VG-99 Editor Using the Editor

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 08:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paresh

That could be the reason - I had no idea you weren't supposed to do that.
paresh

bruce.james

I have no such problems with crashes.  I can spin the Jog wheel quickly through hundreds of patches and the Editor keeps up just fine.  (Vista 32 Ultimate; USB via a USB 2.0 hub)

ktat

For what it's worth, I do the same with my mac book.  I spin the wheel and edit either on the surface of the vg or in the editor when I feel like it and I never have any issues.

KT

s0c9

FWIW - mine has NOt crashed since I switched to USB [from MIDI].
I too can spin the wheel or make patch changes and they show up in Editor - while it's running..

My crashes were defintely MIDI related. Was getting the "Failure to communicate" message(s) on both Editor and Librarian.
Since swapping to USB....   yeah.. Baby !!!   It's bee-u-ti-ful.. no crashes at all...  ;D

s0c9

I'd like to see the Librarian functionality - limited as it is - included in Edit, plus its one less package to maintain.
Why ?
I want to be able to manage patch location with drag-and-drop !
With 200 User patches, trying to remember what exactly is where is tough.  Scrolling from 5 to 143 is not real quick.
I want to be able to organize them as I use them, and be able to move 189 to 005, or move multiples from one location to another.
Yes, I know [that in current version 1.01] when you "Write" you can select the target patch, but moving lots of patches around like this is a PITA.  I want a before/after approach.... something like this...

Select "Patch Manager..." from main menu.
This opens the standard patch window list with a two panel [pane] display. Current Patch list on left, with a duplicate list in right panel.
I want to select one or more patches - using standard win controls shift or ctrl to select - then drag from list on left and drop onto target in right pane.
I then click on the "Update" button at the bottom [next to Exit], which updates the patch order in the VG99, and the patch order changes [in both panes] to the order I just created.
If I close the window without clicking Update, I want to have the option to apply changes or discard them on exit.

With the current "write" process, the target patch is overlaid and you need to back it up [Export to SMF], import it, then write to another location to still have it available.
With this addition I can move 189 from the left and drop it on 005 on the right.
I can then move 005 from the left and drop it on 189 on the right.
When I click update, they simply swap locations. Easy  [where's that button ??]

This is patch management 101 guys....
Anyone see a benefit to this ??

-Steve

TygermanGB

Good post Dude. (I can say that I'm in California) It's missing all the advanced edit features you need to manage the patches. The favorites are good but every panel has to have them. The controller window is the one I need most. And its way too hard to rearrange the patches. And there's no patch chains.

I'm still digging all the sounds I'm getting off it. Just wish the editor was more then a toy.

Cheers,
-Ty
Parker Guitars - VG-99, VG-8ex, GR-55, GP-10, US-20 and Bidule/Mobious/Jamstix NI for soft synths

Paresh

allow the patch list window to stay open so I can easily surf patches...maybe double click to open the patch to save a step - instead of selecting it & then clicking OK. (Sorry if this has already been suggested).
paresh

Paresh

Allow the categories window to open so we can select patches from out of one category. (Is there a way to do this? I haven't found it.)
paresh

ktat

I often use the same patch in multiple banks.  When I modify one of those, I love to have an option of say "change all with the same name?"  It's a pain to write all of them again all the time.

sixeight

It would be great if you could right click on any parameter and assign it to a controller. This would also be nice for the unit itself. Now it's sometimes quite hard to find the parameter I want to assign.

Elantric

Back-up ALL your current patches first.

Back-up ALL your current patches first.

YOU MUST INSTALL THE LATEST VG-99  Editor.

.g9e = VG-99 Editor patch file

We avoid using these, because they always contain the user system preferences data. If you load a g9e file - it Will overwrite and change things you do not want changed.

Its best to disconnect the USB cable, Launch the VG-99 Editor Ver. 1.01, Load the .g9e patch file you want to try, (File, Open) then Export and save the Patch data only , this extracts the patch data, and strips away the user system data- (Export SMF, Patch, Save As)

sixeight

I always use the import function of the editor (File - Import - User Data), and import just the user data. That way I never get someone elses system settings. It saves the hassle of unplugging the VG-99.

Elantric

I think you mean:

"I always use the import function of the editor (File - Import - Patch), and import just the Patch. "

Billy Kaffadrin

I would like the Synth Model "Detail" edit windows to operate like conventional VST Instrument windows - meaning the graphics of a GR300 (for example) should actually function, should have working controls/knobs.  And it would be even more cool if "alt clicking" or "option clicking" on one of those knobs opened up an assignment window, where you could link a controller to that chosen function.  Then one could put together a GR300 setup that operates in real time as an original GR300 does.  Roland legacy users, including myself would be grateful for that.

I would also like a firmware update (software, no?) that allows a small Edirol USB interface to function as an audio insert loop for the VG99 on the USB port.  Then users could incorporate vintage distortion pedals into a setup, or create a chain that better incorporates the VG99 into real amps, or multiple amp setups  ( forgoing amp modeling, but using COSM guitars and the Effects. )  Example, VG99GtrModel - VG99PedalFX - Real Amp preamp - Real Amp loop out - VG99Reverb/Delayfx -Real Amp loop return.  Meanwhile, the "B" Chain could be a synth model routed directly into the Real Amp Loop return, or an acoustic model to FX and out the VG99 Mixer in stereo to a PA or keyboard amp.

Billy

bubblebeat

Hi,

I just got the above error message today after plugging back my VG-99 to my Dell laptop, it happens with both the editor and the librarian (latest versions).
The VG does not appear under the menu 'Set Up MIDI Devices'.
I've been using the VG for months now and I never had any issue with it. I've plugged it on a different PC last week and it worked fine.
The VG is seen by XP (SP2) and it can be used as a USB sound card (both in/out)
I've changed the USB port, reinstalled the USB drivers, rebooted PC and VG-99 multiple times, same message.
I do not have any MIDI device connected either.
The only things that have changed are:
•   A windows update done last week (I did not installed SP3 but all other updates execpt for the IE ones)
•   A change of the VG USB output settings using a friend's PC

That's a pretty wierd message since everything should be fine. It is quite annoying really especially after receiving a brand new RC-50 waiting to be (ab)used!  ;)

Has anyone experienced the same problem or has the solution for it?

Cheers.

lo.

Brent Flash

Quote from:  bubblebeat on July 21, 2008, 03:47:14 AM
Hi,
I just got the above error message today after plugging back my VG-99 to my Dell laptop, it happens with both the editor and the librarian (latest versions).
The VG does not appear under the menu 'Set Up MIDI Devices'.
I've been using the VG for months now and I never had any issue with it. I've plugged it on a different PC last week and it worked fine.
The VG is seen by XP (SP2) and it can be used as a USB sound card (both in/out)
I've changed the USB port, reinstalled the USB drivers, rebooted PC and VG-99 multiple times, same message.
I do not have any MIDI device connected either.
The only things that have changed are:
•   A windows update done last week (I did not installed SP3 but all other updates execpt for the IE ones)
•   A change of the VG USB output settings using a friend's PC
That's a pretty wierd message since everything should be fine. It is quite annoying really especially after receiving a brand new RC-50 waiting to be (ab)used!  ;)
Has anyone experienced the same problem or has the solution for it?
Cheers.
lo.
Did you reinstall Windows? ;D Just kidding but if you have worked with Windows a while you may know what I mean. Also I am assuming you did change out the USB cable. That is the message you get when the VG-99 is not on or plugged in.

It is early in the morning here and I am sure as the day goes on some PC guys will help out more. That is all I can add for now. i know it's not much. Sorry!  :'( If I can think of anything else I will chime back in.

RushFan

Windows is definitely weird like that. I'd been plugging the VG into a front-panel USB port. There's two, and when I tried to use the other one once time it was like XP didn't recognize that the software was already installed for it. When I cancelled the install, the Editor said the same thing about MIDI devices not being set up.

Elantric

On Any PC or any Mac -  its best to choose the specific USB port you want to run the VG-99 with, and never move the cable to a different USB Port. Each USB Port is actually at a unique physical memory address and it confuses the OS and the VG-99 Driver  - often it may require a complete re-install of the Roland USB Driver - just by simply plugging into the wrong USB Port .

BTW - This same problems happens with Line6 Gear or any other USB Gear too. 

bubblebeat

QuoteDid you reinstall Windows? Grin Just kidding but if you have worked with Windows a while you may know what I mean
too bloody right!
Well, thanks for your input guys. I have tried using my other XP system (dual boot) that has been designed/tuned for audio (no internet access) and I have the same problem so it does no look like a windows issue. I do however remember changing some settings on the VG-99 as I wanted to set the USB out to the COSM-A guitar at my friends place without using the VG software. As I could not we had to install the editor on his laptop and make the change. I quickly went thru the setiings yesterday and it seems fine. I could do a factory reset but I haven't backed-up my patches recently, duh!
I will contact Roland.

cheers.

Brent Flash

Quote from:  bubblebeat on July 21, 2008, 04:00:24 PM
too bloody right!
Well, thanks for your input guys. I have tried using my other XP system (dual boot) that has been designed/tuned for audio (no internet access) and I have the same problem so it does no look like a windows issue. I do however remember changing some settings on the VG-99 as I wanted to set the USB out to the COSM-A guitar at my friends place without using the VG software. As I could not we had to install the editor on his laptop and make the change. I quickly went thru the setiings yesterday and it seems fine. I could do a factory reset but I haven't backed-up my patches recently, duh!
I will contact Roland.
cheers.
Make sure you are installing the latest versions of the driver and editor. I am not up on what they are but sustainiac and others here are.

bubblebeat

Hi,

My problem is now fixed. Issue was due to some VG's settings that I mistakenly changed (Driver mode and Omni mode)
FYI, here are the default settings:

Output Settings
Output Mode:    Patch
Main Out:          Mixer
Main Level:        100
Sub Out:           Mixer
Sub Level:         100
D Out:               Main Out
D Out Level:      100

USB Settings
USB In:             Main & Sub
In Level:            100
USB Out:          Main Out
Out Level:          100
Driver Mode:      Advanced
MON CMD:       Disabled
Direct Mon:       On

MIDI Settings
MIDI Ch:         7ch
Omni Mode:      On
Device ID:          1

Cheers.

frethead

can anyone help, I can't seem to get my vg and editor to respond to each other.......................dave

Brent Flash

Hey Dave,
I think the reason no one has chimed in is we would need more information to help you out. Like what computer, OS, versions of OS, Editor, VG-99, etc.

Then maybe we can start giving something to try.

frethead

thanx for the quick reply, for some reason the vg99 itself wasn't installed but I got that corrected and all seems to work well now. Having trouble installing the updated drivers tho. My operating system is XP Home edition, on a P4, dual core (2gig chips) 2 gigs of ram. Could use some help on the updating driver thing tho................thanx, dave

Kutenai

Every time I have used it.

The Librarian won't load sounds unless I load the sound by double clicking it. The Librarian starts up - loads! Yay! Off we go. If I have the program already started and load from the menu - it crashes.

The editor is a complete hazard.... every time I have used it to load other patches that load and overwrite my GK settings. It does not warn you that system and global setting can be overwritten. I do realize this is also the fault of the idiots who upload their system info too - but it's completely annoying. 3 times now I have lost hours of work setting up the VG99 to work with my Godin MultiAcc Jazz. The 'initialize patch' doesn't initialize the temporary area it actually initializes the patch so if you aren't working on blank patch it can overwrite your hard work. Every other 'patch' or setting altered by the Editor does it in the temporary area!!! AARRGHH!!!

I finally realised what I was doing wrong - using the software at all. It's now off my system. The SMFplayer works perfectly. And now I 'bulk dump' only to a midi file to save my setting and patches.

Don't get me wrong I love my VG99 but the software is awful - no wonder they supply it free.