GR-55 - AC/DC tone

Started by Jim Williams, February 19, 2014, 06:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

I have looked at so many posts requesting a AC\DC patch. I searched the internet for isolated Angus guitar tracks and found his tone was very different from track to track and his tone is always helped by his brother who also has some great tone. So I garbed the most famous tone "Back in Black" and sat down by my computer and did my by best to duplicate it for you all. I never try to duplicate other guitar players tone but I do learn my parts right and knowing your parts always trumps the guitar tone. This could be a good sample of that Angus Young sound but unless you play it like he would or at least in the ballpark it won't do you any good. Good luck and have fun with Back in Black.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Gaustu

Hi Jim, thank you for your post.

as for me there is too much low end in this patch. I tried it with both magn and piezo hex but no matter.
the overall palette seems very similar to Bach in Black.
I would like to hear what others can say about this patch too.

And I'm going to make my version of this soon. I plan to begin from Marshall modeling  because this is what those guys used if I am not mistaken
Parker PDF85 modified: Sustainiac, SD TB-4, Piezo Hexpander 13 pin out.
GR-55 mod with 13 din thru, 6 analog outputs D-Sub => Presonus FS Mobile  8 analog inputs.
NI Reactor matchHEX Guitar Framer Ensemble custom.

Gaustu

What does fit better?

GR-55 mod with 13 din thru, 6 analog outputs D-Sub => Presonus FS Mobile  8 analog inputs.

Jim Williams

They are both very good tones and it would be nice if you posted the patches. as for the low end issue I think it is a matter of when I made the patches I was using my computers audio interface and that has a lot to do with the way they sound with other gear. for my live sound I turn off the speaker sims and play through a JC120 and that tone is completely different. The preamps sound way better with real speakers.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

alexmcginness

best way to match patches to the tone your after is to use Har-Bal.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Gaustu

Quote from: Jim Williams on March 26, 2014, 06:50:24 PM
They are both very good tones and it would be nice if you posted the patches. as for the low end issue I think it is a matter of when I made the patches I was using my computers audio interface and that has a lot to do with the way they sound with other gear. for my live sound I turn off the speaker sims and play through a JC120 and that tone is completely different. The preamps sound way better with real speakers.

here it is about it and patches   https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10936.0

Gaustu

Quote from: alexmcginness on March 27, 2014, 02:32:09 AM
best way to match patches to the tone your after is to use Har-Bal.

ah yes!  But it needs to have a chunk with a separate guitar sound
and it will have the best results if you analize D chord and then aply this to the same D chord of your sound

alexmcginness

Quote from: Gaustu on March 28, 2014, 05:21:54 PM
ah yes!  But it needs to have a chunk with a separate guitar sound
and it will have the best results if you analize D chord and then aply this to the same D chord of your sound

The beginning of back in black is isolated enough to use Har-Bal. Of course youll want to play the same chords or licks as youre trying to analyze as it makes it much easier. Im currently doing a clone of Alvin Lees guitar sound in Im Going Home from the woodstock album. The beginning is just his guitar and a heck of a lot of crowd noise. First you create a patch to get you into the ballpark then use Har-Bal to get you closer.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

shopstartuk

Quote from: Gaustu on March 28, 2014, 05:19:42 PM
here it is about it and patches   https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10936.0

Can you please explain how you use Har-bal to do this?

thanks.
Fender Strat Plus Delux
Fender Tele 60th
Roland GR 55