GR-55 - George Harrison - What is life

Started by TayzGpa, July 17, 2014, 07:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TayzGpa

I am trying to come up with a patch that mimics the opening guitar lead in George Harrisons - What Is Life.
Does anyone have something that is close.  Something that simple shouldnt be a problem, but the more I tweak it the worse it sounds.
Thanks in advance.

papabuss

Some help from WIKI...

....."The recording is defined by Harrison's descending, fuzztone guitar riff, which also serves as the motif for the chorus. The track opens with this riff, which is then joined by Radle's bass and "churning" rhythm guitar from Clapton, before Gordon's drums bring the full band in. During the verses, Gordon moves to a square, Motown-style beat – or "rock-steady Northern soul backbeat" in Leng's words– before returning to the "galloping rhythm" of the more open, "knockout" choruses, and the song is driven equally by Badfinger drummer Mike Gibbins' powerful tambourine work...."
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

sloopdawg

As with alot of Georges' songs... what a great tune
I haven't heard it in a long long time
Thanks for reminding me, just as good today as it was when it was released

billbax

Hi TayzGpa,

Had a go at three patches this morning.  Patches attached below.

It's a SITAR>60's FUZZ>CHORUS(to give it stereo width)>REVERB (small room 1.0sec)

You can get a similar sitar effect by holding the palm of the hand on the bridge - one string at a time.

See this...

The patches aren't spot on, but with a bit more work who knows.

Cheers,

Bill

TayzGpa

Thank you Billbax.  Will give them a try.  Gotta say, I'm still learning this thing (gr55).  Sometimes (most times) I can get the sound I want. Sometimes not.   Thanks again.  Will let you know how it turns out.

Update:  Loaded the patches into the gr55.  Awesome.  I never thought to use the sitar as the basis.  Should have known with George.  ;-)
Took the second and tweaked it a little bit.  Sounds great.
Thanks again for all your help.