive than what you typically encounter on NI, EHX, etc. products.

But who knows what will be on the BT4.

bbob

Quote from: Elantric on July 01, 2014, 07:55:50 AM
Adding a cheap Guitar to iPad TRRS 4 conductor 3.5mm Headset adapter interface to the BT-4 was a trivial  / low cost method to differentiate the BT-4 from the IK BlueBoard. If you have ears, all Guitar to iPad / iPhone TRRS 4 conductor 3.5mm Headset adapter interfaces are rather worthless IMHO, because all are compromised by the noisy Mic Preamp (internal to the iPad/iPad) which must be employed in the signal path.

I'm confused (doesnt' take much).

Will I be able to use an iRig Pro to connect guitar to an iPad Mini lightning connector plus use the BT4 with a M-Audio expression pedal to control Jam Up XT effects on off and volume?

As of right now I am undecided if one should wait for the BT4 or just get a BlueBoard (now $20 off)

Thanks.

Bob

Elantric

Will I be able to use an iRig Pro to connect guitar to an iPad Mini lightning connector plus use the BT4 with a M-Audio expression pedal to control Jam Up XT effects on off and volume?

Yes   Remember the BT-4 is Bluetooth for transmitting the status of the Four Foot Switches and a connected M-Audio EXP-1 Expression Pedal via a wireless Bluetooth connection to your iPhone/ iPad  (no Bluetooth  Audio)

I recommend use any other third party dock port 24 bit Guitar / Audio Interface you prefer - which in my case is iRig Pro.
http://www.db-audioware.com/flying-haggis-ios-user-manual

IK Blueboard has had minor updates that make it usable today, and remember the IK Blueboard supports two expression pedals.

The BT-4 seems to be delayed and its tough to recommend vaporware over the IK Blueboard. As I pointed out earlier, the BT-4's built in Guitar interface and Audio Output jacks  /  Features are no better than one of these jamup-plug Headset adapters:
http://www.positivegrid.com/jamup-plug/

(Which IMHO - is rather worthlesss, since it connects to the iPad's Headset Jack, so your Guitar signal will be severely compromised with poor signal to noise ratio due to the requirement to run your guitar signal through the noisy internal iPad/iPhone Mic Preamp  - so I would not count the BT-4's Audio I/O "Feature" as any advantage over the IK Blueboard.

The remaining "Game Changer" feature (compared to IK Blueboard ) will be if the Positive Grid BT-4 provides a deeper User interface with tighter integration for Positive Grid's apps  - as their press release states :

BT-4 is a Bluetooth MIDI foot controller for iPhone and iPad that allows you to control JamUp or other music apps wirelessly.

BT-4 brings the live control solution to iPad®, iPhone® and Mac for just $99. Now guitarists can have a metal case, plug in and play, wireless foot controller at an unprecedented price and experience ultimate tone with the guitar amps and effects in JamUp, BIAS, GarageBand or other compatible applications

Now JamUp users will be able to use BT-4 to toggle between dozens of studio-grade amp and stomp box effects hands free. From toggling amps and effect switches, to switching between presets, controlling Jam Player's iTunes song playback functions, triggering phrase sampler recording and over-dubbing, and even controlling the built-in metronome or tapping out the tempo, wireless and hands free.

Features

Bluetooth MIDI foot controller for iPad and iPhone
Solid metal case with 4 assignable foot switches
Made for JamUp XT, JamUp Pro XT, GarageBand
Send Bank Change, Program Change and Control Changes
External expression pedal jack

We should know more when the BT-4 eventually ships  - no word yet.

mordecai

Looks like they are now releasing this in "Fall of 2014"... I sure hope so, I have been holding out for this awhile. I did however start using my POD HD500 MIDI functions and the Lexicon Omega with iPad and having great results. Just not all that "portable" seeing as there are a few misc items that I need to carry along. I personally think the POD sounds better than JamUP but ease of use really is great. I have a TC Helicon VoiceSolo mounted to my mic stand along with the iPad so my guitar and a small bag are all I need for a gig. Love the portability but can't beat the dt25 and HD500. Here's to hoping for "Fall"!

Elantric

Many rave about the customer support from Positive Grid, but in my opinion its a company with many diverse projects, throw many darts at the wall , then place their resources on clear profit centers.

Latest press releases indicate they are working with Apple to integrate elements of their Final Touch Mastering app for a new AAC standard  - to raise the bar towards higher audio performance 
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/09/30/final-touch-update-now-with-aac-format-preview/#more-59063

But in a world where the Ik Blueboard sells for $67,  i really doubt their version (Positive Grid BT-4 ) can make an impact or compete
http://camelcamelcamel.com/IK-Multimedia-Blueboard-wireless-controller/product/B00BIPL9JW

Elantric

For 2015 Winter NAMM

http://www.positivegrid.com/

I see Positive Grid removed bulk of their hardware links- seems the BT4 is "dead"  along with JamPlug HD interface

They are seeking an "online evangelist" for BIAS Desktop
http://www.positivegrid.com/2014/11/job-opportunity-bias-desktop-online-evangelist/

Let your passion be your day to day work! If you are an energetic guitar player, you can't miss this opportunity: Positive Grid is looking for several artist relations representatives to have the ultimate paid internship experience by becoming a BIAS Desktop Online Evangelist throughout January and March 2015.

We are one of the fastest growing music technology companies in the industry, with over 1 million users from all over the world. Our latest release, BIAS Desktop, is changing the way guitarists around the world create amp tones with the product's gorgeous and intuitive design, powerful amp design features, and the revolutionary Amp Matching technology, capable of capturing any real amp tone.

We have a culture of innovation, collaboration, and creativity. If you share this vision with us, then we want to hear from you.

Responsibilities:

-Build artist relationships working with artists to create BIAS Desktop artists presets and videos.

-Build relationships with artists, engineers, producers to create BIAS Desktop studio presets and videos.

-Execute marketing activities to increase awareness and downloads of BIAS Desktop by online posting, social network, etc.

-Generation of new ideas and contributing to the overall improvement of BIAS Desktop product and user community.

-Manage multiple social media outlets, i.e., Forum, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.

-Identify and reach out to potential local influencers, artists and media.

-Collaborate with the Positive Grid Marketing Team via online brainstorming sessions and learning seminars

-Communicate daily with BIAS Desktop program supervisors

-Build relationships with guitar community such as local bands, guitar teachers, music forum leaders, music stores owners

Knowledge/Abilities/Skills:

-Must be a self-starter, passionate about promoting spirit of Rock 'N Roll

-Ability to identify, recruit and work with worldwide artists on a daily basis.

-Successful experience with social media management

-Ability to effectively communicate in English orally and in writing

-Interest in Public Relations, Marketing, Entrepreneurship or Social Media

-Have a medium to wide social circle in the local guitar community.

-Must be familiar with BIAS Desktop

-Good to have prior experience as an artist relations representative

BENEFITS & PERKS:

-Build a strong resume by repping for one of the fastest growing music company today

-Competitive stipend and chance to earn performance-based cash bonuses

-Participate in learning seminars with Positive Grid Executives including the founder and creator of JamUp, as well as seasoned business development, editorial, PR and tech professionals

How to apply:

– send message and resume to jaime@positivegrid.com

– please include your band/music and social network experience

– location: anywhere

mbenigni

QuoteThey are seeking an "online evangelist" for BIAS Desktop

Man, I'd love that job, but I don't think I could handle the cut in pay.  :)  Maybe there are a few younger guys here (read: no mortgage, no kids) who could take up the mantle.

Elantric

Job Opportunity – BIAS Desktop Online Evangelist
BENEFITS & PERKS:

-Competitive stipend

00:36 mark

Quote"I get what they call a "stipend" . . . a stipend is like money, but its such a low amount that they don't really call it . .  "money" . . they call it a "stipend", and I get a discount whenever I need anything inflated