What an awesome place you have here!

Started by Lzybdha, April 02, 2015, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lzybdha

Hi there.  I'm Tate and live just outside of Boston, MA (in Needham for anyone local to that area.) 

I've been picking on my Flamenco guitar for quite a few years, but now I'm looking to make the jump into electric and synth.  I'm a big fan of Talking Heads and Peter Gabriel as well as Brian Eno sort of ambient stuff.  So, I'd love to get a synth axe and something like the GR-55 and pair that up with a loop station.  This thread is not the right place, but you will probably see me looking for some buying advice.  I'll do my best to search the existing information, but I have been having a hard time finding a place to try out some of this equipment in person.  So, I have a lot of questions!

As I have been cruising through the internet researching the topic I kept finding posts from this forum popping up with great information and I started just reading posts here.  It really seems like a great group of members and some impressive experience.  I'm very happy to join the party!

I don't even know how to spell noob

Elantric

Welcome to the VGuitarforums!

Check in box for Group buys

whippinpost91850

Tate,  you are certainly welcome to the party. Paul

gvidelock

Welcome aboard!

I work in Newton and live near Chelmsford. I play in two bands in that area, one full up rock combo and the other an acoustic act with our lead singer.

If you're noodling on a Flamenco / nylon you might want to look at Godin's offerings with synth access.

...Gary
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

MrEd

Welcome!

I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been to me. Great resource.

I would also like to echo what Gary mentioned about the Godin nylon – I am really enjoying mine.

Mike

Lzybdha

Thanks for the welcome everyone! 

I work in the Fenway and tried the one ACS-SA that they had in the Guitar Center there.  Playing through a Loud box Mini and a Bose L1 I have to say that the straight sound out was not something for me even though the playability was really great  There are so many things wrong with that situation that I'm sure I was not getting the best out of the instrument.  Still, since I already have a nylon string that I like, I'm thinking about going the Godin LGXT route. I just missed one for pretty cheap on Reverb because of indecision and because I have never had a chance to even play this model.  Do any Boston people know of a place I can actually play Godin SA models?  It would be great if I could play any of these since it seems crazy to buy a guitar I have never played.  I like the looks of them, though, and if a LGXT some up for $1,100 again I'll have hard time not pulling the trigger.

In any case, looking to get into  V-Guiar set up soon and it is already clear what a great resource this forum is!
I don't even know how to spell noob

Vade

Welcome! I started here as a complete newbie just about a year ago and it's been all downhill ever since;)

I can't tell you where to try a Godin guitar around Boston but if you're considering the LGXT (like I am) you may be interested in this site since these guitars go on sale at a massive discount from time to time.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Godin-Solid-3-Voice-Electric-Guitar/product/B000EGHLT8?context=browse
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

gvidelock

I'm not sure where you can play an SA around the area. I happened to be on vacation in Montreal when I tried out the Godin Spectrum Steel SA and the Freeway that I eventually purchased.

I did buy my first Godin (LGX-SA, which I sold a couple of years ago) at The Music Emporium in Arlington, but I think it was a fluke that they had it there (probably a trade-in). They had a GR-30 that I was able to play it through. At the time I had a VG-88 at home.

You can check with the local dealers on their site (http://www.godinguitars.com/dealersma.htm) and see if they have a GR-55 or something in stock to play with in the store. They list Mr Music in Allston and Rick's Music in Raynham among others.
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head