VG-99 - Here We Go Again

Started by giffenf, October 31, 2016, 12:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giffenf

This is one of those "1st-world" kind of problems, or at least, a good problem to have.  And it's not really a problem.  I have a lot of gear.  Way more than I need.  Multiple tools to accomplish the same thing, which is to play guitar in a band.  Guitars, pedals, amps, multi-effects units, guitar synths, and the 10-year-old "Future of Guitar," the VG-99.  With no particular regularity, I rotate my rig of preference.  I'll go with a Pedaltrain full of analog pedals, or a different Pedaltrain with a GP-10 and a few other pedals, or the VG-99 with an augmented FC-300 (augmented with 4 FS-7s to accommodate all the CTL pedal possibilities).  Sometimes it's inspired by a less-than-stellar experience with what I'm using, or a curiosity about whether I could do the current band set through the 99, or just a desire for something different. 

The funny thing about this process is, every time I cycle around to the VG-99, I find something new that it can do that I hadn't noticed before, and manage to fine-tune/tweak patches so they sound or work even better than they did before.  And in the process, I'm re-awed by the flexibility and versatility of this device.  This weekend I hauled out the 99 and the 300, and plugged it all in, and re-compared patches to the set list.  Tweaked the EQ on some, added some Control Assigns for a lot of them, and got it gig-ready.  I also updated my RJ45-to-1/4" adapter so I can use the Amp Control jacks on the 300 to switch channels and kick the Boost on and off on my Quilter amp.  Between the control panel on the 99, and the VG-99 Editor, it's just a joy to play with.  And while the tone may not be quite as organic as a set of analog pedals, it sounds pretty close to me, the rest of the band thinks it sounds great, and they're way fussier than an audience will ever be.  So now I'm blissfully into my digital tour of duty, and am eager to see how rehearsals with this rig in 2 different bands this week turn out.  Barring any issues, it'll see action on the Election Night gig in Burbank.  No problems here, just sharing the love.

aliensporebomb

Most people are busy looking at what you are playing and how you are playing it rather than worrying about "boutique tone".  I honestly think the VG-99 meets or exceeds any conventional guitar rig I've ever owned and the sheer flexibility inherent in the system has multiple ways to address any potential shortcoming.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.