VG-99 - Issues with VG-99 Editor but working well with Cubase...

Started by Spawn-X, October 18, 2016, 03:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spawn-X

P'tit lu all...

I experiment some issue recently while using my VG-99 with Editor.
I use my VG-99 for a Muse tribute band, and for exemple, I can drive pitch on VG from a MIDI CC on Cubase via USB for Map Of The Problematique. So, VG-99 USB connection looks good. VG-99 is well known on my Windows 8.1.
But, VG-99 Editor refuse to recognise it since some days. I don't change anything on my computer last days.
To diagnostic, I tried different USB ports, different USB cables, I tried to uninstall/reinstall editor and then USB driver without any result...
While launching VG-99 Editor, it still tell me "MIDI devices aren't set up" but after testing any MIDI In and Out entrance, I still have no result...
Of course, Librarian follow the same way and don't work too...
Now, I don't know where to take a look on my computer... :-(...
Is anybody experiment any comparable issue?

Sorry for my bad English. I'm just a poor lonesome froguitarist...

So, feel free to correct me if I make a mistake...

Gears: V-Guitar: VG-99+FC-300; GP-10; AX100MKII; Nord Modular G2 Engine.
DAW: Cubase Pro 9.5 + BabyFace + RC-50

Elantric

after the VG-99 is connected via USB cable to your Win8.1 computer, Verify the VG-99 is listed as a Windows Audio Interface under "WINDOWS Control Panel, Sounds"

If you do not see the VG-99 listed, then you have a VG-99 USB Driver conflict / issue

Read VG-99 USB Driver for Windows 8.1 instructions "READ_ME.htm"
https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/vg-99/updates_drivers/3b02690a-39f0-4355-873e-0e4eb0ff4509/

VG-99 USB Driver Ver.1.0.1 for Windows® 8/8.1 INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

(SEE ATTACHED PDF)

Spawn-X

Quote from: Elantric on October 18, 2016, 03:14:43 PM
after the VG-99 is connected via USB cable to your Win8.1 computer, Verify the VG-99 is listed as a Windows Audio Interface under "WINDOWS Control Panel, Sounds"

If you do not see the VG-99 listed, then you have a VG-99 USB Driver conflict / issue
Thank you Elantric,
No problemo on this way. I see OUT 4- VG-99 Ready on Play tab and IN 4- VG-99 Ready on Record tab.  :-\

Elantric

be sure you have mapped the VG-99 Editor and VG-99 Librarian to connect to the VG-99 as MIDI device

read the "Help" file in the VG-99 Editor

--

2. Connections and Settings

Following the instructions in the VG-99 Owner's Manual, install the driver.
Following the instructions in the VG-99 Owner's Manual, connect the VG-99 and your computer. You cannot run VG-99 Editor if the VG-99 and the computer are not properly connected.
Turn on the power to the VG-99, then start up VG-99 Editor.
If you are using a USB connection and running VG-99 Editor for the first time, be sure to select "Set Up MIDI Devices..." from the "Setup" menu to open the dialog, then select "Roland VG-99 CONTROL" for "VG-99 Input/Output."
If connecting through means other than USB, specify the port connected to the VG-99.
For "Device ID," select the same number as the "DEVICE ID" parameter on the VG-99 (SYSTEM -> MIDI -> DEVICE ID).
* Do not disconnect the USB cable connecting the VG-99 while VG-99 Editor is running.
* If the USB cable is disconnected and reconnected while the VG-99 is in use, or if the power of the VG-99 is turned off, then on again, it may stop operating correctly. If this occurs, after resuming, you should exit all applications that use the VG-99, and turn the power of the VG-99 off, then on again.

Spawn-X

No problem on this way...
Device ID is the same on Editor and VG...
It still incomprehensible ... ...
I use my VG and its editor like that since many years without any problem...

Elantric

Try Closing all other Audio apps (including Cubase) - prior to launching the VG-99 Editor or VG-99 librarian

the Roland VG-99 USB (Audio / MIDI) driver for Windows 8.1 supports only one connection to one app at a time   

Spawn-X

Quote from: Elantric on October 18, 2016, 04:00:25 PM
Try Closing all other Audio apps (including Cubase) - prior to launching the VG-99 Editor or VG-99 librarian

the Roland VG-99 USB (Audio / MIDI) driver for Windows 8.1 supports only one connection to one app at a time

I experiment this issue since many days. My computer was rebooted many times without any Cubase or other audio apps launched. Also, I don't use my VG-99 as audio device on my computer. I use it only as MIDI device.

I really think the problem is not here. I fear there's another problem on my Editor installation. But that's why I can't understand this problem, because I don't change anything about it since many many months.

I think I'll try to uninstall Editor deeply by cleaning Windows register before reinstalling it...

Elantric

Verify the VG-99 DEVICE ID matches the VG-99 Editor DEVICE ID 

And Verify no other Windows application is seizing the "Roland VG-99 CONTROL" MIDI I/O port.

and be sure to Run only one app at a time

VG-99 Editor or VG-99 Librarian (not both at once)  - conflicts occur if both apps are running at the same time

Spawn-X

Quote from: Elantric on October 18, 2016, 04:14:16 PM
Verify the VG-99 DEVICE ID matches the VG-99 Editor DEVICE ID 

And Verify no other Windows application is seizing the VG-99 MIDI Port

and be sure to Run only one app at a time

VG-99 Editor or VG-99 Librarian (not both at once)  - conflicts occur if both apps are running at the same time
Déjà verified many days before my post ;)...
No way... I'll try to uninstal deeply... :-(

Spawn-X

Always no solution...
I tried to update Flash and Java, but still in wrong way...  :'(

admin

Questions:

* What Make / Model computer ?

* What version operating system ?

Spawn-X

Thank you for answer.

ASUS G750JW ROG
Intel i7-4700HQ @ 2.40GHz
DDR 16Go
Windows 8.1 64Bits

Tried and working well on my old notebook
Samsung NC10
Intel ATOM N270 @ 1.60GHz
RAM 798MHz of 0.99Go
Windows XP family SP3

Of course, it's ok on its notebook, but it's lagging and the screen is to small to display the totality of the VG-99 EDITOR.

Spawn-X

Tonight I plan to update all drivers (USB, Wireless, etc...) and BIOS of my ROG laptop.

Spawn-X

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Still the same issue...
I was updated all I can update: Bios, USB controller, etc..
I retried to uninstall VG-99 Editor, then totally cleaning Windows Register (manually and then via CCleaner), reinstall it...
I updated Java and Flash (not sure if Editor uses one of them)...
Of course, I tried to uninstall/reinstall VG-99 USB driver, but no way...
Editor don't want to keep the MIDI setup I set on...
To remember my problem, my VG-99 work perfectly with EDITOR on a to hold and to small notebook running Windows XP. On my STAN's laptop, I experiment no other issue with VG-99 while I control them from a MIDI track in Cubase, Live or Reason. The problem is in the EDITOR only...
I turn mad!!! Please! Help!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Elantric

Avoid USB 3.0 ports.

lets understand - you are running VG-99 Editor on Windows OS

and you are trying to run Cubase at the same time as the VG-99 Editor, and Editor does not function.

on Windows OS  you get to run only ONE app at a time that is connected with the VG-99 via USB (not able to run both Cubase AND VG-99 Editor at same time)

and you have verified you have installed the VG-99 USB Driver?

Close down Cubase, and all other running apps  - then launch VG-99 Editor and click "HELP" and read the VG-99 Editor manual  - to be sure the VG-99 USB MIDI connections are configured for your VG-99

look below  - I have attached a PDF version of the VG-99 Editor manual with all instructions

Spawn-X

Quote from: Elantric on November 18, 2016, 02:15:55 PM
Avoid USB 3.0 ports.

lets understand - you are running VG-99 Editor on Windows OS

and you are trying to run Cubase at the same time as the VG-99 Editor, and Editor does not function.

No no no!! All my tests are with Editor only. But before my recent issue, I used simultaneously Editor and Cubase, Live or Reason every day without any problem!...
That was the same with my 2 precedent Windows computers, since 2009...  :-\
The problem is not here...

Quote from: Elantric on November 18, 2016, 02:15:55 PMon Windows OS  you get to run only ONE app at a time that is connected with the VG-99 via USB (not able to run both Cubase AND VG-99 Editor at same time)
No, you're in mistake. I can assure you I was using Editor open at the same time while Cubase or other DAWs was too.

Quote from: Elantric on November 18, 2016, 02:15:55 PMand you have verified you have installed the VG-99 USB Driver?
Hum...  ::) Are you kidding me? ;)...
I'm 41 years old and start to use computers for music with DAWs since Atari and Amiga around 1987. My first DAW was Pro 16 before Steinberg renamed it Cubase. ;)... Just to tell I'm not a noob  :P
Also, I wrote:
Quote from: Spawn-X on November 18, 2016, 01:36:53 PMOf course, I tried to uninstall/reinstall VG-99 USB driver, but no way...

Quote from: Elantric on November 18, 2016, 02:15:55 PMClose down Cubase, and all other running apps  - then launch VG-99 Editor and click "HELP" and read the VG-99 Editor manual  - to be sure the VG-99 USB MIDI connections are configured for your VG-99
To be clear, I talked about Cubase in this topic subject to tell that my VG-99 is working well while I'm made some MIDI automations from my DAW. It was only to precise that is only the EDITOR who is dis-functioning.

So, to be more precise on my diagnostic:
-I launch VG-99 Editor who is kidding me and tell I don't set up my MIDI ports.
-I go to Setup > Set Up MIDI devices...
-I set VG-99 CONTROL for both Input and Output fields
-I click OK
-I go  to Setup > Set Up MIDI devices... a second time and... TADAAAAAA!!! the only thing I can do is looking for both Input/Output fields still empty...

VG-99 EDITOR is not able to conserve my settings... THAT IS THE PROBLEM... ;)

Spawn-X

Of course, Roland CE still totally muted to my emails...  :'(

Spawn-X

Quote from: Spawn-X on November 18, 2016, 03:25:07 PMSo, to be more precise on my diagnostic:
-I launch VG-99 Editor who is kidding me and tell I don't set up my MIDI ports.
-I go to Setup > Set Up MIDI devices...
-I set VG-99 CONTROL for both Input and Output fields
-I click OK
-I go  to Setup > Set Up MIDI devices... a second time and... TADAAAAAA!!! the only thing I can do is looking for both Input/Output fields still empty...

VG-99 EDITOR is not able to conserve my settings... THAT IS THE PROBLEM... ;)

Oh, and of course, it's the same issue with VG-99 Librarian...  :'(

Elantric

Quote! the only thing I can do is looking for both Input/Output fields still empty...

If your VG-99 Editor Input / Output fields are empty - this indicates the problem is the VG-99 USB driver NOT installed

https://www.roland.com/us/products/vg-99/downloads/

Get the VG-99 USB Driver for your specific Windows OS here (Windows 8.1 64Bits)
https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/vg-99/updates_drivers/3b02690a-39f0-4355-873e-0e4eb0ff4509/

and you do not need FLASH or JAVA to run the VG-99 Editor

BE SURE TO REVIEW ALL FILES IN THE EXTRACTED ZIP DOWNLOAD and click on "README.HTM"

If you are using a recent Windows computer - Roland is serious when they mention -the VG-99 USB Driver is NOT compatible with USB 3.0 ports

Elantric

And be sure the VG-99 DEVICE ID on your actual VG-99 matches the DEVICE ID here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19061.msg137134#msg137134

Quote2. Connections and Settings

* Following the instructions in the VG-99 Owner's Manual, install the Roland VG-99 USB driver for your specific operating system
https://www.roland.com/us/products/vg-99/downloads/

* Following the instructions in the VG-99 Owner's Manual, connect the VG-99 and your computer with a USB cable. You cannot run VG-99 Editor if the VG-99 and the computer are not properly connected.

* Turn on the power to the VG-99, then start up VG-99 Editor.

* If you are using a USB connection and running VG-99 Editor for the first time, be sure to select "Set Up MIDI Devices..." from the "Setup" menu to open the dialog, then select "Roland VG-99 CONTROL" for "VG-99 Input/Output." If connecting through means other than USB, (5 pin MIDI I/O) specify the third party MIDI port connected to the VG-99.

* For "Device ID," select the same number as the "DEVICE ID" parameter on the VG-99 (SYSTEM -> MIDI -> DEVICE ID).

* Do not disconnect the USB cable connecting the VG-99 while VG-99 Editor is running.

* If the USB cable is disconnected and reconnected while the VG-99 is in use, or if the power of the VG-99 is turned off, then on again, it may stop operating correctly. If this occurs, after resuming, you should exit all applications that use the VG-99, and turn the power of the VG-99 off, then on again.

and read the PDF files

Spawn-X

Spawn-X

Spawn-X

admin

I suspect your best bet is contacting local Roland Support.

Apparently yours is a unique problem not seen by others

Spawn-X

Quote from: admsustainiac on November 25, 2016, 04:31:58 PM
I suspect your best bet is contacting local Roland Support.

Apparently yours is a unique problem not seen by others

:-[ I tried to contact them many times before posting here. But they never answered... :'(